Menu

What time do your dc wake up?

What time do your children wake up?  

1. 1. What time do your children wake up?

• 6:30 am or earlier
    • 7:00 am
    • 7:30 am
    • 8:00 am
    • 8:30 am
    • 9:00 am
    • 9:30 am
    • 10:00 am or later
    • whenever they want to
    • obligatory "other"

In the interest of making a schedule, I'm curious what time most people wake up their children. I realize this will vary by age of course, but I'm just curious where the trend lies.

My dd is 10, and she goes to bed at 10pm and I get her up (with some grumbling) at 8am. Do you think this is reasonable?

ETA: This is for during your school year. I let her sleep as late as she wants when we're not doing school and have nothing else pressing on the agenda.

Edited by GretaLynne

Greta, it's actually probably a tad too little sleep for a girl about to (or going) through puberty. 11-12 hours would probably be more appropriate. What time does she get up naturally? If you let her get up on her own for 3 or 4 weeks (time to get used to it), at the end of that, when would she be getting up? If you're not comfy with that time, you may need to move back bedtime.

Right now, in summer?

Dd17: bed averages..probably...3 a.m.? maybe?

gets up....around noon?

dda+b15: bed between 9 and 10

up at 5. Usually nap 2-3 hours between swim practices.

On Sunday sleep until lunchish.

ds14: bed 9

up 5.

School:

Dd17: bed-3-5 a.m.

up around noon

Ddab15: bed 10-11p.m.

up 4 a.m. on W

6 on MFS

8 on TH

1 or 2 p.m. on Sun.

usually nap a couple of hours daily.

Ds13: bed 11-12 p.m.

up around 8-8:30 a.m.

Btw, I think your hours are perfectly reasonable. You'll know if she needs more or less sleep. They let you know, believe me!!!

Edited by Lolly

I pretty much let mine wake up on their own, unless we have somewhere to be that day.

DS1 (12) usually wakes up around 8, DS2 (8) and the baby usually wake up sometime between 9 and 10.

But I'm not into strict schedules much, so it works for us. :)

I had to choose other. My children are not consistent. They wake up anywhere between 7:30 and 8:30, but it's rarely 7:30. These are the 3, 7, and 9 year olds. I don't wake them up unless we have someplace to be. Usually they wake me up. I'm a sleeper.

My 9 year old has been known to stay up until midnight reading in bed. I'm tempted to tell him to turn out the lights, but I waited so long for him to read that it seems wrong to come alone now and say "Stop reading". I let him continue to read as long as he functions in the morning without being a bear.

If your dd is grumbling, I would say she needs more sleep.

Greta, it's actually probably a tad too little sleep for a girl about to (or going) through puberty. 11-12 hours would probably be more appropriate. What time does she get up naturally? If you let her get up on her own for 3 or 4 weeks (time to get used to it), at the end of that, when would she be getting up? If you're not comfy with that time, you may need to move back bedtime.

Wow! Really? I had no idea she would still need that much sleep at this age. She will definitely sleep later (until between 9 and 10am) if I let her, though I haven't done that for 3 - 4 weeks on end, so I'm not sure if that's an accurate representation. But her father is NOT going to be agreeable to her sleeping that late, so I guess we need to move to an earlier bed time. 10pm is later than her ps friends go to bed, so maybe that's where we should make any changes.

Supposedly during the summer dd has a bedtime of 10p. During the school year it is 9p. For the last two nights we have both been up 'til after midnight playing so neither of us got up before 9:30a. During the school year we get up about 8-ish in order to start school by 9a

DD has no schedule, never has. I make sure she gets enough sleep, so bedtime is usually based around what time we have to get up the next morning, or if we have to.

This summer I'll be working on getting a more set schedule, since I have classes 5 days a week in the fall and will have to be on campus by 9 every day. I'm aiming for bedtime at 9, wake up at 7.

DS is 1 and right now he's out between 7:30 and 8pm and he doesn't wake up until 7:30am on a pretty consistent basis. He usually starts trying to wake himself up at 7 but he drifts in an out for about half an hour. He'd actually probably sleep for another hour but DH is up and moving around by 7:30 and ds' greatest fear in his small life is that he will sleep through daddy-time in the morning, so as soon as DH is up then ds is up too.

During the school year, the older two kids can wake up whenever they want as long as they are up, dressed, chores done, and fed themselves by 9am. The younger two can wake up whenever they want which is usually before I want to be up...as early as 5:30-6:00am.:glare: I'm not a morning person.

Ds has been sleeping until 10am most days this summer, all two weeks of it. Normally he'll get up between 8:00 and 9:30. His need for sleep has exponentially increased this year. When he is in the midst of a growth spurt he needs 11-12 hours. he has fallen asleep in school before.

I may be weird but I think that is LATE for a 10yo!

Mine are young - go to sleep at 8pm ish and wake up w/the sun. They are to stay in their bed though so I get them up at 7am. If they sleep in, I certainly let them sleep.

Friends of mine have a 9, 11, 12, and 13 yo and they go to sleep at 8pm (on a REALLY flexible schedule b/c of sports or other extra curriculars) and wake up with the sun. I can see how some may think this is extreme but I went to bed at 9:30 when I was in hs (MY schedule, not my parents) and 10pm in college (generally)...

why does a 10 yo need to be awake that late? what on earth could be going on?

My

• 11yr. 5:30a.m.
  • 10yr. 6:00 or 6:30
  • 9yr really does try hard to wake at 6:40
  • 8yr. 7:00
  • my 6 and 7yr. need their beauty sleep. Usually up between 7:00 and 9:30 ;)

My 10yr. dd is very consistent and disciplined with going to bed at 8:30 or 9:00.

Now that school is out and they only have a few subjects left they are not waking as early. Once school is back in session they'll start waking early again.

I may be weird but I think that is LATE for a 10yo!

Mine are young - go to sleep at 8pm ish and wake up w/the sun. They are to stay in their bed though so I get them up at 7am. If they sleep in, I certainly let them sleep.

Friends of mine have a 9, 11, 12, and 13 yo and they go to sleep at 8pm (on a REALLY flexible schedule b/c of sports or other extra curriculars) and wake up with the sun. I can see how some may think this is extreme but I went to bed at 9:30 when I was in hs (MY schedule, not my parents) and 10pm in college (generally)...

My dh gets home from work at 5:30pm. We get done with dinner at 6 - 6:30, clean up and the girls have baths / showers. When all that's done its usually about 7:30pm. My dh and I read aloud to the girls for about 30 min. and then we just hang out till 9pm. Sometimes we watch something on tv, but we ususally just talk or play games. At 9pm they go to their beds and read for 30 min and then lights out at 9:30. They're asleep by 10pm. I've never thought it was too late and I think having time with dad is important.

My dh gets home from work at 5:30pm. We get done with dinner at 6 - 6:30, clean up and the girls have baths / showers. When all that's done its usually about 7:30pm. My dh and I read aloud to the girls for about 30 min. and then we just hang out till 9pm. Sometimes we watch something on tv, but we ususally just talk or play games. At 9pm they go to their beds and read for 30 min and then lights out at 9:30. They're asleep by 10pm. I've never thought it was too late and I think having time with dad is important.

I TOTALLY think time with dad is upmost! I was just saying 10 seems late...to me...

In the interest of making a schedule, I'm curious what time most people wake up their children. I realize this will vary by age of course, but I'm just curious where the trend lies.

My dd is 10, and she goes to bed at 10pm and I get her up (with some grumbling) at 8am. Do you think this is reasonable?

ETA: This is for during your school year. I let her sleep as late as she wants when we're not doing school and have nothing else pressing on the agenda.

This is different from the question in your title. *sigh* I've never had that pleasure. Mine naturally wake up at about 4:30AM. :svengo:

Wow, your kids stay up late! Indy is in bed around 8:30pm, which is hard now that the sun doesn't go down until 11pm and gets up around 8:30am. There are mornings he's up as early as 7am, but usually he sleeps for a full 12 hours (bless his sweet heart). During the winter he's usually in bed at 8pm at the latest, but the sun is down here at 4pm, so he's ready. Even then though, he's not up until 8 or 8:30am. I try to get school going around 9:30 at the latest.

