Menu

What books are you giving your kids for Christmas?

Usually on Christmas eve, my kids open two presents -- PJs and a book. ... I'll make them some cute PJs, but I haven't decided on books yet. I may look for a nice edition of Sherlock Holmes stories for one of them...

So I wondered what books all of you are giving your kids this year? Maybe I can steal some ideas! ;)

Some random books I found at our used bookstore:

Finn Family Moomintroll (which I heard of here)

Peter Pan (the original)

How to Train Your Dragon (we have to read the book before we see the movie)

Warriors by Erin Hunter (we got a kitten this summer--seems like it would be fun)

Youngest's birthday is a few days after Christmas. Found a Complete Book of the Flower Fairies by Cicely Mary Barker that I think she will like. The girls are getting kits to make little fairies for Christmas, and the pictures in this book are so beautiful--I think it will give dds more ideas on how to create their own fairies.

Santa brings a basket with books, a movie and a game and leaves it on the hearth.

Books:

The Boy Who Drew Birds and a bird coloring book

A Year Down Yonder (Richard Peck)

The Far Side of the Mountain (Jean Craighead George)

The Story of Dr. Dolittle

Invention Book (Steven Caney)

A book of mazes

Individual gifts: My dd is getting a book on drawing wolves, coyotes and foxes. My ds is getting a book from the Warriors series.

Cat

I haven't decided what book to get dd. Ds, on the other hand, has only asked for one thing for Christmas: "Mighty Maddie." It's his favorite book at the library. I have no idea why, but at least it teaches something (weight).

http://www.amazon.com/Mighty-Maddie-MathStart-Stuart-Murphy/dp/0060531614/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1290979145&sr=1-1

DD6: The Giving Tree, Now We Are Six, first 4 books of the Ramona series

Dnephew11: The Brooklyn Nine, Treasure Island

Dnephew8 (not a good reader): 2 of the Matt Christopher's sports series

Dniece8: I'm waffling here - I originally picked up The Secret Garden, but now I see the lexile might be too high, probably will go back and get Harriet the Spy

Ds is reading Sherlock Holmes this year and I got him a nice annotated version. I highly recommend it. It's pricy--they're 3 volumes (2 are short stories and sold together, with a separate volume for the novels), hardback. But the annotations give a lot of really useful historical information. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

Ds's bookcase is currently full of fiction he hasn't read yet (I stocked up a couple of months ago), so book-wise I will probably get him some Merit Badge books and he wants a good book on whittling. I will ask one of the relatives to get him the newest Wimpy Kid book.

For DD6 - Amber: The Orange Fairy

For DS4 - Ricky Ricotta's Mighty Robot Vs. The Jurassic Jackrabbits From Jupiter

For DS2 - The Very Busy Spider (board book)

How to Train Your Dragon (we have to read the book before we see the movie)

I read this over the summer, before seeing the movie. The book was just okay. The movie was completely wonderful. Sometimes changes from book to movie are a very good thing!!

DS 15 is getting the first three King Arthur books by Bernard Cornwall. (His honors Brit Lit teacher got him hooked on Cornwall.) DS 9 is getting The Lord of the Rings trilogy. DD5 is getting the complete set of Little House books. I don't know about DS3 yet. So far he is getting a race car counting book.

DD6 is having reading troubles and not reading well yet....but I can't wait to be able to buy her books for Christmas! Right now I only purchase a few books for Christmas, but they are ones with lots of pictures for her to look at. She loves the Marley books so I got her a few of those.

The youngest would like the newest Wimpy Kids Book

the 14 year old is currently reading Harry Potter which we own but she would like books from a series called The Land of Elyon

The 17 year old - I don't really know. She does have a list though.

The 18 year old wants Memoirs of a Geisha

The 19 year old want the newest Stephen King

The newest SIL - no idea

The 25 year old wants the HPs that she is missing, #2 & #4

The 27 year old probably something about languages or the Bible

My son has a list and his SO likes Rick Riodan books. She has the Percy Jackson series so probably one of the newer ones.

I haven't decided about gs yet. He already has most of the classic board books and is not quite ready for books with paper pages yet.

The new Percy Jackson book is really good, I'm sure that will go over well for those who are getting it.

My boys are getting some miscellanous easy readers, Magic Tree House, some Dr. Seuess. My older son is getting the Jungle Book, Wizard of Oz and a book on John Muir. I'm sure there will be more before CHristmas gets here too.

DD8 is getting Bug Zoo (thank you to whoever recommended this!) and a book on Praying Mantises, as part of a theme present that also includes an incredibly cute stuffed toy mantis and a DVD (Bugs: A Rainforest Adventure).

DS12 is getting several books on classical warfare, a Spartan lego minifig, and a Greek Hoplite collectible figure in one "batch," and several books on paleontology with a few Schleich dino models in another.

DH is getting History of the World in Six Glasses, Insultingly Stupid Movie Physics, Laika (graphic novel about the Russian space program), The Gun (history of the Kalashnikov rifle, written by the Pulitzer-winning hubby of a WTMer!), and an obscure book on Medieval horse armor.

Jackie

Not sure they'll get quite All of these, but they'll get most...

dd (age 8)

Freddy Anniversary Collection

The Night Fairy

Wishing for Tomorrow

Jonathan Swift's Gulliver

The Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place

ds (age 12)

The Cabinet of Wonders

Don Quixote

The Trouble Begins at 8

Plus they'll both get some history related books, but these are the "fun" ones!

