Menu

Do you plan to homeschool to graduation?

mommy4ever

I'm just 1 year into this journey. And I'm not sure what we'll do for high school. DD13 has decided to stay home for 9th now. So who knows, maybe 10th she'll stay home too. I'm a little intimidated by the thought of high school classes, but we have a great program to get a diploma etc.

Do you plan to homeschool through high school too? With my youngest, since she has been home the whole time now, for all practical purposes, it isn't such and intimidating thought, as I'll be growing with her, and have some of the experiences from the older girls, but for the older girls, it's so soon! :lol:

Yes, mama is losing it!

I'm right there with you. Dd just came home this year. Ds and I have been doing this for two years now. Younger ds is the only one that I will get to hs all the way.

I do plan on going all the way through graduation. I decided to do this with ds after discussing with dh and having him point out that the really really bad stuff happens in high school (iow, it made no sense to put him in for high school).

Planning for 9th grade has been a little mind boggling, but I'm sure we (you and me OP ;) ) are up to this. Woohoo us (said with a tiny bit of terror :lol:).

I think my DH might have the idea of sending them back to private school for high school, but I currently am going with the thought of homeschooling high school, because I just can't let go of the control over their education. :lol: I'm sure if I make it known that I'd *really* like to keep going, my DH will easily come around. We're currently putting off that decision officially until later though, as my oldest is only first grade.

Yes! Dd is taking some online classes at The Potter's School for 8th grade, and we plan to continuing using academically strong online classes like these during the high school years. I think she's on track to apply for their Classical Track for next year!

In any case, I think it's important to plan ahead for high school and work backwards to the grade the child is currently in to be as ready as possible when the time comes.

I have to admit that when God called me to this, I thought I would just do it for early elementary. Now that I have done more research, I am really hoping to HS until graduation. I know that I haven't even started kindergarten yet and things change over time. However, I really hope that we make it all the way through!

No - at least, I don't think so. I'd do it if they hated high school or if there were issues of bullying or other problems. But even then, it'd probably be a combination of virtual school and community college rather than true homeschooling.

I feel that we've got a great high school in our town, and an even better private high school one town over. My commitment is not to homeschooling through high school, my commitment is to offering my kids the best education possible. Right now, the best education I can give them is a combination of individual elective classes at the alternative school and academic work at home. Later on, I think that in our case, the high school will do a better job of educating than I could. Then again.. if I turn out to be wrong, I have no problem taking them out.

Sure. We'll see what the plans look like after being thoroughly acquainted with reality, though, seeing as I have a 2 and a 3 year old...

I want to keep them out of school for high school so they can work. School will limit their opportunities in that arena. A different country, a different system. :)

Rosie

Guest Cindie2dds
Yes, although I plan for my kids to take a few classes from the local universities (concurrent enrollment).

That is the plan. I have way too many reasons to keep homeschooling then the few not to.

:iagree:

At first no, but as my oldest spend more time in the high school and middle school my answer is YES. They won't come home because they have no interest and that is fine. I also plan to do online courses and CC as well when the time comes. I am a teacher by nature and thrive doing this:)

Our plan is to homeschool through high school graduation. That said, we are willing to reevaluate before ninth grade, via investigating the other opportunities available; we just doubt that there will truly be an opportunity better for them than what we can do at home, when all factors are considered. Frankly, at this point, I feel like I have "invested" so much that I am really looking forward to doing rhetoric stage--I think I would feel cheated if I didn't get to!

I was. My dd 14 really wants to go to high school. We are going to support her. She loves homeschool, but she is very interested in many of the extra curricular activities in high school. I am secretly praying that she will come home, I mean I am praying that she has a wonderful experience!! :D I will still have my youngest at home who will be starting K and I plan on keeping her at home at least until high school.

OH yes! I have seven more delicious years to plan high school, and if it's even a fraction as fun as K and 1 have been, we're going to have a BALL. I'm imagining field trips to Africa, part-time jobs in soup kitchens and rodeos, conferences here, there, and everywhere.... :biggrinjester:

This is the most extraordinary opportunity of my life, and I intend to give it my all, for as long as I am permitted.

well, my son, almost 11,tells me I am :lol:

I hope to but I might check out the alternative high school when the time comes.

We live in a big college town and he says he is holding out for college classes. he meets a lot of college students and he liked them better than the teenagers he meets.

I thought I would.

My oldest is graduating this year. He was homeschooled from the beginning and all the way through his ninth-grade year. For the rest of his high school everything has been outsourced. I'm not sure I consider that homeschooling, but it's a reality of what he needs. He has a wonderful mentor that has helped him figure out his education plan. So he's not in a mainstream school, but he's not at home. He's taken college classes, independant study classes, and lots of stuff out in the community. Right now he has a two classes at the college and an intership that he's particapating in. He is also working with a leadership program through the community.

My oldest daughter ended up also leaving our homeschool to go to a traditional college- prep high school. My next son will join her next year. So, I guess it will depend on the child and what their needs are. My youngest dd does not want to go to high school, but we shall see how things go when she gets to that point. ;)

So, while I am not opposed to the idea of homeschooling all the way through to graduation, we will see child by child.

We're only a few years into our journey and so far it's been fun. I don't know how far we will homeschool, but I'm planning as if we will go all the way. Right now neither of my boys have any desire to go to school so I'm kind of counting on that to help keep them home. My dh isn't quite as sure, but also isn't a fan of school, so we'll see as we get closer.

