Menu

You won't believe the email I got today.....

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, Lisa, I want you!

OK, two things.

First, I really am going to work on this "house conference" thing for next year. Ideally? I'd get seven or eight hosts who would be willing to invite others to their homes, preferably within a two-state area. I'd fly into the nearest airport, rent a car, and schedule, say, a four hour lecture/discussion series at each house. The host would have to commit to publicizing the event and finding a certain number of attendees who would bring their own books and curricula for others to examine, plus I'd bring samples of all our stuff.

Okay. Now I'm swooning. And a plug for my area: I have downsized and don't have the house for this anymore, but I will do what I can to HELP anyone in the Sea/Port area. The population is skewed toward Pugetopolis but we have a solid base out here in WA/OR!

(And now my little rant about all these Great Whatevers, from the point of view of a secular-type: Do not all these people have enough churches to go to hear all about their religion? Can not all but the most geographically isolated USians find a sermon, a Bible group, a potluck, a women in Christ group 7 days a week? Are there not enough of us who just want to know how to get math to soak into the thick pates of our charges? Who want to know just how long an essay is acceptable from a 15 year old? Who want to know about workbooks that don't thwart lefties (I mean handedness, people)? Who want a little inspiration not on our afterlife and everlasting soul but how to make it summer without strangling our middle kid?)

Oh, Lisa, I want you!

OK, two things.

First, I really am going to work on this "house conference" thing for next year. Ideally? I'd get seven or eight hosts who would be willing to invite others to their homes, preferably within a two-state area. I'd fly into the nearest airport, rent a car, and schedule, say, a four hour lecture/discussion series at each house. The host would have to commit to publicizing the event and finding a certain number of attendees who would bring their own books and curricula for others to examine, plus I'd bring samples of all our stuff.

I have some ideas about the money end, but I'm still formulating.

Second: There is definitely a schism coming; in my opinion it will be between those who see home education as PRIMARILY serving the specifically Christian purpose of reclaiming families for God, and those who see home education as PRIMARILY about educating kids. Notice these things don't have to be mutually exclusive, but I think one is always going to dominate and to affect how you view other home schoolers.

You guys all know that I'm a Christian. But I'm in the second camp. I'm an educator. I want you to be able to teach your kids how to read and write and think and understand history. (Just to make my position clear.) I actually tend to think that when I'm doing that, and doing it well, I'm bringing glory to God. Anybody remember Chariots of Fire? "When I run, I feel His pleasure." It's a vocation for me. I don't need to see your statement of faith before I talk to you about writing.

SWB

Maybe we could actually put Faith's Columbus conference in practice in the same manner. Larger scale, same idea, just one central mini-conference as opposed to 4-5 house conferences. There are many options for convention centers close to CMH.

Second: There is definitely a schism coming; in my opinion it will be between those who see home education as PRIMARILY serving the specifically Christian purpose of reclaiming families for God, and those who see home education as PRIMARILY about educating kids. Notice these things don't have to be mutually exclusive, but I think one is always going to dominate and to affect how you view other home schoolers.

You guys all know that I'm a Christian. But I'm in the second camp. I'm an educator. I want you to be able to teach your kids how to read and write and think and understand history. (Just to make my position clear.) I actually tend to think that when I'm doing that, and doing it well, I'm bringing glory to God. Anybody remember Chariots of Fire? "When I run, I feel His pleasure." It's a vocation for me. I don't need to see your statement of faith before I talk to you about writing.

SWB

It's redundant, but thank you. You give me *hope.*

SWB

And I thank God for it.

Okay, and I'll plug for the middle of nowhere Maine. Late summer/early fall here is nice.

You know, I've been talking to this lady from the state group about something up this way today. It is almost like kismet.

You guys all know that I'm a Christian.... I'm an educator. ... I actually tend to think that when I'm doing that, and doing it well, I'm bringing glory to God. Anybody remember Chariots of Fire? "When I run, I feel His pleasure." It's a vocation for me.

SWB

Beautiful!

Thank you!

Wow. :) This is supposed to happen.

Oh, Lisa, I want you!

OK, two things.

SWB

Oh, Lisa, I want you!

OK, two things.

SWB

When do we sign up?

You don't need a convention center. Hotels all have conference rooms, how much could that cost? I live in a small town, and can think of several hotels that have this. The larger the city, the more options. I'm taking bets there will be too many to fit in a home!

Maybe we should do a poll to see where everyone is?

SWB

I do not have the home for hosting, but I'm highly interested in this! I can bring curricula from my shelves and homemade cookies.:D

Oh, Lisa, I want you!

OK, two things.

SWB

Okay, SWB, I adore you even more, and also? I'm volunteering my house.

Our conference is on the list. I've never been, but I've heard good things about them. They really have a desire to encourage homeschoolers. I havdn't read enough about this whole mess to choose a "side". I hate crap like this. Seems to me a lot of people on both sides just need to relax.

Oh, Lisa, I want you!

OK, two things.

SWB

:hurray:

I have a house in the north Dallas suburbs that will most definitely be open for this. I suspect a house probably won't be big enough, but I've got a line on a couple of options we could use - a community center and a church where a friend's husband is pastor.

You can definitely count me in for setting up Dallas if you want to do a house conference here.

It's a vocation for me. I don't need to see your statement of faith before I talk to you about writing.

SWB

:hurray::hurray: SWB, your vocation has had a profound influence on our homeschool. You are gifted and using your gifts to bless others and I thank you sincerely for that.

I too am a Christian, but I am also in the second camp. We pulled our oldest two out of a Classical Christian school so they could have a better education. We choose our materials with the perspective that we can teach our children our beliefs while exposing them to views that differ from ours. They need to be able to think, develop their beliefs and defend them. They need to be able to express themselves through written and spoken words. For us, homeschooling is an educational endeavor, not a religious endeavor. This has put us at odds with many other Christian homeschool families.

I do not go to a convention to learn how to be a better wife, to be spoon fed what to believe, or to be indoctrinated. I yearn for information on how to work with hormonal middle school girls, how to teach the bright boy who can do complicated math problems but cannot sit still for 5 minutes, how to teach writing and how to tackle the monumental task of homeschooling through high school. None of these are religious topics.

The house conference idea is an intriguing and important one. There are many community centers and neighborhood venues that could be used for this venture and the idea really supports the notion of a homeschool community better than any convention requiring a statement of faith ever could. Count me in. As home educators I believe we must stand against the notion that this movement belongs to a select group with select beliefs.

Oh, Lisa, I want you!

OK, two things.

SWB

What a cool idea!!!! Can I jump on the bandwagon???? Pretty please?? I don't currently have a house to offer (we are trying hard to leave this house and start a new life an hour north of us) but would definitely love to contribute in some way to an effort like this.

Oh, Lisa, I want you!

OK, two things.

SWB

i love this.

Love this. Just love it! I live near a beach/airport/trainstation in RI. Summers are amazing here, and not crazy like Cape Cod, etc. I'd host, happily. I know where to get inexpensive lobsters. Please come!

SWB--you are a credit to your faith. Does your husband fish? My DH know where the fish are running......

Edited by yellowperch

A few years back (2004) I organized a small social convention for about 60 people. We met in a hotel for a weekend at an unpopular time of year (January).

- We were able to get two hotel meeting rooms for the weekend for $100 each.

- We were able to get a nice group discount on hotel room rates.

- The hotel made a deal that if we rented a total of 80 "room-nights," we could have one of their giant two-bedroom suites with a huge living room for the price of a regular hotel room. That was our "hospitality suite," where people hung out at every hour of the day or night and shared food.

- We had a fancy Sunday brunch which made the conference significantly more attractive to the hotel. They gave us the brunch room for free; of course, we paid a fair amount for hotel food. But it was yummy.

The total cost per person, including brunch, was somewhere around $50 plus your own hotel costs. Yes, that would be more than meeting in people's homes - but think how many more of us could go, and how fun it would be to have slumber parties and hang out. :D

This is a depressed economy with high gas prices. Hotels are hurting for business. I would not be at all surprised if we could get an excellent deal on hotel rooms and meeting space, if we held Homeschool Festivus at a time when people are less likely to travel. (Maybe October, somewhere without pretty leaves?) With no need for a large vendor hall, conference services, etc., this could happen in almost any hotel anywhere.

