Menu

Home School Mothers Lack Self Confidence?

Well, maybe we think we're giving our daughters a better education than ps gave us? Dunno, just a thought. :rolleyes:

I think this guy has dialect problems. No woman could have written this article because they know "I can't" very frequently means "Naff off! I have enough to do already. I'm BUSY you know! And you OUGHT to know!"

And I just love the "heavy lifting" idea. As if women all suck at the great and noble maths and sciences. As if learning to write is an easy, peasy, wimpy sort of thing that matters less. What a twat.

Actually, I think they are all variations of "if you are so **** lazy that you can't research for yourself, you shouldn't be homeschooling anyway."

My pontificating for the morning...

:tongue_smilie:

Rosie

:lol: So, how do you really feel about this, Rosie?

p.s. I love you.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He must move in very nearrow circles indeed. I know only a handful of homeschool families who use entirely "traditional" circulum. Most are electic, many with some elements of neoclassical education.

And I suspect that most homeschooling parents are too busy to spend their time developing free curiculum. I know some who have developed curriculum that they charge for, and it is indeed a time-consuming process. Most of us don't have large blocks of time for that, much less the financial freedom to not charge for it.

This is my favorite part:

"For older children, here is what is needed: an integrated curriculum that is tied to history. The students read history and literature chronologically, with each reinforcing the other....There is no curriculum out there that offers anything like this."

Ummm....

SWB

Edited by Susan Wise Bauer

"For older children, here is what is needed: an integrated curriculum that is tied ot history. The students read history and literature chronologically, with each reinforcing the other....There is no curriculum out there that offers anything like this."

Ummm....

SWB

:lol: But, you didn't make that FREE. Also, you should probably go into homes and actually teach everyone's children.

Well, maybe we think we're giving our daughters a better education than ps gave us? Dunno, just a thought. :rolleyes:

I think this guy has dialect problems. No woman could have written this article because they know "I can't" very frequently means "Naff off! I have enough to do already. I'm BUSY you know! And you OUGHT to know!"

And I just love the "heavy lifting" idea. As if women all suck at the great and noble maths and sciences. As if learning to write is an easy, peasy, wimpy sort of thing that matters less. What a twat.

Actually, I think they are all variations of "if you are so **** lazy that you can't research for yourself, you shouldn't be homeschooling anyway."

My pontificating for the morning...

:tongue_smilie:

Rosie

Rosie, I think I am becoming besotted with you.

This article is just dumb. I help lots of people with homeschooling. I teach in a co-op so I am helping children learn things their parents feel I could better teach them. I give away homeschool books that we have outgrown. I give advise when asked. But I don't have the time or energy to devise new curriculums and don't see any reason why I would devise a new integrated history and literature curriculum for the upper grades hen we already have such a book- THe Well Trained Mind.

"For older children, here is what is needed: an integrated curriculum that is tied to history. The students read history and literature chronologically, with each reinforcing the other....There is no curriculum out there that offers anything like this."

Ummm....

SWB

Oh yeah, that's why that line was ringing bells...

:lol:

Rosie

Ummm....

SWB

You didn't write a curriculum or anything, right? And certainly not one "tied to history...":001_huh:

:iagree: My time is limited though, and my time management skills are even more limited! Plus, I like to sleep.

:iagree:

Self-confidence isn't lacking. Self-discipline and time management skills, maybe! :tongue_smilie:

I certainly have enough ideas running around in my head about hs'ing...it's just finding a quiet moment long enough to get them into some sort of coherent format that others can use that's the problem! :lol:

Quite the slap in the face to the women who are in the trenches doing the work! As some of you have already said, there are so many women who give their time through one-on-one encouragement to new homeschool moms and through co-ops. Not to mention the message boards, Yahoo groups and blogs out there to share information! We use Ambleside (put together by women), Spell to Write and Read (hmm...written by a woman), and we are adding in SOTW next year (gee, also written by a woman!). I wonder if this author even knows any homeschooling families. This guy is loony. What he claims is needed for K-6 is already available on the web....and even for free! I'm not sure the best use of our experience, time and energy is to constantly reinvent the wheel.

ETA: This is going to keep me chuckling all day! I love how someone can scrawl a few ideas done on a piece of paper and say, "That wasn't so hard, now was it?!" I mean, anyone can just dash off an entire curriculum! Shouldn't take you more than an afternoon at the most!

Edited by Cricket

I can't help myself, let me list my favorite hs moms who write curriculum:

Jessie Wise

Susan Wise Bauer

Jeannie Fulbright

Ann Voskamp

AmblesideOnline advisory board

Marcia Somerville

Marie Hazell

Robin Sampson

the author of Elemental Science

Penny Gardner

Sonya Shayer-Free online- simplycharlottemason.com

Carrie Austin-Heart of Dakota

Amy Pak-Homeschool in the Woods

Just to add a few more!

Furthermore, I don't want a youtube based curriculum where I plop my dc down to learn. I want to teach my dc. There are plenty DVD based curriculums if that is what I wanted.

HS curriculum is not that expensive. I buy used and school my dc for under $300 a year!

I also like this part:

"3. Basic grammar, based on actual literature, not boring stand-alone rules" How many good programs do we have for grammar now?

Especially since KISS exactly fits this description and it's free! And I don't even use it because I've found other programs that work better for my kids and are very low cost.

I actually think the opposite is the problem. I see far too many poorly written, lacking materials written by homeschooler for homeschoolers. There is great stuff, but truly now anyone can write something and publish it. I feel so sorry for new homeschoolers, both online and at curriculum fairs, considering the overwhelming amount of choice and the lack of a way to judge it all to find what is at least adequate and comprehensive.

(Though I do think many homeschool mothers have a lack of confidence in their abilities, but I chalk that up to the same machine that makes mothers in general doubt their abilities.)

Edited by angela in ohio

Ummm....

SWB

Gee, do you feel invisible now? ;) :D

I actually think the opposite is the problem. I see far too many poorly written, lacking materials written by homeschooler for homeschoolers. There is great stuff, but truly now anyone can write something and publish it. I feel so sorry for new homeschoolers, both online and at curriculum fairs, considering the overwhelming amount of choice and the lack of a way to judge it all to find what is at least adequate and comprehensive.

(Though I do think many homeschool mothers have a lack of confidence in their abilities, but I chalk that up to the same machine that makes mothers in general doubt their abilities.)

This is worrisome. I have bought some of these things, and while some are truly gems, many (many many many) more leave me with buyer's remorse.

I'm finally learning though. I may be learning slowly, but I'm learning. (And I don't think I've screwed my kids up too badly. :tongue_smilie:)

Well Hive, it's obvious that something proactive must be done to reeducate this man.

So, let's show him how industrious we really are. Let's find a worthy cause in need of some cash, rent a dunking booth, invite him to be the dunkee, and charge a $1.00 for 3 balls! You know, I'm pretty certain we'd raise some serious bucks.

SWB gets the first set of balls. After we are done drowning him, maybe he'll think twice about the average homeschool mother's self-confidence!:D:D

Oh, and let's make sure that SpyCar, Father of Pearl, and Barry Goldwater plus all of our other homeschool dads (whose names escape me) get a chance to dunk him as well...after all, it really wasn't fair of him to exclude them from his so "carefully researched, well reasoned" treatise!

Faith (Never, ever mess with a homeschool mother who has a nasty headache, two lambs living in the family room and constantly wanting a bottle, sub-zero windchills at the barn and a STUPID EWE who birthed outside in the snow when a perfectly love nest of straw was waiting for her in a lovely stall with a heat lamp inside the barn, a puppy that refuses to behave itself, five science events to coordinate for 4-H in the next three months and a plethora of emails to sift through concerning these events, dissecting that was supposed to happen today but the sheep refuse to cooporate with the plan, worship team practice tonight at church, children who think they should be fed as often as the lambs, a husband who can't get his colleagues off the phone so he can help, and a turtle that's listing and looks like it might be seriously sick!)

I came across this article today and thought some here may find it interesting.

http://www.garynorth.com/public/7607.cfm

I happen to think he's misinformed. Off the top of my head I can think of Ambleside online as a free curriculum designed by home school moms and there are long threads right here on this forum detailing other free home school curricula.

Another thought that I had is that a lot of moms do develop curricula, however they have enough self confidence to charge for what they have created. :D

Are you kidding me??

I don't lack self-confidence. I'm one of the most arrogant homeschooling moms I know -- along with half this board. :D

If that offends anyone, don't worry. You aren't in the arrogant half. ;)

Ummm....

SWB

That guy doesn't know what he's talking about. :glare:

What a moron. Someone should send him a Rainbow Resource catalog. :lol: If he thinks ACE, BJ, and Abeka are the biggest 3 then he hasn't looked deep enough.

