Menu

DD and I were in a Line of Love today

The funeral for Elizabeth Edwards was today. The Westboro Baptist "Church" showed up with their picket signs of hate. I have seen pictures of them on TV and the internet of course, but something about seeing them in person makes it even more revolting. There about 5 of them -3 adults and 2 kids. One of the adults was Shirley Phelps. I will probably be up half the night praying for those children.

DD (11.5) and I went down to be in the line of love that stops them from being too close to the funeral. We stayed on the back a bit so that she could not directly seen their signs. I had prepped her for the ugliness but since we were able to get in a position that could shelter her, I took advantage of it. I did see them and their signs. It still burns me up.

DD and I took a sign with John 13: 34-35 written on it. We also took donuts and hot chocolate to pass out to the crowd. It was cold and rainy. We gave away our bottled water to a mother who was there and had forgotten the water to mix her formula for her baby. We chatted with many folks, most non-Christian and got to share our faith to some (when asked -we didn't yell).

Some of the anti-Westboro people were almost as ugly in return but they mostly stayed on the opposite corner as us.

I think most people were shocked when they stopped to talk to us and found out we were tea-partying, homeschooling, conservative Christians. There were a few other right-wingers there so I wasn't totally alone. However, I just explained right is right and I really can't stand silently by and let some crazies misrepresent my faith. They may have the right but that don't make it right. Whether or not I agree with a person or their lifestyle or whatever, I feel their loved ones should be able to mourn in peace. I would have done it for a soldier, a gay person, Glenn Beck, etc. I would hope that most of the others there would have done the same.

I may have been on another political spectrum than Elizabeth Edwards but I honestly can't say anything negative about her character. I always thought she was classy in regards to John's affair, etc. It always broke my heart that she had to not only deal with a cheating husband, but had to deal with it in the public eye.

I hemmed and hawed over whether DD was mature enough but outreach is her gift. The doughnuts and coffee were idea. We have discussed the group before but we still spent the night before discussing the group, our beliefs, why I felt compelled to do this, etc. We spent the morning in prayer. It turned out to be a good experience for her.

I just saw you all on the TV. They had a sign that says Don't Worship The Dead. Hello? People have been paying their respects for hundreds of years. Why is it all of a sudden 'wrong'? That one totally puzzles me. Do they not have funerals? urgh These people are sooo disrespectful. And NOT Christian.

Cin -I didn't see that sign but they had:

Elizabeth in Hell

Something about eating your own babies (referencing Deuteronomy 28:53 but out of context)

Thank God for Breast Cancer.

God hates (insert disgusting hate word for homosexuals that I just can't say)

I saw those and then thought about Phillipians 4:8 and decided not to let my brain focus on anymore of the negative and instead focus on outpouring my love.

I'm afraid I don't understand why on earth they would show up at her funeral? I'm confused....

They are media-junkies. They picket any and everything that will give them attention. They picketed Coretta Scott King, Jerry Falwell, many soldiers, policeman, and even people who just happened to die in a flood.

Their reasoning for picketing Elizabeth Edwards funeral was on their website. Bascially, she supported gay marriage and she defied God by having two more children after God punished her by taking her first child (who died in 1996 in a car wreck) and because she wrestled with her faith after his death. However, IMHO, it is because she is big name that garnered a lot of media.

I have many thoughts, none of them benevolent, about the Westboro people and it's disgusting to me that they identify themselves with Christianity as they are the epitome of the polar opposite of Jesus.

To the OP, thank you for doing that today. You are and your dd are two of my new heroes!

I think praying for the children of these monsters is an excellent idea. They will be like many of the children of extremist groups...brainwashed.

Faith

Elizabeth in Hell

Something about eating your own babies (referencing Deuteronomy 28:53 but out of context)

I saw those and then thought about Phillipians 4:8 and decided not to let my brain focus on anymore of the negative and instead focus on outpouring my love.

Can someone explain to me why these "church people" referencing something out of Deuteronomy at Ms. Edwards' funeral?

I am completely in the dark and we don't get cable so anything that happened in NC will not be likely to be on our evening news.

:hurray:

I did not agree with Elizabeth Edwards politically in many areas but she was a wonderful mother who handled herself with class and dignity in very trying circumstances. It upset me greatly that the Westboro 'church' was up to their usual mess and I wished I were closer so I could join the line today.

Thank you for being there from those of us who couldn't be.

They are media-junkies. They picket any and everything that will give them attention. They picketed Coretta Scott King, Jerry Falwell, many soldiers, policeman, and even people who just happened to die in a flood.

Their reasoning for picketing Elizabeth Edwards funeral was on their website. Bascially, she supported gay marriage and she defied God by having two more children after God punished her by taking her first child (who died in 1996 in a car wreck) and because she wrestled with her faith after his death. However, IMHO, it is because she is big name that garnered a lot of media.

Thanks for explaining. Disregard my plea for explanation in my other post. Unbelievable! These people are a disgrace to all believers!

Thanks for explaining. Disregard my plea for explanation in my other post. Unbelievable! These people are a disgrace to all believers!

Actually, I think they are just a disgrace to humanity. IMO, they don't represent the Baptist denomination, xianity, or anything other than money, greed, control, power and hate.

Someone posted an article on here recently about them in which a blogger posits that they are not really religious in nature at all and that their only goal is to make money off of frivolous lawsuits. (He made a good point about how they say things right to a person's face about A GROUP OF PEOPLE, but not about that person in particular, something about how they know (because they are mostly lawyers) that saying someone TO SOMEONE can be considered harassment, but saying a more vague statement ("Americans will burn in hell for_______whatever they say") is not considered harassment or something like that. Does anybody remember that link?

Elizabeth in Hell

They say this until it hits THEIR family. :ohmy:

You and your dd did a wonderful thing, and it's the kind of thing that she will never forget.

I can't understand how some people can be so cruel. Those horrible signs and awful people are offensive on any day of the week, but to show up at a person's funeral is beyond disgusting.

Cat

Thanks for doing this counter-protest in such a loving and kind way. Although their actions totally disgust me, I hope one day they come to realize that they've been brainwashed (but still have to take responsibility). I can't imagine their pain when they stand before Jesus Christ and find out what he really wanted them to be doing with all that passion.

I'm afraid I don't understand why on earth they would show up at her funeral? I'm confused....

They show up at K State graduation every year. :confused:

Really?

There's a special place in hell for people who are that evil. I'm fairly certain they've never stopped to consider at all what Jesus actually did in his life.

From one tea-partying conservative Christian to another, I'm glad you were able to go.

I can't even feel anger at the WBC anymore. They are brainwashed and broken people and it breaks my heart. Phelps is a monster who rules his family through fear and physical violence. One of his sons (now an atheist) who broke away has a website here- http://www.natephelps.com and talks about the abuse his puts his "followers" through.

They do like to sue, but they aren't out for money. Phelps really believes what he's saying, and that's scary. And it wouldn't be different if it was one of their family- Phelps would say it was proof they had sinned and were being punished by God. He does not show mercy to his family.

I wish the counter protesters really would stay a "line of love" and not resort to their kind of tactics (I watched a documentary on them once where people were throwing things at the Phelps' small children!) I understand the anger and revulsion they stir up, but it's so important, imo, to try to respond with love (or at least silent vigil if you can't muster up love!)

God Bless you and all who went! I'm also on the total opposite political spectrum, but Elizabeth Edwards always seemed like a very decent, kind person. May she rest in peace.

I'd love to hear how they explain her ability to have children that God didn't gift her with? :confused:

This "church" is really a bunch of loons. I'm another conservative and Christian who applauds the Line of Love idea.

I have many thoughts, none of them benevolent, about the Westboro people and it's disgusting to me that they identify themselves with Christianity as they are the epitome of the polar opposite of Jesus.

To the OP, thank you for doing that today. You are and your dd are two of my new heroes!

I think praying for the children of these monsters is an excellent idea. They will be like many of the children of extremist groups...brainwashed.

Faith

:iagree:

another Faithe

From one tea-partying conservative Christian to another, I'm glad you were able to go.

I can't even feel anger at the WBC anymore. They are brainwashed and broken people and it breaks my heart. Phelps is a monster who rules his family through fear and physical violence. One of his sons (now an atheist) who broke away has a website here- www.natephelps.com and talks about the abuse his puts his "followers" through.

They do like to sue, but they aren't out for money. Phelps really believes what he's saying, and that's scary. And it wouldn't be different if it was one of their family- Phelps would say it was proof they had sinned and were being punished by God. He does not show mercy to his family.

I wish the counter protesters really would stay a "line of love" and not resort to their kind of tactics (I watched a documentary on them once where people were throwing things at the Phelps' small children!) I understand the anger and revulsion they stir up, but it's so important, imo, to try to respond with love (or at least silent vigil if you can't muster up love!)

God Bless you and all who went! I'm also on the total opposite political spectrum, but Elizabeth Edwards always seemed like a very decent, kind person. May she rest in peace.

I have read about how he raised his children and all his other bullying tactics. Four of his thirteen children have escaped his grasp. Three others tried but were not strong enough. I have been praying for this family all day. My heart breaks for them. I just can't imagine living with such constant hatred in my life. I hope that when Fred dies, the rest can finally escape his grasp.

I agree. There were a couple of bad counter protesters - a few chants -not necessarily "bad" but not what I would call classy or loving, someone threw something but I could not see what -it looked like a deflated balloon but may have been a giant condom so I didn't want to investigate, and a couple of signs that I didn't think were kindly and I thought were the kind of reaction this group seeks. This of course led to more discussions with DD and several other protesters,