Menu

What are some of those 'classics' in literature that you can't figure out WHY?

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with James Joyce and Madame Bovary. I've never read Kafka or Moby Dick and have no plans to do so. Hemingway is rather hit-or-miss for me.

I hate, hate, hate Beowulf though I do like the Rosemary Sutcliff children's version.

Other classics I dislike: Ethan Frome, Anna Karenina, Jude the Obscure, Tess of the d'Urbervilles, and everything I've ever read by Arthur Miller.

Eh, there are plenty of classics I don't enjoy or like (chiming in with the Hemingway non-fans here), but I still get why they're classics. I get that I might not enjoy it but that it may still be great writing, profound commentary on life or human nature or whatever, or it may have been new and ground-breaking when written. I don't always particularly enjoy Picasso's cubist works, but I get why they're considered artistic masterpieces, kwim?

There are certain authors I don't like or don't get--Faulkner, for example, though one day I'll give him another go--but I see why their books are classics. Then there are those that I don't like or get--Joyce comes to mind--and I don't see why they are considered great, but I suspect it is an Emporer's New Clothes thing. But maybe I'm just obtuse.

Eh, there are plenty of classics I don't enjoy or like (chiming in with the Hemingway non-fans here), but I still get why they're classics. I get that I might not enjoy it but that it may still be great writing, profound commentary on life or human nature or whatever, or it may have been new and ground-breaking when written. I don't always particularly enjoy Picasso's cubist works, but I get why they're considered artistic masterpieces, kwim?

Sure -but I still don't get why Kafka's book is 'classic'. I just don't get it.

I will chime in with the children's literature classics that I don't like - Alice in Wonderland and Wizard of Oz. I read those and just think what were those guys smoking? Each is a great story but each dive into some really weird and crazy stuff.

:iagree:

Kirch : "Eh, there are plenty of classics I don't enjoy or like (chiming in with the Hemingway non-fans here), but I still get why they're classics. I get that I might not enjoy it but that it may still be great writing, profound commentary on life or human nature or whatever, or it may have been new and ground-breaking when written. I don't always particularly enjoy Picasso's cubist works, but I get why they're considered artistic masterpieces, kwim?"

Yes, this is true. The stories or manner of writing may not be to my taste, but that doesn't make them less worthy to read.

That said, I'll never read Great Expectations again. blech :001_smile:

I really enjoyed Robinson Crusoe (one of the best conversion scenes in literature although I understand the tedium) and Wuthering Heights (although I just want to slap all the characters).

Classics that I just don't "get" - my fault or ?:

Catcher in the Rye

Crime and Punishment

The Sound and the Fury

Tess of the d'Urbervilles

(anything by Hardy)

Ooooooh!!! I do not get my Internet until Thursday! I am typing from my phone while checking off boxes. I cannot defend each of these works right now. BUT I will say that many of them are considered classics because they were innovative, a first of their kind, or they are so typical of a time period or genre in literature that later became important.

Oh, I love these threads. I usually just read them. But I must defend Wuthering Heights. What a great, tragic, beautiful, lyrical, dense, gorgeous tale. And utterly new in its day--the unreliable narrator, the unlikable heroine, the crazy hero.

I agree. LOVE that book. Mostly because it was so weird and crazy.

Otherwise I agree with the dislikes of everything else.

I agree with James Joyce and Madame Bovary. I've never read Kafka or Moby Dick and have no plans to do so. Hemingway is rather hit-or-miss for me.

I hate, hate, hate Beowulf though I do like the Rosemary Sutcliff children's version.

Other classics I dislike: Ethan Frome, Anna Karenina, Jude the Obscure, Tess of the d'Urbervilles, and everything I've ever read by Arthur Miller.

That's funny; Anna Karenina is one of my favorite novels! I love how real the characters are, and the sweet romance between Levin and Kitty.

Wendi

I don't think I've ever seen Steinbeck show up on a list like this.

He's my favorite American author.

What do you dislike about Steinbeck?

Why am I the only one asked to defend my Classical Stuntedness and Cement-headedness???:tongue_smilie::lol:

I loathed Of Mice & Men.

The Grapes of Wrath...esp. the ending...seemed...too much, too, shocking for shock's sake? After all that endless suffering...That's not quite right...I dunno, it also felt like it...JUST ENDED...just stopped. Didn't like...

I will chime in with the children's literature classics that I don't like - Alice in Wonderland and Wizard of Oz. I read those and just think what were those guys smoking? Each is a great story but each dive into some really weird and crazy stuff.

