Menu

What would you have chosen as a career?

I know, 100%, that I want to be a homeschooling mom when I have children. There is no doubt in my mind that that is what I want.

So, as I sit here thinking of my career choices, what career would you have chosen that paid well enough but was flexible enough for you to homeschool, whether it be part-time, or flexible full-time?

The people I know with the most flexibility and the best part time incomes are the occupational therapists and physical therapists that are working with my children. There are also some speech therapists I know who work for a private company and can have flexibility in scheduling. They are all making over $50 an hour.

I chose teaching and am glad I did however. It didn't really help me homeschool but it has stopped some of that 'you can't be qualified to homeschool' talk others hear.

The people I know with the most flexibility and the best part time incomes are the occupational therapists and physical therapists that are working with my children. There are also some speech therapists I know who work for a private company and can have flexibility in scheduling. They are all making over $50 an hour.

I chose teaching and am glad I did however. It didn't really help me homeschool but it has stopped some of that 'you can't be qualified to homeschool' talk others hear.

Ha, funny you brought that up because I've been researching it. It justs seems an awful long time to get to be an OT or PT.

I'm already doing it. :) Midwifery. We do a 4-day school week so I see clients on our off day, Friday. When a birth happens my dh works from home so I have the freedom to leave when I need to and not worry about getting home at a certain time.

I also teach childbirth classes which allows me to set my own schedule and teach in the evenings and one Saturday a month.

Ha, funny you brought that up because I've been researching it. It justs seems an awful long time to get to be an OT or PT.

:iagree:I looked it up and the primary way to get an OT degree in my area was through a Master's Degree program that cost in excess of $90,000 in fees alone. This was just for the OT part, not even counting the pre-reqs or BS needed beforehand. These programs are extremely competitive too. It is a great job after you get the degree, but man are there bottle-necks at the university level to get into nursing, PT, or OT.

I would say professor at a university or community college, but that is also a lot of school and there seem to be fewer and fewer jobs available.

Honestly? A doctor of some sort, possibly a pediatrician.

As far as it being a homeschooling friendly job, I guess it would depend on the demands of your particular practice. In one city where we lived years ago, we used a peds practice that was composed mainly of mom doctors. They each only worked part time. We never felt neglected in any way because we were served by non-full-time physicians. I'm sure they could have made more money but they all worked together to strike a good balance between career and family.

:iagree:I looked it up and the primary way to get an OT degree in my area was through a Master's Degree program that cost in excess of $90,000 in fees alone. This was just for the OT part, not even counting the pre-reqs or BS needed beforehand. These programs are extremely competitive too. It is a great job after you get the degree, but man are there bottle-necks at the university level to get into nursing, PT, or OT.

Yeah, I was making a game plan in my head but the more I think about it, the dumber it sounds.

I was thinking about becoming a Certified Occupational Therapy Assistant at community college. Added up all the costs and it was about $10,000 in all. Then I planned on getting a job, saving up and going to college to work to become an OT. There are just too many ifs. I read a lot of COTAs getting replaced by actual OTs because they can write evals while COTAs can't.

Nothing is ever easy:glare:

I would have gone the music performance route instead of music ed. It's what I really wanted in the first place, and it would have put me in a better position to give private lessons and make real $ after dc.

I'd be interested in being an OT, but I'd have to go back to school...maybe when my dc are older...

The *BIG* thing, from my pov, is to avoid student loan debt. If you must get student loans, make SURE it's an amount that you can pay off quickly after graduating.

I'm a 31yo mom of 3dc, with tons of SL debt for a degree I don't use...It would have been better, for *me,* to focus on getting dh out of school (and making $) first and then take my sweet time on my school while I'm at home with the kids. School would be a welcome diversion from irl at this point;), and I could afford it if not for these loans I'm making payments on...

I *wish* I had the foresight to even *think* about this at your age.:001_smile:

I would have gone the music performance route instead of music ed. It's what I really wanted in the first place, and it would have put me in a better position to give private lessons and make real $ after dc.

I'd be interested in being an OT, but I'd have to go back to school...maybe when my dc are older...

The *BIG* thing, from my pov, is to avoid student loan debt. If you must get student loans, make SURE it's an amount that you can pay off quickly after graduating.

I'm a 31yo mom of 3dc, with tons of SL debt for a degree I don't use...It would have been better, for *me,* to focus on getting dh out of school (and making $) first and then take my sweet time on my school while I'm at home with the kids. School would be a welcome diversion from irl at this point;), and I could afford it if not for these loans I'm making payments on...