Edited by Melora in NC
forgot one!

We buy books year-round, so for Christmas, I only buy "fun books" for my ds. This year, he wants the 2011 Guinness Book of World Records, as well as several strategy guide books for his video games. (I hate buying those guides -- sometimes they cost almost as much as the games -- but ds gets a lot of use out of them, so I bite the bullet and buy them anyway.)

Cat

My 7yo is getting the How to Train Your Dragon box set. He has already read the first four, but our library does not carry the rest of the series. My 10yo is getting a number of the 2:52 books he requested:

Bible Wars and Weapons

Bible Geeks and Freaks

Big Bad Bible Giants

Bible Heroes and Bad Guys

Creepy Creatures and Bizarre Beasts from the Bible

My 7yo also asked for a new Bible, and my 10 yo requested a couple of boys' survival books, which my mom is getting for them.

Krista

Not sure they'll get quite All of these, but they'll get most...

dd (age 8)

Freddy Anniversary Collection

The Night Fairy

Wishing for Tomorrow

Jonathan Swift's Gulliver

The Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place

ds (age 12)

The Cabinet of Wonders

Don Quixote

The Trouble Begins at 8

Plus they'll both get some history related books, but these are the "fun" ones!

The Night Fairy holds a special place in my heart. And dd7's. It was a wonderful surprise for us. I highly recommend you read it out loud. :001_smile:

We give books at birthdays - and I might buy some araound Christmas time - but we don't give them as Christmas gifts (for shame!!)

But - would your daughter be interested in the Unicorn Chronicle books by Bruce Coville?

DS soon to be 8 will be getting Arabian Nights and Treasure Island (both are Illustrated Junior Library editions) for his birthday (I always thought these books were so beautiful when I was a child - but never owned any).

For my 13 yo ds, the first four Redwall books, for my 7 yo ds the 2nd - 5th in the series of the How to Train Your Dragon books. 10 yo dd will be getting the last 3 of the 12 Andrew Lang fairy books and I'm not sure what to get my 16 yo. I'm sure he'll be real impressed by SAT prep books. :tongue_smilie:

There will be others, but those are the ones I've decided on for sure so far. My 10 yo dd needs some more "fun" reading. Any ideas?

For dd: a book with great photos of headwraps and The Doll Lady.

For ds: Marianne Berkes' books: Over in the Jungle/Ocean/Arctic.

For dh: A book about William Marshall that he probably doesn't want. I buy him a book as a matter of principle, but I will wrap it up in the quilt I've made (which he does want) and attach a note excusing him from finishing it. That way he might read some :tongue_smilie: Each year one of the major SCA events of the year in these parts is a tourney dedicated to the memory of William Marshall, and it's held o the first weekend in December so it'll still be fresh in his memory.

:)

Rosie

Edited by Rosie_0801

I am pretty sure ds is getting the Unofficial Lego Builder's Guide that someone mentioned over the weekend on another thread.

He's asked for the first couple of Ranger's Apprentice books. I work at a library, and I'm reluctant to buy fictional books that he's already read. The exceptions would be something like Lord of the Rings or other classic.

I don't think dd will be getting any books. She's been taking a huge down time on reading, only reading "school" books for the past year or so. At least she's enjoying Shakespeare though. She's been writing her own stories for years, and my challenge is to give her something she'll appreciate for writing instead.

My older girls only want a few. We also buy books all year so it is hard!

Carney's House Party (Lovelace)

We Have Always Lived in the Castle (Jackson)

Enchanted Hunters: The Power of Stories in Childhood (Tatar)

The Art of Tangled (Kurrti)

The Outlaws of Sherwood (McKinley)

Something Wicked This Way Comes (Bradbury)

The Diamond of Darkhold (DuPrau)

My 12yo wants her own set of the Harry Potter books. She has not come up with any others because her sisters "own everything already"!

My 10yo only wants Lego and tells me there are no books he wants. I think it is because he wants me to spend as much as possible on Lego and he is willing to read his older sisters' books and borrow from the library if it means more Lego :glare:

My 10yo only wants Lego and tells me there are no books he wants. I think it is because he wants me to spend as much as possible on Lego and he is willing to read his older sisters' books and borrow from the library if it means more Lego :glare:

You might find compromise with the Lego Star Wars book. I couldn't even get my hands on one last Christmas. Ds has checked it out of our library at least twice, and it's still on his Christmas list. There are words, lol.

The Lost Heroes of Olympus and the new Diary of a Wimpy Kid for the 10 year old.

The Books of Bayern for my 14 year old.

Also, for all of us, the Michael Scott, Secrets of the Immortal Nicolas Flamel series. I read them and absolutely loved them.

And The Hunger Games boxed set as well. Older dd and I already read and loved them.

You might find compromise with the Lego Star Wars book. I couldn't even get my hands on one last Christmas. Ds has checked it out of our library at least twice, and it's still on his Christmas list. There are words, lol.

He has this :001_smile: It was on his Christmas list last year and we couldn't find one till the spring, so he was really excited when we finally found it!

I'm getting my youngest's favorite story -- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry's hardcover edition of The Little Prince translated by Katherine Woods. He has the paperback, but supposedly the hardcover has larger illustrations and a better translation. I'd love to get an autographed first edition, but since that would cost as much as a new car, I will have to hold off until I win the lottery. :)

Edited by MBM
not enough caffeine