Menu

So done trying to sell curriculum!

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never sold anything, and hate to ask...but what is the problem? I've bought a lot of stuff and so I don't get it. You post "For Sale", I PM you "I want that", I send money same day, you mail books (hopefully within a few days)....??? Or is it that people will say they will send money and don't or what?

That stinks. I have gotten so much great used curriculum and really appreciate people selling it to me.

I've never sold anything, and hate to ask...but what is the problem? I've bought a lot of stuff and so I don't get it. You post "For Sale", I PM you "I want that", I send money same day, you mail books (hopefully within a few days)....??? Or is it that people will say they will send money and don't or what?

That stinks. I have gotten so much great used curriculum and really appreciate people selling it to me.

I'm curious, too. I have bought used, but am just hitting the point where I will be selling.

Right there with you! If I can't sell it with the Amazon buyback, I just don't bother anymore. I feel much better giving it away than dealing with crooks and cheapskates too. THe ONLY place I have had mostly good experienes is on Yahoo Groups cathswap and even then...some people!

I have found that some people want to pay pennies on the dollar for what I bought brand new last year and used for one school year. I try to price things fairly (so it enables me to purchase more curriculum and so that it helps others to get a break and not have to pay full price.)

Sorry that you have had these bad experiences with buyers.

I always thought it would be a hassle, and never had anything to sell, but I was just going through my shelves the other day and ended up listing a bunch of stuff to sell, and I've sold 4 or 5 things since yesterday and payment for most of them came through almost immediately. Maybe I got lucky? :001_huh: I pretty much always buy used...I wouldn't be able to afford it if everyone stopped selling!

I always thought it would be a hassle, and never had anything to sell, but I was just going through my shelves the other day and ended up listing a bunch of stuff to sell, and I've sold 4 or 5 things since yesterday and payment for most of them came through almost immediately. Maybe I got lucky? :001_huh: I pretty much always buy used...I wouldn't be able to afford it if everyone stopped selling!

I've sold a lot, and rarely have any issues. I've found most people pay promptly and communicate well.

One of the most annoying things I've encountered--selling a curric worth over $100 for the cost of shipping--& someone pm's me to see if I'll sell it cheaper.

I've miscalculated shipping & ended up basically paying someone to take something. Not their fault at all, but I've found that the real cost of shipping is high enough that it's really hard to sell something for anything.

People selling things for $1 less than the Amazon price, just because that's half of what *they* paid drives me batty. Yes, it's their prerogative, & people are free to buy at those prices, but both the buying & the selling in this scenario raises my blood pressure. :lol:

I've had good experiences, though. I won't buy from someone w/ less than a certain # of posts or someone whose posts are almost all on the for sale boards. I also won't sell to people w/ low post counts or who seem to be here for nothing but buying/selling. With a couple of exceptions, I've also only bought stuff in the $20 & below range, so that if there's a loss, it doesn't kill me.

So far, no losses buying or selling, & it's kind-of nice to get to know people in a different way. :001_smile:

Last year I sold LOT----but for a huge loss. But I did sell and it felt good to clear shelves. This year, I have newer stuff I was trying to sell and found that if I listed practically BRAND NEW items for even close to what I paid not even a year ago-----I didn't get ANY responses. Go a little lower, get a response of 'I want it and do you take PP?' and then never get a payment or response back to my inquiry! I have high school level items priced very fairly and no responses----and with shipping having gone up I am just worn out trying to sell fairly----and then get a few $$ for next year.

I have sold a few items so far, again, for a HUGE loss. And it doesn't feel so good this time around.

And to a pp who mentioned Cathswap----I quit that LONG ago!!! My Catholic friend and I have laughed hard over the years at just how cheap some buyers on there can be. I'm not trying to be mean, but it's like some people want the cheapest deal they can find and then don't consider that the seller's perhaps need some money to buy their own curriculum :confused:

One of the most annoying things I've encountered--selling a curric worth over $100 for the cost of shipping--& someone pm's me to see if I'll sell it cheaper.

I've miscalculated shipping & ended up basically paying someone to take something. Not their fault at all, but I've found that the real cost of shipping is high enough that it's really hard to sell something for anything.