I *wish* I had the foresight to even *think* about this at your age.:001_smile:

Thank you.

That is why I am against the OT thing a bit. Most careers I've looked into require much higher levels of schooling than I could imagine affording.

Even with scholarships, I doubt I could cover costs all the way to a Master's degree.

Well, I did have a career before hsing, but I couldn't hs and do it. I was a high school counselor and a high school teacher before that.

If I had thought of hsing before I had kids, I might have chosen nursing, although I have to honestly say that I was never medically inclined.

I could teach ESL in a CC or even a college setting in the evening. I haven't pursued it here, but I might at some point!

Dawn

No experience yet, but I'm hoping I've chosen the right career path for me! :D

I'm in school for history, hoping to be a college professor. It offers a little more flexibility than a 9-5 job. I have one professor who lives 4 hours away 4 days a week and teaches her classes the other 3. I have previously had professors who teach a class on campus and 2-3 online. There is a lot of work that can be done from home, and there are part time opportunities.

(Ok... I *really* want to be an author, but I need something that actually makes money while I'm trying to get published! lol)

I always tell my daughter she should become an OT or a speech therapist. My son's OT had two kids and she could work whatever hours she wanted to. She could even bring her kids with her.

My sons speech therapist was self employed. She lived/worked in the same town and her office was walking distance to her house.

Air traffic control--kidding but with coordinating 4 kids' schedules plus my part-time job, that would have helped! Some moms I know have done the following part-time work:

Speech & language pathologist, counseling, children's ministry , any kind of lessons (tutoring, music, art, teaching middle and high school homeschool classes)

If this had existed 25 years ago when I was trying to figure out what to get training in, I would have done it in a heart beat. I did receive the training about 2 years ago and now work at the local university. I. love. it.

Basically, it's providing communication access services to deaf and hard-of-hearing people by learning a keyboard abbreviation system and using specialized laptop computers to type the spoken communications in a room. You type on one laptop, and the client reads on another. They are getting real-time access to what is happening in the room, and if they want to ask a question or make a comment, they can either voice that themselves, or type the words to you to voice for them. It's like sign language -- but some deaf and most HOH people don't know sign language, while they CAN read this text.

The training is quick (1.5 to 3 mos.), inexpensive ($400) and the job pays pretty well -- I make $20/hour at the university, but freelancers charge more (I'm aiming for that eventually). It does help if there's a school/university already using this service (so you apply with them; my university paid for my training because they were already utilizing TW transcribers), but I'm the kind of person where, if I lived somewhere it isn't currently in use, I'd introduce it and try to get them to hire me.

Edited by milovaný

If I could go back to my freshman year of college, I would go into nursing. I know a lot of moms who have good part-time nursing jobs and I think I would be good at/enjoy the work.

Before I had kids, I was a teacher (middle school/high school). There is so much wrong with schools/education, I will never go back to teaching.

I have a good friend who is a doctor and works part time. She makes more than enough to live comfortably and be there whenever her children need her. Had I known that was an option, I would have continued my pre-med studies.

As it is being an adjunct is great. I will never make enough money to support my family but it helps cover extras and gives me the flexibility to homeschool.

The women I know who have the most money & the most flexibility are nurses and medical doctors. Nothing else even comes close. Medicine, Dear Watson.

People always get sick.

Add to that a PA. My SIL is just finishing her PA schooling, she has had several job offers and she will be able to choose a job with quite a bit of flexibility (the best hours and money for her would probably be in dermatology).

Stephanie -

You have SUCH foresight. I admire that. My own dd is thinking along these lines, too. But I want to challenge you. . .

What do you love? What do you feel you are "wired" for? Where are your gifts and strengths? Head that direction. When you get to the point where you want to/need to work to provide an income, etc, doing what you love is a big help.

(Says the mom who's providing summer camps/classes in my home - teaching science, music, history - and LOVING it!)

(Says the mom who's providing summer camps/classes in my home - teaching science, music, history - and LOVING it!)

Heather! This is my latest idea! LOL. I have a bunch. But I could seriously see me/my kids doing summer camps here at our house. Can I PM you? (Don't answer that because I'm already on my way to do so .... ) :D

If, for whatever reason, you were going to do that for life? If you didn't have children, for example?

I think you should start with what you think you would actually like doing that is actually an employable skill. No sense becoming a nurse or therapist if you are really more of a computer programming kind of gal, right?

Start down the path of something you might like. If you actually like your work, it will make the days easier when you are struggling with the demands of balancing parenting, wifery, and work. Nothing worse of leaving children you absolutely adore for a job you hate.

Stephanie -

You have SUCH foresight. I admire that. My own dd is thinking along these lines, too. But I want to challenge you. . .

What do you love? What do you feel you are "wired" for? Where are your gifts and strengths? Head that direction. When you get to the point where you want to/need to work to provide an income, etc, doing what you love is a big help.

If, for whatever reason, you were going to do that for life? If you didn't have children, for example?

I think you should start with what you think you would actually like doing that is actually an employable skill. No sense becoming a nurse or therapist if you are really more of a computer programming kind of gal, right?

Start down the path of something you might like. If you actually like your work, it will make the days easier when you are struggling with the demands of balancing parenting, wifery, and work. Nothing worse of leaving children you absolutely adore for a job you hate.

I love researching. I just don't know where to go from there. I was looking into becoming a Curator/Archivist but most require a Masters or Doctorate to even be considered and I don't know if I'll be able to afford to go that far.

I love reading, but I hate writing. I am thinking of double majoring- one of the majors being English so I could edit on the side, away from a main job.

I want to find something I will love, but also want to be practical. The Curator/Archivist job isn't seeming too practical to me right now because I would be in college so long, I don't know how I would support myself, plus pay tuition.

I wanted to be a Special Needs Teacher because I have worked with Special Needs kids at my old school for a video project and loved it. I would want to do it on the Elementary level, not high school but with all the talk of teachers getting bad benefits and bad pay, it isn't seeming too good right now, so the next step was OT.

That one seems most promising because I can become a COTA and find a job for that while I pay my way through college to become an OT.

My dreams seem limited when it comes to money :001_unsure:

I guess, if money was no matter at all and I knew 100% right now that I could pay my way through college in the future, I would definitely say I want to become a Curator or Archivist for museums or even the Smithsonian.

Edited by BeatleMania

You should do what you know you will love, Tiger. It breaks my heart to think of a young person limiting her passion. You can attend a state school, even part time. You can live at home. Even if you have to take out some loans at the graduate level, it's an investment in your own life, your own future. Be smart about it.

I know a young man who lives in NYC and at 25 is now attending law school and blowing people away with his intelligence and maturity. His tuition is minimal as he is a NYC resident. Don't make a life decision too soon, or for the wrong reasons.

Having kids is amazing, but there is also another interesting and wonderful world out there. You can have that and motherhood. To everything there is a season.

Edited by LibraryLover

I know a woman who homeschools. She and her boys spend half the year in France, her country of birth.

She's an architect who specializes in designing huge, walk-in closets and closet makeovers for those big McMansions and the big old homes around this area which many people buy and renovate. I'm talking 7-figure homes. ;-)

Anyway, she loves her career and it's very flexible. She's hired, meets with the clients a couple of times, draws up the plans, meets with the builder a couple of times and she's paid. She takes on as few or as many clients as she wants, and works on plans after her kids go to bed at night or while they're napping.

I always think she's got a very cool job!

Best of luck to you in your search!

astrid

I would have enjoyed being a homicide detective, an FBI agent on the FBI task force on missing children, or a surgeon.

I would have been a nurse or a physician if I'd realized I'd be homeschooling though, because the hours are flexible in some cases. I used to know a nurse who worked 12 hour shifts on Saturday and Sundays and got paid for a 40-hour week. I have a friend who is a nephrologist -- she has worked part-time since she had kids, for 16 years. I also like that these jobs are portable.

Edited by RoughCollie

If you're interested in special needs children, you could still pursue that. There is a strong market around here for tutoring for kids with LD's of various kinds, for instance. Really good tutors can get $50 per hour; most make at least $25-$30. Tutoring is reasonably flexible, though limited to nonschool hours.

The Information Technology field has a history of flexible scheduling and once you have some experience there are often work from home opportunities. I would avoid System Administrator type jobs because they sometimes have 80+ hour weeks but there are other positions that are a good fit. Help-desk positions are sometimes work from home and while many have been outsourced not all of them have. Also, Web Design especially freelance web page design. Information Security would also be an area to consider. One caveat is that I would not go into any of these careers if you are not fond of computers and technical detail.