Menu

What words really get under your skin?

"curriculum."

Yes, it really bugs me, I guess because so many hsers misuse it, but still, just *saying* it bugs me: cur--rik-yoo-lum. Blech.

And all the others. :D Although I have been known to say "my bad" on ocassion, just because it's funny (I would never say it in a serious context, KWIM?), and I have definitely told someone "It is what it is" when I was tired of arguing with her about something that could not be changed.

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I cannot believe no one mentioned my favorite hated word:

SUCK or SUCKS. :glare:

I will not, cannot use that word. And if my kids do....well, let's just say they know better than to use it.

Also BUTT.:blink: We call it a bottom around these parts (no pun intended).

I tell my kids that using bad language makes them ugly.

Frack - and all variations of it.

Worst. Sound. Ever. I will not recognize it as a word. It makes me angry just seeing it, and I would rather be repeatedly punched in the ear than hear it. I really wanted to watch Battlestar Galactica, but could not take the chance of hearing the sound. Just sayin:tongue_smilie:

Also, creamy. Ew. And I have no idea why.

Va-jay-jay is playful, VAGINA is just horrid. I HATE that we get that word!

Well, the word they get is no walk in the park, either. 'penis' sounds like some sort of industrial vehicle. "The boss said we had to drive the penis over to the quarry". :001_huh:

I don't like 'invite' used as a noun. "Check the invite. What does the invite say? Did you get the invites sent out?" ick. Can we not use the word 'invitation'? Is that too much to ask?

"dropped the ball" and "thrown under the bus" I hate those two expressions. They've been used to death and I always feel like I'm going to fly to pieces when I hear someone say it, YET AGAIN!.

I have negative feelings about certain words and phrases from my corporate days. The first time I heard someone say, "He totally through me under the bus!", I said, "WHAT?!?!?"

I also have issues with

-robust (as in "This situation requires a robust response.")

-vis a vis (my former boss tried to fit this phrase into every conversation as much as possible)

-quite frankly (another big boss favorite. He opened every sentence with "Quite frankly..." when he wasn't being frank at all. :tongue_smilie:)

-seriously, actually, truthfully, honestly (this drives me crazy. So you're saying that normally you're not serious or honest with me?)

And finally the word durable. I had a manager who used this word as an adjective to describe himself frequently, as in "I'm durable." Really?:confused: When he first started saying it, I thought he said, "I'm adorable." I don't know if that was more or less disturbing.

Edited by fairytalemama
clarification

I have a lot of words or sayings that bother me. Why? Because dh and child number #2 have a truly annoying habit and they know it annoys me and do it anyway. They both have good aural memories and pick up idiot words or phrases they think are sufficiently annoying and repeat them a lot. I guess a lot of times they aren't doing it consciously at first but once they see me annoyed, oh boy. So current issues I can easily think of are:

for reals

actuality

My dd also does it's a dog, MOm, did you know it's a dog, he is a dog, etc. etc. It only happens at certain hours and only if I am around her at that time.

Other people=

I dislike Babymomma and friends with benefits

"Preggers" doesn't really bother me but it reminds me that I don't like:

"WE'RE pregnant."

No. There is no WE in pregnant. Only ONE of us is pregnant, and it's the female one of us. :P

:lol:

I thought I was the only person this bothered. I told my husband when we were expecting our first that he'd better not EVER say that. He still makes fun of me for being so irritates by it. :tongue_smilie:

enhance

utilize

"tenant" for tenet

supposably

I've had a relative visiting for two weeks who does this, so I'll include my weird peeve about people who are unable to say two consonants together in the middle of a word, so double the first one and skip the last:

reckonnize
for recognize

avvertise
for advertise

Wahgreens
for Walgreens

Wahmart
for WalMart

avvocate
for advocate

scup-shure
for sculpture (this person's internal linguistic rules must get completely overwhelmed by three contiguous consonants)

asso
for also

vayyue
for value

and on and on and on until I'm quite certain the universe wishes me nothing but ill.

Like...'lie-berry' instead of library? :D

Mucus.....in any of its variants. It's just to slimy for me to handle!

Ignernt......not to be confused with ignorant.....in fact ignernt is an amazing word that can be used for every part of speech. Just ask a friend of mine who uses it in every conversation she can.

Douche Bag- And all the other really classy terms used to put down other people. OH that drives me crazy!!!! My grown sister still uses such phrases and she can not understand why it makes my skin crawl. In fact I have to get off the phone with her when she starts using them.

I can't stand the word "panties" either. Can barely type it. :p

How about "tee-tee"? That has been used left and right here in the hospital the last two weeks. She peed ok? peed! Or urinated, or wet even, but 'tee-tee'? And it's always said in a sort of condescending tone. People using that term when speaking to parents, like we're idiots or something.

I confess though, I'm guilty of duude, really and probably a handful of others mentioned, I'm sorry, please don't hate me.

Oh, yes, preggers and preggo get under my skin too.

I've never liked 'slacks' or 'blouse' either, but they don't hit me the same as the others mentioned.

Many of the ones that have been said plus:

In love. I'm doing/saying this in love. I think the example should be, "I'm only stabbing you in the back/being a complete b*tch in love.

strategize - My dh once called me from work and told me he wanted to strategize with me that night. I asked him to just tell me he wanted to talk next time.

Burger King - After 3 bouts of food poisoning from Burger King my stomach clenches at the name.

Schedule/Organize - I get hives thinking about these two words.

Budget meeting - I'd rather go to the dentist.

Kelly

Panty (especially when used by a sales lady at the lingerie department -- as in, "this panty goes with..." or "here's a really great panty"). Gag!

When referring to food:

Sensuous

Sumptuous

Other words:

Elegant

"It's the new..."

Old school

Yummo (a la Rachel Ray)

Sammy (a la Rachel Ray shortening sandwich)

Lady (in cheesy 1970's love songs - the woman the singer is describing is rarely a "Lady"!)

When someone pronounces "coupon" as COO-pon.

Menstruate (sorry, but I just HATE that word!)

Puberty when pronounced POO-bur-tee

This is a great week. I realized I'm not the only person with an aversion to "moist", and there's a biological reason why I think cilantro tastes like soap.

Other yucky words:

"Campy"... don't know why.

"Boyfriend" and "girlfriend", mostly when used by anyone old enough to have children with a boyfriend or girlfriend. Squicks me out when FIL says "girlfriend". You're too old to have a girlfriend, you have a woman you're seeing. She's not a teenager!

The "n-word" without the "r" on the end as a term of endearment toward their friends. I know someone that "shouts out" to her friends on facebook saying, "I love you n****!". Repulsive, and it also makes my skin crawl (she has been blocked).

I'll admit that I use "d-bag" (just like that, I don't say d*uche) to lovingly refer to the driving impaired, meaning those that cut me off on the interstate or drive the WRONG WAY in the roundabout. My kids are getting older, so I really need to stop saying that.

When referring to food:

Sensuous

Sumptuous

Other words:

Elegant

"It's the new..."

Old school

Yummo (a la Rachel Ray)

Sammy (a la Rachel Ray shortening sandwich)

Lady (in cheesy 1970's love songs - the woman the singer is describing is rarely a "Lady"!)

When someone pronounces "coupon" as COO-pon.

Menstruate (sorry, but I just HATE that word!)

Puberty when pronounced POO-bur-tee

Elegant? That's kind of out there. :tongue_smilie:

Panties. :ack2::ack2:

"Like" is bad, but I'm, like, still working on eradicating that one completely.

Also "wieners." Eww. Call them hotdogs, please! And speaking of food, subs should never be called "blimpies" or "hoagies." Sounds so much like what it does to your figure.

No, because subs are grinders. This is what they are called where I grew up in NH.:D

None, I'm afraid. I think our language is wonderfully diverse and ever-changing and I love to see how words change over time. Barnes and Noble had in stock some archaic dictionaries a while back and I wanted to buy them all, LOL!

This is me. As long as the grammar is not completely disregarded I don't care. I don't like certain words and don't use them but just because someone uses a phrase or word doesn't drive me crazy. I don't cuss but get that to some people it's just a word. I do NOT like any words that are disrespectful or hurtful to another sex, race or religion.

I will say the internet shorts do bug me so I just don't use them. I don't judge those that do. I just don't understand the point. (dh, dd, ds, dss, bff, etc) However, I do think the "LOL" is cute. Hypocrite that I am! LOL! :lol:

I hate to throw out a favorite word of homeschoolers, but I have really come to despise the word "voracious".

Because if your kid likes to read even slightly more than the average kid, well then they are a "voracious reader!!" Gag. I tolerate it, but it's so overused it's almost a cliche.

Mine will show my age. "Chick" when referring to a woman. Chicks are baby birds.

Every time someone refers to a woman as a "chick," I see the 1970s poster of a chick (baby chicken), a tomato (nice ripe red fruit), a babe (a human baby), a fox (red fox), a doll (Barbie), and a woman. Each picture was labeled - this is a chick, ... and THIS IS A WOMAN.

While I realize that posting this may result in angry WTM villagers chasing me with torch and pitchfork, but I cringe every time I read "accomplishate".

:D *my bad

My words:

Axed instead of asked

rent house instead of you own a rental property or house that your rent

panties

shorts for describing underwear

*my bad, outlived its purpose

"pregnant for (insert child's name)", unless you are a surrogate mother you are not pregnant for anyone but yourself.

"It is what it is"

Is this just a new, trendy way to end a conversation or change the subject? It DRIVES. ME. CRAZY!

I have used that phrase a lot in the second half of this year because it's better than expressing my actual feelings about the horrible economy, job market, etc. A person can either dwell on the negativity or accept that bad things happened & can't be changed.

It isn't so much the words, but the mispronunciation that dh does on purpose thinking it is cool. Mayonnaise with an "r" in it. There is one, I can't remember right off, that he slaps a "t" on the end.

The mispronunciation in the general populace of regardless. There is really no "ir" at the beginning of that word. Saying it as "irregardless" changes the meaning of the word and generally makes the sentence which has the mispronounced word in it make no sense.

As to the OP, real words the make me crazy are the five letter slang word that can mean a cat or a specific female body part and the term "lube job."

It's been 2 days and, for the life of me, I cannot imagine where one might put an R in the word mayonaisse. I MUST know.

Here are mine:

Un- in any word that does not use it to form a negative. You cannot just throw an un- on any word you like.

"...for some reason." If you have no idea why you think or do something, and especially if you use it all the time, meaning you have NO idea why you think or do anything, you are an idiot. Please do not advertise it.

"It needs picked up." It needs TO BE picked up. Those little words in the middle are NOT optional.