Menu

Poll: So, if you saw a person that you were about to hire.... trying to negotiate...

How would it make you feel about this buyer lady??  

1. 1. How would it make you feel about this buyer lady??

• I would be more likely to hire her; she sounds thrifty.
    • I would be just about the same for hiring her; she sounds thrifty
    • It wouldn't affect my hiring her at all; if she was good before, she's good now.
    • I would be a little LESS likely to hire her; she sounds greedy.
    • I would be a LOT LESS likely to hire her; she sounds greedy. RUN!
    • I don't like polls about greedy people, or I have another comment :)

So, if you saw a person that you were about to hire (for next year's co-op) .... trying to negotiate... down to the last quarter (for some homeschool books) would that make you more or less likely to hire them to teach in your co-op?

Here's what happened. We had a lady who use to be in our co-op bring some books to sell. (with my permission) She set prices, but had offered that she would negotiate. The seller offered a lower price for the stack of books, and this buyer lady... tried to get her down, and finally, when the seller said "Ok, $14.00, the buyer said '$13.50' and the lady said... 'hmmm... no... $14.00' to which the buyer lady said '$13.75' " and so the seller relented, because... well, it was very awkward.

On top of this, before the bartering was heavily going, I looked at one of the books and said, "Wow, that's a really good price!! I bought an old edition for that price." The buyer lady said, "Hush, Carrie... or I won't teach for you next year." laugh laugh... (to which I really didn't laugh or think it funny)

Would you be wondering if she was going to nickel and dime you... (and quarter you? :))

I just was really turned off, embarrassed... When it was all over, the buyer said, "Thanks for negotiating with me!"

Hmmmm....

Edited by NayfiesMama

I would not hire someone if I saw them do that.

There was no option for "absolutely would not hire someone whom I saw do that," but that's how I would have voted.

ETA: The comments at the end would have me convinced that this was a person who's only concern was for themselves.

Edited by Julie in CA

It wouldn't phase me. Some people just loooove to barter. They love haggling down and it is a sense of pride for them. It often has less to do with they price they actually paid, and more of 'how much can I get them to drop the price'. I would just make sure I was never in a position to barter against them. I hate haggling and would get irritated if they tried it with me.

I don't see anything wrong with what she did. If the seller didn't want to dicker she shouldn't have advertised that she would.

Times are tough. For some people that quarter could be an extra bit of food.

I'd certainly expect the new employee to keep her job related costs down.

I'd also hire her as an agent when I bought my next house.

For what you are hiring for - no I wouldn't hire her unless her finances are that tight.

I haven't had a tutor like that, but I did have one that was close. It is royal pain to have someone like that tutoring for you. I have found that someone like that will do the same to you - you are right they nickel and dime you. It's exhausting. Money clearly is too important to them or something like that. It drove me crazy - her husband's income was 3 times my husbands. (I knew that because it was a public position where his pay was known publicly.) She quibbled over dollars. I think when money is that important there is a selfishness in attitude. It was such a pain being her boss.

While I doubt it's the case if her finances are that tight, I would understand, and it won't bother me. If that quarter makes a difference, I would see her as thrifty. But I find that it's usually those who can afford it who do this so aggressively. Negotiating is fine, being thrifty is good, but this is ridiculous.

Edited by Steph

It's not just the money but the way you tell the story she seams pretty pushy.

:iagree:

I would not be concerned she was greedy so much as being someone who has to have the last word.

Co-ops inevitably have conflicts~can you see her as someone who would be flexible and a team player, or someone who would have difficulty backing down?

It wouldn't phase me. Some people just loooove to barter. They love haggling down and it is a sense of pride for them. It often has less to do with they price they actually paid, and more of 'how much can I get them to drop the price'. I would just make sure I was never in a position to barter against them. I hate haggling and would get irritated if they tried it with me.

I'm not fond of the "joke", but my decision to hire her to teach would be based on her teaching ability.

