Menu

You child is obviously home schooled when...

Tsutsie

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was having trouble making regular choc. chip cookies, they were coming out really flat, and some ran into others and formed big flat cookies..my kids named them "pangea cookies"

they are all excited about pi day, too!

Sometimes my husband gives my daughter a writing assignment for a punishment. He might tell her to write something 25 times.

She will always number her assignment using Roman numerals.

My dd6 has started to number her spelling words using Roman numerals.:001_smile:

We have a LOT of neighborhood children. I constantly hear my children correct others' grammar and heaven forbid they should actually pull out chalk and start writing on the sidewalk. My ds gets a little twitchy with grammar and spelling mistakes. :001_huh:

LOL! I'm imagining Zeus singing 'Greece Lightning'. :lol:
:lol::lol::lol:

We have a LOT of neighborhood children. I constantly hear my children correct others' grammar and heaven forbid they should actually pull out chalk and start writing on the sidewalk. My ds gets a little twitchy with grammar and spelling mistakes. :001_huh:
My kids come in a with slang and say, Mom, where did these kids learn to speak?

MY 9yo was in a play last week. He was a goose. The director kept calling the seven geese "gooses". We've taught him not to openly correct adults...so he would mumble under his breath "It's geese. Don't you know it's geese?" or "I can't believe she doesn't know it's geese not gooses, moose not meeses, mice not mouses." He got up this morning singing, "The geese are goosing the gaggle of people who don't know the difference between geese and gooses." :lol:

DD, then 6, received a plastic pony in a party grab bag. She named it Bucephalus. At her age I probably would have named it Midnight or something like that. ;)

This just reminded me. DS did his boat for Raingutter Regatta, the Argos--boy I hope I got that right.:001_huh: He took his legos and proceeded to tie Odysseyus to the mast and had other lego dudes with cotton in their ears! It was great. For Halloween, the little guy wasn't just "any" cyclops, but Polyphemus (hope I spelled that one right too.)

DS gave his date of birth as January 19, anno domini 2005 to his gymnastics coach.

They think the initials in the card game "BS" stand for Boy Scouts.

They say "drat" when frustrated.

They listen to a long discussion from their tae kwon do instructor on the prospects of the Raiders for the upcoming season and then ask him if that is a football team. (Then they suggest that he listen to some St. Xavier high school games on the radio because they are such a wonderful team. That's our family's high school for several generations and the only football team they know.)

They interupt adults at museums who are explaining things to their little kids to explain that "well, actually..." what the adult was saying was totally wrong. (And usually the kid is correct.)

DD, then 6, received a plastic pony in a party grab bag. She named it Bucephalus. At her age I probably would have named it Midnight or something like that. ;)

My 6 yr old named a stuffed dragon Dianthus, and seems to delight in explaining that it is a genus of flower, including carnations, and that the word comes from the Greek words Dios and Anthos, and therefore the name means "God Flower".

I figure she'll be set if she's ever on Jeopardy. I'm not sure where else that information would actually be useful.

They get asked if they get homework and stare blankly.

I later told them what homework was, neither of them had heard the word! My daughter then requested some, so I made her a short homework assignment. I don't think she actually did her homework, though, I think we both forgot about it. Who knows where it is. (And no, we do not have a dog to blame it on, we move too often to have a dog.)

They get asked if they get homework and stare blankly.

I later told them what homework was, neither of them had heard the word! My daughter then requested some, so I made her a short homework assignment. I don't think she actually did her homework, though, I think we both forgot about it. Who knows where it is. (And no, we do not have a dog to blame it on, we move too often to have a dog.)

My oldest was horrified when we explained that school kids have homework. All day at school, and then work at home, too? That's ridiculous!

We completely agree.

We use the word homework and schoolwork interchangably, because, really, either one is accurate.

And mine...

...When your child tries to read a book set in a school and doesn't understand any of it.

Last night, on the way home from church, my 6 year old dd was reading th DK Human Body Encyclopedia (I think that's the name of it--it's not right in front of me). Lulu loves to share interesting facts that she has read, so she said something to the effect of "Ooh, let me read you this about urine! It's so awesome!"

:001_smile:

The book had already been in "time out" on the way to church because the girls were fighting over it.

My child's favorite songs are about bubonic plague and the fates of Henry VIII's wives.

At 3, if we put the radio on any station that wasn't classical or jazz, she would become upset and say "That's not music!"

She wanted to rename our horse Bucephalus, and likes to pretend she's afraid of her shadow, like he was. In public.

She is still sad I didn't buy her a plush red blood cell we saw at a store a month ago. Most kids would never have wanted it in the first place.

...when your 5yo dd plays "mommy" by creating a grid lesson planner and teaches her dollies out of her old ETC workbooks.:001_smile: (When she sticks her hair up in a bun with a Ticonderoga #2, I'm calling the therapist.:tongue_smilie::lol:)

when he acts like it is a travesty of justice whenever he has to leave the house before 8. :001_huh:

when his cousin is calling friends to find out teacher assignments and he is completely confused. That the classes change each year-not just teachers- had not occurred to him.

My oldest was horrified when we explained that school kids have homework. All day at school, and then work at home, too? That's ridiculous!

DS6 had a similar reaction when he learned what homework was - our neighbor's kids have to do homework before they can come out and play and DS was like, why do they have to do more school work if they spent the day at school?

He was also shocked to learn that same kids ride the schoolbus 1-hour each way to school.....the school he'd go to if he were enrolled.....the school that is literally just 2 miles from the house! His reaction to hearing about their bus ride was what a waste of time - that's two more hours!

ETA: He also doesn't think it's so great to go to school if you have to get up while it's still dark, just to catch the bus in time for that 1-hour ride....he's usually still asleep when the neighbor's kids have already been "in school" for an hour or two!

Edited by RahRah

You know your children are home-schooled when the shower songs of choice are sections of Classical music from Beethoven's Wig, and when DD7 lines up his stuffed "babies" to nurse "Momma Cat" because "They have hair, Mom, they are obviously mammals!"

My sister, also a home-schooled child, would say that a dead giveaway would be crying while listening to a piece of classical music. When she was asked why, by her fellow college students, she said, "Because it is so beautiful." And they couldn't understand.

I was in the book store and these came to me:

When a young child knows and follows a multi-step protocol for evaluating used books in a book store.

When a family has multiple Book Eval protocols depending on the type of book: Workbook, textbook, anthology, Leveled Readers, etc...And their 4yo knows them all.

When every female over the age of 10 owns more books than shoes.

When the kids go ":001_huh:" at the mention of the latest TV Show.

When Kers follow up hearing the time by asking: So are the other kids out of school yet?

Edited by mom2bee

Last week DS7 was telling my friend that his daddy's birthday is next week, March 15th, the same day that Julius Ceasar was killed by the senate, then continued with yelling "BEWARE THE IDES OF MARCH!"

She is a kindergarden teacher and I don't think she had any idea what he was talking about :tongue_smilie:

this is hilarious!!!!!

Once when my (then) 6 year old was getting a haircut, the barber asked him what he was learning about in school. My ds said the pilgrims. The barber asked,

"So, do you know where the pilgrims went?"

My ds spent the next ten minutes giving all the details of how the pilgrims went to Holland then went back to England. At the end he mentioned "And then, of course they went to America".

The barber looked like he thought he was nuts and said...

"Well, at least you're learning something!" :lol: (the Story of the Pilgrims was his favorite book that year)

I can definitely relate to the "blank stare when asked what grade they are in" my oldest always did this mainly because we weren't sure if we would skip a grade her whole homeschool life until 9th grade.

One of my favorite home school stories was when my son was learning multiplication and his younger sister thought it was so cool and such a big deal she ran to tell my oldest about it. Through the closed bathroom door she yelled "He is learning multiple creations." Cracked us up.

Another time my son was counting to 10 on his fingers and he had skipped a finger so he got to the last finger and was only on nine. His shocked facial expression declared his concern over his missing finger and he immediately began a recount greatly relieved they were all present and accounted for.

...when the UPS guy comes to your door and the kids know it's either someone's birthday or curricula...

:lol::lol::lol:

It's the same here. The question is usually "Whose school is this mom?"

I thought of another one,this just happened to us at the dentist's office but has happened many more times than that.

When going out in public with the kids during school hours we will get asked "Oh, are you out of school today?"

Another one, as I am sitting here, my oldest is correcting my writing as I am writing. Whaaaa

At the Natural History Museum, DS overheard my sister tell her son about a Dimetrodon, calling it a dinosaur. Naturally DS had to correct her...you should have seen his exasperation when she called a pterosaur a dinosaur :lol:.

We do not take dinosaur classification lightly 'round here!