My daughter was in a production of Alice in Wonderland last year. It wasn't until then, that I had more than a passing interest in Alice. I agree with you here, in that I wondered what Lewis Carroll had been smoking when this was written!

Some classics that I just don't get are:

The Red Badge of Courage. The language I found too foul to go beyond the first chapter.

Lord of the Flies. Ugh.

Animal Farm. Ugh again.

I am not, in any way, a Jane Austen fan; her characters irritate me. :tongue_smilie:

To be honest, for most of them, I could argue the "why" - whether due to artistic merit alone (which in itself is, I understand, quite a problematic and often intangible category), their formal qualities, or fitting so well to a certain historical sensibility or, for this of that reason, "speaking" at some point in history either to a largue number of people or to very influential circles which led them to be promoted, etc. The "great books" (as much as I loathe that pretentious label) are a mix of all kinds of works, some of them entering in due to popularity, others due to school system of the social elites which promoted them throughout generations, others due to controversy, others simply due to having survived with time... and thus the "landscape" we get is, well, interesting. :D

Now when it comes to personal taste, rather than a sort of intellectual understanding of the formation of canon and all that's good and bad about it, there definitely are those I dislike, or even cannot fathom what's possibly, on the formal and artistic level, so great about them - Hemingway and Salinger being maybe good examples. More often than not, Hardy's prose doesn't speak to me either (poetry maybe :)), I never particularly liked Schiller, or Goethe's Werther, and Ibsen I just find so blown out of proportions of its actual "worth". Then Ionesco, are you kidding me? That's some of my greatest tortures from school and university days.

James Joyce and his 'stream of consciousness' writing. Makes me want to poke my eyes out.

DITTO. As an English major in college it was horrible to sit through everyone talking about how fabulous Joyce is. I disagree.

Sometimes I think in order to be a classic the writing needs to be so convoluted that it requires some very smart person with leather patches on their elbows to tell us what to think about it. NOT.

I have a book that I use (among other books!) in my AP lit class called Beowulf on the Beach, and it posits that, among other things, there is really only one story that keeps getting re-told, and if you figure out that story you will understand all of the other ones. I think this is daunting to authors who want to stand out, so the turn the main character into a bug for no reason, or send them into alternate realities, just to keep it interesting, and what is interesting varies from person to person.

Moby Dick is one of my most favorite books of all times! And it deals with such big themes - the obsessive struggle of Captain Ahab against the whale is so symbolic of the struggle that many have against their own nemesis (or would it be nemeses?). Most, if not all, classics are about so much more than just the "story".

Or it could just be a very long story about a whale and a crazy fisherman. ;) Only half-kidding. Sometimes I think themes are assigned to works by readers and then the author says, "Yeah, that's exactly what I meant!"

My daughter was in a production of Alice in Wonderland last year. It wasn't until then, that I had more than a passing interest in Alice. I agree with you here, in that I wondered what Lewis Carroll had been smoking when this was written!

The Red Badge of Courage. The language I found too foul to go beyond the first chapter.

Lord of the Flies. Ugh.

Animal Farm. Ugh again.

I am not, in any way, a Jane Austen fan; her characters irritate me. :tongue_smilie:

Grin.. boys LOVED Pride and Prejudice, thought Red Badge of Courage was great..liked Lord of the Flies and their favorite book of all time so far is....Animal Farm.:) Sorry!! I happen to like them all as well. I don't remember the language being that foul in Red Badge..but the brutality was something else..

Ooooooh!!! I do not get my Internet until Thursday! I am typing from my phone while checking off boxes. I cannot defend each of these works right now. BUT I will say that many of them are considered classics because they were innovative, a first of their kind, or they are so typical of a time period or genre in literature that later became important.

:iagree:

A lot of them made important statements, were innovative, were voices of their time and many other things.

Although I don't like *all* classics I don't think I have questioned whether or not something *should* be a classic after I have read it.

I loathe Madame Bovary (just using that for an example since I hate that book) but I don't think anyone could take issue with Flaubert's skill. He is a Realist, Flaubert doesn't paint pretty pictures. As much as I loathe the book...I don't deny at all that it is completely brilliant and flawless in execution.

Just because one didn't like a book doesn't mean it shouldn't be a classic.

I am stunned by what people do not think should be classics.

Edited by Sis

Madame Bovary

I just can't care at all about the heroine, even when she kills herself I feel no sympathy for her.

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

As a French major in college and a graduate student in French Literature, I was supposed to have read this book for 3 different classes. I could NEVER make it through to the end. She could have done herself in in the first 5 pages and I would have been okay with it. BORING!