Menu

Pet peeve: When did the word 'teacher' become a verb?

Guest Dulcimeramy

Guest Dulcimeramy

I have seen this a dozen times in the past few months.

"I teacher at the high school."

"I couldn't teacher my son and my daughter at the same time."

When, pray tell, did this usage enter the common parlance? What can we do about it? Where is Lynn Truss when we need her?

Guest Dulcimeramy
I figured they were typos.

So did I, the first few times I saw it.

I was snooping on a ps teachers' forum and it was used repeatedly there. (My favorite example was the question, "There ain't no jobs in this city! Where am I sposed to teacher at?")

Now it has been used here often enough for me to notice.

So did I, the first few times I saw it.

I was snooping on a ps teachers' forum and it was used repeatedly there. (My favorite example was the question, "There ain't no jobs in this city! Where am I sposed to teacher at?")

OK - that whole question is scary! :svengo:

I would be tempted to answer "I spose you'd better stay away from the grammer (sic) teacher jobs. They want people to teacher who actually know how to write."

Guest Dulcimeramy
Wow, I've never heard that term before. It would drive me crazy! Even more than people using the word "seen" wrong. As in:

"I seen that lady teacher that kid to read."

:smilielol5:

Wow, I've never heard that term before. It would drive me crazy! Even more than people using the word "seen" wrong. As in:

:lol:

my personal peeve is starting a sentence with "being".

As in:

"Being as Mrs. Jones ain't teachering you to read, you might want to get a little homeskewlin'."

:lol::lol:

I had to LOL. We have a good friend who often uses "seen" like that. But not with teachering. That's a new one to me.

:lol:

my personal peeve is starting a sentence with "being".

As in:

"Being as Mrs. Jones ain't teachering you to read, you might want to get a little homeskewlin'."

When my dd was about 9, she asked me why people started sentences by saying "beans." Huh?

"You know, Mom, like: Beans that Mrs Jones isn't teaching you to read, you might want to homeschool."

:lol::lol: ((sorry, I had to change that sentence before putting it into my baby's mouth))

Ew. Make it stop.

Yes, please make it stop.

I was reading a Facebook discussion the other day between some people I went to high school with. It was about public school teachers. Two of the people in the discussion were professional teachers. Their spelling, grammar, and sentence structure was worse than mine is even when I'm sleep deprived and in a zombie like state. But people without teaching degrees really shouldn't be allowed to homeschool. :001_huh:

I have never come across it but if I did I would assume if it was written it was a typo or if it was spoken - lazy, bogan English. In fact I hate the sound of it so much I would prefer that they use "learn" as in "I seen that lady learn that kid to read".

Edited by sewingmama

When, pray tell, did this usage enter the common parlance? What can we do about it? Where is Lynn Truss when we need her?

I haven't seen this, but when I do, I'll be sure to shoot it. Thanks for the warning. :glare: I agree, this is ridiculous. Someone needs to teacher that out of the American vocabulary.

Yes, please make it stop.

I was reading a Facebook discussion the other day between some people I went to high school with. It was about public school teachers. Two of the people in the discussion were professional teachers. Their spelling, grammar, and sentence structure was worse than mine is even when I'm sleep deprived and in a zombie like state. But people without teachering degrees really shouldn't be allowed to homeschool. :001_huh:

Sorry, I had to correct that...

:svengo:

Really? I haven't noticed that. Guess I'm not very observant. :tongue_smilie:

is the regional usage that just drives me bonkers!

Say I mention to a neighborhood friend that I am going to the library later today. (Note the well-defined time frame--one time, this afternoon.) She might reply, "Whenever you go, would you mind returning my books, too."

From 19 years experience in this region, it is clear that people use whenever to mean one time.

I was taught that whenever implies an undefined, ongoing time frame: "Whenever you prepare food, please wash your hands first."

Wow, this is the first time I've heard of it. Shocking! Of course, I was shocked the first time I heard impact as a verb, and that one still gets my goat every single time I hear it used as a verb (check dictionaries from 20+ years ago and you'll see what I mean.)

My dc are now using "piano teaching" as a verb, so I'm trying to rectify that. eg they'll say "Are you piano teaching today?" instead of "Are you teaching piano today?" They think it's funny, which doesn't help, so once in a while I'll say something like "I learned you real good grammar" which always get a laugh. I hear learned used in place of teach sometimes, IRL, and it's annoying, too.

I think it might be regional. I have never heard teacher used that way before, but I have heard and seen these gems....

I axed him a question and he didn't answer right.

If you loose your coat look in the lost and found.

For Sale...chester drawers $50. My DH asked me why someone was selling Chester's drawers!!:lol:

I've never heard of sale or teacher used as verbs. Grammer certainly isn't my forte, but this would bother me as well! I'm sure things like this will bother me more once I start learning proper grammer rules along with my son! The sad thing is, I took English in university, passed with over 90%, and I've never in my life diagrammed a sentence!

That said, could someone please tell me if these are proper sentences:

This morning, the child was taken to hospital.

We took SkyTrain to get to the park.

Now, wouldn't hospital and SkyTrain require an article in front on them?

Yes, they would. Also, the actor is Kelsey Grammer, but we study grammar:). The first time I spelled grammar wrong was after I watched Frasier for a while, and so now I have to be careful.

I'm not seeing or hearing this usage. Are you hearing this used by native speakers of standard English?

I've never heard of sale or teacher used as verbs. Grammer certainly isn't my forte, but this would bother me as well! I'm sure things like this will bother me more once I start learning proper grammer rules along with my son! The sad thing is, I took English in university, passed with over 90%, and I've never in my life diagrammed a sentence!

With your hospital example, it depends on which country you're in. Several places where English is spoken, including England, don't put an article in front of hospital.

Wow, this is the first time I've heard of it. Shocking! Of course, I was shocked the first time I heard impact as a verb, and that one still gets my goat every single time I hear it used as a verb (check dictionaries from 20+ years ago and you'll see what I mean.)

I have a 1991 dictionary that lists "impact" as both a noun and a verb.

Noun--im'pakt

Verb--im-pakt'

Guest Dulcimeramy
I'm not seeing or hearing this usage. Are you hearing this used by native speakers of standard English?

I have no idea. I've only seen it online. I'm glad that others aren't noticing this new error!

I'm sensitive to mistakes of this kind. I grew up in a very colloquial-rich environment, and now I live in a grammar-free zone. LOL I am always so nervous that one of our home sayings will fly out of my mouth just when I'm trying to give a good impression.

Yes, those are proper sentences in England, Australia and I imagine other places where the queen's English is spoken.

In England they go to hospital. They go to university.

Replace the SkyTrain with Amtrack. We wouldn't say, "We took an Amtrack to get to the park." Using a proper name does not require an article before it.

I'm starting to hear a lot of "at table" instead of "at the table". I'm not sure if I like it.

As for the teachering I'm sure after the second time, I'd have to attempt to gently correct that.

With your hospital example, it depends on which country you're in. Several places where English is spoken, including England, don't put an article in front of hospital.

I have a 1991 dictionary that lists "impact" as both a noun and a verb.

Noun--im'pakt

Verb--im-pakt'

Really? Well then, I'm forgetting how old I am. I first heard it used as a verb in 1989 and even looked it up in my dictionary because I was so shocked. (It's an American one; there is no truly, 100 percent Canadian dictionary in print, although there is one online.) I know that it isn't listed that way in our 30 year old dictionaries (which may not be copywrited in the years they were bought.) Also, this use may have started in the US and then drifted up to Canada later than that.

ETA here's what I found at Dictionary.com:

"

The verb impact has developed the transitive sense ... Although recent, the new uses are entirely standard and most likely to occur in formal speech and writing. "http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/impact

It has definitely developed during my lifetime, and I am aware that language changes. It doesn't mean that I have to embrace every lingusitic change;).

Edited by Karin