People selling things for $1 less than the Amazon price, just because that's half of what *they* paid drives me batty. Yes, it's their prerogative, & people are free to buy at those prices, but both the buying & the selling in this scenario raises my blood pressure. :lol: Grr! No kidding, huh?

I've had good experiences, though. I won't buy from someone w/ less than a certain # of posts or someone whose posts are almost all on the for sale boards. I also won't sell to people w/ low post counts or who seem to be here for nothing but buying/selling. With a couple of exceptions, I've also only bought stuff in the $20 & below range, so that if there's a loss, it doesn't kill me. Hey---no fair! I worked really hard to get those first 50 posts to sell items way back when :tongue_smilie:

So far, no losses buying or selling, & it's kind-of nice to get to know people in a different way. :001_smile:

:lol: Those are my bolded inserts above----I'm really bad at this!

Hmmm, that's interesting. I've never tried to sell anything, but I'm sick of trying to buy. I got totally burned once (I sent money and never heard from her again) and sent a 'is this still available' question and that wasn't responded to for a couple of weeks.

I did have one wonderful transaction.

Hmmm' date=' that's interesting. I've never tried to sell anything, but I'm sick of trying to buy. I got totally burned once (I sent money and never heard from her again) and sent a 'is this still available' question and that wasn't responded to for a couple of weeks.

I did have one wonderful transaction.[/quote']

I keep hearing this too, which is really sad here! I'll bet this is putting a damper on buyers too :glare:

Never had any problems here (except one but it wasn't really a problem..just a lesson learned on my part :001_smile:). I've had so many generous sellers and try to be generous in my listings as well. Economy is bad, people are in bad financial situations everywhere. Everyone is looking for a deal. Just the way it is. :D

:lol: Those are my bolded inserts above----I'm really bad at this!

I'm not talking people who get 50 posts & then sell a few things. I'm talking people who have, say, 200 posts, & 150 of them are selling things. The other 50? They're answering questions about curriculum & saying, "I have this for sale--pm me if you're interested."

ETA: I don't come here to buy/sell curric; I come for the community. Then, if I have stuff to buy/sell, I love the opportunity to do that w/ people I know & trust. 50 posts seems like a really, really low threshold to me. But my problem isn't w/ thinking of things to post about but stopping the posting in order to make dinner/educate kids, lol.

Edited by Aubrey

Last year I sold LOT----but for a huge loss. But I did sell and it felt good to clear shelves. This year, I have newer stuff I was trying to sell and found that if I listed practically BRAND NEW items for even close to what I paid not even a year ago-----I didn't get ANY responses. Go a little lower, get a response of 'I want it and do you take PP?' and then never get a payment or response back to my inquiry! I have high school level items priced very fairly and no responses----and with shipping having gone up I am just worn out trying to sell fairly----and then get a few $$ for next year.

I have sold a few items so far, again, for a HUGE loss. And it doesn't feel so good this time around.

And to a pp who mentioned Cathswap----I quit that LONG ago!!! My Catholic friend and I have laughed hard over the years at just how cheap some buyers on there can be. I'm not trying to be mean, but it's like some people want the cheapest deal they can find and then don't consider that the seller's perhaps need some money to buy their own curriculum :confused:

When a used price goes above *about* 75% of the new cost of an item, incl shipping, the savings has to be weighed against the risk. For ex, if an item is $20 on Amazon w/ free shipping, then buying it here for $15pp makes me ask myself: am I willing to risk losing $15 in order to save $5? Usually, the answer is no.

I realize, though, that if you pay $20 for something, $10ppd is less than 50% return. In that case, I'd probably add $2 for shipping, sell for $12ppd, expect to make about $8, get to the post office & faint at the $5 shipping cost, decide not to sell online any more, take my stuff to Half Price books, cry when they offer me 50c for everything, & then cycle through the whole process again. :lol:

It's tough both ways, but it's icky to feel like you're picking ea other over for $1, so I try not to do that. I really try to aim for 50% in my pricing, & I don't respond to posts that seem too high to me.

I feel more comfortable selling/buying on E-bay and paying with regular Paypal than I do here. We are in such a place that I couldn't afford to lose money on a bad buy and I'm afraid of that after reading many posts along those lines.

I've made the most $$ on curricula by selling on E-Bay and starting 7-day auctions at .99. Yes, you do take a risk that the $100 item will only go for .99, but in my experience I've made the highest percentage of original sale price to resale price. Bonus is that I'm not determining what others are willing to pay. Last month I made over $600 selling old curricula. A couple of items sold for between $0.99 and $3.00. Most of them sold for 75% of the original price. A few sold for close to 90% of the original price. :D

I snipped this from a post I made here on a different thread recently:

Some advice:

I lost money on any sale that went for .99 *and* I offered media mail shipping. By the time I added E-bay fees, Paypal fees, delivery confirmation fee, and cost of packaging, it actually cost me money to sell the item.

So, I learned either 1) offer media mail shipping, but add a "handling" charge to it to cover the difference or 2) offer everything "USPS Priority Mail flat rate shipping". I prefer the flat rate shipping with the post office's packaging because it saves me a ton of time and energy, plus they will pick it up for free.

Edited by Heather in WI

I've developed a thick skin after selling on ebay for awhile. I'll be selling my stuff there in August, maybe sooner. I understand the feeling though. It took me a long time to get used to the dumb questions and the rude comments.

One guy told me my shipping was too high and that I could ship it flat rate for cheaper. Okay. Only problem was that I was using the flat rate box. :)

I just answer politely and calmly and let it go.

I'm sorry you've had a bad experience (or many) though. It stinks.

When a used price goes above *about* 75% of the new cost of an item, incl shipping, the savings has to be weighed against the risk. For ex, if an item is $20 on Amazon w/ free shipping, then buying it here for $15pp makes me ask myself: am I willing to risk losing $15 in order to save $5? Usually, the answer is no.

I realize, though, that if you pay $20 for something, $10ppd is less than 50% return. In that case, I'd probably add $2 for shipping, sell for $12ppd, expect to make about $8, get to the post office & faint at the $5 shipping cost, decide not to sell online any more, take my stuff to Half Price books, cry when they offer me 50c for everything, & then cycle through the whole process again. :lol:

It's tough both ways, but it's icky to feel like you're picking ea other over for $1, so I try not to do that. I really try to aim for 50% in my pricing, & I don't respond to posts that seem too high to me.

:iagree: There are certain things that will sell for more than this, but not most. I have had great luck with buying and selling on this board. I think I've had one problem in all the years I've been on here and it was just that the person was obnoxious. Other than that, I've always had courteous, prompt responses. If someone asks me to lower my price, I consider it and if I don't want to, I let them know that I'm not ready to lower it.

I haven't had as much to sell this year as of yet, but I have sold a few things and have had no problems at all. I've also bought a few things over the last few months and had them arrive in the condition they were stated to be in and within a reasonable amount of time.

Lisa

Edited by LisaTheresa

If it wasn't for used curriculum and people listing things low we would have no curriculum at all. I joke with dh that 25% of my free time is erasing things in used workbooks. Sadly I was ripped off on my first transaction here and itĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s made me leery of buying used at all. I haven't sold anything here yet but I always go super low I am happy to make back 1/2 of what I spent on any given item. I have a postal scale so I generally estimate my shipping and add that plus the PP fees to the amount I wish to make on said item. I donĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t mind when folks ask for a discounted price (not saying I honor every request) but I kind treat selling forums like a yardsale and open to haggling. All that to say don't stop selling I don't know if this forum has a area for gifting but some forums I belong to people can make a list of items they need/want and you can anonymously send them items on their list. That would be a wonderful way to bless others with items you don't need any more if you are not up for the hassles of selling.

When a used price goes above *about* 75% of the new cost of an item, incl shipping, the savings has to be weighed against the risk. For ex, if an item is $20 on Amazon w/ free shipping, then buying it here for $15pp makes me ask myself: am I willing to risk losing $15 in order to save $5? Usually, the answer is no...