My ds14 will start 9th grade this year and has told everyone he is staying at home for high school that he has no desire to be in public high school. We are looking at some CD courses and possibly online courses through out high school......Our extended family is supporting this as they are seeing how the public schools around here are full of influences we do not want in our lives. Even teachers are supporting us due to the fact that our schools are in need of help that they are not getting and threatening to close down.

At first I was worried, but it seems like the closer I get the more things are falling into place and I see God's hand in helping me through it all. After all, I believe it was God's will that I stay home and do this so I know he will see us through!

This is our third year homeschooling. It has not been without it's bumps in the road, but after this year, I can definitely see us going all the way. My youngest enrolled, at his request, at our local private christian school for a semester and it has been a great lesson in why we like homeschooling...for all of us.

Unfortunately he made the commitment to finish out the year, but summer cannot come fast enough for me. I hate the homework, I hate being on someone else's schedule, I hate that he is missing all the fun learning moments that his brother and I are having, I hate that he's picked up some inappropriate behavior. I just hate it. :)

Homeschooling isn't easy, but the alternative is far worse in my opinion.

I want my boys home!!!

We've already graduated one. She is a paramedic and pre-med student.

We embark on high school again this August and then after that will add a high schooler each year for two years. So, three in high school at once. It will be fast, furious, and then boom, over. I'm not certain what I am going to do with myself once the last one graduates. I've been doing this for so long.

Faith

... and I've figured it out:

From and including: Wednesday, March 9, 2011

To and including: Friday, June 27, 2025

It is 5225 days from the start date to the end date, end date included

Or 14 years, 3 months, 19 days including the end date

Alternative time units

5225 days can be converted to one of these units:

• 451,440,000 seconds
  • 7,524,000 minutes
  • 125,400 hours
  • 746 weeks (rounded down)

So, no sweat. :lol:

We've already graduated one. She is a paramedic and pre-med student.

We embark on high school again this August and then after that will add a high schooler each year for two years. So, three in high school at once. It will be fast, furious, and then boom, over. I'm not certain what I am going to do with myself once the last one graduates. I've been doing this for so long.

Faith

Get coffee and clean your house...

That's what the kids imagine for me.

They think I'm going to live at the library whenever it's open, clean like a maniac when it's closed, and spend a small fortune on coffee.

So, now that you've got one under your belt is it less hair raising? Dd will be my first and I'm really hoping that once ds starts (he'll go in once she's graduated) I'll feel like a pro :lol: At the very least, by the time my youngest is in (right after middle ds graduation) I'll have it all under control and be old hat.

I plan to school my two through hs and possibly have them do some courses via computer for college. I don't know if it will change but my plan is for TT Math, BJU Eng. and follow MFW for History and Science. I have it set up so they will start some very gentle Spanish next yr and figure they will possibly start Rosetta Stone by 9th grade. We will then also pick a couple elective but that will wait until 9th grade.

I think my DH might have the idea of sending them back to private school for high school, but I currently am going with the thought of homeschooling high school, because I just can't let go of the control over their education. :lol: I'm sure if I make it known that I'd *really* like to keep going, my DH will easily come around. We're currently putting off that decision officially until later though, as my oldest is only first grade.

:iagree: This is exactly us! I do want my children to take classes taught by a native speaker for a second living language. Where they take them, be it at a public high school, the community college, or somewhere else, will be decided when the time comes. It's also possible that I'll give up on teaching some subject or the other and let them decide between public high school or community college for that particular class. All of that is so far in the future that I just try to collect options to lay out later. My husband wants them to have the social experience of going to public high school.

That was my original intention. I at least hoped to hs all the way through.

My oldest went to ps for 6th and 7th grades, but then returned to hs. She is graduating from hs in May.

My middle dd has never been to ps and won't be going there ever. She is in 10th grade.

I don't know about my youngest. We were all set for her to go to a charter school next year for 8th grade, but her close friend who is there desperately wants to return to hs, so next year is up in the air. This friend is the only reason for her to go to ps.

No. We are taking this one year at a time, but I had never planned on homeschooling for high school. I don't think I can give them all of the opportunities that the PS can. My oldest son is actually going back to school next year for 8th. I think I am going to homeschool the others next year, but we will see how this year ends up.

When I first considered hs'ing, people would ask (and some still do,) "even high school?!?" and I said yes. However, dh's prefers we take this on a year by year basis. So that's where we currently are. He's comfortable with us hs'ing through middle school but would prefer them to attend a high school of peers. I'm not as eager for them to go unless they choose to do so. If they did go to high school, I would rather they attended one of the local charter high schools or a private school and not the regular public high schools. However, we still have about 5-6 years until we need to decide.

Who knows -- the oldest is only K.

DH is super excited about the academic possibilities of homeschooling for high school, and we both teach at the university level so in some ways we'd probably be better prepared for teaching high schoolers than what I'm doing now.

That said, it's a long way away, and I can see the kids having social or other needs that would make school a better option.

We are committed, however, to homeschooling for middle school. Even if they wind up going to elementary at some point, we really want to do middle school at home. (Note: In 2017, when I'm homeschooling a 12yo, someone please remind me that I said this :D)

That is the plan. I have way too many reasons to keep homeschooling than the few not to.

:iagree: It has always been our plan to homeschool all the way through. Although, when my kids are old enough, they may start taking classes at the local community college part-time. Who knows... that's still some time away!