Menu

Be thinking about us in South Louisiana please

They are opening the Morganza today. There are many of us that our homes are in the path. Our mayor says we should be ok, but it's putting a lot of trust in a lot of structures. One failure would mean being in grave danger. We are packing to leave at a moments notice. It's a hard thing to do....really. We are expecting water here in 3-5 days.

For those not down here, I'm in Morgan City (has been on national news over and over. In fact, if you saw that in the national news, you likely saw my neighborhood.)

I immediately thought of WTM'ers this morning when I saw people evacuating. I cannot imagine the uneasiness you are feeling. Praying for all of you. It's heartbreaking to watch it all play out. :grouphug:

There are people WAY worse off than me. A town (Stephensville) is about 10 minutes from me but very low, will certainly flood. They are in the fight of their lives right now. It's very sad. I have many friends out there that have been sandbagging day and night for days.

They are saying our levee's will hold...but my thought is, the numbers are estimations...could be over or under what they told us.

They are opening the Morganza today. There are many of us that our homes are in the path. Our mayor says we should be ok, but it's putting a lot of trust in a lot of structures. One failure would mean being in grave danger. We are packing to leave at a moments notice. It's a hard thing to do....really. We are expecting water here in 3-5 days.

For those not down here, I'm in Morgan City (has been on national news over and over. In fact, if you saw that in the national news, you likely saw my neighborhood.)

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

I have been. My heart breaks for everyone in the flooded areas. I am so sorry you are in this area!

:grouphug: My heart is breaking. I'm scared for Morgan City. I cannot even fathom the thought that Butte La Rose is going to be completely under water. I have so many good memories of that place. I am praying that the levees hold. I'm angry that MY people are seen as collateral damage. I'm sad that the good people of the basin have to suffer for Baton Rouge and New Orleans.

I hope Morgan City is ok. I hope your family can get out quickly if it isn't.

I'm out of the loop here... why in the world are they opening this and deliberately flooding people?

It's the lesser of 2 evils. Either flood heavily populated Baton Rouge and New Orleans (worse than Katrina) or flood the smaller towns/cities. It's a horrible situation and I am glad I am not the one to make the decision to open the flood gates.

:grouphug: Hugs and prayers for all of you in harms way.

I'm out of the loop here... why in the world are they opening this and deliberately flooding people?

To prevent the water from going to more populated areas.

Basically, to prevent flooding in New Orleans and Baton Rouge. If the Mississippi River gets too high in those areas, river traffic will have to stop. New Orleans is a hugh port, so the economy stands to lose millions of dollars if New Orleans floods. Here is the expected flood area. I saw an inundation map if the Morganza Spillway remained closed. Basically, the flooding would be much more widespread and in much more highly populated areas. Not much comfort for those in the current flood zone.

We've been dealing with the flooding here, too. Our city was spared the worst of it, but we're surrounded by destruction and it's not over yet. I'm so glad for the Army Corps and the fact that they CAN control, to a degree, the disaster and have had such an organized, calm reaction to the historic flooding. That doesn't make it any easier for you in the spillways, I know. I hope you are spared total loss of property and get to higher ground safely. I wouldn't want to be the one making these decisions, but I know they don't make them lightly-has the Morganza Spillway ever even been opened before??

I wouldn't want to be the one making these decisions, but I know they don't make them lightly-has the Morganza Spillway ever even been opened before??

This article says:

The spillway, built in 1954 and not opened since 1973, can release 600,000 cubic feet of water per second at maximum capacity.

It's so scary. Our flooding here in the north doesn't begin to compare and just watching the water come up several feet every time they adjusted a dam was unnerving! Praying for all involved and hoping it's not as bad as projected!

:grouphug: My heart is breaking. I'm scared for Morgan City. I cannot even fathom the thought that Butte La Rose is going to be completely under water. I have so many good memories of that place. I am praying that the levees hold. I'm angry that MY people are seen as collateral damage. I'm sad that the good people of the basin have to suffer for Baton Rouge and New Orleans.

I hope Morgan City is ok. I hope your family can get out quickly if it isn't.

I'm praying too and for some reason feel the same as above. (I'm not from LA) but I feel as though I should defend you somehow.:grouphug:

Thank you for all of the thoughts and prayers. We don't have any water yet...expected on Tuesday. Trying to pack everything up now just in case. I'm packing to go camping too...that's where we will evacuate to. This is hard...i have no dishes, etc in the camper. So I'm having to pack/almost pack, etc to be able to leave in 1 hour or less. I didn't realize how tough it would be to do that. I think I'm not going to worry so much about stuff I can get at walmart easily and just pack what I have readily available and won't hurt our family if we don't have it accessible. I don't know how else to do it.

This is a hard thing...*sigh*

I'll be updating with pictures here in a bit on my blog. When I have time to edit pictures, post, etc. Probably tonight.

Thank you for all of the thoughts and prayers. We don't have any water yet...expected on Tuesday. Trying to pack everything up now just in case. I'm packing to go camping too...that's where we will evacuate to. This is hard...i have no dishes, etc in the camper. So I'm having to pack/almost pack, etc to be able to leave in 1 hour or less. I didn't realize how tough it would be to do that. I think I'm not going to worry so much about stuff I can get at walmart easily and just pack what I have readily available and won't hurt our family if we don't have it accessible. I don't know how else to do it.

This is a hard thing...*sigh*

I'll be updating with pictures here in a bit on my blog. When I have time to edit pictures, post, etc. Probably tonight.

It must be incredibly hard. :grouphug:

One thought, if your current dishes would work in the camper, pack them there now, and just use paper in the house. That way if you have to go, you've got them where you'll need them. I'd tend to think that way more than the other way. You can always move things back into the house if it's not as bad as they say. :grouphug:

It must be incredibly hard. :grouphug:

One thought' date=' if your current dishes would work in the camper, pack them there now, and just use paper in the house. That way if you have to go, you've got them where you'll need them. I'd tend to think that way more than the other way. You can always move things back into the house if it's not as bad as they say. :grouphug:[/quote']

yes...and after talking to someone lost pretty much everything in Nashville's flood last spring, you may NOT be able to get them clean (if your house is underwater). w/all the chemicals in the water, my dh's friend ended up tossing even their glasses and dishes because they were coated with something icky, they couldn't get off.

Hugs and prayers from New Orleans.

I honestly wish there was a better way to handle the overflowing Mississippi than to flood other areas. I understand the reason behind, but I don't like it. I'm also not trust of the Army Corp after Katrina and I'm worried about us here, even if they claim we are safe. Yesterday I saw a barge over the top of the levee on the river, being pushed by a tug boat. I have never seen a barge up that high. The river is scary right now.