Menu

Home School Mothers Lack Self Confidence?

I came across this article today and thought some here may find it interesting.

http://www.garynorth.com/public/7607.cfm

I happen to think he's misinformed. Off the top of my head I can think of Ambleside online as a free curriculum designed by home school moms and there are long threads right here on this forum detailing other free home school curricula.

Another thought that I had is that a lot of moms do develop curricula, however they have enough self confidence to charge for what they have created. :D

It is time for the women who have successfully taken their children through the process to show others how to do it. No more "I'm just not equipped." No more "Woe, woe, woe -- poor helpless me." No more "But I'm so busy." No more "I've done my part with my kids. That's enough for anyone to do." They are all variations of this one: "Some man should do all this -- Khan or Robinson. It's just too much for me."

No more excuses. Excuses do not win wars.

Are you kidding me??

UPDATE on Post #81.

Edited by Cindyz

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Dulcimeramy

I saw this elsewhere today. What ignorance! At this moment, the only programs I'm using that weren't developed by homeschool moms are Horizons math and R&S grammar.

Also, I may be home educating but as far as I know I am not at war with anyone.

I can't help myself, let me list my favorite hs moms who write curriculum:

Jessie Wise

Susan Wise Bauer

Jeannie Fulbright

Ann Voskamp

AmblesideOnline advisory board

Marcia Somerville

Marie Hazell

Robin Sampson

the author of Elemental Science

No, homeschool mothers lack the time. Who do you think is actually homeschooling these kids? Even Robinson did not do a lot of hands-on homeschooling - his program is a self education one more than anything.

:iagree:

I'm full of myself, lol. My time is limited though, and my time management skills are even more limited! Plus, I like to sleep.

No, homeschool mothers lack the time. Who do you think is actually homeschooling these kids? Even Robinson did not do a lot of hands-on homeschooling - his program is a self education one more than anything.

Absolutely. After you've done lessons with your own children for the day, and taken care of your home & family, and possibly performed some manner of outside work as well, then have delivered all of the children to all of their required extra-curriculars.... Who has time to pull together an all-inclusive curriculum? And of those who may find the time, WHY wouldn't they want to be paid for their time?

I saw this elsewhere today. What ignorance! At this moment, the only programs I'm using that weren't developed by homeschool moms are Horizons math and R&S grammar.

Also, I may be home educating but as far as I know I am not at war with anyone.

I can't help myself, let me list my favorite hs moms who write curriculum:

Jessie Wise

Susan Wise Bauer

Jeannie Fulbright

Ann Voskamp

AmblesideOnline advisory board

Marcia Somerville

Marie Hazell

Robin Sampson

the author of Elemental Science

Also Maria Miller's Math Mammoth.

http://www.mathmammoth.com/

I'm a little bit confused about his point. He seems to be saying

• Homeschool moms aren't helping other homeschool moms. ("New home school mothers need guidance..." continued below)

• Homeschool moms should write curriculum for free. ("...Experienced home school mothers are in a position to deliver these materials for free.)

• There's hardly any free curriculum available. ("Yet there is only one K-12 mother-created home school curriculum on the Web that is free of charge or very cheap ($200 or less): Old Fashioned Education (free).")

• There's lots of free curriculum already available. ("There is so much free material online. It is there for the taking.")

Obviously, he does not frequent these boards :D

He needs to come live my life! Seriously, I have worked on a curriculum for teaching basic Christian Theology to children. It was centered around the Apostle's Creed. Homeschooling and 4-h do not leave me enough free time to spend copius amounts of time writing. I am on chapter 8. Well, SWB's curriculum just came out and it is really similar to what I had planned. So HALLELUJAH I am not going to continue the writing. GOD BLESS SWB for getting the job done. One less thing hanging over my head...the denomination can just buy it and stop calling me and wondering if I'm still interested in the project.

I don't lack self-confidence and anyone who knows me, knows that the only area of self-confidence I struggle with is if I have to dress up my post-four baby, gravity has not been kind body to go meet dh's co-workers!

This guy is making some rather HUGE assumptions. Obviously, he's never spent much time looking at a Rainbow Resource Catalog either. He has not spent enough hours walking in the shoes of a dedicated homeschooling parent.

Faith

If homeschool moms lack confidence because they use published curricula, public schools really, really lack confidence! If I weren't confident I could teach my daughter, do you really think I'd do it?

Look, I develop curriculum professionally for early childhood music, and even in my ECED music classes, I start with what has been written already, and tweak, whether I wrote the lesson originally or not. And I suspect the parents of kids in my parent/child classes can't tell whether it was one of my units or one of someone else's, because no two people teach the same lesson the same way anyway.

It's just plain more time-effective not to reinvent the wheel every lesson. My homeschooling is the same way. I don't have a single program where I do it 100% as written, but it's far more cost-effective for me to start out with someone else's work and then modify it to fit my child than to start from scratch.

Oh, and Gary, the reason my curriculum isn't out there for free is simple-I like getting PAID for my work, thank you very much!!

I'm a little bit confused about his point. He seems to be saying

• Homeschool moms aren't helping other homeschool moms. ("New home school mothers need guidance..." continued below)

• Homeschool moms should write curriculum for free. ("...Experienced home school mothers are in a position to deliver these materials for free.)

• There's hardly any free curriculum available. ("Yet there is only one K-12 mother-created home school curriculum on the Web that is free of charge or very cheap ($200 or less): Old Fashioned Education (free).")

• There's lots of free curriculum already available. ("There is so much free material online. It is there for the taking.")

Obviously, he does not frequent these boards :D

And apparently he does not realise that, even if we wrote the curricula for free, it's not free to keep sites updated or to print and ship curricula.

I'm sorry, I do not have time to develop yet another homeschooling curriculum when there are lots out there already, and give it away for free.

Does he think we're all wealthy layabouts or something? People do tend to assume that homeschoolers are well-off, but shouldn't he know better? I mean, I have a job and a house and a church job and a couple hobbies and oh yeah, two kids to educate. I just can't see a need that I can fulfill in a reasonable way.

Edited by dangermom

I'm sorry, I do not have time to develop yet another homeschooling curriculum when there are lots out there already, and give it away for free.

Does he think we're all wealthy layabouts or something? People do tend to assume that homeschoolers are well-off, but shouldn't he know better? I mean, I have a job and a house and a church job and a couple hobbies and oh yeah, two kids to educate.

And many of us are struggling with both the economy AND homeschooling AND homemaking AND health issues AND special needs/accelerated needs/extracurricular needs, etc....

Really, women are supposed to be supermoms, eh?

Yet there is only one K-12 mother-created home school curriculum on the Web that is free of charge or very cheap ($200 or less

Why on earth should a mother give away her time and expertise to people outside her family?

I understand that a few do, and I think they are incredibly kind and generous to the homeschooling community, but the expectation that because it's easy enough to create curriculum that mothers should not only do it, but also give it away is ridiculous.

Edited by Crissy

For goodness sake, where's the eye-roll icon when you need it?

Because we teach our children at home, we somehow owe the homeschooling community a free all-in-one curriculum?

My husband doesn't owe other software developers free software development tools just because he's an experienced developer.

Cat

You know, it's possible that he just doesn't see the "underground" work of us homeschooling moms. Maybe he doesn't realize that we are there for each other. We share resources, encourage, support. We develop co-ops to share teaching skills. We can tell each other about curricula has worked for us. We can tell about the all-encompassing costly materials, about the free downloads of 100 year old books, and about the advantages of each.

What we lack at the beginning is confidence. More curricula is not the answer. We respond with exactly what has been passed on for three decades - assurance. Confidence.

If mothers who have taught these courses to their children do not have the courage, dedication, and vision to post their assignments online, then what will their daughters do? If they want their daughters to home school the grandchildren, why would they expect their daughters to have greater competence, dedication, courage, and vision than they do? If these mothers have not instilled confidence, courage, dedication, and vision in their daughters, then there is a major problem with home schooling.

These mothers have passed this on. That is why homeschooling is still going strong. That is why I am a second-generation homeschooler.

And many of us are struggling with both the economy AND homeschooling AND homemaking AND health issues AND special needs/accelerated needs/extracurricular needs, etc....

Really, women are supposed to be supermoms, eh?

Exactly. I really really appreciate all the wonderful amazing women who have made their stuff available for free-and I can think of some--but I think he has no idea what most of us do. That's not "excuses," that's just how things are.

And I agree that he doesn't know about our 'underground' sharing. :)

First of all, my time goes to teaching and raising my kids and keeping my household running. I don't have time to create a free online program for other people to use!

Second of all, this comment:

If necessary, a mother could let Khan do the hard lifting in math and science. Yet there is no such mother-designed curriculum.

REALLY MADE ME MAD. I was a Chemistry major and a Bio minor. I don't need any man to do the hard lifting in math and science. That is such a generalization about women.

Thirdly, I think this man has too much self confidence. He seems to know (with obviously very little research) exactly how to homeschool and feels obligated to enlighten the rest of us!

Why does the name Gary North ring (a NOT good bell with me)? I looked at the website but can't find who he is, but something tells me I don't want to listen to him.

He's a "Christian Reconstructionist" (a.k.a. theonomist) and writes/speaks in a vein similar to Gary DeMar, Greg Bahnsen and others who have taught and elaborated on the political and theological ideas of Rousas J. Rushdoony.

He obviously has no clues at all about homeschooling moms or curriculum!

Edited by ScoutTN

*eyeroll*

:iagree:

If this man is intending to attach himself to the homeschool movement, I hope he takes a few courses in logic and persuasive writing first. His solution is in need of a problem, he contradicts himself multiple times, and his conclusions are patently ridiculous.

Edited by RanchGirl

"why would they expect their daughters to have greater competence, dedication, courage, and vision than they do"

Well, maybe we think we're giving our daughters a better education than ps gave us? Dunno, just a thought. :rolleyes:

I think this guy has dialect problems. No woman could have written this article because they know "I can't" very frequently means "Naff off! I have enough to do already. I'm BUSY you know! And you OUGHT to know!"

And I just love the "heavy lifting" idea. As if women all suck at the great and noble maths and sciences. As if learning to write is an easy, peasy, wimpy sort of thing that matters less. What a twat.

"They are all variations of this one: "Some man should do all this -- Khan or Robinson. It's just too much for me." "

Actually, I think they are all variations of "if you are so **** lazy that you can't research for yourself, you shouldn't be homeschooling anyway."

My pontificating for the morning...

:tongue_smilie:

Rosie

I e-mailed and linked.

I also explained that I was linking him to a forum based on TWTM, written by a homeschool pioneer and her daughter that also is a home school educator. That in fact TWTM is a book that gives you step by step instructions on how to home educate.

I learnt more in my first 2 hours of research into home schooling than he found in his article. I remember it was only last July. I bet he spent about 30 min researching and now thinks he is an expert!

Nicole

Wow!

I have yet to meet a HS mom who lacks self confidence (online or irl).:001_huh: It takes a certain amount just to jump in the water.

btw - MOST of my curricula is written by women. The blogs I visit to gain wisdom and inspiration (for free :tongue_smilie:) were written by women. This forum is dominated by confident women.

I just put together my own program for next year...yep, I'm THAT confident.:tongue_smilie:

That poor poor man...and his poor poor email box.:auto: