Menu

How would you pron. this name?

Since I wasn't getting many responses on my baby boards, I thought I would ask here. I know how opinionated people here can be :tongue_smilie: and that is just what I need. LOL. I have found a couple of names that are very appealing but am not sure if I am pronouncing it correctly especially considering I grew up in backwoods Mississippi and now live in rural Louisiana. I don't run across names such as this often but that is one thing I love about them. My other children have uncommon names as well Celena "CC", Nathan "Nate" (was uncommon then), Annabelle Scarlett "Annie", Evangeline "Evie", and Zeke. Baby #6 is due in April and we won't find out the sex. For a boy our top runners are Remy, Wyatt, and Jeremiah "Remy".

Anyway.....

The names are Ottilia and Ottilie. I have researched and there seems to be many pronunciations. Does anyone know anyone by this name? How did they pronounce it? If not, how would you assume it is pronounced? Do you like the name? What about the nickname Tillie/Tilly? If you would like to suggest middle names, I would be so thankful.

Other girl considerations are Esme (dh isn't so sure) and Etta (we haven't found a longer version we love though.)

Thanks so much!

don't have a clue how to pronounce those names but I do love Tilly. I like names that are unusual-perhaps I mean rarely used or ones used in years past. However, I want them to be names that others can easily pronounce and easy to spell for others. I have a pretty common name but there are variations to the ending(y, ie or i) and I am always correcting the spelling which is a pain. I think in life as they grow older, it is helpful in a career or other areas of life to have a name that is easy for others to say/spell.

Oh, and I had two boys but I told my husband that if we had had a girl that I always wanted to name her, "Ivy." Love that!

:iagree: with those pronounciations, though I've never heard the names before. I would expect they'd be difficult for some to pronounce. Tilly is a lovely nickname :)

I do love Esme. Dd10 has a friend named Etta (they are from Iceland where it is a more common name), which I think is a beautiful name as well.

What do the "O" names you listed mean? That would help me decide if I liked them enough to go that unusual. I'm not fond of any other O names, personally, but ymmv!

I do like the suggestion of Natalie.

I'd steer clear of Esme b/c of Twilight.

I mostly go for older names if they have some sort of family connection attached to make them meaningful. Again, ymmv!!:001_smile:

This is not on your list, but your list reminds me of a friend's daughter...

Talia

I had never heard it before! It grew on me and this young girl was a dear one! She is now an older teen. Sheesh... time goes by and I feel old!

I have no idea how I would go about pronouncing Ottilia, but it did make me think of Atilla the Hun.

I absolutely adore the nickname Tillie, and I've been trying to think of full name to go with it for my currently imaginary daughter. ;). If you don't mind uncommon names, how about Millicent nn Tillie?

I haven't heard either of your O names either. I knew a Tilly once--she was a very sweet older lady--but I don't know if that was her given name or a nickname. Hm, pronunciation? Otillia=Oh TILL eeya. Otillie=Oh TILL ee.

I haven't read Twilight so I didn't know about the connection to the name Esme. But I have read the Series of Unfortunate Events and there is a ridiculous character there named Esme.

Have fun with your name search!

Cinder

Ottilia O-Til-lee-a

and Ottilie O-Til-lee

I am one for "different" names or names that are not spelled the traditional amercian way, but these are *very* different. People are *always* mispronoucing J's name just because we spelled it the traditional Czech way instead of the traditional amercian way. I do not have a Joseph, I have a Jose-F. Unless you really know how to pronuce his name and he is Yosef :)

This is not on your list, but your list reminds me of a friend's daughter...

Talia

I had never heard it before! It grew on me and this young girl was a dear one! She is now an older teen. Sheesh... time goes by and I feel old!

Mercedes' Lackey has a Valdemar series where Talia is the main character. (Arrows of the Queen and so on) Given age of young teen, I would wonder if child was named after book, first published 1987

If I saw these names I would pronounce Ottilia as Oh-TILL-ee-ah and Ottilie as Oh-tilly or Oh-till-EE, though I can see that it might be intended as the same pronounciation for both names. I haven't met anyone with these names so I don't know what the "right" pronounciation would be. It might be worth showing the names to several people where you live, since regional pronounciations might make a difference.

On Etta, one of my grandmothers was Emilietta.

Edited by Sebastian (a lady)

My first thought was Attilla the Hun. But reading the responses, I kind of like both versions of the name. You could always call her "Lee!" :) My only suggestion for a middle name is make sure her initials won't spell something unpleasant now or if she changes her name when she marries (OWE, OOP, OLD, etc!).

I know a little girl whose full name is Etta, named after her grandma Maryetta. I like it!

Ottilie/Ottilee I would pronounce AH-til-ee (first syllable with short o sound and accented, second syllable with short i sound, third syllable with long e sound). I like this name a lot.

I also love Esme and Etta. I didn't know about the Esme/Twilight connection though - that would rule it out for me.

I would be a little concerned people reading the name would pronounce it as Attila (as in "the Hun").

Wouldn't be concerned about that, not because they wouldn't (they probably would), but because people are still named Attila today. When I was a teen traveling throughout Europe, I met a VERY handsome young man by the name of Attila while I was in Budapest.

Thanks everyone for all the responses. I was sick yesterday and unable to get online to thank you properly.

I am a little conscerned about the Atilia comment although I never thought that at all. I will have to think more about the name now though.

Esme is still a favorite of mine Twilight or not. I am not worried the least about its influence. I actually loved the name years before and now it is less "weird" to people thanks to Twilight. LOL.

I have added Matilda to the list. Thanks for suggesting it.