Menu

Should parents apologize when they are in the wrong too?

Good grief, what kind of sicko does that? Yes, IMO, parents are required to apologize when they're in the wrong, just like anyone else. If they want their kids to learn appropriate behavior and humility, they have to model it.

Of course I think the dad should apologize, but he doesn't sound like the kind of guy who will. What a sad thing for their relationship :(

He kicked her cat?! I'm sorry you lost me there. What kind of a person kicks a cat to show his daughter how angry he is?

He doesn't just need to apologize, he needs therapy.

Yes, I apologize to my dc when I've done something wrong. I've told my DH to apologize at times. He does not know how to apologize. He's a "don't talk about it and forget it" type person. I'm trying to bring about a change in that respect.

I firmly believe in mutual respect in all relationships, which in my opinion necessitates apologizing when someone has said or done something inappropriate. Giving and receiving respect has nothing to do with age or status in a relationship. It's part of every healthy relationship.

People should apologize when they have wronged another regardless of their status as parent.

Ideally the wife in this situation can rehome the husband and keep the children and cat.

LOL! That was my suggestion.

I forgot that the first argument between the sisters (that triggered it all) was about the cat.

I've kicked our cats before.

Not on purpose, but when one of those felines gets in just the right place when I'm walking, it tends to look like a kick.:glare: And if someone were upset with me at that moment, it could be reported as a kick. What I'm trying to say is that things aren't always as they appear.

OP, did you see or hear any of this first hand? Is the dh prone to violence of any kind?

It sounds like there might be some background info if she's looking for a another place to live now. Surely this isn't their first altercation.

And, as has been stated on this board many times, an 18yo is an adult. She has the option of apologizing, also. Of course, if she truly believes she was in the right 100%, she might choose not to apologize.

Of course. I can't believe there would even be a "counter" or another side to the question. I can't believe it's a question.

:iagree:

And, kicking a cat???? :ohmy: "A--hole" doesn't even begin describe the person who does that kind of thing. :glare:

I was *stunned* when a friend of mine told me that in the church she grew up in, they taught that parents should never apologize to children (and her dad was the pastor!). Stunned. That seems to be based on the delusion that children are something less than human, and that parents are something greater than human. Both of which are equally wrong, imo. Parents don't get a free pass to avoid basic manners and decency!

I don't think parents always have to apologize. Sometimes it's better to let be. (For example, occasionally my diabolical plan of letting perceived parental injustice to be rather than saying sorry has unite a few siblings against a common grievance. *insert Dr Evil laugh*)

I also think people PURPOSELY kicking cats in fits of anger have bigger issues than learning to say they are sorry.

Sounds like moving out is a good idea.

OP, did you see or hear any of this first hand?

No, I did not see any of it first hand. We are on the other side of the earth right now - otherwise I would take her in. She is a sweet girl who has always been pretty respectful. She is working on her Bachelors degree right now. Never goes out at night, never smokes or drinks or even dates. She does have nice friends and her mom and her say she gets all A's and B's in her classes. She is very, VERY loving with her cat - says it is like her child.

Thank you for all your replies. This has been very heavy on my heart as it just makes no sense to me.

I was *stunned* when a friend of mine told me that in the church she grew up in, they taught that parents should never apologize to children (and her dad was the pastor!). Stunned. That seems to be based on the delusion that children are something less than human, and that parents are something greater than human. Both of which are equally wrong, imo. Parents don't get a free pass to avoid basic manners and decency!

IME, limited as it is, it usually comes from an authoritarian/chain of command POV or style of parenting. Not a lesser/greater human worth POV.

I wouldn't say parents should never apologize. Never say never being the basis of that opinion. I just don't think they should necessarily ALWAYS have to do it either.

He kicked her cat?! I'm sorry you lost me there. What kind of a person kicks a cat to show his daughter how angry he is?

Yes. If it was an intentional kick, that's abuse and she needs to get the heck out of dodge before she's his next target.

As for the original question, yes I absolutely apologize to my kids. I believe a lot of parenting is done simply by example. Plus, I WANT my kids to know I'm not perfect. I think it makes me more approachable as a parent if I'm willing to admit to my mistakes and try to rectify them.

Yes, I apologize to my dc when I've done something wrong. I've told my DH to apologize at times. He does not know how to apologize. He's a "don't talk about it and forget it" type person. I'm trying to bring about a change in that respect.

:iagree: I also hope that poor girl finds somewhere else to live away from someone with that kind of anger. Disgusting man!!!

Absolutely the adult should apologise. How do I show my children the right way to act if I do not extend that same common courtesy to them?

I can't even count how many times I have apologized to my kids, and they are still little girls. A sincere and heartfelt apology goes a very long way.

I have to say that if my husband ever kicked one of our animals, mad or not, I would knock him on the head with a heavy object, something like a cast iron frying pan. And I am not even joking. I don't tolerate animal abuse at all.

Of course. I can't believe there would even be a "counter" or another side to the question. I can't believe it's a question.

Why isn't someone more concerned with the VIOLENCE in the home?!?!?

If he thinks it is okay to ASSAULT AN ANIMAL to 'demonstrate' that her raising her voice was wrong?!?!??!?!

Words fail me. He needs help and a LOT of it. And she probably does, too, from having to live with someone like that.

Ohmyword. :001_huh:

ETA: Of course I've apologized to my kids. I'm not perfect!

Edited by ThatCyndiGirl

Why isn't someone more concerned with the VIOLENCE in the home?!?!?QUOTE]

I suggested the husband be rehomed because the willingness to resort to violence seldom bodes well.

Yeah,I read the rest of the thread AFTER I posted. I liked your suggestion. :lol: I can see the ad on Craigslist now!

One human male. Can be loving, but does not get along well with teenage girls. Has been known to kick when angry. Comes with his own pillow and blanket and a few toys. Can include small container of food. Small rehoming fee offered to take this guy off of our hands.

Edited by ThatCyndiGirl

If he thinks it is okay to ASSAULT AN ANIMAL to 'demonstrate' that her raising her voice was wrong?!?!??!?!

Words fail me. He needs help and a LOT of it. And she probably does, too, from having to live with someone like that.

For real! AWFUL!!

IME, limited as it is, it usually comes from an authoritarian/chain of command POV or style of parenting. Not a lesser/greater human worth POV.

I think the subtlety of the distinction you are making is beyond my ability to comprehend. :001_smile: The belief in her church was that children are highly sinful, manipulative, etc. and it was the responsibility of the parents, who are further along in their walk with God, to set them straight. Isn't an authoritarian view based on one person or group of people being more worthy, better, than another?

I wouldn't say parents should never apologize. Never say never being the basis of that opinion. I just don't think they should necessarily ALWAYS have to do it either.

This I get.

KICKED HER CAT???????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

To express his frustration with her?

:ohmy::confused1::eek::ack2:

Ummm. I think that person needs some serious professional help. Truly. Sounds like a dangerous situation on a lot of levels. Acutally, sounds abusive. Not just to the cat. Very scary to me.

Honestly, I would probably involve CPS if the dad wasn't willing to enter serious therapy immediately. I'd make sure to have long regular talks with the children if I wasn't turning it over to CPS.

An apology is in order. But, it should be accompanied with a promise to complete therapy and a lot of grovelling. Whoa.

I can't be of more help b/c I need to go vomit. Or bang my head on a wall. Or something like that.

:leaving:

The belief in her church I am catholic. Fairly certain she either isn't or is an ignorant one.

Isn't an authoritarian view based on one person or group of people being more worthy, better, than another?

No. It is based on just authority to guide and to rule, not domination. My dh has just authority over the work of his employees. His boss has just authority over my dh's work. This line of authority is seen in all areas of life. Work, family, even recreation (a coach over players for example and even further a team captain and so forth). Yet most coaches would not feel that their players have less worth as humans. In fact, good coaches see and cultivate the tremendous worth of their players.

Side note. I am not even a bit into sports. Dh is going to be so proud I used a sports analogy.:)

Oh my, is this just me is this wrong on various levels? Surely there are time when a parent should apologize. But it sounds to me like there are some major issues in this family. Wives who want to honor their husbands don't seek comfort from people via facebook (even people they are family - it's not about FB). I tend to think that to be willing to talk about him this way, one would be halfway to divorce already, and then I would be suspicious about her motives for wanting to make him look bad.

I have two sisters whom I am pretty close to. I would not be telling this story to either of them under any circumstances I can imagine. I would be telling my DH he needs counseling if I thought it were that bad, and kicking a cat seems pretty bad to me, if it's true. But unless I were seeking support because I needed to get out of the marriage, I would not be doing this to my husband.

