Menu

You won't believe the email I got today.....

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Northern California--Silicon Valley--lots of people around here! Conference choices are mostly either unschooley or HSLDA/Christian. There are a smattering of classical schools--Gene Veith spoke at one earlier this year. Julie Bogart spoke nearby earlier this year as well--about 60 people came to her day and half-long presentations. 2 of us from the boards attended both of these functions. We could host you, SWB! And we could get a good site and a pretty good sized crowd!

I'll bet we could draw 200 people easily, probably many more. And this is a fun place to visit! Lots of great wild nature, antiquity collections, beautiful San Francisco just up the way, the Monterey Bay Aquarium in the other direction, Steinbeck sites galore, NASA, the Computer History Museum, etc. etc. etc.

Okay. Now I'm swooning. And a plug for my area: I have downsized and don't have the house for this anymore, but I will do what I can to HELP anyone in the Sea/Port area. The population is skewed toward Pugetopolis but we have a solid base out here in WA/OR!

:iagree: If you go for the Portland area (to hit both WA and OR), I'd love to participate/help out. We're about an hour south, and I know *many* people from my nook of the world who would love to attend.

Edited by Heidi @ Mt Hope

Oh, sure, but I mean something even bigger and more public. Most people that aren't homeschoolers aren't really aware of it at the present time. I think that's going to change.

I actually hope you are correct. I am tired of people equating homeschooling with being fundamentalist or home educating for religious reasons, and I am even more tired of people assuming that because I choose secular curriculum that I am not Christian, or that because I am not a young Earth Creationist, I am not Christian enough.

My biggest complaint though is all of the people I know who won't even entertain the idea of God because they equate Christianity with Fundamentalist and want no parts of it. If ministry is the goal, I think sometimes God must cry at what is done and said in his name.

There is one in VA with Joyce Hakim as the key speaker.

I attended this conference last week and it was excellent! It is all inclusive and focused on academics. My favorite sessions were on Writing and Latin.

It was small compared to many of the line ups I have seen with other conventions, but refreshing to see and hear a focus on Academics and teaching. :D

Oh, Lisa, I want you!

OK, two things.

First, I really am going to work on this "house conference" thing for next year. Ideally? I'd get seven or eight hosts who would be willing to invite others to their homes, preferably within a two-state area. I'd fly into the nearest airport, rent a car, and schedule, say, a four hour lecture/discussion series at each house. The host would have to commit to publicizing the event and finding a certain number of attendees who would bring their own books and curricula for others to examine, plus I'd bring samples of all our stuff.

I have some ideas about the money end, but I'm still formulating.

Second: There is definitely a schism coming; in my opinion it will be between those who see home education as PRIMARILY serving the specifically Christian purpose of reclaiming families for God, and those who see home education as PRIMARILY about educating kids. Notice these things don't have to be mutually exclusive, but I think one is always going to dominate and to affect how you view other home schoolers.

You guys all know that I'm a Christian. But I'm in the second camp. I'm an educator. I want you to be able to teach your kids how to read and write and think and understand history. (Just to make my position clear.) I actually tend to think that when I'm doing that, and doing it well, I'm bringing glory to God. Anybody remember Chariots of Fire? "When I run, I feel His pleasure." It's a vocation for me. I don't need to see your statement of faith before I talk to you about writing.

SWB

I live in Gloucester, and you know that is just a stones throw from Williamsburg. I would happily open my home, or do anything possible to help arrange something in "our neck of the woods".

I am just outside of Nashville, Tn. My house would only accomodate maybe 30 people for a 4 hour get together, but we have several large hotels with very nice conference rooms. I wouldn't know the first thing about organizing something like this but would be more than willing to do all the organizing, calling and legwork if someone wanted to walk me through it. Maybe someone else in this area, or several people, would be willing to co-host here.

How exciting to think this could actually happen! Homeschoolers getting together to talk about education. It would be a dream come true. And to get to hear SWB speak in person would be like the rainbow sprinkles my dc always put on our chocolate iced, chocolate cake!

