Menu

Well, I'm one of those moms.

Move over. I'm planting my flag next to yours on that hill. :D

Lol my mom did the same thing a long time ago!! I so agree with you, my mom doesn't allow any of this type of "junk" in the house, it rots the brain, and it makes you think of things that you don't need to. These people that sings these songs need to find God or do something else with their lives. There are little kids ya know!

I don't listen to any of this and I feel great that I don't, when my friends ask me if I ever heard these songs, and I tell them no, they look at me like I am crazy. But hey, I like who I am and I feel stronger in God more than ever! Good for you, lol.:D

I just have to chuckle because I was just singing along with him in the car. I only listen to the cleaned up versions because he does have a real potty mouth. He will go down in music history as one of the most talented rappers I believe because some of his stuff is really quite good....but that's just me.

I just have to chuckle because I was just singing along with him in the car. I only listen to the cleaned up versions because he does have a real potty mouth. He will go down in music history as one of the most talented rappers I believe because some of his stuff is really quite good....but that's just me.

Add me to the list that loves his music. IMO he is one of the most gifted poets that has ever lived.

Add me to the list that loves his music. IMO he is one of the most gifted poets that has ever lived.

Okay, I wasn't going to get into this, but poetry about having oral you know what, and rape, and every cuss word that even I don't use, imo, is not poetry. And if he does write poetry, (and to me that's a huge if) then it loses all it's credibility because of the trash he does write.

But, you know, that's just me.

Okay, I wasn't going to get into this, but poetry about having oral you know what, and rape, and every cuss word that even I don't use, imo, is not poetry. And if he does write poetry, (and to me that's a huge if) then it loses all it's credibility because of the trash he does write.

:iagree:

Seriously, I agree. Part of my definition of what makes GOOD poetry is the content. It isn't just about clever arrangement of words. But as you said, "That's just me." Thankfully, we each parent our own kids and not each others.

I just told my two boys that Eminem would not be played in my house. I don't care who likes him, I don't care if it pisses them off and I don't care if it makes them resent me.

I just took a look at some of his lyrics and this is a hill I'm going to take.

Really, Remudamom?

How could you do that?

What kind of mother would CENSOR the lyrics to such classic hits as

"Ass Like That" or "Big Weenie?"

For shame.

;)

Way to go.

With you on every point...including the part that it's not poetry.

Besides, even if they do resent you now, they will find themselves calling you at some point in the future and apologizing for resenting you because....they just heard the exact same words come out of their mouths to THEIR kids. :001_smile:

For the record, my ds11 loves rap but has chosen -- of his own free will (which is good because it is also a hill I will climb if necessary) -- to not listen to Eminem. He thinks they have messed up everything he likes about rap.

Edited by Debbie in OR

With you on every point...including the part that it's not poetry.

Besides, even if they do resent you now, they will find themselves calling you at some point in the future and apologizing for resenting you because....they just heard the exact same words come out of their mouths to THEIR kids. :001_smile:

Oh yeah. Payback will be sweet.

I had "one of those moms" and I'm grateful for it :D I plan to be one too. Thankfully my son's music interests only extend to Taylor Swift and the Harry Potter soundtrack at the moment (he's 7), so this is a hill I don't have to climb. . . yet.

And I agree--in no way is his 'work' poetry. Tacky, trashy, classless, degrading lowbrow filth is a better description in my book.

I just told my two boys that Eminem would not be played in my house. I don't care who likes him, I don't care if it pisses them off and I don't care if it makes them resent me.

I don't see anything wrong with drawing a line at a certain point.

:iagree:

I planted that flag a long time ago, but I can not stand any kind of rap, even Christian rap.

Krista

I personally think that's dangerous territory...there is a long history of poetry and art that is lewd, lascivious, bawdy, obscene, vulgar, etc. Now whether we want to allow our children to listen/read/view it is another question, and probably an easy one for most parents (no!). But a lot of great poetry/writing had been called trash in its day on the basis of lacking in morals. I submit to you this line from Romeo and Juliet (which may have been edited out of your version by an offended editor!):

O Romeo, that she were, O that she were

An open-arse, and thou a poperin pear.

A poperin pear, apparently, was a penis shaped pear which was used as a euphemism for penis, and as a pun on 'pop her in.' Now that's vulgar enough that I felt uncomfortable typing it--and its Shakespeare!

I have no particular opinion on Eminem and his ability or lack thereof as a poet. I for one do not let my children listen to any popular music--Miley Cyrus, Taylor Swift, High School Musical, none of it. This may get harder as they get older, so we'll see how it goes, but that's the line I've drawn for now. But I just thought I'd speak up to offer another perspective.

Well, I can sympathize with your son. If someone farts in public I'm the first to roll around laughing.

Knew I loved you.

:D

My dad used to let one loose on an airplane, turn to the guy next to him, and say, "Do you MIND?" :lol:

As far as Eminem, I wish I had stood my ground the way you are.

Guest Cindie2dds

:hurray: