Menu

The word f@rt

My 12yo stuck to "passing gas" or "flatulence" until he was 10 or 11 years old. He found the other word(s) mortifying. The rest of my kids have used the other word.

Personally, I find all of the words for it uncomfortable, and would rather it never be mentioned. But if it IS going to be mentioned, it doesn't make a difference to me which words are used.

It never bothered me until I heard my MIL say it to my baby girl. Picture a strong Greek accent, rolling R's and serious nauseating baby-talk: "oh kookla, you fahrted! Neh, you can fahrt! Good girl, neh, that was a beek fart!" :glare: It still makes me cringe.

I know we all have our words that bother us. I have mine.

This one superuptight family I know wouldn't allow their children to say fart. They had to say fark. :001_huh:

I fark.

You fark.

He/she/it farks.

We fark.

Ya'll fark.

They fark.

fark, farked, have farked

farking

Did you just fark?

A venerable word, appearing in the oldest known round in English. Surely as classical homeschoolers we should be encouraging our children in ancient verb usage.

LOL OK I like your post, but I'm wondering if the link is wrong? :confused: I'm not following. In the one instance I saw, the buck "farted" to show how masculine he was, how verile, how he was able to father. It seems that according to that definition, the word should be "sprayed" or "ej*cul@ted", not passing gas. Am I missing something? Perhaps that is the wrong link... :lol: or I'm just dense today... which is a possibility!

LOL OK I like your post, but I'm wondering if the link is wrong? :confused: I'm not following. In the one instance I saw, the buck "farted" to show how masculine he was, how verile, how he was able to father. It seems that according to that definition, the word should be "sprayed" or "ej*cul@ted", not passing gas. Am I missing something? Perhaps that is the wrong link... :lol: or I'm just dense today... which is a possibility!
No, it's passing gas. Farting (ooh!) has an interesting history in folklore of northern Europe. Among other things, it was a sign of a manly work ethic, and drove the devil away (well, sure).

We didn't use that term for years but it ended up being a losing battle. Apparently, when your a 10 year old boy and you say poot or toot or passed gas it's just not cool.

I don't like hearing any female say it but it is what it is!

That is one of the Words Which Must Never Be Spoken, in my opinion.

My ex-husband's family calls it "dropping a rose" instead. I don't call it anything because I don't talk about it. The kids do, but if they want a discussion, they have to talk to DH, who is happy to discuss intestinal matters.

Edited by RoughCollie

I don't know. I'm not a fan of "toot" myself. I find it a little weird to come up with cute names for things like that...Like if I said "bubbled" instead of "burped" or something.

A fart is a fart is a fart. :)

:iagree: It's funny this was just brought up as I just kicked my son of the couch for farting next to me on purpose and then laughing hysterically about it. A fart is a fart.

Maybe you're being too modern. :D It may have been that farting was once associated with virility.

We didn't use that term for years but it ended up being a losing battle. Apparently, when your a 10 year old boy and you say poot or toot or passed gas it's just not cool.

I don't like hearing any female say it but it is what it is!

Maybe it hasn't lost all associations with masculinity and virility after all. :D

It has just recently become an unbanned word here. My nine year old made a poster for his room of big, bubbly letters saying FART across it. I would prefer they say break wind or pass gas, if they fell they MUST mention it. They would rather say that would or "dropped a hot air biscuit" instead.

On a funny note, my sister-in-law used to say her kids were "popping corn" in their diapers. My mother-in-law ate a lot of popcorn at that time. I wonder if my nephews thought when she would talk about going to the kitchen to make popcorn, if she was just gassy.

Unfortunately it is often the topic of discussions at our house. I try really hard, I promise, but DH is the worst. It send the kids (and DH) into fits of laughter when I request we not talk about "flatulence". We mostly say "toot", I don't like the kids to say "fart".

When I was in high school, I got in trouble from my mother for saying "fart".:001_huh:

That is one of the Words Which Must Never Be Spoken, in my opinion.

My ex-husband's family calls it "dropping a rose" instead. I don't call it anything because I don't talk about it. The kids do, but if they want a discussion, they have to talk to DH, who is happy to discuss intestinal matters.

LOL. I almost agree. When I must discuss it, I say flatulence or passing gas, but in my house, we know that isn't a discussion for polite company.

I don't like the word, don't say it myself, and have taught the kids not to say it.

Honestly, I've taught them not to mention it at all, besides the offender saying "excuse me". I can't imagine a polite reason why anyone would even need to bring up the subject, though I'm sure my boys joke and laugh about it when they're by themselves. :001_smile:

Now if I could just control the word sh*t! I don't use it (never have), but I married a dairy farmer, and they don't call the piles out there "manure". Unfortunately, my boys use the term also (though my girls do not), not as an exclamation, but as a real term, as in: "Yeah, that corral's getting a little messy, we're gonna have to start moving the sh*t next week." or "Mom, I stripped in the garage, 'cause my pants are covered with sh*t." :001_huh:

We occasionally have field trip groups come to the dairy, and I always have to issue a strenuous warning to dh that he CANNOT say the word "sh*t" in front of K-8 students, even if he means the substance, and not the exclamation! :D

We weren't allowed to say "fart" we could say "pass gas".....We also couldn't say "Shut-up" or... lots of other things my mom considered "crass". (No boogers.... we had "mucous")

My kids say all kinds of stuff that just really embarrasses me... but my husband thinks all of it is fine. He also says... when angry... "Shut your pie hole".... To me...all of that language is on the same level.

Not allowed.... but... I've lost the whole way.

To this day as a 50 year old woman I cannot say that word. My dear father had very strong opinions on appropriate language, and 'that' word was crude and crass. It was never said in our house except on one occasion. My mom and dad were having a fight, and my mom, being at the end of her rope and unable to get her point across to my dad, called him a little f**t. Oh my! I'll never forget that. Women (or men) didn't use such language.

Anyway, guess I'm still scarred because I cannot say that word. I've managed quite well though. In our family, we say someone floofed.

It never bothered me until I heard my MIL say it to my baby girl. Picture a strong Greek accent, rolling R's and serious nauseating baby-talk: "oh kookla, you fahrted! Neh, you can fahrt! Good girl, neh, that was a beek fart!" :glare: It still makes me cringe.

...OMG! :lol::lol::lol::lol: I wish I could actually hear you mimic that cause even on the screen it looks like it was hilarious.

We say fart. My kids, both girls, will fart loudly around us. They think it's wildly hilarious. I find it very annoying, but my husband doesn't sympathize so I'm fighting a losing battle around here.

This is us. I like most horrific words, f-bombs, the c words, I find no objection to them, but the word f@rt grates on me like nothing else. I will be gracious in my defeat, though and get over it like I've gotten over many things. :lol:

I can't say it either. And to this day, my teen sons seem to be under the illusion that mothers do not ever perform that action. It's just not motherly!

Anyway, I remember reading once that the action is actually a "fast repetitive tic," so perhaps the word is derived from an acronym? Even with that reasoning, it is not acceptable for use in mixed company in my home. But I suspect the boys and their dad have an entire set of vocabulary words they use when they are off on their manly jaunts. I don't even want to speculate on what other terms might be on THAT list....:eek:

This is us. I like most horrific words, f-bombs, the c words, I find no objection to them, but the word f@rt grates on me like nothing else. I will be gracious in my defeat, though and get over it like I've gotten over many things. :lol:

The C word is one word I will not say, I even have trouble saying it if I'm telling someone that someone else said it. LOL! I do say the F word quite a bit, and most other curse words, but only to my husband and certain friends/family.

Fart doesn't bother me, like most words, but I tell the kids not to say it in public or around certain friends and family. I just told them that some people are offended by those types of words so it's kind to not use them.

The C word is one word I will not say, I even have trouble saying it if I'm telling someone that someone else said it. LOL! I do say the F word quite a bit, and most other curse words, but only to my husband and certain friends/family.

Fart doesn't bother me, like most words, but I tell the kids not to say it in public or around certain friends and family. I just told them that some people are offended by those types of words so it's kind to not use them.

The male c-word is just a word to me.

The female c-word, uggh. I hate it. I've never heard it used with anything but viciousness.

I haven't read all the replies, but I have felt the same way. I do not like to hear my sweet little girl saying that word. I was lecturing her one day about how neither her Aunt or I would have ever used such language when we were young girls and it was probably only because she had an older brother that she had become desensitized to it, but that it sounded just hideous and on and on ....

Suddenly, I had a vivid memory of calling a certain bully in our neighborhood f@rtface and then I remembered other such instances and realized that I was not so dainty as I had remembered. :tongue_smilie:

I laughed out loud and had to confess on the spot.

Lisa

My sister and I were not allowed to say 'fart' growing up. We had to call them "stinkers" I think that's worse.

My kids all say it and I don't care. Even my mom calls them farts now:lol:

I could have written this post! I hate cutesy word for biological functions. My mom used to use 'stinker' and 'tinkle' (for peeing). To this day it makes me shudder to hear anyone use either. And she doesn't say them anymore either.

I. hate. that. word. I don't know why. I just really do. We don't say it in our house. And, normally I'm not so prudish, but that word just bothers me for some reason. No reasonable explanation. :lol:

Diane W.

married for 22 years

homeschooling 3 kiddos for 16 years

I'm getting a kick out of this thread! What does that tell you about me? :tongue_smilie:

When my older two kids were about 10 and 6, my daughter (the younger) flipped out one afternoon, screeching repeatedly, "Eric said the F word! Mom, he said the F word!!!" My son looked at her like she'd lost her mind and calmly admitted, "I just said it smelled like a fart in here." :lol:

This one superuptight family I know wouldn't allow their children to say fart. They had to say fark. :001_huh:

Agree with your :001_huh:. I don't see how "fark" makes any difference.

We say "howdy" which we picked up from dh's military days.

Did you howdy?

Dd says "poot" which she picked up from a playmate. I sometimes just call it "air" or "bad air." :tongue_smilie:

Cinder