Menu

You won't believe the email I got today.....

I don't know how to get it here, so I'll type it.

Don't be confused

Not all homeschool conferences are the same

The 42 Christ-centered Great American Homeschool Conferences are organized by Christian state organizations in 36 states near you.

Don't confuse us with other homeschool conferences who don't have "American" in their name.We're Great American Homeschool Conferences from Maine to Hawaii. Find a Christ-centered homeschool conference near you.

Your attendence at these conferences helps support the state organizations who are there throughout the year to support you.

Great American Homeschool Conferences are:

*Christ Centered

*Homeschool focused

*State specific

*Excellent speakers

*Great exhibit halls

*Networking with other home educators

Your State Organization:

*Helps families get started homeschooling

*Works to protect your freedom to homeschool

*Knows laws and resources in your state

*Networks with groups in your state and around the nation

*Is there for you.....all year round

Find a homeschool conference near you

GAHConferences.com

www.facebook.com/GreatAmericanHomeschool

Great American Homeschool Conferences

Christ-Centered Homeschool Conferences near you!

So..... conferences lose money..... and these conferences are supposedly non-profit, so why are the state organizations (which are very important) hooked up with the conferences?? Wouldn't they want to put their resources toward the cause of homeschooling?

And I'll help the moderator, let's behave so the thread doesn't get closed.

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.greatamericanhomeschoolconferences.com/map.cfm

They do the one here in AZ, which I won't attend for a variety of reasons, and they don't offer an "exhibit hall only" pass, which I would be willing to pay. :glare:

The AFHE website (Arizona), includes a list of all the reasons why the state non-profit conference is better than a for profit one. And Ken Ham is coming to Phoenix.

Edited by amey311

Did this email come from your state organization? Through a hs loop?

I got it from Teaching Home. I am not on our state's email list, I am not a member, and I have never gone to my state's convention (I have gone to two other state conventions, though).

What is that word? Gobsmacked? I've never used it before, but it is what I am. GOBSMACKED! I cannot believe this whole hideous thing has gone so far.

And as a secular homeschooler, I feel like I've been kicked in the face :(

How about kicked in the gut??? And I consider myself a Christian homeschooler.

I got it from Teaching Home. I am not on our state's email list, I am not a member, and I have never gone to my state's convention (I have gone to two other state conventions, though).

Thanks, I'm just trying to figure out who is...what is a good word...mounting a campaign against non-fundamentalist homeschoolers. I want to know where to spend (and not to spend) my dollars.

Thanks, I'm just trying to figure out who is...what is a good word...mounting a campaign against non-fundamentalist homeschoolers. I want to know where to spend (and not to spend) my dollars.

Why would they do this? I didn't know there were that many of them....

Why would they do this? I didn't know there were that many of them....

1. They are being made to believe that they stand for THE TRUTH against THE ENEMY.

2. They think they are playing to their audience. I think a lot of them don't realize how many non-fundie homeschoolers are out there.

I'd like the list of the 14 states that do not participate, please.

:lol: No doubt!! LOL

I, for one, wouldn't mind a few vendor's hall ONLY conventions because I go for the BOOKS and I tend to get my encouragement from the atmosphere (or reading encouraging homeschooling books) rather than listening to speakers. I know that wouldn't fly with lots of folks who *do* want that, but I haven't gone to a seminar in the past 8 or 9 years.

I think a lot of them don't realize how many non-fundie homeschoolers are out there.

I'm starting to wonder myself! Someone in the GHC Facebook comments that night pointed out that GHC had just over 1,000 Likes and the AiG page had over 75,000. I thought it was such a petty point to make at the time. Now I'm not so sure.

This could be the long term effects of cold medication, but I laughed.

I'm sorry, but how do their followers see past the pettiness of it all?

I mean really, why don't they start bashing shoe choice (OMG, those are SO last year!!!).

Good greif. This is why I homeschool, so my children will not be exposed to this sort of idiotic mentality. I keep forgetting that some adults never really get past the cliqueish high school bs.

1. They are being made to believe that they stand for THE TRUTH against THE ENEMY.

2. They think they are playing to their audience. I think a lot of them don't realize how many non-fundie homeschoolers are out there.

Or how many FUNDIE homeschoolers are sick and tired of their "mean girl" attitudes.

This could be the long term effects of cold medication, but I laughed.

I'm sorry, but how do their followers see past the pettiness of it all?

I mean really, why don't they start bashing shoe choice (OMG, those are SO last year!!!).

