Menu

Teeny little vent

It's because we're too lazy to type "mathematically inclined."

:iagree:

Just like we use "arty" or "artsy" as a short form of "artistically inclined."

I don't hear people say "Englishy" or "Sciencey". Odd.

I've seen/heard people use "sciencey" (including me). I think people don't use Englishy because it doesn't imply "good at English" as much as it implies "from or about England." But maybe that's because my DH is Englishy. :lol:

Jackie

Edited by Corraleno

I like the "numbers guy" idea. But, I'll stick with mathsy (thank you Rosey ;) ). It's not often I get to knowingly irritate people...

And you will know I'm having a bad day when I post a thread on Mathsy kids.......

ooooh new inside joke for me to have with myself.

I like this one.

We could say he/she was a "friend of Fred", of course it would only apply if you're using LOF.

Too close to being a friend of John W.

:lol:

How about just "a numbers guy/gal"? You know - "My kid is a real numbers guy, if you know what I mean." (wink, wink, nod)

They would think you were raising a bookie! Or teaching craps instead of statistics (same difference, really).

Sounds like an IEW course. :tongue_smilie: Ever notice how long and confounded most of his curricula titles are? I love Mr. Pudewa, but how does he come up with these names?

He's anti-grammar and sentence diagramming. So, that should explain it. ;)

If one more person uses the word mathy in a thread, my head may explode! :ack2: Please people, can we find a new word or phrase that means good at math? PLEASE??? :banghead:

I'm curious why this term bothers you. Do you find artsy or crafty offensive too?

I mean this in good humor. I would much rather read that someone's child is mathy than have to try to make sense of a sentence that isn't punctuated correctly.

Wait! What context are you thinking of "meaty" being used in? Meaty ribs? or a meaty science program?

Actually I was thinking of miso paste. I have food on the brain, you see. I wouldn't dream of talking about umami science programs, and umami ribs would just be silly. What else would they be?

Never mind me...

Rosie