If y'all want to come to Baltimore, I would be happy to find a hotel and make the arrangements. (Southwest flies here!) If consensus is that it would be better elsewhere, having some experience with this I would be happy to advise whoever wants to find a hotel.

Next year perhaps denim jumpers will be standardized and someone with a measuring tape will be at the door to insure compliance....

This is about the only thing that has made me laugh today. Have I ever outted myself as having gone to a Christian college that measured your skirt length? In the hall? And wrote you up if it wasn't long enough? Can I just say that me and the skirt police did not get along so well.

This is about the only thing that has made me laugh today. Have I ever outted myself as having gone to a Christian college that measured your skirt length? In the hall? And wrote you up if it wasn't long enough? Can I just say that me and the skirt police did not get along so well.

...was it the latex?

Edited by Mrs Mungo

I have a huge house in the middle of Kansas and a school room that could double as an exhibit hall.;) I'm ten minutes from our little regional airport.

ETA: My DH just offered to pay your airfare, and my DC will make crepes!

Edited by Sugarfoot

I have a house in the north Dallas suburbs that will most definitely be open for this. I suspect a house probably won't be big enough, but I've got a line on a couple of options we could use - a community center and a church where a friend's husband is pastor.

You can definitely count me in for setting up Dallas if you want to do a house conference here.

I can help you in Dallas! :D It would be so lovely to go to a homeschool convention and get to talk about homeschooling.

ugh i got the same type email from christian homeschoolers of hawaii..

Oh, Lisa, I want you!

OK, two things.

SWB

Can you come to hawaii?? I will feed you!! I will give you a place to sleep!! and really?? you could claim a pretty awesome vacation as work :) I promise i wont act like a crazed fan (okay i wont act like a crazed fan 95% of the time)

Oh, Lisa, I want you!

SWB

Yea! This sounds like a great idea!

I'm really hoping to get to see you in Houston this summer! It's a ten hour drive from where I am in Texas, but I think hearing everything that has happened recently has made me even more determined to come!

Yes, yes, please pick Dallas! It is central for several mid-sized cities, and I can already think of at least a dozen families locally that would drive the 4 hours for what you've described!

BTW- Before now I have never attended any homeschool convention, or even wanted to for that matter. Once again, SWB has changed my mind on a subject! :D

I haven't run into that one in a while. I think I may scare such commentors away. I'm with you though. My dh is out the door by 6am and gets home around 7-8 pm. He has steered me well over the years (realizing that TOG fixed a problem I didn't have, telling me to buy the Latina Christiana DVDs so that we would actually DO Latin) and we make a great team.

But Bible lessons at 5am wouldn't do any of us much good.

Thank you for this! Amen! I also don't like the ones who make me feel like a leper because we listen to music other than Bach, we read books other than the Bible and happen to enjoy Fairy Tales and Fables and *gasp* even the local newspaper. I'm undecided about OE/YE, but hey...I certainly don't think that should be a deal breaker and I seriously question those who would choose not to interact with me or want to be associated with me based on that reasoning alone.

OK, two things.

SWB

Yes!! Home conferences would be great!

The list at our local conference this year is great if you are wanting to remember why you homeschool and get more ideas on Christian living (whatever that means) but doesn't offer anything of educational value.

Susan...we have a fairly large Classical following group here in SW MO. You spoke last year and were the hit of the conference, perhaps MO as a middle ground for the midwest would be a good idea?!

There is definitely a schism coming; in my opinion it will be between those who see home education as PRIMARILY serving the specifically Christian purpose of reclaiming families for God, and those who see home education as PRIMARILY about educating kids. Notice these things don't have to be mutually exclusive, but I think one is always going to dominate and to affect how you view other home schoolers.

SWB

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

THERE IS SOMEONE ELSE IN THE HOMESCHOOLING WORLD WHO "GETS" ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

<deep breath>

<deep breath>

Okay.

So, I live in the middle of no where. You KNOW I am sitting here like Horshack going "Oooh! Ooh ooh!! PICK ME!!!" And though I live along a pretty cool wine trail, near an excellent martini bar ;), walking distance from Food Network's favorite barbeque, and have a decently large house, I am a realist, and know that I don't live in the ideal geographic location.

However.

