Menu

Home School Mothers Lack Self Confidence?

His article is absurd. I don't know where he is getting some of his info. Obviously he isn't as clued into homeschool curriculum as he should be. I'd like to know if it ever occurred to him that a major reason many homeschool moms (and dads) don't get into the 'marketing game' is because they are so busy HOMESCHOOLING. Apparently he isn't aware that there is already a LOT of curriculum and idea sharing between homeschoolers. He is an idiot.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh my! I just read his response to the very well worded homeschooler that emailed him. He completely missed her point. It is obvious that he is hopelessly enamored with his own ridiculous ideas. Let's hope he finds some other crusade besides homeschooling, he is an embarrassment.

Yes, I wonder if this guy does his job for free or next to nothing.

Well, I was wondered what his business is, exactly, so I started clicking around and ran across this post: Why You Should Not Allow Non-Paying People Post on Your Blog Site's Forums

It has to do with wasting time. It also has to do with positioning the site. Keep the tone high. . . .

Curious, I clicked on the link but alas! One must be a subscriber (at the low, low rate of $14.95 a month) to access the content. Too bad SWB gives away her forum time...she could really be building wealth like this guy.

Oh, wait. She is building wealth...from WRITING AND SELLING CURRICULUM! Silly me.

Penny Gardner

Sonya Shayer-Free online- simplycharlottemason.com

Carrie Austin-Heart of Dakota

Amy Pak-Homeschool in the Woods

Let's keep going!

Elizabeth Foss (CM style unit study plans available free on her site)

Linda Faye (Higher Up and Further In, a full CM curriculum free online)

Kathryn Faulkner and Michele Quigley (MA, full CM curriculum free online)

ElizabethB's free phonics program

and not so free...

Kathy Weitz, Lene Jaqua, Tracy Davis Gustilo- Classical Writing

Laura Berquist (DYOCC, MODG)

Paige Hudson (Elemental Science)

just to name a few...

Edited by MyFourSons
spelling

He's too busy...answering emails from confident women.:tongue_smilie:

Well, he must be REALLY busy answering emails because all I received in reply was a 7-word response, with 4 of those words misspelled. Perhaps someone should send him a link to a free spelling program.

Well, he must be REALLY busy answering emails because all I received in reply was a 7-word response, with 4 of those words misspelled. Perhaps someone should send him a link to a free spelling program.

Maybe you should write one :w00t::smilielol5:.

Or...send him a link to Elizabeth's website explaining how to use Webster's speller...yet another confident woman (Elizabeth, not Webster).:D

Faith (Never, ever mess with a homeschool mother who has a nasty headache, two lambs living in the family room and constantly wanting a bottle, sub-zero windchills at the barn and a STUPID EWE who birthed outside in the snow when a perfectly love nest of straw was waiting for her in a lovely stall with a heat lamp inside the barn, a puppy that refuses to behave itself, five science events to coordinate for 4-H in the next three months and a plethora of emails to sift through concerning these events, dissecting that was supposed to happen today but the sheep refuse to cooporate with the plan, worship team practice tonight at church, children who think they should be fed as often as the lambs, a husband who can't get his colleagues off the phone so he can help, and a turtle that's listing and looks like it might be seriously sick!)

Faith, we need to have COFFEE and compare notes.

SWB

He's a "Christian Reconstructionist" (a.k.a. theonomist) and writes/speaks in a vein similar to Gary DeMar, Greg Bahnsen and others who have taught and elaborated on the political and theological ideas of Rousas J. Rushdoony.

He obviously has no clues at all about homeschooling moms or curriculum!

I knew his name sounded familiar. He was R.J. Rushdoony's sil. He's a NUT. He's the one that would like to stone homosexuals. I mean, what can you expect from him.

We watch Nat Geo programs dealing with the practices of indigenous African tribes... but we don't let them run around naked, paint their bodies, and pierce their faces.

Eek! We aren't supposed to make them do this?? :svengo:

I supposed I should go wipe down my 4 year old and take those piercings out of his lips then....

"Elinor agreed to it all, for she did not think he deserved the compliment of rational opposition."

SWEET QUOTE!

Susan, I live in Michigan. Due to global weirdness, Michigan is now Antartica and I am not a penguin though I do have layers of cold animal blubber that I am not proud of! I'd love to have coffee with you. Alas, I am drinking a hot toddy for throat, trying very hard not to raid the cupboard for m & m's to console myself with, praying that those little baa's do not wake up in the night for nurishment since they are giving my 10 and 12 year old boys quite an attitude about eating nicely - thus I will be on call AGAIN, and staring at the world's cutest 5 month old cocker spaniel and wondering WHY DID WE EVER BRING YOU HOME!

Just possibly I will get to experience the joy of Virginia, a place called White Plains, in May if our TARC Rocketry team manages to make it to the national finals. Part of me wants to see them make it; part of me believes that it will take valium for me as well as the seven 7th/8th graders, in order to have a happy trip. I am not sure our 4-H council would be amused by my drugging the children much less myself. Sigh. Maybe it is the fact that we have another practice flight this Saturday and it will only be 2 degrees out that makes me wish the rocket ill will!

I have a feeling that if we were to compare notes, we would need the largest lattes Barnes and Nobles has every created plus an all out assault on the chocolate.

Faith

Reading his two links, and his response to the e-mail. He is trying to sell something...himself. It might be a free curriculum that he is trying to promote. There might be money associated with the free curriculum one day (advertisers, speech tour, a book etc..) if it is successful. He might just be trying to earn prestige, and he is mad that the home school community by and large is ignoring him. He is a PhD and a male after all. He sounds like he is mad that us homeschool moms are ignoring him instead of doing what he wants us to do.

I wish now that I had not sent an e-mail to him. All this attention has probably made his day. I for one and going to ignore him so he can just slip quietly back into nothingness.

Oooohhh! He has a PhD! Well now that makes such a difference!

Everyone on this board with a PhD, whip yours out and we'll measure up with Mr. North.

I'll even go first. I'm THAT self-confident. :D

He sent these links. I think it helps to understand where he's coming from. I will have to agree to disagree with him. He's so far out of my view that I don't even have a response.

http://www.garynorth.com/public/3155.cfm

http://www.freechristiancurriculum.com/

I think it's less that he has not done his research and more that he has an axe to grind.

The self-contradiction is mind-boggling! Don't learn Latin because it's the gateway drug to classical, humanistic Greek philosophers. Classical education is the Trojan horse for the Christian. OTOH, do learn Greek (only for the NT, not as a gateway drug to classical, humanistic Greek philosophers) and do learn Shakespeare (suicide, murder, bawdy jokes apparently appropriate to be slurped right on down by his Christian dd, not like the naughty Illiad. ) :lol: This is not me laughing--it's my head rolling back and forth! As my mother is fond of saying, "You can't outsmart stupid."

Edited by Laurie4b

The self-contradiction is mind-boggling! Don't learn Latin because it's the gateway drug to classical, humanistic Greek philosophers. Classical education is the Trojan horse for the Christian. OTOH, do learn Greek (only for the NT, not as a gateway drug to classical, humanistic Greek philosophers) and do learn Shakespeare (suicide, murder, bawdy jokes apparently appropriate to be slurped right on down by his Christian dd, not like the naughty Illiad. ) :lol: This is not me laughing--it's my head rolling back and forth! As my mother is fond of saying, "You can't outsmart stupid."

Or how about this: Homeschoolers should teach their children the theories of Ludwig von Mises (who was explicitly anti-Christian). But we shouldn't touch Aristotle's work with a 10-foot pole. :001_huh:

I'm also amused by the way he implies that materials you print yourself are free. Has he not priced printer cartridges, paper, and binding supplies recently? Or maybe he's still using up his Y2K stash.

I found this on the "free curriculum" website he puts out:

Daily Study Time Required

The core curriculum requires four hours a day until high school.

An hour of arithmetic

15 minutes of penmanship (switch to typing at age 11)

An hour of reading (45 minutes of reading from a printed page, followed by 15 minutes of speed reading review on a computer)

A half hour of grammar, spelling, and vocabulary

20 minutes of writing

10 minutes of "lecturing to the wall" on the daily theme

A half hour of the Bible

15 minutes of Bible memorization and catechism

:glare: Maybe "the wall" responded well to his little article before he published it. So he posted it. The daily theme being:
Something I Know Nothing About.

On the other hand, I now know where can I sign up my kids to be taught by a sexist loon.

:D From Angela, a mom firmly in the arrogant half :D

I found this on the "free curriculum" website he puts out:

Daily Study Time Required

The core curriculum requires four hours a day until high school.

An hour of arithmetic

15 minutes of penmanship (switch to typing at age 11)

An hour of reading (45 minutes of reading from a printed page, followed by 15 minutes of speed reading review on a computer)

A half hour of grammar, spelling, and vocabulary

20 minutes of writing

10 minutes of "lecturing to the wall" on the daily theme

A half hour of the Bible

15 minutes of Bible memorization and catechism

:glare: Maybe "the wall" responded well to his little article before he published it. So he posted it. The daily theme being:
Something I Know Nothing About.