I really try to aim for 50% in my pricing, & I don't respond to posts that seem too high to me.

:iagree: Since Aubrey already took the time to write out what I was thinking, I'll just agree! I think it's very unrealistic to expect to sell used curriculum for more than 75% of what a new item can be purchased for. And that would only be for high demand items; most will get 50-60%. I have bought quite a bit on this board, but I won't even consider an item if I think it's listed too high.

:iagree: Since Aubrey already took the time to write out what I was thinking, I'll just agree! I think it's very unrealistic to expect to sell used curriculum for more than 75% of what a new item can be purchased for. And that would only be for high demand items; most will get 50-60%. I have bought quite a bit on this board, but I won't even consider an item if I think it's listed too high.

Agreeing with Aubree and Denise. I buy both used and new. I don't buy anything used unless it is close to half of the new price. When I sell, I list things at 1/2 of the new price. Why would I buy something used for $17.00 when I can get is brand new with a guarantee for $20.00?

ETA -- IMO, it is better to get back half of your money. Something is better than nothing.

Agreeing with Aubree and Denise. I buy both used and new. I don't buy anything used unless it is close to half of the new price. When I sell, I list things at 1/2 of the new price. Why would I buy something used for $17.00 when I can get is brand new with a guarantee for $20.00?

ETA -- IMO, it is better to get back half of your money. Something is better than nothing.

Exactly! Because then, you essentially got the product NEW for 1/2 price.

:iagree: I'm not going to pay more than 65% for used curriculum, if I can't get it for less than that, I will buy it new. I've had great transactions buying here.

I love the for sale forum!!! I have never had a bad experience selling or buying here. :D

I do not buy anything that is more than 50% of the new price, nor do I sell anything for more than 50%.

I use Sonlight and I usually buy it new, so I do ask for 50% when I sell it.

:grouphug: I'm sorry to hear of your troubles. I have not sold any curriculum on here (or anywhere) yet. But I value the boards because I scour them all the time looking for the items we need. If all the sellers left discouraged, it would sure be a sad day for honest buyers.

I do wonder what kind of great curriculum you guys have given away. No one gives curriculum away around where I live! :001_smile:

I've found that the real cost of shipping is high enough that it's really hard to sell something for anything.

I agree, this is a problem. Especially when I've seen example after example of people here freaking out when something shipped media mail hasn't arrived after 3 days. It's crazy. Plus, all of the people burned? I'm not sending w/o media mail, delivery confirmation and insurance. That pushes the price for me way up. I practically gave away the last batch of stuff I sold. I have an entire crate of things I need to get rid of, but I'm reluctant to bother. I think I will probably take it all to the local used book store.

I don't see how so one could say they can't get their money's worth selling used curriculum.

I mean, one either you did use it and in that case got your full value, and ANY resale you get out of it IS an extra bonus

or

two, you didn't use it it at all and it just sat on your shelf collecting dust, so again, if you were able to sell it, then "bonus".

How can you not consider this getting your money's worth?

Yes, I get the annoying people trying to get it for dirt cheap. Say no politely and move on. I usually state that my price is firm so no one will ask for lower prices.

Alot of times I see people listing their stuff waaaay to high, which in that case I just move on. I mean, if I am buying used, that means I am looking for a deal. If you are only offering $5-10 off of the new price, I might as well go new (who doesn't like a shiny new book, lol!). I see that with the Apologia Elementary science books, they are rarely a good deal used....I usually just buy those new. I am not going to pay $28 for used, when I can get it for $35 (if not cheaper on sale) with free shipping at CBD.com. On the other hand, knowing that, that is why I sold mine for $20 when I listed it. That is a deal. Why not? I got my FULL value from as we used it and love it. Now I need the shelf space and even getting $20 is $$ I can use for something else.

I buy and sell used curriculum all of the time...like it is a bad habit, as in I check the For Sale boards daily if not more than once a day.

Yes, as a seller, I have had flakes who say they want it and then never pay. I have learned to just move on. I usually give them 24 hours from the time they said they would pay. If I don't hear from them, I move on the the next person who asked for it.

As a buyer, I try to pay within 24 hours, if I don't do it immediately. I have had one bad experience, which I posted here about when it happened, of a seller not shipping the curriculum, not responding to posts, not refunding my $$$. She finally did respond like 4 months later, and gave a refund, with some wonky story about her being in another country and international shipping (which was never mentioned in her For Sale post). But that is one out of many many purchases.

I think those that are getting bent out of shape over selling curriculum, well, maybe you are investing to much thought into it. It doesn't need to be that stressful, really.

Guest momk2000

I thought I had given up selling, but if I have something that is slightly used, with a good resale value, and in good condition, I will post it for sale. I have been donating a lot more stuff this year though. It just isn't always worth the time and effort.

it's like some people want the cheapest deal they can find and then don't consider that the seller's perhaps need some money to buy their own curriculum :confused:

Well yes, people DO want the best deal they can getĂ¢â‚¬Â¦ that's pretty normal. And no, most people don't think about "why" someone is selling somethingĂ¢â‚¬Â¦ which is also normal. When you go to a yard sale, do you wonder why that family is selling their stuff? Or do you just look around and see what kind of deals you can snag?

I'm not saying that ^^^ to be rude or unkind about itĂ¢â‚¬Â¦ it's just that I think it's pretty normal for people to want the best price they can get -- on BOTH sides of the deal. ;)

I don't see how so one could say they can't get their money's worth selling used curriculum.

I mean, one either you did use it and in that case got your full value, and ANY resale you get out of it IS an extra bonus

Because if I sell a SWO teacher's book for $6 (half of the purchase price) and it costs me $5 to ship, I haven't made any money on it at all when you add in my time, gas to the PO, etc. It's not a bonus, it's money I spend to send people a book.

Again, I have seen people freak out when they don't receive a book within a few days. Instead of stress about it, I'd rather keep it or give it away to someone local or sell it to the local used bookstore.

I have found it's not worth it to sell curricula online. It's just not. That's not an indictment of anyone, it's just my experience.

Because if I sell a SWO teacher's book for $6 (half of the purchase price) and it costs me $5 to ship, I haven't made any money on it at all when you add in my time, gas to the PO, etc. It's not a bonus, it's money I spend to send people a book.

Again, I have seen people freak out when they don't receive a book within a few days. Instead of stress about it, I'd rather keep it or give it away to someone local or sell it to the local used bookstore.

I have found it's not worth it to sell curricula online. It's just not. That's not an indictment of anyone, it's just my experience.

:iagree: I quit listing things for the reasons above. I also add delivery confirmation at my own expense, mainly because I don't spend any of the money until I'm sure someone has received their books.

I usually give away or sell to a friend. I use paperbackswap sometimes, but if postage keep going up it will be cheaper to buy credits instead of swap books.

Okay----I hope me saying this isn't too inflammatory, but honestly, I just have to get it off of my chest! I am SOO done trying to sell gently to almost new curriculum online---here or anywhere else. I am simply tired of flakes and cheapskates. :glare:

That is all.

That's the exact same reason I quit too. I got so tired of being nickled and dimed. I was amazed at the number of people who wanted me to ship things free. I started donating everything to Good Will. It's just not worth the time and money to sell used items.

Obviously that is something that is not worth selling. I have huge books that I know are going to cost me more in shipping than they are worth. I either give them away or they go in recycling.

I usually sell stuff for around 50% off what I paid. I am always amazed that people try to sell used stuff for either the same retail price as new or for $5 or $10 off. It would have to be at least 50% off for me to take a chance and buy something used from someone I don't know.

This is it for me exactly. I had many people wanting me to ship items for free in order to keep their costs down. While I understand their position, I don't think it's fair to me. People seem to forget that postage price is not the only part of shipping. I have to buy envelopes or boxes to send the items in, pay for delivery confirmation and sometimes insurance, pay for gas to drive the 14 mile round trip to the post office, and take time out of my day to drive there and stand in line which is always at least a 10 minute wait.

I'm not blaming anyone. I'm just giving the reasons why selling used items is not economical for me.