If you come to Cincinnati, I will take you to all the cool bars and we can look at our purchases and discuss grammar and history over screwdrivers (sorry, I don't do tequila). Believe it or not, this town has a great music scene.

:bigear: Now THIS sounds fun!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

THERE IS SOMEONE ELSE IN THE HOMESCHOOLING WORLD WHO "GETS" ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

<deep breath>

<deep breath>

Okay.

So, I live in the middle of no where. You KNOW I am sitting here like Horshack going "Oooh! Ooh ooh!! PICK ME!!!" And though I live along a pretty cool wine trail, near an excellent martini bar ;), walking distance from Food Network's favorite barbeque, and have a decently large house, I am a realist, and know that I don't live in the ideal geographic location.

However.

I would be more than happy to put something together in St. Louis, which is just under two hours from my home. I am up there frequently because of my daughter's medical issues. Given that it is a major metropolitan area and right smack-dab in the middle of the US, I think the location might work out.

Or would you all rather have a giant slumber party at my house???

Ok, I for one LOVE the idea of a giant slumber party. Hanging out in our jammies, chatting with SWB about homeschooling, notebooks and chocolate in hand...now that's my idea of a great homeschool conference! I'm so there. :auto:

My house is way too small, but I would be HONORED to rent my development's clubhouse here in the Poconos and handle any and all logistics. I bet I could even work out discounted Great Wolf rates for WTM'ers who would like to travel for it. ;)

We are 2 hours from either major airport though (Philly and Newark). There are several smaller airports within an hour of us, but I'm not familiar with their flight routes.

A few years back (2004) I organized a small social convention for about 60 people. We met in a hotel for a weekend at an unpopular time of year (January).

- We were able to get two hotel meeting rooms for the weekend for $100 each.

- We were able to get a nice group discount on hotel room rates.

- The hotel made a deal that if we rented a total of 80 "room-nights," we could have one of their giant two-bedroom suites with a huge living room for the price of a regular hotel room. That was our "hospitality suite," where people hung out at every hour of the day or night and shared food.

- We had a fancy Sunday brunch which made the conference significantly more attractive to the hotel. They gave us the brunch room for free; of course, we paid a fair amount for hotel food. But it was yummy.

The total cost per person, including brunch, was somewhere around $50 plus your own hotel costs. Yes, that would be more than meeting in people's homes - but think how many more of us could go, and how fun it would be to have slumber parties and hang out. :D

This is a depressed economy with high gas prices. Hotels are hurting for business. I would not be at all surprised if we could get an excellent deal on hotel rooms and meeting space, if we held Homeschool Festivus at a time when people are less likely to travel. (Maybe October, somewhere without pretty leaves?) With no need for a large vendor hall, conference services, etc., this could happen in almost any hotel anywhere.

If y'all want to come to Baltimore, I would be happy to find a hotel and make the arrangements. (Southwest flies here!) If consensus is that it would be better elsewhere, having some experience with this I would be happy to advise whoever wants to find a hotel.

:iagree: Especially since there are a lot of us:D This way we could all go;)

Oh, Lisa, I want you!

OK, two things.

First, I really am going to work on this "house conference" thing for next year. Ideally? I'd get seven or eight hosts who would be willing to invite others to their homes, preferably within a two-state area. I'd fly into the nearest airport, rent a car, and schedule, say, a four hour lecture/discussion series at each house. The host would have to commit to publicizing the event and finding a certain number of attendees who would bring their own books and curricula for others to examine, plus I'd bring samples of all our stuff.

Second: There is definitely a schism coming; in my opinion it will be between those who see home education as PRIMARILY serving the specifically Christian purpose of reclaiming families for God, and those who see home education as PRIMARILY about educating kids. Notice these things don't have to be mutually exclusive, but I think one is always going to dominate and to affect how you view other home schoolers.

You guys all know that I'm a Christian. But I'm in the second camp. I'm an educator. I want you to be able to teach your kids how to read and write and think and understand history. (Just to make my position clear.) I actually tend to think that when I'm doing that, and doing it well, I'm bringing glory to God. Anybody remember Chariots of Fire? "When I run, I feel His pleasure." It's a vocation for me. I don't need to see your statement of faith before I talk to you about writing.

SWB

I love that I have found my people.

SWB

:thumbup::hurray:

Thank you so much for saying this. I can look in a microscope for the glory of God or in a telescope. I can bring glory to God when I teach my kids math or to write a well turned phrase.

I do have to say that there is another devisive movement in Christian homeschooling- the whole father is the head concept and applying it to homeschooling. I hate hearing speakers who make it off like if your husband isn't leading Bible lessons every morning, you are doing something wrong. In my family's case, and in most families I know, Dad works. Often Dad travels in his work or gets deployed. We aren't second class families but some speakers seem to imply that since Dad isn't actively involved in all aspects of homeschooling.

When I began homechooling, I had hoped that we could participate in the local co-op. But it was evident that the subtext of Husband as Authority in All Things was woven into their philosophy and methodology.

There is definitely a schism coming; in my opinion it will be between those who see home education as PRIMARILY serving the specifically Christian purpose of reclaiming families for God, and those who see home education as PRIMARILY about educating kids. Notice these things don't have to be mutually exclusive, but I think one is always going to dominate and to affect how you view other home schoolers.

Again, I thank you Susan for giving me the tool box which served as a starting point for my son's excellent home education.

Even though I am no longer home schooling, I would love to tag along to one of these WTM get togethers for the chocolate/red wine session.

Jane

Even though I am no longer home schooling, I would love to tag along to one of these WTM get togethers for the chocolate/red wine session.

Jane

:iagree:

Even though I'm no longer homeschooling, I would help organize one of these events in MA.

It's about time there is another choice for homeschoolers!

Ditto. And I'm not really one or the other - I'm quite happy using Christian stuff or secular stuff. And to be honest - I think there are just as many zealots on the other extreme too - which is why I prefer to stay in the middle.

But this whole thing is...unsavory. :ack2:

I completely agree. It's extremely distastful.

Weirdly, I got this email, too (I don't remember signing up for The Teaching Home emails). I'm Canadian. I'm not going to go to a conference that emphasizes "American" (and I am more than happy to go to American conferences...just not ones where American is one of the two emphasis points.) I think that in an effort to appeal to a certain demographic, that some curriculum producers are shutting the door on more than 1 type of homeschooler. If something goes all "providencial history" on me, then it is off my list forever.

SWB

OH Susan, I'm not even Christian (or anything else) and what you wrote brought tears to my eyes. :001_smile:

A few years back (2004) I organized a small social convention for about 60 people. We met in a hotel for a weekend at an unpopular time of year (January).

- We were able to get two hotel meeting rooms for the weekend for $100 each.

- We were able to get a nice group discount on hotel room rates.

- The hotel made a deal that if we rented a total of 80 "room-nights," we could have one of their giant two-bedroom suites with a huge living room for the price of a regular hotel room. That was our "hospitality suite," where people hung out at every hour of the day or night and shared food.

- We had a fancy Sunday brunch which made the conference significantly more attractive to the hotel. They gave us the brunch room for free; of course, we paid a fair amount for hotel food. But it was yummy.

The total cost per person, including brunch, was somewhere around $50 plus your own hotel costs. Yes, that would be more than meeting in people's homes - but think how many more of us could go, and how fun it would be to have slumber parties and hang out. :D

This is a depressed economy with high gas prices. Hotels are hurting for business. I would not be at all surprised if we could get an excellent deal on hotel rooms and meeting space, if we held Homeschool Festivus at a time when people are less likely to travel. (Maybe October, somewhere without pretty leaves?) With no need for a large vendor hall, conference services, etc., this could happen in almost any hotel anywhere.

If y'all want to come to Baltimore, I would be happy to find a hotel and make the arrangements. (Southwest flies here!) If consensus is that it would be better elsewhere, having some experience with this I would be happy to advise whoever wants to find a hotel.

I love this idea! If I can drive there, I will be there. Unfortunately for me being in the lower corner of the US doesn't help my situation any. Once though, we did drive straight through to NYC.

Oh, Lisa, I want you!

OK, two things.

