Menu

So what easy dinner are you making tonight?

I'm making chicken: cut up boneless skinless chicken into chunks, brown slightly in a frying pan, pour a can of enchilada sauce over, cover & turn to low, and simmer for appx. 30 mins. Top with chopped black olives and a bit of shredded sharp cheddar. Serve with refried beans (either homemade or not) and a few tortilla chips. Lettuce and tomato salad on the side.

I'm planning my menu for this week, and looking for new ideas. What're you making? :)

We are having sandwiches tonight. Dh just left and won't be back until after 6p. Dd has karate at 6:30p. Today, life is getting in the way of family meal time.

Anything special in your sandwiches?

Speaking of sandwiches, last night I made lettuce wraps. Big, leafy green lettuce, loaded with turkey, monterey jack, tomatoes, thinly sliced red onions, and avocado. I saw a menu recently from a sandwich restaurant and was in awe of the many different splendid sandwiches offered. I decided to try and make some of them this summer. http://www.wichcraftnyc.com/food/# (click on gallery)

Anything special in your sandwiches?

Speaking of sandwiches, last night I made lettuce wraps. Big, leafy green lettuce, loaded with turkey, monterey jack, tomatoes, thinly sliced red onions, and avocado. I saw a menu recently from a sandwich restaurant and was in awe of the many different splendid sandwiches offered. I decided to try and make some of them this summer. http://www.wichcraftnyc.com/food/# (click on gallery)

We love lettuce wraps here. Unsure of what supper will be tonight, but if it gets as hot today as it was yesterday I do not want to turn my oven on. SO - we will either grill or use the crockpot. I put a whole chicken in my crockpot for the first time a few days ago and it was pretty tasty.

Looking forward to hearing suggestions for the week.

I think I am going to roast a chicken with some BBQ sauce with potato salad, some peas from the garden and sliced tomatoes.

Do you roast the chicken in the oven, or do you grill it?

Do you have a favorite bbq sauce? I do, but it's homemade, and though it's super-duper easy, it's not *as easy* as buying a bottle. ;) On the rare occasion that I buy bbq sauce, I buy Sweet Baby Ray's. My homemade tastes pretty much the same as that. :drool5:

Chicken Broccoli Casserole! This is hands down the favorite meal in our house. Indy would eat it every day if I cooked it. It's super easy.

Ingredients:

Cut up chicken breasts

Broccoli (I use fresh, but frozen will do)

Lemon juice (to taste-probably about 1 tbsp)

Salt and Pepper (to taste)

1 can Cream of Chicken soup

1 cup mayo

Shredded cheese

Bread Crumbs (I actually crush Ritz crackers because we prefer it)

Squirt lemon juice, salt and pepper over chicken and cook in the oven until done (about 15-20 minutes).

Cook broccoli on stove top until just tender. Drain. Spread broccoli over chicken. Mix soup, mayo and more lemon juice (to taste-we like it tangy) and spread evenly over broccoli. Cook 10 minutes. Sprinkle cheese on top of sauce and cover with bread crumbs. Cook 3-5 minutes or until cheese is melted and bread crumbs are slightly browned. Serve over rice.

I could make this dish in my sleep. It doesn't take long because I do all the prep while the chicken cooks. Dh and Indy get soooooo excited when I make this. We have it almost weekly and if I skip a week they complain. I did the Ritz crackers once when I discovered, in the middle of making it that we were out of bread and bread crumbs and we actually liked it better than with the bread crumbs.

Do you roast the chicken in the oven, or do you grill it?

Do you have a favorite bbq sauce? I do, but it's homemade, and though it's super-duper easy, it's not *as easy* as buying a bottle. ;) On the rare occasion that I buy bbq sauce, I buy Sweet Baby Ray's. My homemade tastes pretty much the same as that. :drool5:

I roast in the oven. I salt it and stick it in the oven. My favorite BBQ sauce is Montgomery Inn which I think may be just a rather local thing (from the restaurant in Cincinnati). Sweet Baby Ray's is yummy too. I use the bottled stuff because I have yet to be able to get a homemaed one just right.

Beef and gravy over mashed potatoes with green beans and steamed broccoli.

The beef is a combo of stew beef and venison that I canned last fall. It is a dump and warm kind of thing. So, 20 minutes to peel, dice, and boil potatoes, 10 minutes to heat and slightly thicken meat and broth, 10-15 minutes to steam the broccoli. Oh, I do have some cottage cheese to go with. Green beans are home canned as well, 3-4 minutes to warm through.

Faith

Trader Joe's Red Sockeye Wild Caught Alaskan Salmon fillet, grilled

Noodle kugel (it's in the oven now, to hot here to bake this afternoon)

Veggie (maybe broccoli casserole)

Lettuce salad (romaine, field greens and/or baby lettuces) or Cole Slaw

During the late spring/summer months we'll just have berries for desert too!

HOWEVER, I have an awesome berry/yogurt pie if anyone would like the recipe....ask. It's a cold dessert for a HOT day!!

Spinach lasagna, with boxed pasta and sauce from a jar. I was going to make my own pasta, but I found a box in the pantry and I'm feeling lazy.

Sausage with onion and garlic is in the crockpot. Salad is bagged, since I didn't get to the farm over the weekend and they're closed on Mondays.

I have an awesome berry/yogurt pie if anyone would like the recipe....ask. It's a cold dessert for a HOT day!!

Silly girl. Asking if we'd like the recipe. That's funny. POST IT! :tongue_smilie:

I've already put together an egg casserole. French bread torn up, some chopped spinach, ham, swiss cheese, and onion, and eggs/milk. I'll serve it with a salad. I also like to do a sweet version with blueberries and serve with blueberry syrup or french toast flavors (cinnamon and vanilla) both with cream cheese in the casserole.

summer pasta

cook linguine separately

saute garlic in olive oil, add squash and other random veggies we have on hand. When that's almost done, throw in fresh basil and fresh chopped tomatoes. Toss with linguine and shredded mozzarella or shredded monterey jack. yummmmm. WE do this tons in the summer.

Stuffed shells out of the freezer. :001_smile: I cooked a few weeks ago and froze it all, and now life is good. :D Sorry, not much help.

Last night, we were starving for "real food" (we had dinner at a party at 3:00.) I cut chicken breasts in trips, cooked them quickly on high heat, then coate them in bbq sauce. We put them in a Slimwich "bun" with some shredded parmes and and mozzarella on top, and I added some grapes and carrot sticks. Yummy and easy!!

Vegetarian fajitas (three colors of bell pepper, onion, mushrooms, tomato, avocado, shredded cheese) and a big salad (red leaf lettuce, onions, cukes, and whatever else I find when I head to the fridge). I have a bowl of fresh berries (strawberries and blueberries) for dessert.

This is my meal plan for the rest of the month. It cost me about $200 for a family of 4. I make these items from scratch. The only convenience foods I use are store-bought bread & noodles, Jimmy Dean sausage and Bisquick. Usually, this menu would cost less but we didn't have a garden last year so the veggies are purchased. The beans, however, I canned last year. I usually sit down and make a 2 week menu and then make my grocery list from that. Breakfasts and lunches are do it yourself around here. Although, I do make breakfast a few times a week.

tonight:Spaghetti with green beans

Tuesday: Tilapia, Broccoli, White rice

Wed: Hamburger steak with gravy, beans, baked potatoes

Thurs: Leftovers

Friday: Tuna casserole

Sat: BBQ meatballs, skillet fries, corn

Sun: Augratin potatoes with ham

Mon: Cowboy Skillet meal (ground beef, chili beans, corn in gravy with biscuits on top)

Tues: Beef roast, potatoes, carrots

Wed: Sirloin tips in gravy (using leftover roast), brown rice, corn

Thur: Homemade pizza

Fri: Leftovers

Sat. Stoganoff with ground beef

Sun: Chicken & dumplings with carrots

Mon: Chili

Tues: Pork chops, potatoes, broccoli

Breakfast options (serve yourself):

Sausage Biscuit, Fruit & Toast, Oatmeal, Eggs/bacon, pancakes, breakfast burrito

I make these things ahead of time and freeze.

Lunch options: Sandwhich, burrito, quesodilla, leftovers

Deserts: snickerdoodles, chocolate chip cookies, Pride of Iowa cookies, pumpkin pie sqaures, apple crisp, peach cobbler, brownies

Edited by Cheryl in NM

Guest Dulcimeramy

We're having a little bit of round steak; sauteed bell peppers, sugar snap peas, onions and garlic; brown rice; salad.

I made these turkey sandwiches with arugula mayonnaise and homemade bread. I'm not a mayo fan at all, but I really like this one. It tastes very refreshing and summery, and is super easy to put together. Chicken/fruit salad sandwiches on croissants are also yummy.

On my to-make list are Lemony Orzo-Veggie Salad and Spinach, Chicken, & Pasta Salad with Teriyaki Vinaigrette. Both look filling and require minimal kitchen time.

I'm making chicken: cut up boneless skinless chicken into chunks, brown slightly in a frying pan, pour a can of enchilada sauce over, cover & turn to low, and simmer for appx. 30 mins. Top with chopped black olives and a bit of shredded sharp cheddar. Serve with refried beans (either homemade or not) and a few tortilla chips. Lettuce and tomato salad on the side.

I'm planning my menu for this week, and looking for new ideas. What're you making? :)

I have some poached chicken breasts that I'm going to shred up, season with some variety of Mexican-type seasoning, and make into burritos. I also have an avocado that needs using, so it'll be chicken burritos with guacamole (and cheese), and a big green salad.

For tomorrow, I have a flank steak to marinate, grill, slice thinly and serve over a salad of spinach, mushrooms, red onion and shredded carrots -- probably with a balsamic vinaigrette.

For Wednesday, I was going to make pizza with this gluten-free pizza crust that I found a while ago and which we all like better than regular crust. After the initial pre-bake, it goes so well on the grill. Yummy!

Edited by Audrey

Not tonight but a new, easy one I just learned -

coat a 13x9 in pan with cooking spray/ olive oil or equivalent non-stick stuff.

Put boneless, skinless chicken breasts in it.

Cover them with slices of swiss cheese.

Mix one can of cream-of-soemthing soup with one cup of white wine.

Pour mixture over chicken.

Pour 1-2 bags of stuffing over chicken

Bake covered at 325 for 1 hr.

Makes a great freezer meal.

Yes, that does freeze great. My recipe calls it "Pepperidge Farm Chicken" I guess because of the stuffing. Add some fresh broccoli or a salad to the side and it's a hit.

Peanut butter and honey spread on a flour tortilla and rolled up like a burrito plus carrots with ranch dressing. Leftover birthday cake for dessert. It is just too hot (heat index here was 103 in the shade with high humidity!) to cook.

Can you tell DH won't be home for dinner tonight?

I did the nasty and picked up that vile roasted chicken from the deli that my family loves so much :tongue_smilie:. I'm making garlic mashed potatoes, corn and a salad to go along with it. Tomorrow, though, I'm making those pinto beans in the crock pot that were mentioned earlier (didn't soak any ahead of time or that's what we'd be having tonight).

Campfire steak

Sirloin steak

4-5 potatoes

2 onions

carrots

You line a baking pan with aluminum foil. You season the steak. You slice everything and put on top. Then you season everything again. Cover with the foil and make a packet. Bake at 400 degrees for an hour or so.

Chicken salad sandwiches

on homemade bread (already made)

with potato something

and green salad

and pickles

and watermelon

in a picnic cooler.

Easiest of all, it's dh's night to make dinner, so I just get to put it all in the car and pack up the kids for an outdoor picnic at the rose garden. :)

Cat

A "vegetarian chili" (just a combo of pinto beans, tomatoes, peppers, onions, garlic, spices and corn -huh, it doesn't sound like chili in my head but it looks kind of like it when I type it out, lol!) with avacado and sour cream. Sweet cornbread on the side.

Spaghetti, salad, and homemade French bread tomorrow. Spicy chicken wraps on Wednesday.