Exactly. I give him an F on this paper because he certainly did not do any discernible research. In 15 minutes, I could find dozens of examples to refute his claims. And what the heck is wrong with using materials out there not written by homeschooling moms? We use what works for us. Why reinvent the wheel if one already exist?

I don't lack self-confidence. I'm one of the most arrogant homeschooling moms I know -- along with half this board. :D

I bet FAR fewer than half are offended.

He sent these links. I think it helps to understand where he's coming from. I will have to agree to disagree with him. He's so far out of my view that I don't even have a response.

http://www.garynorth.com/public/3155.cfm

http://www.freechristiancurriculum.com/

I think it's less that he has not done his research and more that he has an axe to grind.

Edited by Cindyz

Self-confidence isn't lacking. Self-discipline and time management skills, maybe! :tongue_smilie:

I certainly have enough ideas running around in my head about hs'ing...it's just finding a quiet moment long enough to get them into some sort of coherent format that others can use that's the problem! :lol:

And he seems to address that. You're doing your children's child a disservice because you won't get organized. If you don't start developing free lesson for your children to use with your grandchildren, they'll end up in state run schools and be cursed with Humanism.

The experienced mothers who could do this refuse to do it. They have moved into R&R mode. For them, the war is over. They got their kids through. That's it. No more. Hasta la vista.I replied: This . . . is . . . a . . . war.

If today's retired home school mothers will not fight for their grandchildren, to help them win this war, then the next generation will still be sitting in the back of humanism's bus, just as we and our ancestors have since about 1700.

I have so many issues with this article I don't know where to begin.

A nice easy place, though, is the idea that women's work should be for free: they don't need to be concerned about wealth building, apparently. Maybe that's a task limited to husbands? Or is the presumption more of the "God will provide" flavor? I haven't read much about this guy to know.

Edited by amey311
to add quote from the end of the article about the horrors of humanism and women wanting a break

Why on earth should a mother give away her time and expertise to people outside her family?

Well, the article linked to was hilariously ill-informed and just insulting. However, I would agree that there's a very good reason to create and give away curricula for other homeschoolers to use. If you believe that the education system is broken, that homeschooling is the answer for a large number of families (more than are doing it now), and that there's a need for a new curricula that doesn't exist, then if you create it and give it away, then you're basically engaging in activism on behalf of homeschooling for the future. I don't think he was saying we all should, but that at least some should. The idiocy of it is that some already do and he just didn't know what he was talking about.

The other thing that I would point out though is that for most people, homeschooling is a calling that is specific to their family, as you point out. It looks inward, not outward. I personally feel a real leading (sorry, mixing general Christian and Quaker terminology there) to help others in my community homeschool, which is why I've been the mod of a local list and why I'm directing an INSANE Shakespeare production for homeschoolers for free. But I think it's fair that not everyone feels that and I have begun to see that it's somewhat unusual in the homeschool world.

He sent these links. I think it helps to understand where he's coming from. I will have to agree to disagree with him. He's so far out of my view that I don't even have a response.

I think it's less that he has not done his research and more that he has an axe to grind.

So, he thinks that by introducing ancient Greek literature to our children, we're condoning all facets of ancient Greek society? :glare:

We teach our children about all kinds of things that we don't necessarily practice ourselves. We watch Nat Geo programs dealing with the practices of indigenous African tribes... but we don't let them run around naked, paint their bodies, and pierce their faces.

Well, the article linked to was hilariously ill-informed and just insulting. However, I would agree that there's a very good reason to create and give away curricula for other homeschoolers to use. If you believe that the education system is broken, that homeschooling is the answer for a large number of families (more than are doing it now), and that there's a need for a new curricula that doesn't exist, then if you create it and give it away, then you're basically engaging in activism on behalf of homeschooling for the future. I don't think he was saying we all should, but that at least some should. The idiocy of it is that some already do and he just didn't know what he was talking about.

The other thing that I would point out though is that for most people, homeschooling is a calling that is specific to their family, as you point out. It looks inward, not outward. I personally feel a real leading (sorry, mixing general Christian and Quaker terminology there) to help others in my community homeschool, which is why I've been the mod of a local list and why I'm directing an INSANE Shakespeare production for homeschoolers for free. But I think it's fair that not everyone feels that and I have begun to see that it's somewhat unusual in the homeschool world.