My house isn't even big enough for our family but I'm all over attending one. I hunger to be educated so I am better able to educate my child.

Yes, yes, please pick Dallas! It is central for several mid-sized cities, and I can already think of at least a dozen families locally that would drive the 4 hours for what you've described!

BTW- Before now I have never attended any homeschool convention, or even wanted to for that matter. Once again, SWB has changed my mind on a subject! :D

I would also be more than willing to help with Dallas. I would gladly offer my home if needed and help, plan, and participate in any way that I could be of use.

I am just outside of Nashville, Tn. My house would only accomodate maybe 30 people for a 4 hour get together, but we have several large hotels with very nice conference rooms. I wouldn't know the first thing about organizing something like this but would be more than willing to do all the organizing, calling and legwork if someone wanted to walk me through it. Maybe someone else in this area, or several people, would be willing to co-host here.

I'm not far from you, 5LittleMonkeys, and I'd be glad to help!

Thank goodness for this. I am so frustrated with this good Christian debate. My 10 year old said he wanted to go to Havard, instead of people saying how great he has high goals. I got scoffed at as if I was doing something wrong.

I am a Catholic in rural South Carolina and can't even find a local support group that doesn't have Christian (meaning their brand of Christian) in their name or insist everything curriculum wide have God/Jesus in every lesson. As a Catholic in the south I feel like a social misfit. I need to homeschool so my children get an education. I would love somewhere to go to look at books, that will prepare my children for the world, and will enable them to be anything they want to be.

I had 12 years of Catholic schooling and somehow I am looked at as a crazy liberal for my belief here. Who'd have thunk it? So I would hop in my truck and drive anywhere to have an educationally based homeschool anything. OK rant over.

I completely agree. It's extremely distastful.

Weirdly, I got this email, too (I don't remember signing up for The Teaching Home emails). I'm Canadian. I'm not going to go to a conference that emphasizes "American" (and I am more than happy to go to American conferences...just not ones where American is one of the two emphasis points.) I think that in an effort to appeal to a certain demographic, that some curriculum producers are shutting the door on more than 1 type of homeschooler. If something goes all "providencial history" on me, then it is off my list forever.

I'm :lol: that they are sending it out to Canadians without realizing it.

I'm confused. I'm not sure what the problem with this email is. It just looks like an advertisement for another HS conference. :confused:

Right, but when your main point of advertising is that you are NOT "those other guys?" Meh.
Isn't the point of advertising pointing out how your product is different or "better"?

That's because most of the "non-fundamentalists", as others are calling us, don't know or care about all this hooplah and so never visited any of the websites to read about it and therefore could not comment.....

If I didn't read these boards I would not have known about it and would have been shocked when I got there (because I feel certain that there will be inappropriate things going on there).....

:iagree:Me too.

If something goes all "providencial history" on me, then it is off my list forever.

Edited by Lovedtodeath

And I thank God for it.

I do not have the home for hosting, but I'm highly interested in this! I can bring curricula from my shelves and homemade cookies.:D

Oh, Lisa, I want you!

OK, two things.

SWB

This is a great idea! I would be more likely to attend something like this than a huge conference anyway.

Someone said something about bringing curriculum from their shelves. That is a great idea too.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

THERE IS SOMEONE ELSE IN THE HOMESCHOOLING WORLD WHO "GETS" ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

<deep breath>

<deep breath>

Okay.

So, I live in the middle of no where. You KNOW I am sitting here like Horshack going "Oooh! Ooh ooh!! PICK ME!!!" And though I live along a pretty cool wine trail, near an excellent martini bar ;), walking distance from Food Network's favorite barbeque, and have a decently large house, I am a realist, and know that I don't live in the ideal geographic location.

However.

I would be more than happy to put something together in St. Louis, which is just under two hours from my home. I am up there frequently because of my daughter's medical issues. Given that it is a major metropolitan area and right smack-dab in the middle of the US, I think the location might work out.

Or would you all rather have a giant slumber party at my house???