:iagree:And this is why I do not sell my old curriculum. I seriously have enough stuff (some of it never even used...that's a whole 'nother thread :glare:) to open a Rainbow Resource annex in my basement, but the hassle just doesn't seem worth it to me.

Okay----I hope me saying this isn't too inflammatory, but honestly, I just have to get it off of my chest! I am SOO done trying to sell gently to almost new curriculum online---here or anywhere else. I am simply tired of flakes and cheapskates.

:iagree:This is the same reason I don't have tag sales. Everyone wants everything for a quarter. I understand wanting a bargain, but come on. :glare:

Edited by Mejane

:iagree:This is the same reason I don't have tag sales. Everyone wants everything for a quarter. I understand wanting a bargain, but come on. :glare:

:iagree: We seriously had our LAST yard sale last spring. We rented a truck to get our stuff from the storage unit----and at first I thought the questions about "Are you moving??" were out of concern. Wrong. It was GREED----people thought they were going to get stuff even cheaper and were going around the yard trying to buy things for a few bucks that weren't even for sale. It was truly disgusting. And yes-----i had things priced REALLY cheap and still had the super cheapskates want things for a dime :glare:

And I don't go to yard sales because I am one of those people who DOES wonder why they are selling. And I know a lot of the times it's out of distress, and knowing how cheaply people want things at a yard sale, I can't stand to watch it. :001_huh:

I haven't had a problem buying or selling yet. I have had one person who dragged with payment and I had others inline waiting. I gave her 24 hours but lost one person waiting for an answer.

I get more nervous when it is over $20.00. This year I bought several items from one person for over $200.00 She just happened to have everything I needed. I was anxious until I got the books. She had good rating but, I was on pins and needles. Every dollar counts. I am grateful to buy from the boards. I buy both used and new.

As far as E bay goes I never get what I bid on. I must need a crash course in bidding on E bay. I have tried several times.

I need to move closer to someone who gives away books:D

:iagree: We seriously had our LAST yard sale last spring. We rented a truck to get our stuff from the storage unit----and at first I thought the questions about "Are you moving??" were out of concern. Wrong. It was GREED----people thought they were going to get stuff even cheaper and were going around the yard trying to buy things for a few bucks that weren't even for sale. It was truly disgusting. And yes-----i had things priced REALLY cheap and still had the super cheapskates want things for a dime :glare:

I come from a family of ... devoted… yard sale junkies. My grandmother can haggle you out of your front window curtains AND that brass door knocker you didn't even think could be seen from the front lawn.

You'd hate us. :p

I have to say, though, I have gotten some incredible deals from this board, and some very nice items, and one who sent all the stuff she'd made to go with the program. I've also sold non-homeschooling items elsewhere, and have had, by and large, a decent experience. I've also sold some books on half.com (including an old college textbook). I'd recommend that if you can find it in their catalog and don't want to bother with auctions and emails. They take ~15% and reimburse the actual cost of shipping, with no listing cost. At least you can try for a month or two and then yank it if you decide to send it to the thrift store. I listed an item there and on a place to sell to homeschoolers, and was able to sell to another mom before it sold on half, so I just removed the listing.

I did once list a CM book and was asked to send it for free so someone could donate it to someone else in her church. I was assumed to want to participate in her missionary activity, which I though was a bit presumptuous. Anyhow I declined and was able to sell it.

Edited by stripe

I sold a lot of books last year here and on another board. I thought media mail made shipping quite reasonable considering the weight of what I was shipping!

Most transactions went very well. Only a few times were people looking for ISBNs of textbooks so they could in turn get them for $2 elsewhere.... and a few actually gave addresses to ship to without paying.... but I knew better than to ship to them.

It does take some time to do it and with my youngest going into 12th grade, I need to have a real summer. I'll still sell things, but will try to keep it "contained" into night time hours so we can have a summer!

:iagree:And this is why I do not sell my old curriculum. I seriously have enough stuff (some of it never even used...that's a whole 'nother thread :glare:) to open a Rainbow Resource annex in my basement, but the hassle just doesn't seem worth it to me.

You could have a curriculum sell -off with local homeschoolers.