I appreciate more than I can say all of the resources and shared wisdom I've gotten from veteran HSers. I know I need all the free/low-cost resources I can get my hands on if I want to make homeschooling work for us. That's not to say I don't value the information, or think that the hardworking people putting out there don't deserve to be paid for their time & effort... just that I can't afford a whole lot right now. If I could pay everyone who's helped us out what they're worth... Wooh! I would be sending out BIG checks!

I understand why a woman would, but I question why she should.

I completely understand and agree with the value of volunteerism and giving of one's personal gifts. It is something that my family believes in with whole heart, and makes a point of offering.

However, I believe those gifts should be freely given, and from the heart. An 'open letter,' one man's condemnation and and expectation are not the things that bring out the desire to give.

Part of my note to him was that not only do we have self confident women, the homeschooling community actually has plenty of over confident women ;)

Ummm....

SWB

Ya' know...I think you are just the woman to write such a program.:D Ever think of writing? A publishing company? You certainly have potential!!!

:lol::lol::lol:

Ya' know...I think you are just the woman to write such a program.:D Ever think of writing? A publishing company? You certainly have potential!!!

:lol::lol::lol:

*snerk*

Read his e-mail addendum.

Well, why doesn't he get off his lazy keister and write one himself since he's all het up?

Edited by justamouse

For an author who purports himself to be an expert in economics... the reason more homeschool curriculum isn't completely free should be pretty obvious.

I can also tell him where my mother, a veteran homeschooler, is doing with all of her "free time." She's caring, full time, for her mother who has dimensia. Familial obligations don't stop simply because the children have "flown the coop." New ones find ways to replace old ones. If my mother had a choice, she'd be right beside me every day... helping guide and teach her grandchildren. She'd love nothing better.

Every veteran homeschooling mom I know bends over backwards to do all they can to encourage their daughters to not only homeschool, but give them the assistance and support they lacked.

Just my 2 cents as a 2nd generation homeschooling mom of five...as well as someone who has started two homeschool debate teams, taught speech and debate co-op classes, and will be doing so again this fall.

Yeah, we don't help, support, encourage, or assist one another at. all.

He's a reconstructionist. He's fighting everyone that doesn't agree with every dot and tittle of his views.

Which would explain why he ignored that fabulous book on classical education. It would be too "humanistic" for his liking.

From Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humanism

"This historical and literary use of the word "humanist" derives from the 15th-century Italian term umanista, meaning a teacher or scholar of Classical Greek and Latin literature and the ethical philosophy behind it."

Oh, good grief! :001_rolleyes: So, even though I'm one of the moms giving away free homeschool stuff, I'm part of the problem because I include Greek literature. :001_huh:

Do you know what my kids learned from reading evil Greek tales like The Iliad? They learned that war is costly (materially and with human lives) and that it's best to avoid it. What a horrible lesson for them to have learned. :tongue_smilie:

Part of my note to him was that not only do we have self confident women, the homeschooling community actually has plenty of over confident women ;)

Me!

I spend a lot of my time talking to new home schoolers and giving out what I've done with my kids and so have many other on these boards. Many have blogs that I read regularly and get great ideas - for free! See we do that already, it's just that women often network differently than men.

This author is clearly not in the know and it seems clear that he hasn't met many of us.

I understand why a woman would, but I question why she should.

I completely understand and agree with the value of volunteerism and giving of one's personal gifts. It is something that my family believes in with whole heart, and makes a point of offering.

However, I believe those gifts should be freely given, and from the heart. An 'open letter,' one man's condemnation and and expectation are not the things that bring out the desire to give.

Agreed. And "should" is a tough word. I think I have a hope that people will see a value in giving things away (and glad that they do!) and that some individuals will personally feel that they should give - not that I think anyone else should, if that makes any sense.

Seeing this guy's anti-classical bias was clearly the end of the discussion there for me. Sigh. So he's one of *those* people. He's ill-informed because he doesn't want to be informed. Being informed is dangerous. Double sigh.

Reading his two links, and his response to the e-mail. He is trying to sell something...himself. It might be a free curriculum that he is trying to promote. There might be money associated with the free curriculum one day (advertisers, speech tour, a book etc..) if it is successful. He might just be trying to earn prestige, and he is mad that the home school community by and large is ignoring him. He is a PhD and a male after all. He sounds like he is mad that us homeschool moms are ignoring him instead of doing what he wants us to do.

I wish now that I had not sent an e-mail to him. All this attention has probably made his day. I for one and going to ignore him so he can just slip quietly back into nothingness.