Hey, Sharee, I'm actually IN St. Louis county. Maybe we could work something out? Because most of the homeschoolers I hang out with are only vaguely aware that WTM exists BUT I can locate many of the local grapevines to spread the word. Also, organizing a large event is scary for me (egads, talking on the phone to strangers -- no way I'm volunteering for that!) but I've got lots of experience in inviting dozens of people to our house with no clue what I'm doing, and then figuring out how to accommodate them.

Hey, Sharee, I'm actually IN St. Louis county. Maybe we could work something out? Because most of the homeschoolers I hang out with are only vaguely aware that WTM exists BUT I can locate many of the local grapevines to spread the word. Also, organizing a large event is scary for me (egads, talking on the phone to strangers -- no way I'm volunteering for that!) but I've got lots of experience in inviting dozens of people to our house with no clue what I'm doing, and then figuring out how to accommodate them.

Here's one more STL WTMer! :seeya:

If one was held in St. Louis, I'd absolutely be interested in attending. I don't think I could organize anything (my oldest will only be three this summer!) but I'm always looking for an excuse to get out of the house and talk homeschooling. Or just get out of the house.

I didn't get "our product is better" from that email. I got we are AMERICAN and CHRISTLIKE (unlike that OTHER "Christian" group).

I assume that they are emphasizing American because it is in their name... Like McD's naming their food products Bic Mac and Mc Nuggets... IDK, I didn't get the email with the formatting and colors and all and I never knew anything about any homeschool conferences, including this stuff, so I guess my perspective is coming from ignorance here.

I have been one of the secular homeschoolers who have been lobbying GHC to be more inclusive.

Hasn't anyone noticed that, although GHC says that secular homeschoolers are welcome,

Sorry for the interruption, I posted before reading the whole thread and I want more planning of small conferences.

I would like to point out that not everyone is taking sides. This is a quote from an e-mail that I received from Knowledge Quest this AM. Most of the e-mail was just generic stuff about the Cincy convention, and then this:

"Just a quick note... we feel that it is not right to punish the conference goers by pulling out of the convention. Mistakes have been made all the way around but so have good steps toward reconciliation.

We love to meet and greet our customers and newsletter subscribers and look forward to doing so in Cincinnati. We hope that conference attendees won't get caught in the cross-fire of this hotly contested issue."

I personally don't have an issue with the e-mail. I think there are a lot of assumptions being spoken about due to the backdrop of recent days that may or may not be true.

I am a Christian and I feel I give glory to God by homeschooling but I don't feel I homeschool for religous reasons. I homeschool my kids to meet their academic needs that the public school could not meet so that my kids may grow up to glorify God. The religious/spiritual aspects would be taken care of regardless of our choice of schooling methods!

I do not think that is bad that homeschooling conventions are a certain type of Christian, etc. They started their convention and they have the right to dictate what they want. If you don't like, don't attend and start your own (which it seems is FINALLY being done). I personally don't attend the state convention here because it is more of a religous conference than an academic conference and I have more than enough spiritual support in place. I have a wonderful church that I happen to be in 4 times a week between Church, Small group, Scouts, and Homeschool Co-OP. I am in two Christian support groups and almost everything around here has a statement of faith attached to it (which really irks me to no end but the only other choices seem to be rabid liberals who won't accept me because I'm tea party). However, I would like someone to discuss writing, math, science, with and I would like to see these more secular or moderate Christian curriculums in person because I'm tired of dumping several hundred dollars on stuff that doesn't work for us.

It really is HARD being stuck between two stereotypes!

Ok--I'm totally confused. Is this what's going on:

Most homeschool conventions are run by Christian organizations. Secular homeschoolers wish there was a convention for them, or that all the different curric's could be in one big convention (Christian or no.)

I'm inferring that there are two big convention loops out there. (yes, no?)

One of the conventions has offended a bunch of people. (Is that the thing where the one speaker told people not to buy another curric that was being sold at the convention? And then later on fb mentioned SWB's name at the end?)

The other convention was getting complaints about the speaker who attacked a certain currc, so they sent an email to clarify their name. In the email, they went ahead and sent everyone their "mission statement," if you will, which had a lot of references to Christian or Christlike.