I would be more than happy to put something together in St. Louis, which is just under two hours from my home. I am up there frequently because of my daughter's medical issues. Given that it is a major metropolitan area and right smack-dab in the middle of the US, I think the location might work out.

Or would you all rather have a giant slumber party at my house???

Guest Dulcimeramy

I would very much LOVE to come to something like this! A house conference about homeschooling would be wonderful.

I never go to the lifestyle conventions, but I would like to meet more homeschoolers and learn from authors, thinkers, and experienced homeschool moms.

Thank you for this! Amen! I also don't like the ones who make me feel like a leper because we listen to music other than Bach, we read books other than the Bible and happen to enjoy Fairy Tales and Fables and *gasp* even the local newspaper. I'm undecided about OE/YE, but hey...I certainly don't think that should be a deal breaker and I seriously question those who would choose not to interact with me or want to be associated with me based on that reasoning alone.

Yes!! Home conferences would be great!

The list at our local conference this year is great if you are wanting to remember why you homeschool and get more ideas on Christian living (whatever that means) but doesn't offer anything of educational value.

Susan...we have a fairly large Classical following group here in SW MO. You spoke last year and were the hit of the conference, perhaps MO as a middle ground for the midwest would be a good idea?!

Maybe we could go to Branson in September?

I was raised in Joplin and got my undergrad in Springfield. Love that area in the fall.

We're in Houston and my DH works in hospitality. He has several connections in town. Depending on the weekend, and the hotel, we could get it for next to nothing.

You don't need a convention center. Hotels all have conference rooms, how much could that cost? I live in a small town, and can think of several hotels that have this. The larger the city, the more options. I'm taking bets there will be too many to fit in a home!

Maybe we should do a poll to see where everyone is?

First, I really am going to work on this "house conference" thing for next year. Ideally? I'd get seven or eight hosts who would be willing to invite others to their homes, preferably within a two-state area. I'd fly into the nearest airport, rent a car, and schedule, say, a four hour lecture/discussion series at each house. The host would have to commit to publicizing the event and finding a certain number of attendees who would bring their own books and curricula for others to examine, plus I'd bring samples of all our stuff. SWB

I would go to this, or host this. I stopped going to the conservative Christian conferences a few years ago. I was no longer a goggly eyed admirer of the male speakers who put their spells on the women. The speaches weren't even about homeschooling! They were all about how to raise perfect children and have a perfect marriage, etc. I fell for it for a couple of years, but no more. I'm interested in solid ideas and resources to educate 4 children, primarily in the home, not necessarily exclusively, but definitely practically and academically. I want them prepared for their future away from my home. This is a tall order. I could use some help, so a practical home conference like this would do wonders for encouragement to keep on keepin' on.

Edited by JenniferB

""Don't confuse us with other homeschool conferences who don't have "American" in their name.We're Great American Homeschool Conferences from Maine to Hawaii.""

This was in response to quite a few angry comments mistakenly sent to them that were actually aimed at the other HS conference group. People were actually getting them confused...

SWB, swoon!

I love this idea! Can I suggest Orange County, Ca?? Maybe when this starts shaping up, you could have a form where people could offer their houses or cities, and then you could choose the more promising areas?

Isn't there a secular homeschooling convention of any kind anywhere in the country? What about Missouri, which is sort of the middle and doesn't have one of those other things? Could we all just go to Missouri and have a "we don't care about your religious beliefs, we just want to do school" convention?

Northern California has a big one every summer, but my impression from looking at the web site is that it's mostly unschooling focused and very expensive.

SWB, swoon!

I love this idea! Can I suggest Orange County, Ca?? Maybe when this starts shaping up, you could have a form where people could offer their houses or cities, and then you could choose the more promising areas?

:iagree:

California... PLEASE! Northern (prefer), Southern (I'll drive!)... just somewhere close enough for me to come. For such a big state, we have no really good homeschool event options.

I am sorry, Heather, but now the only thing on my mind is giggling to myself about latex jumper ideas. Bedtime for me.

:grouphug: to everyone. I wish this did not suck so much, I hope we can work together to make it suck less. That is the ultimate goal, yes?

The latex jumpers (and your whole exchange on this) makes me LOL every time I think of it. My husband keeps asking me what is so funny, but I don't want to give him any ideas. ;)