On top of this, before the bartering was heavily going, I looked at one of the books and said, "Wow, that's a really good price!! I bought an old edition for that price." The buyer lady said, "Hush, Carrie... or I won't teach for you next year." laugh laugh... (to which I really didn't laugh or think it funny)

Honestly, if I were the prospective employee, I would be concerned over this remark and would wonder what sort of comments I'd get if this person were my boss. I'd be quite annoyed by what I would see as a deliberate sabotage of my personal purchase, so I give her credit for responding with grace.

Maybe I'm reading this wrong, and you hadn't yet realized she was interested in purchasing the books.

I would feel negatively towards her, but it would not be so much about greed (in the money sense) as about her willingness to put another person in an awkward position so that she could benefit (and the benefit is perhaps more emotional than financial here).

That said, I would have to take culture into consideration. I'm assuming she is a born American in my above response. If she was an immigrant from a culture where bargaining is a way of thinking, I might be more lenient in my assessment of her. When we lived in the Middle East there was a store which sold fabulous Indian furniture. Every single time I went in, they would tell me there was a sale on, and would deduct a percentage from the marked price. I eventually figured it out: The marked price is ridiculously high, because the owner knows that any self-respecting customer from the Middle East or Indian subcontinent will expect to bargain. Westerners, on the other hand, often find bargaining distasteful, or at very least, awkward, but love the idea of buying something on sale. If the Westerner should choose to bargain over and above the "sale price", they might get close to the price that the bargainer pays. If they don't, that's also OK, as they are probably earning expat salaries and can afford to pay more, and anyway, they got their bargain at sale price, and have left congratulating themselves on their good fortune and astute sense of timing. It's a win-win situation, and the thinking permeates culture, so getting a 25c discount actually does matter!

That alone wouldn't bother me- we barter a lot and its best not to take it personally. The seller said she was willing to negotiate.

But I might take it into account as one factor if I was already wondering if she weren't the best person for the job.

ETA_ I have noticed that people who don't barter, who haven't been exposed to bartering, don't play the 2nd hand market etc- often feel very uncomfortable about it. I think that often says something about them and what they've been exposed to, rather than the people who are bartering. You can barter respectfully, or rudely. A good barter is quite fun for everyone involved.

Edited by Peela

I would feel negatively towards her, but it would not be so much about greed (in the money sense) as about her willingness to put another person in an awkward position so that she could benefit (and the benefit is perhaps more emotional than financial here).

!

:iagree: there were clues there that the other people were uncomfortable and she proceeded anyway.... for me, i want a teacher whose primary concern is the children not the subject at hand.

fwiw,

ann

Some people (and cultures) are more likely to be into bargaining. Because someone bargains at a used book sale, I would not consider her greedy or thrifty for that matter (just into bargaining). It's a game for a lot of people. I can see her joke as being just that--a joke--that shows she regards the whole thing as harmless. Many people would.

Now if she is socially inappropriate in multiple ways, if she demands her way or the highway, etc. then that's a different story. But I would not take different approaches to buying used stuff as the basis of hiring/not hiring someone who would otherwise be a good teacher.

Edited by Laurie4b

ETA_ I have noticed that people who don't barter, who haven't been exposed to bartering, don't play the 2nd hand market etc- often feel very uncomfortable about it. I think that often says something about them and what they've been exposed to, rather than the people who are bartering. You can barter respectfully, or rudely. A good barter is quite fun for everyone involved.

dbl post.

Edited by Laurie4b

Heavens, no, it wouldn't bother me. Dickering at a used book sale is entirely different than hiring for a teaching position. I grew up in cultures where bargaining was part of the culture...in fact, you insulted the seller if you didn't try to talk them down and give them a good back and forth in the process. Different people come from different places. It doesn't mean that she'll do this with teaching (I practically taught one class for free one year...I know others like a good bargain as much as I do ;) )

:iagree::iagree: I think it colors the way her behavior was interpreted.

Well, if I saw someone go to an auction and only up the price a penny at a time I wouldn't think less of them. She went for a whole quarter :D extravagant!!!!!

No, it wouldn't effect my decision one way or another. Although, I would have felt more like patting her back than cutting her off at the knees with a comment mid negotiations.

I think it's fun to negotiate at a garage sale. Seriously... fun. (So, I don't get out much! LOL!) If she was at a garage sale, flea market or tag sale would that situation have influenced you differently?

But the way someone negotiates says something. Right? Go with what is right for the group as a whole.

That alone wouldn't bother me- we barter a lot and its best not to take it personally. The seller said she was willing to negotiate.

But I might take it into account as one factor if I was already wondering if she weren't the best person for the job.

:iagree: My dh is very adept at bartering. It's not something I like to do.

Honestly, I wouldn't give a rat's @$$, as my dad says, how much this woman sold her books for. I don't think the situation has anything to do with her teaching in your co-op. This transaction was between the seller and the buyer and doesn't really involve you at all.

Tara

I didn't vote, because I don't think this is about greed at all, I think it's all about control. I don't enjoy working with people who can't see beyond themselves or their own desires. It never works out well.

If one of the poll options had been, "Don't invite disharmony", I would have voted.

I'm not fond of the "joke", but my decision to hire her to teach would be based on her teaching ability.

:iagree: And yes, personality does come into a bit, but I'm not sure I'd make the decision based on one event, especially one that is within the range of normal. I can see if she had been grossly rude or insulting, but she just haggled.

The seller did say she'd negotiate.

The seller didn't say she only negotiate until she or an observer (you) got uncomfortable.

Why did you say what you said about the price of the books? Were you worried the seller was getting scammed? I don't know if I would have felt comfortable myself getting involved with their transaction because it was just between the two of them, not me. Maybe the "hush carrie" comment was a gentle way of saying MYOB.

Unless I am misunderstanding something?

You said the seller specifically said she would negotiate, right? While I almost always pay asking price (trying to talk someone down on their price makes me feel uncomfortable unless it is a car dealer), I know people who do this routinely. It sounds like she had a smile on her face and was just "playing the game" that the seller had agreed to play by saying she would negotiate.

That said, I understand where you're coming from. I am on a leadership team at my co-op, and it is very important to make wise choices for the good of the group. While I don't see the situation you posted as a big deal, I wasn't there - you were. If you have a funny feeling about this person, you need to trust your intuition. As for hiring or not hiring, how strong is your feeling that something just isn't right with this person?

You said the seller specifically said she would negotiate, right? While I almost always pay asking price (trying to talk someone down on their price makes me feel uncomfortable unless it is a car dealer), I know people who do this routinely. It sounds like she had a smile on her face and was just "playing the game" that the seller had agreed to play by saying she would negotiate.

That said, I understand where you're coming from. I am on a leadership team at my co-op, and it is very important to make wise choices for the good of the group. While I don't see the situation you posted as a big deal, I wasn't there - you were. If you have a funny feeling about this person, you need to trust your intuition. As for hiring or not hiring, how strong is your feeling that something just isn't right with this person?

And usually when a SELLER says they will negotiate, then that means they WANT to negotiate...in fact, may look forward to it. It sounded like she was enjoying herself in that moment. Had absolutely nothing to do with her teaching in the co-op. Apples and oranges.

This whole thing really needs to be turned around, with the Bargainer/Potential Teacher posting a poll asking if she should teach a co-op for a person who tried to undermine a simple used book negotiation.

:D

Yeah, there's that. ;)

(I am not saying the carrie was trying to undermine it b/c I don't know why she was a part of it. But you can look at it from the book buyer's POV)

Bargaining is not rude nor is it an indication of greed. Especially when the seller has said she is willing to negotiate!

For all we know, she donates the difference between her book budget and her spending to charity and she wanted to maximize her giving. Or she loves the thrill of a good deal. Nothing wrong with either one and it shouldn't factor into the hiring decision at all.

What bothers me is that the seller agreed to the discounted price and then the buyer wanted to negotiate more.

Hmm. That's not how I read it.

From the original post:

The seller offered a lower price for the stack of books, and this buyer lady... tried to get her down, and finally, when the seller said "Ok, $14.00, the buyer said '$13.50' and the lady said... 'hmmm... no... $14.00' to which the buyer lady said '$13.75' " and so the seller relented, because... well, it was very awkward.
The seller offered to lower her price to $14, but that doesn't mean the buyer is ethically obligated to accept it.

That was just an initial concession. In a negotiation, the buyer still gets to counter-offer.

:iagree:I married into a bartering family from a bartering culture - America's rural south. Bartering makes me very uncomfortable, but this is the way my dh was raised. He is the most generous person I know, but he will barter in almost any situation, and so will most of the people I know from his area. I've tried to make him see that it may come across as rude or "penny pinching" to people who are not used to it. He has also helped me to learn to be more comfortable with the process. I still walk away when he's making a deal. :tongue_smilie:

I come from a bartering culture - rural South - and negotiating is common here. I would not think her negotiating a price for used books the seller had specifically indicated she was willing to negotiate on would have anything to do with her teaching ability, nor would it by itself be an indication that she would be difficult to work with.

And I agree with pps that her 'joke' may well have been a polite and graceful way to handle you impeding her negotiation. My grandmother would not have been nearly so polite about it. :tongue_smilie:

I come from a bartering culture - rural South - and negotiating is common here. I would not think her negotiating a price for used books the seller had specifically indicated she was willing to negotiate on would have anything to do with her teaching ability, nor would it by itself be an indication that she would be difficult to work with.

And I agree with pps that her 'joke' may well have been a polite and graceful way to handle you impeding her negotiation. My grandmother would not have been nearly so polite about it. :tongue_smilie:

Neither would many people I know. They would have seen that as rude, to say the least.

Honestly, I wouldn't give a rat's @$$, as my dad says, how much this woman sold her books for. I don't think the situation has anything to do with her teaching in your co-op. This transaction was between the seller and the buyer and doesn't really involve you at all.

Tara

This would bug me, it would lower my opinion of her. I enjoy a good bargain, but if she was already getting a very good price, and the seller lowered it to 14.00 for her already, I would see that as an issue. I don't know what the issue is, but it sounds to me like a lack of care for the other person.

I'm all for trying for a lower price if the seller states that, but only to a certain point, which I think she crossed. She already got a lower price.

If someone did that to me I would see them as cheap and it would effect later dealing with them.

Well.... She was looking at the book when I said "good price" for it. It was $10.00, new condition... and sells for almost $30.00. It was a good price....

This would bug me, it would lower my opinion of her. I enjoy a good bargain, but if she was already getting a very good price, and the seller lowered it to 14.00 for her already, I would see that as an issue. I don't know what the issue is, but it sounds to me like a lack of care for the other person.

I'm all for trying for a lower price if the seller states that, but only to a certain point, which I think she crossed. She already got a lower price.

If someone did that to me I would see them as cheap and it would effect later dealing with them.

But it is YOUR OPINIONS that it is a good price.

To another person, the price might be way too high.

JMO, take it for what it is worth (nothing, and nothing from nothing leaves nothing...)

I didn't vote, because I don't think this is about greed at all, I think it's all about control. I don't enjoy working with people who can't see beyond themselves or their own desires. It never works out well.

If one of the poll options had been, "Don't invite disharmony", I would have voted.

:iagree: It seemed about control to me. How would this person be to work with? I have a BIL like this. He is wealthy beyond my wildest dreams and he is soooo cheap. He always has to have the last word and always has to be right. I wouldn't work with him in a million years.

Now, if this were the only area where this personality trait surfaced, I wouldn't choose not to hire this person. However, this would be red flag to look deeper.