So....what's the big deal? What lines are being drawn? I'm really confused. One speaker at a convention got himself in hot water, so the other convention wanted to clarify that they weren't part of it....

Is there something else going on? Something about secular curric materials? Where does that come in? Does it have anything to do w/ the email? Is it because the 2nd convention's email kept saying "christian" and now the secular homeschoolers are feeling that they won't have a convention to go to?

What's going on!?! I've read the whole thread and honestly don't know why people are "gobsmacked." Not being snarky. There must be a subtext here I'm missing.

Edited by Garga

Most homeschool conventions are run by Christian organizations. Secular homeschoolers wish there was a convention for them, or that all the different curric's could be in one big convention (Christian or no.)

One of the conventions has offended a bunch of people. (Is that the thing where the one speaker told people not to buy another curric that was being sold at the convention? And then later on fb mentioned SWB's name at the end?)

The other convention was getting complaints about the speaker who attacked a certain currc, so they sent an email to clarify their name. In the email, they went ahead and sent everyone their "mission statement," if you will, which had a lot of references to Christian or Christlike.

So....what's the big deal? What lines are being drawn? I'm really confused. One speaker at a convention got himself in hot water, so the other convention wanted to clarify that they weren't part of it....

Is there something else going on? Something about secular curric materials? Where does that come in? Does it have anything to do w/ the email? Is it because the 2nd convention's email kept saying "christian" and now the secular homeschoolers are feeling that they won't have a convention to go to?

What's going on!?! I've read the whole thread and honestly don't know why people are "gobsmacked." Not being snarky. There must be a subtext here I'm missing.

I'm just as confused as you are. I'm not Christian and yet the email did not bother me in the least. :confused:

YES.

I don't know. I do know that the above referenced speaker IS appearing at some of the conventions run by this second ("American") group. Another distinction this second group is making is that they are non-profit and these conventions are run by state homeschooling organizations. It's important to note, for the record, that these state organizations are not STATE SPONSORED - they're Christian homeschooling groups organized by state (as geographical area).

And, there is the above "non-profit" versus "for profit" distinction AND maybe the whole idea of who has the exact right flavor of Christian.

The idea of secular materials came up at one point because several people wished that homeschooling conventions could be about EDUCATION rather than about RELIGION, and couldn't we all be trusted to read critically and make decisions for ourselves about what we'd like to use? There was also the camp of people who, while religious, don't believe the exact same details as the above mentioned speaker, and therefore want more choice in their materials. Secular doesn't have to equal "from the devil."

My comments are in purple in your quote.

SWB,

If you want to come to Europe, I have a WHOLE bunch of ladies who would be more than happy to wine and dine you, take you shopping, and listen, listen, listen!

asta

(p.s. These are folks who are homeschooling legally due to working with various US agencies, BTW)

Edited by asta

I attended this conference last week and it was excellent! It is all inclusive and focused on academics. My favorite sessions were on Writing and Latin.

It was small compared to many of the line ups I have seen with other conventions, but refreshing to see and hear a focus on Academics and teaching. :D

I'm swooning - a session on Latin! (I'm currently sorting through curricula trying to pick one to start ds on next year.)

I'm swooning - a session on Latin! (I'm currently sorting through curricula trying to pick one to start ds on next year.)

It was worth swooning about, but interestingly enough I discovered two important things. I lost my fear about teaching it, and more importantly that I don't want to teach it to my very young 3rd grader next year and feel it is better for him if I wait.

Oh, Lisa, I want you!

OK, two things.

SWB

I like the concept of point #1.

I understand where you are coming from in point #2.

Amen to the last part of your post!

:)

No, we've always had a small state conference, too. It's just that now the state conferences are jealous of the draw that these big conferences have, and of the fact that some folks go to the big conferences and skip the smaller state conferences (although that's not why we skip them, for the most part).

So now the state conferences are all joining together to oppose these other conferences in order to try to retain their market share.....

I never went to the state conference because it was 2 hours away and lodging was out of our budget. The one in Cinci, however is 30 minutes. I will probably continue to go there, simply for that reason, and of course, the fabulous speakers, like SWB :)