My children get 12 hours of sleep a night. Sometimes only 11 hours.

If they get up at 7am then that means they went to bed at 7pm... which always raises eyebrows of the people I share that with. But my kids always are healthy and able to pay attention with no behavior problems associated with lack of sleep.

I have two early to bed and two early to rise---so with all four of them keeping each other up late and waking each other up early---They go to sleep WAY too late (9:30-10:00) and wake up WAY too early (6:30-7:00) I have yet to find a sleeping arangement/punishment/reward to change this.

Lara

Obligatory other. On school nights they are in bed between 9 and 9:30. Normally asleep by 10. When they get up. Anywhere between 6:30 and 8:30. My dd does not seem to need as much sleep as my ds. If they are not up by 8:30 (and that is really unusual) I will wake them up so we can get our day started. The other day I let my ds sleep until almost 9:30. He seemed to really need the sleep. I would have let him keep sleeping but we had somehwere to be.

All my kids are in bed around 830 (sometimes I go as late as 9 for DD). The three boys are up between 630-7, and DD is up by force at 8 during the school year. This summer so far, we are up at 7 though as the boys have swim lessons 4 days a week and DD has a morning gymnastics practice on the 5th day. I thought summer was supposed to be for sleeping in, but my kids' schedule didn't get the memo.

During school my 12 yr old is usually in bed by 10:00 and the 9 yr olds are in bed by 9:00 to 9:30. I don't wake them in the morning but they're usually all up by 8:30. If it were much later than that, I would move bedtimes up a little bit. My main concern is that they're getting enough sleep.

I don't think that's too late. We all have different internal clocks and tend to raise our kids the same way. We are all night owls around here. We usually don't even return home from sports until 9:00 or so. DD7 goes to bed right away, but the others stay up another hour or two.

We have a pretty established bed time, although nights they have karate or go to Wed. night prayer meeting makes it later.

My ds is the early bird and usually gets up between 6:30AM and 7AM. My dd gets up around 7:30AM but, if it's been a later night she may sleep in until 9AM.

I have some medical issues and my dr. has me sleeping until 9AM so the dc have morning assignments that they complete until it's time for me to get up. My goal is to start school by 10:30AM but, sometimes we don't get started until 11AM.

Last year we counted days so it didn't much matter about keeping track of time but, this year I decided to count hours because I think we'll be at 900 hours much earlier than if we count 180 days. So, the dc keep track of when they start their morning assignments and when they finish so we can add it to their daily school hours. We've been doing this system for about two weeks and it seems to work pretty well. The dc are loving keeping track of their time. I think it makes them feel more grown-up and important since they have some responsibility for part of their time log.

:lol: Well, nothing that unusual, I promise. Often, she and I are watching Food Network together. :D Sometimes she's playing video games on my iPod. These are things she doesn't do during the day, so it's just a nice, relaxing, goof-off kind of time. My "natural" bedtime is 11-ish, though I can't do that because of dh's schedule. I have to force myself to go to bed earlier in order to be up when he needs me to be. So I guess I've let dd tend in the same direction as my natural inclination. But dh would like to see her more like him - he's in bed by 9 and up at 5!

This is different from the question in your title.

You're right! I didn't notice my inconsistency there. Sorry!

*sigh* I've never had that pleasure. Mine naturally wake up at about 4:30AM. :svengo:

Oh my. I think I'd keep them up later. I am *not* a good mom at 4:30am! :lol:

We are an "other." I leave for the gym around 5:30 a.m. DSS has to be out the door for the bus by 7:15 a.m. DD4 usually is awake by the time I get home (around 7:30 a.m.) but I'm not sure when she actually gets up. DS8 wakes up when I drag him out of bed at 8:00 a.m.

My 8yo wakes herself up at 7 (I'm usually awake, but not out of bed until 7:30). All but my oldest are usually up by 8. My 10-yo often sleeps until 9 (or sometimes later). I usually wake her up if she's still asleep at 9 so that she has a chance of finishing everything she needs to do that day. She's a night owl.