I bet that he has his own story to tell, and I hope he's not a creep enough to tell his friends and relatives on facebook about his daughter's (step-daughter') worse moments or his bad marital moments either.

My DH is a really sweet, shepherding personality, and a very upright man who tries to do what is right. But honestly, at 18 there were times when my son could push all of his buttons at once. Hard.

I'm not sure I would want to be judging this situations, because I bet it's more complicated that it sounds. I'm not saying that I think kicking a cat isn't bad. I just think she needs to hire a professional and work with her husband or work on whether she wants to be with him, not display her dirty laundry for her friends or family to inspect.

Edited by Danestress

Oh my, is this just me is this wrong on various levels? Surely there are time when a parent should apologize. But it sounds to me like there are some major issues in this family. Wives who want to honor their husbands don't seek comfort from people via facebook (even people they are family - it's not about FB). I tend to think that to be willing to talk about him this way, one would be halfway to divorce already, and then I would be suspicious about her motives for wanting to make him look bad.

I have two sisters whom I am pretty close to. I would not be telling this story to either of them under any circumstances I can imagine. I would be telling my DH he needs counseling if I thought it were that bad, and kicking a cat seems pretty bad to me, if it's true. But unless I were seeking support because I needed to get out of the marriage, I would not be doing this to my husband.

I bet that he has his own story to tell, and I hope he's not a creep enough to tell his friends and relatives on facebook about his daughter's (step-daughter') worse moments or his bad marital moments either.

My DH is a really sweet, shepherding personality, and a very upright man who tries to do what is right. But honestly, at 18 there were times when my son could push all of his buttons at once. Hard.

I'm not sure I would want to be judging this situations, because I bet it's more complicated that it sounds. I'm not saying that I think kicking a cat isn't bad. I just think she needs to hire a professional and work with her husband or work on whether she wants to be with him, not display her dirty laundry for her friends or family to inspect.

Yeah - she would be better to go complain about kicking the cat on a message board where no one knows her or her dh in real life.;)

As for wives who want to honor their dh's not talking to other people - you have never complained about something your dh did to another person? Wow. You are a way better wife than I am. Sometimes I just get all in a tizzy and fuss about my dh to a good friend. If I had a sister, I would fuss to her, too, if we were close. I imagine that dh does it about me sometimes, too. It doesn't mean we are halfway to divorce at all - just that we are human and sometimes seek people to side with us.;)

I always compare a home where "people don't air the family's dirty laundry" as an abusive home. I always saw that as a big red flag that something was just not right because someone wanted to cover it up or didn't want others to know they were less than perfect. You have given me a new perspective.

I am concerned with the violence (and that comes through many of my posts over the years). It just seemed that the violence was addressed often in the thread, so I just answered the opening question.

He snores. He leave his smelly workout clothes on the closet floor. He plays with his I-pad when I want his attention.

I would not feel at all free to reveal a major failing like this one unless I were also willing to seek counseling and ask him to do the same. And I would TELL him, "I just really need to process this and I am going to talk to my sister about it." But you are right that in an abusive relationship, the desire to protect a spouse can become dangerous. If his relative is being abused, then she does need to reach out, but like I said, she's probably half way to divorce in that case, and even then, I think one has to be cautious and that a professional is probably better than a friend or even my sister.

I also don't do it to my adult son - or try not to. Or my teen boys either. I just think that needing to "share" about how much of a jerk your son was makes your son look bad to others, and then they will remember that. It poisons the well. And they will judge him for it. Honestly, I did learn that the hard way. I really regret telling family when my son had some really bad moments. It feels good to share and to get "support" but in the long run, I am not sure it's good for a family. And on some level, it seems selfish - like my need to complain to my friends about how my son was a jerk trumps his right to not be talked about and put in a negative light without being part of the process.

Absolutely. But I think anyone who would kick a cat to make a point has some pretty big issues he needs to be dealing with.

I don't apologize over every little thing, but all my children have received truly penitent apologies from this mom. As humans, they deserved them. As a human, I needed to.

:iagree:

People should apologize when they have wronged another regardless of their status as parent.

Ideally the wife in this situation can rehome the husband and keep the children and cat.

:iagree::lol: