Menu

Well, since it's blaring on all the radios, let's discuss Christmas music

Favorite religious: We Three Kings

Favorite nonreligious: Carol of the Bells

Least favorite religious: Joy to the World

Least favorite nonreligious: If I had to pick I'd say the entire country-western Christmas music genre. I'm not a fan of country. Or rap. Are there rap Christmas songs? Pick one of those. That is my least favorite.

Least favorite nonreligious: If I had to pick I'd say the entire country-western Christmas music genre. I'm not a fan of country. Or rap. Are there rap Christmas songs? Pick one of those. That is my least favorite.

But of course--there's Run DMC's "Christmas in Hollis" :) I think it's DH's favorite Christmas song.

We're big fans of John Denver and the Muppet's Christmas album. I bought a bunch of Christmas stuff on itunes a couple of years ago and made a Christmas playlist. I need to add some more to it this year.

I have four favorite Christmas CD's that I listen to during the season.

Josh Groban

Nat Cole

Selah

NewSong (Christmas Shoes album) - We have the folio for this as well so my kids always want me to go to the piano and play Grinch.

I think that O Holy Night and Angels We have Heard on High are my favorite hymns.

We have a radio station here that plays pop Christmas tunes and I am not exaggerating when I say that "Feliz Navidad and I want a Hippopatumus for Christmas" play every single hour around the clock. I once was hired to help a local company decorate for a huge employee/family Christmas banquet that they were putting on...the employees played this station the entire day and I THOUGHT I'D LOSE MY MIND!

OH and I usually also play Handel's Messiah and a lot of Bach and Vivaldi throughout December...it calms me when things get riled up and crazy.

I'm off to put together my fruit bowl. I've been hiding from the crazy furor of Thanksgiving Day but must now be a good girl and take my food down to my mom's tiny kitchen and dining room so that my toes can be stepped on by 26 people!

Faith

"I Want A Hippopotamus For Christmas", I love it. It started out as a phone commercial, and the station we listen to started playing the full version...and now its a must play here.

I also love anything by the TransSiberian Orchestra. And the Carpenters Christmas Album, my Mom played/plays that every year...and Elvis Christmas music. Another childhood leftover.

I loathe Chipmunks, and any other 'animal' rendition of anything. I mean seriously, barking dogs??

And ppl think I'm nuts. *snort*

Favorites: any instrumental Christmas music, especially harp; Mannheim Steamroller; Carpenters

Favorite religious: O Come, O Come Emmanual

Favorit other: God Rest Ye Merry, Gentlemen (I guess that could be considered a religious carol)

Least Favorite: Santa Baby (double-ugg!!)

Favorites: O Holy Night, Go Tell It On the Mountain, What Child Is This, Angels We Have Heard on High, River, Tennessee Christmas, Emmanuel, Grown Up Christmas List, Morning Has Broken, Put One Foot in Front of the Other, Rockin' Aound the Christmas Tree (I should make myself a cd!)

Least Fave: Agree with OP - that Christmas Shoes song, Silver Bells

While I was searching for a couple of titles, I found this site: www.santasearch.org . Thought some of you might enjoy it.

God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen by Bare Naked Ladies with Sara McLauchlin (sp?)... Love it!

The Date Rape Christmas song (aka Baby It's Cold Outside)..... Hate it!

I also love the Carpenters and really enjoy traditional Christian carols with ALL their verses.

Pretty much dislike the pop-holiday-relationship tunes.

Favorites:

Star Carol - as sung by Anna Maria Alberghetti

The Coventry Carol

Carol of the Bells

Walking Through the Air - especially as played on the harp by my dd :001_smile:

Sleigh Ride - as performed by Steve Lawrence and Eydie Gormie

Any Christmas songs sung by Andy Williams, Barbara Streisand, Doris Day, Tony Bennett and Bing Crosby

Favorite CD:

Music Box Christmas - as performed by The Porter Twin Disc Music Box

Most dreaded songs:

Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer

Feliz Navidad

Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree

ANYthing that sounds like Country Music

Lots of favorites here:

O Holy Night

It Came Upon A Midnight Clear

What Child is This?

O Come, O Come, Emmanuel

Grown Up Christmas List

Breath of Heaven-Mary's Song

The Little Drummer Boy

Baby it's Cold Outside

Child of Wonder

Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree (only because of childhood memories, otherwise it would drive me nuts. LOL)

Carol of the Bells

The River

Coventry Carol

White Christmas

Born in Bethlehem

Most Hated:

Santa Baby

Wonderful Christmastime

Christmas Shoes

Hippopotamus Song (HORRID SONG)

Chipmunks anything

I really only like Christmas hymns, and those really only in very traditional style. My Christmas music line-up is full of King's College Cambridge choirs singing traditional carols. :)

I hate the jazzy and or pop "songs", even when I like the singer, ie. I don't want to hear Ella Fitzgerald sing "Have yourself a merry little Christmas," even though I love Ella.

I love almost all Christmas music . . . by Bing Crosby, or Mannheim Steamroller, or Gregorian chants, or more new Agey Winter Solstice type music. . .

I hate "Feliz Navidad". Maybe I've never heard it done right. . .?

You and I like many of the same things. I love Feliz Navidad, mostly because, one Christmas Eve, my brother (the one that is in the hospital) pulled out a guitar and started a family sing-a-long to this song. We all tried to "out soul" each other:lol:. He had had one drink too many and played until his fingers bled - all over the guitar. (My family does not sing or do "corny" things like that so this was a rare event indeed.)

http://realworldrecords.com/catalogue/go-tell-it-on-the-mountain/# Some real gospel music. Give these fellows a try ,you will not sit still for a minute! I was privileged to hear them in concert twice and must say they can bring it like none other.

I also adore the Mediaeval Baebes, really beautiful music.

http://www.amazon.com/Mistletoe-Wine-Seasonal-Collection/dp/B0000AM6O4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1290734619&sr=8-2

O Holy Night is, by far, my favorite Christmas song. I love it so much.

I cannot stand that Christmas shoe song. Blech!

And I don't think I can be friends with those of you who don't like the "I Want a Hippopotamus for Christmas". That song is fantastic!! ;)

Favorite Religious: O Holy Night by Josh Groban, it gives me shivers!

Favorite Secular: All I Want for Christmas is You; I know, many people hate this, but it makes me smile every time I hear it. I wish I had Mariah's voice.

Least Favorite: Do They Know It's Christmas, Christmas Shoes, Hippopotomus. There's one that I think is sung by Frank Sinatra, "He'll be comin' down the chimney" . . .? I HATE that one.

And I have to :lol::lol::lol::lol: every time someone brings up the "Date Rape" song, I first heard it called that here and now that's the only way I can think of it!

Okay, so I must be the weird one. One of my favorite radio stations starts playing Christmas music the day after Thanksgiving. It is the only station we listen to, until Christmas comes. Well, unless it is a "chipmunk" version of the song, in which case I turn the radio off immediately.

Krista

"I Want A Hippopotamus For Christmas", I love it. It started out as a phone commercial, and the station we listen to started playing the full version...and now its a must play here.

I also love anything by the TransSiberian Orchestra. And the Carpenters Christmas Album, my Mom played/plays that every year...and Elvis Christmas music. Another childhood leftover.

I loathe Chipmunks, and any other 'animal' rendition of anything. I mean seriously, barking dogs??

And ppl think I'm nuts. *snort*

Have you checked out the "Hippo" book - my boys love it! It has the music included.

Krista

I love it all.

My faves? Ella Wishes you a Swinging Christmas, Brian Setzer's Boogie Woogie Christmas, Christmas with the Rat Pack, and the very first Very Special Christmas.

I love classical, I love religious songs, though I can't stand that shoe song. Ohh Celine Dion and Andrea Bocelli's The Prayer, Andrea Bocelli period-I love that man sumthin awful.

http://realworldrecords.com/catalogue/go-tell-it-on-the-mountain/# Some real gospel music. Give these fellows a try ,you will not sit still for a minute! I was privileged to hear them in concert twice and must say they can bring it like none other.

I also adore the Mediaeval Baebes, really beautiful music.

http://www.amazon.com/Mistletoe-Wine-Seasonal-Collection/dp/B0000AM6O4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1290734619&sr=8-2

Those are Amazing. *love* the first. I can't imagine seeing them and not dancing.

And I'm now going to have to collect all of the Mediaeval Baebes. Just gorgeous.

I really like Christmas music, so I can't think of any ones that I hate. I guess there are ones that I may get tired of hearing, but the season is still young. The ones that I really love:

O Holy Night (not too particular about rendition, but I did hear a version two Christmases ago at B&N that sounded just like Amy Lee, but after researching and even calling the store, it still eludes me)

Happy Christmas (War is Over) (I don't think I've ever heard a version I don't like)

Last Christmas by Wham!

I Wish it Was Christmas Today by Julian Casablancas

White Wine in the Sun by Tim Minchin

Little Drummer Boy by Bowie

Winter's Carol by Tori Amos

There's probably a few more.

O Holy Night is, by far, my favorite Christmas song. I love it so much.

I cannot stand that Christmas shoe song. Blech!

And I don't think I can be friends with those of you who don't like the "I Want a Hippopotamus for Christmas". That song is fantastic!! ;)

Woooohooo!

Have you checked out the "Hippo" book - my boys love it! It has the music included.

Krista

No, hadn't heard of it! Cool!

Love Silent Night and Silver Bells.

Hate Springsteen's Santa Claus is Coming to Town and Santa Baby by Madonna.

Cannot/will not listen to I'll be Home for Christmas; it makes me bawl.

:iagree:,'cept I love I'll Be Home For Christmas :D Esp Elvis' version :blushing:

Favorite religious: We Three Kings

Favorite nonreligious: Carol of the Bells

Least favorite religious: Joy to the World

Seriously?? Joy to the World? :svengo:

,'cept I love I'll Be Home For Christmas :D Esp Elvis' version :blushing:

I love it, too, I just can't listen to it. When I was a kid my uncle was serving in Vietnam and my mother always cried when it played. I always associate it with soldiers away from home at the holidays. I've been known to leave stores when it comes on. :crying:

I think the problem is we saw him sing it once and my husband remarked, "He looks like he's constipated." Sort of ruined it for me. :D

I love DYHWIH, too.

In red: :lol::lol::lol::lol: So you do know, that for the REMAINDER of my days on this planet, EVERYTIME I hear The Boss sing 'SCICTT' I am going to remember that your dh thought he looked 'constipated.':lol::lol::lol:

My favorite Christmas song is "The Christmas Song" by Nat King Cole...My mom use to play that Nat King Cole album on Christmas when I was growing up...

The Nate King Cole Album was a favorite in our home at Christmas time. it brings back a lot of good memories :001_smile:

Bill

For those who dislike that Christmas Shoes Song:

http://www.joplinglobe.com/enjoy/x546222854/Jeremiah-Tucker-Christmas-Shoes-is-the-worst-holiday-song

It puts into words all that is wrong with that song.

:iagree:especially with this part: "I don’t think we’re supposed to believe that God killed this kid’s mom just so this bourgeois dink could feel like a saint for tossing the kid a couple bucks."

I love it, too, I just can't listen to it. When I was a kid my uncle was serving in Vietnam and my mother always cried when it played. I always associate it with soldiers away from home at the holidays. I've been known to leave stores when it comes on. :crying:

I associate it with armed services too. One of the reasons I do listen to it. :grouphug:

So you do know, that for the REMAINDER of my days on this planet, EVERYTIME I hear The Boss sing 'SCICTT' I am going to remember that your dh thought he looked 'constipated.'

He totally does. And sounds it too. Seriously, stay away from Christmas, Boss. And up the fiber. Like, a table.

Once again, a song done by Elvis isn't open for imitation/redo :tongue_smilie:

I have a cousin who loved "Grandma Got Run Over By a Reindeer" and used to sing it a lot.

My kids think its hilarious. :glare: Wasn't too bad until the idea that a) we may actually spend Xmas with a Grandma one year and b) crap, *I'm* gonna be a Grandma one day.

We love Christmas music here! My husband would be very happy if our 200 disc cd player were full of Christmas music. I like most of it, we some some for every mood.

The Oak Ridge Boys Happy Christmas Eve is one of my favorites

The soundtrack to Barbie's Christmas Carol is my favorite from last year.

Anything by Steven Curtis Chapman is excellent

I hate animal ones (barking dogs, etc.) and Grandma Got Run Over By a Reindeer