Good greif. This is why I homeschool, so my children will not be exposed to this sort of idiotic mentality. I keep forgetting that some adults never really get past the cliqueish high school bs.

We go to a church where we are almost the only homeschoolers, but we fit in there.... had a birthday party for dd, her church friends came, and her homeschooled friends came...... one of her church friends said she thought her high school had a lot of drama but the homeschoolers had much more..... Thankfully dd and I are more victims of the drama, rather than participators (I hope!).

Edited by Susan C.

I poked around a little bit. The convention group and the associated speakers bureau are an extention of another group that was founded in 2002. There is one place that refers to the conference as having been started as an outgrowth of Teaching Home. That is probably why you in particular got the email.

Right or wrong, they probably assumed that you share a perspective.

It would seem that there are several groups that are taking the opportunity to describe their viewpoint to potential customers.

I'm starting to wonder myself! Someone in the GHC Facebook comments that night pointed out that GHC had just over 1,000 Likes and the AiG page had over 75,000. I thought it was such a petty point to make at the time. Now I'm not so sure.

But AiG would have Likes from a wide cross section of people. I have been planning to attend the MidWest Convention since this time last year, but never thought to check FB until this flap occurred.

There are over 178,000 likes for The Flying Spaghetti Monster. Likes don't prove one side or the other correct, just popular on Facebook.

I think a lot of them don't realize how many non-fundie homeschoolers are out there.

I think this is true.

I can only speak for myself, but I'm not very confrontational. I believe in an Old Earth, but don't really concern myself over whether other homeschoolers believe exactly as I do.......so I tend to not say too much about it.

I think that those of us who have remained quiet on this issue are going to need to be more vocal if we want to see changes.

We go to a church where we are almost the only homeschoolers, but we fit in there.... had a birthday party for dd, her church friends came, and her homeschooled friends came...... one of her church friends said she thought her high school had a lot of drama but the homeschoolers had much more..... Thankfully dd and I are more victims of the drama, rather than participators (I hope!).

I wish that were true here, but the homeschoolers in this area are so few and far between that we hardly know each other.

Is there such a thing as relaxed fundie?? Kind of like relaxed homeschooling?? Emphasis on RELAXED????

Not sure I know what you mean. There are TONS of fundamental Christians that think and don't just follow what the squeeky wheels have to complain about this particular week.

ETA, Tangerine... I believe they are claiming to be Christ-Centered... they said that once or twice :lol:

I wish that were true here, but the homeschoolers in this area are so few and far between that we hardly know each other.

Not sure I know what you mean. There are TONS of fundamental Christians that think and don't just follow what the squeeky wheels have to complain about this particular week.

ETA, Tangerine... I believe they are claiming to be Christ-Centered... they said that once or twice :lol:

I loved homeschooling in SE VA, I met so many wonderful people there... and participated in a very wonderful huge co-op. Not that I don't have friends here.... I called one and asked what was going on, why I didn't fit, etc. etc. (Didn't feel this way in Va.) She said I wasn't fundie enough and chuckled. I had never heard that term before. So asked dh about it (he is a southerner if that has anything to do with things) he said doctrine wise that is what we are closest to. I have gone to a few fundie services, I didn't have any problem with what was said generally (it wasn't hell fire and brimstone day). But, I can't go along with the no pants/shorts, no movies, have to use certain curriculum that sister so and so says is the right one thing. And I don't like the rants (aka serious discussions complete with very serious looks and scowls) about how stupid everyone else is that doesn't believe a certain way.

I've been staying out of this whole controversy because, as a non-Christian, I don't have a dog in this hunt.[1] It seems to me that the millions and millions of liberal Christians out there also deserve a Bible curriculum for their kids, but I understand that my opinions on who is "Christian enough" don't carry any weight for the people involved in the debate.

But honestly, this is ridiculous. Does anyone think that Great Homeschool Conventions would invite a biology professor from a secular university to come and give a talk about how to teach evolution? Ever? Under any circumstances?

Hasn't anyone noticed that, although GHC says that secular homeschoolers are welcome, they nevertheless go to great pains on the "about us" page of their website to explain that unbelievers are going to rot in an "eternity of conscious torment"? (But until then, feel free to browse our exhibit hall!)

This is such a weak and pathetic example of inclusion of non-fundamentalist viewpoints. I can see why secular homeschoolers are grateful for any kind of inclusion at all, but still, the fact that even this is considered dangerously secular leaves me not knowing whether to laugh or cry.

[1] Although I will confess to an ironic mental soundtrack that pops up every time I open a Ham-related thread: "And they'll know we are Christians by our love, by our love, yes, they'll know we are Christians by our love."

I loved homeschooling in SE VA, I met so many wonderful people there... and participated in a very wonderful huge co-op. Not that I don't have friends here.... I called one and asked what was going on, why I didn't fit, etc. etc. (Didn't feel this way in Va.) She said I wasn't fundie enough and chuckled. I had never heard that term before. So asked dh about it (he is a southerner if that has anything to do with things) he said doctrine wise that is what we are closest to. I have gone to a few fundie services, I didn't have any problem with what was said generally (it wasn't hell fire and brimstone day). But, I can't go along with the no pants/shorts, no movies, have to use certain curriculum that sister so and so says is the right one thing. And I don't like the rants (aka serious discussions complete with very serious looks and scowls) about how stupid everyone else is that doesn't believe a certain way.

We must be just high enough above the belt not to have it that way here. The facts are the facts, some things are always going to be wrong (no matter how much society disagrees), but the rest of this stuff? The curriculum control, the YE/OE debates, it's not the bloody battles that the speakers of these groups make it out to be. I have yet to be condemned by my fellow church goers for being a PHP supporter.

Very good point Rivka. I live in a small area. The homeschool group decided to do the "statement of faith" thing. Well...... the Catholic, Jewish, Mormon, and Muslim people couldn't sign the statement of faith. So, the group split into two groups. My friend started the second group and based it on homeschooling (wow, what a thought). But, then almost everyone joined the second group as well. Hmmmmm. Then the homeschool group morphed into a yahoo group and the other (Christian) group folded.

So.... there is a point. Are there homeschool conventions that are just homeschool conventions? But.... the convention group that invited Christians that use secular materials got smacked, I don't even want to think that a secular convention would get. But if it didn't claim any theology, who could criticize... A secular convention could get secular book publishers (more math and science books!!) and those that aren't narrow enough for the other conventions.

I've been staying out of this whole controversy because, as a non-Christian, I don't have a dog in this hunt.[1] It seems to me that the millions and millions of liberal Christians out there also deserve a Bible curriculum for their kids, but I understand that my opinions on who is "Christian enough" don't carry any weight for the people involved in the debate.

But honestly, this is ridiculous. Does anyone think that Great Homeschool Conventions would invite a biology professor from a secular university to come and give a talk about how to teach evolution? Ever? Under any circumstances?

Hasn't anyone noticed that, although GHC says that secular homeschoolers are welcome, they nevertheless go to great pains on the "about us" page of their website to explain that unbelievers are going to rot in an "eternity of conscious torment"? (But until then, feel free to browse our exhibit hall!)

This is such a weak and pathetic example of inclusion of non-fundamentalist viewpoints. I can see why secular homeschoolers are grateful for any kind of inclusion at all, but still, the fact that even this is considered dangerously secular leaves me not knowing whether to laugh or cry.

[1] Although I will confess to an ironic mental soundtrack that pops up every time I open a Ham-related thread: "And they'll know we are Christians by our love, by our love, yes, they'll know we are Christians by our love."

I'm probably more Fundie than not - at least to my understanding of the term - but I want to hear a lecture on evolution from a biology professor. I wasn't taught it school. I want to understand it in order to teach my kids. I want my kids to be presented with all viewpoints.

How can my kids live in the world if they don't understand differing viewpoints? If they are afraid (not exactly the term I want but I can't think of one better at the moment) of viewpoints that are different than our families?

I have been one of the secular homeschoolers who have been lobbying GHC to be more inclusive. I think that they have done a good job. They are very Christian, and it is their own business, so they can run it however they want. However, I appreciate that they even recognized that there are other people homeschooling for non-religious reasons and that they should try to offer some things for those who do.

They have at least 20+ vendors that I would consider secular, and more that I consider *mild*. They have several speakers that are more about education than all of the other stuff that I feel should be taught at a church retreat.

My point is, they are trying. This is the thanks they get. A person they happen to agree with, decides that he can't tolerate the diversity and resents their choice to run their business their way, and attempt to serve more than the single segment of the homeschooling population he approves of. Whatever. I go to these conventions year after year, being happy they are affordable, and knowing there is enough there to keep me satisfied. I have no problem with a few secular/ educational speakers and vendors being the barnacle on these giant ships. I am just so happy they are there. And honestly, there are so many booths and vendors and speakers.... if it there were too many more choices for me, I would have a panic attack. I barely have enough time to see and do all that I want.:D

I think that the GHC has made it clear that as long as nothing is anti-Christian (and that is their choice to make) and they think it is worthwhile, they would consider it. Do I expect them to invite "a biology professor from a secular university to come and give a talk about how to teach evolution", not anytime soon. However, if enough people wanted it, I don't think they would dismiss it outright, at least without some research. Maybe I am giving them too much credit, but I think that their willingness to stand up to dogma (and a bit of bullying, IMHO) in favor of diversity is a welcome attitude. Maybe I'm weird, but I do not find evolution to be such a big issue. I don't know why so much in the homeschooling world hinges upon it. :001_huh:

FWIW, I find it interesting that it is about a bible curriculum as well. My logic would say... shouldn't you be happy they are learning about Christianity, Jesus, the Bible, religion at all.... even if you don't agree about the specifics? Guess not.

Hope this is not considered moderator-worthy.

Edited by radiobrain

I follow Christ in my life and beliefs and quite frankly this whole thing has me very confused!

We have bible teaching time, and then we have education time...the two don't really mix. I would never buy a religious curriculum because that is not my style but why is all this fighting going on? I think I missed something big.

I guess....maybe we were in the public school/private school world too long, so I don't really think of combining religion and education but I just don't know why supposed Christians are being mean...somehow that doesn't add up with what I know and believe!:confused:

I received this today and was pretty upset by the wording. I even had my husband read it to confirm that I had interpreted it correctly.

Did anyone pick up on the use of "American?" It's written in red while the other type is blue. Also, "Don't confuse us with other homeschool conferences who don't have "American" in their name. "

In the interest of charity, maybe they had to clarify because they were barraged by pro-Ken Ham e-mails? :D

QUOTE]

I think this is what it boils down to. Whichever side of this lovely argument you are on....this organization likely had to clarify since the names are so similar. They were likely receiving emails and such that were targeted at the other organization. I can understand why they wanted to clarify this!

The message is pretty clear, if we aren't fundamentalists, then we aren't wanted. That's fine. Plenty of other curricula companies and magazines want my dollars.

Yep.

I think that those of us who have remained quiet on this issue are going to need to be more vocal if we want to see changes.

:iagree:

Did anyone pick up on the use of "American?" It's written in red while the other type is blue.

Methinks they need a history lesson, if the use of red type is meant to imply what I think it's meant to imply.

I foresee a big schism coming in the homeschool community. I don't like it, and I don't want it, but that's what I see down the road.

I'm kind of confused. Are you implying that these conferences are appearing as a reaction to the GHC wars? I clicked on the one in my state and I know that it has been in existence for years and was planned long before all this other stuff happened. As far as I know, it's always been a Christian conference run by a Christian group.

Yep.

I foresee a big schism coming in the homeschool community. I don't like it, and I don't want it, but that's what I see down the road.

The schism is already in existence. I just wasn't talked about until recently. Well, it gets talked about here periodically like everything else. But it wasn't talked about in such a public manner until very recently.

The schism is already in existence. I just wasn't talked about until recently. Well, it gets talked about here periodically like everything else. But it wasn't talked about in such a public manner until very recently.

Oh, sure, but I mean something even bigger and more public. Most people that aren't homeschoolers aren't really aware of it at the present time. I think that's going to change.

That's because most of the "non-fundamentalists", as others are calling us, don't know or care about all this hooplah and so never visited any of the websites to read about it and therefore could not comment.....

If I didn't read these boards I would not have known about it and would have been shocked when I got there (because I feel certain that there will be inappropriate things going on there).....

Right, but when your main point of advertising is that you are NOT "those other guys?" Meh.

Well, I guess if a group states they are Christ Centered, it goes without saying they have a different view than a group that may identify themselves as secular. So what ? There is room for both types of groups, right ? I think most people that attend either type of group are there to find curriculum, hear their favorite speakers, and couldn't care less about all of the finger pointing, them against us mentality, etc. I think most people at any of these conferences are just not interested in arguing and continuing with the division but just want a place to look at and purchase curriculum, thank you very much. It's sad that so view voices are making so much noise. It seems in every group there are a few with very loud, dominant personalities that have goofy opinions and would like it to seem everyone is in agreement with them.

I think I'll just stick to purchasing online.

Honestly, I think some people are enjoying all of the division. It sure seems to be a favorite subject. :tongue_smilie: