Menu

Peeve: Do your kids dress like summer in the Winter?

this drives me CRAZY!!!!!!!! DD11 will walk around in a tank top but it's because she hates to be hot. She's underweight and I just don't understand how she can stand to dress as she does! When we go outside, though, I make her put on a coat.

My boys are a different story. NEVER wear a coat and ds15 has had pneumonia 6 times now. It drives me CRAZY!!!!!!!!!! He's outside all the time with no coat, only a hat, which he wears inside even on warm days. :banghead:

my youngest is pretty reasonable about it all.

No. the shorts and sleeveless shirts get put away at the end of fall (go into a box on the top shelf in the closet) and the warm sweaters and long sleeve shirts come out of said box.

This not only eliminates the problem, but also makes it easier for the kids to keep their closets tidy since there are fewer things.

Btw, I do the same thing to my clothes: non-seasonal attire resides in a wardrobe in the basement.

Guest RecumbentHeart

Mine did but he didn't complain that it was cold but would rather be trying to justify his choice by claiming he's hot even when it is certainly not hot inside or even warm. He did the same with winter clothes in summer. Again, no relation to our indoor temp. I started putting all the seasonal stuff out of sight.

It's 22 outside right now and the kids wear t shirts and shorts. At night, we put the heat down to 65 after 8:30 or 9 and complain it's too cold!!!! Well if you weren't dressed like it's July we would t be having this discussion. N am I be only one? Sorry to rant!

Yes. My kids seem to generally dislike clothing.

No. the shorts and sleeveless shirts get put away at the end of fall (go into a box on the top shelf in the closet) and the warm sweaters and long sleeve shirts come out of said box.

This not only eliminates the problem, but also makes it easier for the kids to keep their closets tidy since there are fewer things.

Btw, I do the same thing to my clothes: non-seasonal attire resides in a wardrobe in the basement.

:iagree:just weed stuff out as it comes through the wash and put it away til summer. Arguements resolved quietly.

It seems to be a point of pride among kids, at least in the Pacific Northwest. I'll be outside in three layers plus a fleece, and kids stroll past me in t-shirts and sandals. Our YMCA cross-country coach, a high school boy, said he doesn't wear long pants ever, and he'll put on a coat only if the temperature is literally below freezing.

LOL. I hide the shorts, but my guys wear t shirts and no socks year round. It gets down to 0 outside here, and it's 68 in the house. My only rule is that they can't complain about the cold unless they're wearing a sweater and socks. The younger guys are finally getting sweaters on some cold mornings.

And I make them wear socks, shoes or boots and a coat if we're going somewhere. Barefoot in the snow is not out of the question for ds12. He has to wear socks if he goes to friends.

I solve this by putting away out of season clothes. It is more work for me at season change but it alleviates this problem. They do have gym shorts for basketball practice and such but they only wear them for that.

In middle TN we have t-shirt weather at odd times. I was looking through pictures last night and on January 18 of last year my kids are running around in a park in T-shirts. January 22, they are having a snowball fight!!! Its crazy!

My younger two only have access to clothes that are appropriate to the weather but dd runs around in only underwear most of the time anyway.

Oldest dd regularly dresses in tank tops and shorts in the middle of winter. I don't understand it but she says she's not cold. DH also runs around in shorts and t-shirts so maybe its me. Our house is a very drafty 70 degrees.

Dd is finally figuring out that she is cold. When she was little I'd dress her and not have any problems. The last few years she thought she was good to go if she had on a long sleeve T.

It got wicked cold over the weekend. I put her in an undershirt, thermal, shirt and sweatshirt to sleep in since we have refuse to run the furnace. It was like a light bulb moment for her. For the past few days she has had on no fewer than 3 tops.

I wonder if she didn't realize how to be warm.

Dh is worse than the kids. He will be sitting there wearing just a pair of shorts and say "man it's cold" :blink: Really! it's 15* outside. Put on some clothes :glare:

Kids do wear shorts around the house some in the winter and we keep the house pretty cool. I don't say anything but if they say they are cold I just look at them :blink: and say "ya think".