On the other hand, I now know where can I sign up my kids to be taught by a sexist loon.

:D From Angela, a mom firmly in the arrogant half :D

Now I have Pink Floyd stuck firmly in my brain. ...We don't need no education....:lol::lol:

I emailed him asking about his wife's free curriculum (assuming that since he suggested it to the masses, of course his wife had already done it herself) and he sent me a link to "Dr. Gary North's Free Christian Curriculum" and then called me a "snot nosed jerk for Jesus"

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

:blink: Wow...at least he was able to get those communication lessons up to par. I find it funny that he always says "MY curriculum" and "Gary North's curriculum".....it reminds me of that Mrs. Piggle Wiggle story about that selfish kid:

"This is X's lunchbox, DON'T TOUCH"

"This is X's ego, DON'T TOUCH"

:lol:

:lol: But, you didn't make that FREE. Also, you should probably go into homes and actually teach everyone's children.

If you consider that the original WTM edition predated SOTW, FLL and WWE and recommended reading and summarizing/outlining books that were largely expected to come from the library, then it can be a low cost and economical way of homeschooling.

Plus a couple more homeschool parents putting it out there.

How about Barb of Handbook of Nature Study and Harmony Art Mom blogs, who has not only written a bunch of great nature and art/music curriculum (Harmony Fine ARt, but also has so many great outdoor challenges and music notebooking pages on her blogs that you could use them as a free curriculum. And much of her free and packaged for sale curriculum uses commonly available or free resources, so that even the nature study books and music resources are thrifty.

How about Lydia the author of Little Blue School blog, who has free lessons on Elections, Treasure Island, Novel Writing, The Aeneid, The Jungle Book, and The Three Musketeers?

I had a comment about the author of the original blog venting, but decided it wasn't worth my time (which is better spent cuddling my kids, unpacking our household goods - including all our school books, beta testing a forthcoming writing curriculum for middle grades by a homeschool grad and homeschool mom - who seems to have a real talent for producing homeschooling curriculum and who is a worker who is worthy of her hire, leading scouting units, being a helpmeet to my husband and knitting).

Reading his two links, and his response to the e-mail. He is trying to sell something...himself. It might be a free curriculum that he is trying to promote. There might be money associated with the free curriculum one day (advertisers, speech tour, a book etc..) if it is successful. He might just be trying to earn prestige, and he is mad that the home school community by and large is ignoring him. He is a PhD and a male after all. He sounds like he is mad that us homeschool moms are ignoring him instead of doing what he wants us to do.

I wish now that I had not sent an e-mail to him. All this attention has probably made his day. I for one and going to ignore him so he can just slip quietly back into nothingness.

I remember the one time that I walked out of a homeschool conference workshop. The speaker was a well known experienced homeschooler with connections to the leadership of a state organization. Her workshop was on homeschooling history.

The nonsense that she came up with embarassed me as a homeschooler, as a history lover and as a Christian (she claimed to be integrating history and the Bible, but in was that made no sense). I remember seeing her name on conference workshops for at least a few more years, until we left that state. I told several friends about how disappointed I was, and also submitted a negative review to the conference organizers. But it was in the pre-internet era and an online outing wasn't an option.

I don't think that the burble of publicity that you give someone is too much cost to pay for the resulting outing of their preconceptions and poor reasoning. If there hadn't been a thread like this, then I might have taken this guy seriously for a time. Now I know better than to buy any of the snake oil he's selling.

• 2 years later...

I'm a little bit confused about his point. He seems to be saying

• Homeschool moms aren't helping other homeschool moms. ("New home school mothers need guidance..." continued below)
  • Homeschool moms should write curriculum for free. ("...Experienced home school mothers are in a position to deliver these materials for free.)
  • There's hardly any free curriculum available. ("Yet there is only one K-12 mother-created home school curriculum on the Web that is free of charge or very cheap ($200 or less): Old Fashioned Education (free).")
  • There's lots of free curriculum already available. ("There is so much free material online. It is there for the taking.")

Obviously, he does not frequent these boards :D

Didn't ya know?  Women are supposed to do everything for free.  If we start a business it should be free. 

I love that his web site tagline begins with 'wealth-building strategies' while he goes on to recommend that homeschooling mothers spend their own money to make CDs or host websites so they can give their product away for nothing.

Idiot.

Because he probably thinks it's wrong for women to make money vs men.  If women make quilts, recipes etc. it should be free for all yet if they do the same he should get paid for it.  He's  big what what they do not what they say.