It's 22 outside right now and the kids wear t shirts and shorts. At night, we put the heat down to 65 after 8:30 or 9 and complain it's too cold!!!! Well if you weren't dressed like it's July we would t be having this discussion. N am I be only one? Sorry to rant!

Mine do this and they drive me nuts!!!!!!!! Lately I just tell them to quit whining and put some clothes on :D.

My Dh is hilarious though... he complains of being cold so he turns the heat up (he is wearing a shirt and a sweatshirt) and then when he gets the gas/electric bills he complains of the high bills!!!

No. My children dress like they are schizophrenia and color blind to boot but generally they are warm enough because they layer like nobody's business. :001_smile:

LOL, mine wear wild fashion too. But currently Dd only wears black, but the boys are hilarious at times. But they have fun dressing wacky... until they hit around 11 yrs old and then it is like a fashion lightening strike hit them and they suddenly get clothes picky.

My Dh is color blind and I had to stop him from dressing the kids when they were very little... or I had to lay out the clothes for him.

Now, for him he is pretty safe.... I only buy him clothes that pretty much can mix and match with everything he owns. Only a few don't and he has learned to double check with me before going out in public :lol:.

Oh, my gosh! I was totally going to post this the other day. Everyday my dd insists on prancing around in skirts or summer dresses and complaining all day she is freezing. And then refuses when I tell her to put on tights, socks, sweatshirt, anything. Glad we are not the only ones.

Granted, it's in the 50's around here lately, but DS#1 (7 years old) is always running around in shorts and a t-shirt and barefoot. He's not cold. I told him, "You're old enough to know that if you're cold you put on something warmer." He doesn't complain about the cold. He's also got a metabolism like nobody's business.

My kids are always warm. They complain when the furnace is on.

So while they dress very lightly, they never complain when they are cold. B/c they never seem to be. :lol:

My youngest is still in shorts. People make comments about how their kids would never "get away" with going out "like that" in "this weather."

I just smile and say. "That's why God sent DS to me and not to YOU!" :D

Ummm yeah...I just went out in my jeans, short sleeve t-shirt and flip flops to move my car for the snow plow....its 33 outside and raining freezing rain...My daughter will go outside without a shirt on...and since the rule is something must cover diaper areas she will wear pants but if that was not the rule naked would be the dress for her...ds never wears socks (actually they are put on but very quickly removed)...thank goodness none of them complain about the cold lol. I have gotten comments when we r in public but honestly most places blast their heaters so its 3 mins in cold then 75+ inside wherever and the clothes shedding starts

Yep, dd12 is my worst. She is very tall and thin so she doesn't have much natural insulation. She wears t-shirts most of the winter and is often in capris. We live in the PNW so it gets a chilly 25-45* right now, but is usually above freezing during the day.

This morning I had ice on my car and I would guess it was about 30*. The car hadn't heated it up yet when we left. I was driving her to school she had on only a Tshirt layered with a thin long sleeve shirt and jeans. No jacket or sweatshirt....just thin layers. I have to force her to take a sweatshirt to school for recess in case it is wet/cold so she doesn't have to sit in a wet t-shirt in class. She says she is cold a lot of the time, but doesn't mind it. LOL

LOL, mine wear wild fashion too. But currently Dd only wears black, but the boys are hilarious at times. But they have fun dressing wacky... until they hit around 11 yrs old and then it is like a fashion lightening strike hit them and they suddenly get clothes picky.

My Dh is color blind and I had to stop him from dressing the kids when they were very little... or I had to lay out the clothes for him.

Now, for him he is pretty safe.... I only buy him clothes that pretty much can mix and match with everything he owns. Only a few don't and he has learned to double check with me before going out in public :lol:.

My hubby is red/green color blind. I pick his clothes as well otherwise he would look just as crazy as my kids.