Menu

S/O: Men dressing modestly, or why I opress my DH

I confess. I do my best to control how DH dresses. I completely and unashamedly oppress him when I notice the following:

1) He sometimes forgets he is a middle-aged Scot and tries to wear rocker-skinny jeans. It looks like a barrel balanced on short toothpicks. We are not going to discuss the mid-region.

2) Now that we are going to a Greek church he thinks it is cute to unbutton his shirt half way and tell people he is Greek. It is not cute. At all.

3) He really dislikes advertising for companies, so if I buy him a "label" item (from a discount store, of course) he will mark it out with a sharpie. We have many dress shirts with marked out polo ponies on them... on the *front*.

I love this man, and even though he would honestly and truly dress like Steven Tyler or Andre Benjamin for every occasion I will keep him around.

I always *did* have a crush on Steven Tyler...

(this is not to diminish the very real issues discussed on the other thread, just being silly)

EDITED TO ADD: Please forgive the typo in the title :)

Edited by happygrrl

I guess my dh is not so modest about the house. ;)

My dh works around the house without a shirt. He'll work in the yard without a shirt. He's a carpenter, he's my hunky carpenter. Add the tool belt to the ensemble of denim shorts and whoa! :D I told him he could charge more if he went to work that way. He didn't take my suggestion. :lol:

(just being silly too)

Edited by elegantlion

I'm glad to hear that dressing issues are a common problem with middle-aged Scotsmen, and that mine is not unique in this area. (He actually took to reading GQ once in a while a few years ago, and his fashion sense did improve.)

My father was career Navy and used to uniforms. When he retired, he had my mom code his clothes as far as what went with what, because he had no clue. (Think Garanimals.)

LOL, I know MANY women who "oppress" their dh's by telling them how to dress. We won't discuss how my father would pick me up from school wearing jogging shorts, a Polo shirt, dress socks and tennis shoes. :eek:

Worse, how about v-neck t-shirt, shorts, black dress socks and dress shoes?

And that's my dh!

:blink:

Of course I do love him. :001_tt1:

Even if this is what we have looked like the last couple of days with the house.

:boxing_smiley:

:tongue_smilie:

I have been known to throw away my husband's Sunday t-shirts (you know, the ones that are completely holey), but other than that, he's a pretty decent dresser, thank goodness. Now that he carries concealed nearly all the time (department policy encourages officers to carry off duty), he looks a little more schlumpy than he used to, as he wears an untucked shirt to cover his piece, but usually he's a nice t-shirt or polo shirt, tucked in w/ a belt kind of guy.

Worse, how about v-neck t-shirt, shorts, black dress socks and dress shoes?

And that's my dh!

:blink:

Of course I do love him. :001_tt1:

Even if this is what we have looked like the last couple of days with the house.

:boxing_smiley:

:tongue_smilie:

I hope you and your dh get some peace about the new house soon!

And, it just occurred to me: My father is a middle-aged Scotsman, too!

I also must confess the sin of oppression of my dh. I have taken complete control of his wardrobe, at every stage and in every way. I choose and purchase all of his clothing and shoes, I clean them as needed, I pick out what he will wear each day and have my dd iron it, and I scold him for any attempted deviations from my plans (i.e., don't even think about wearing that shirt with those pants).

More than anything else, my dh doesn't like shopping, doing laundry, or ironing, so I thought I was doing him a favor. In light of recent threads, I'm wondering if it's time to repent, and allow him to take back his manhood and do his own laundry.

:lol:

(this is not to diminish the very real issues discussed on the other thread, just being silly)

Ah. But there is a difference between trying to regulate modesty thru dress, and correcting fashion horrors like color-blindness, plumbers' cleavage, and black dress socks with sneakers.

Ah. But there is a difference between trying to regulate modesty thru dress, and correcting fashion horrors like color-blindness, plumbers' cleavage, and black dress socks with sneakers.

True. And thankfully I am past the point where I take his fashion sense (or that of my kids) as a reflection on me. My parents were always so cool about letting me experiment with dress that I hope to pass that along to my family members.

Although.....There was this one time... I went to Spain for a few weeks, and Dh was on his own with the house and kids. When he picked me up at the airport he was wearing a special outfit to welcome me home. Skin tight jeans, tennis shoes, and some sort of Jimi Hendrix shirt that laced up the front. Oh my! Fortunately he attributed my speechless wonder to jet lag. It was then that I knew I had to step in.

True. And thankfully I am past the point where I take his fashion sense (or that of my kids) as a reflection on me. My parents were always so cool about letting me experiment with dress that I hope to pass that along to my family members.

Although.....There was this one time... I went to Spain for a few weeks, and Dh was on his own with the house and kids. When he picked me up at the airport he was wearing a special outfit to welcome me home. Skin tight jeans, tennis shoes, and some sort of Jimi Hendrix shirt that laced up the front. Oh my! Fortunately he attributed my speechless wonder to jet lag. It was then that I knew I had to step in.

I have 2 occasional problems- black socks with white sneakers, and sweatshirts that look like they are hand-me-downs from our toddler worn in the middle of summer. :001_huh:

I offer suggestions if he asks. If it is for a job interview, I offer suggestions without being asked. His ability to coordinate different colors is somewhat lacking. I never tell him what to wear, and I've never thrown anything out without asking him. I've had momentary daydreams about his 30 yr. old, red, ripped jacket disappearing, but I quickly come back to reality.

Mine is a T-shirt and jeans kind of guy. He would wear flannels when working in a cabinet shop though (Mennonites see t-shirts, even with writing on it, as underwear :shrug: ). He's a button down dress shirt and either dockers or good black jeans for church. He doesn't own a suit and suggesting that he wear a tie is akin to asking if he wants a public hanging; it's just plain torture. No problem with shoes or socks though. Hubby is Scot-Irish-Cherokee.

Oh, and he did take a sharpie to one of his polo shirts...he couldn't stand the embroidered Tigger on it any longer.

Oh goodness, men in kilts! Men look awesome in kilts! I got photos of the Blackwatch Guard and they looked SHARP!

Edited by mommaduck

:smilielol5::smilielol5::smilielol5:Thank you for the tears running down my face laugh. I can so "see" this without even having met your husband. And since you know where I live and went to college, you'll understand my husband's original "Country Fair" - not to be confused with a county fair-attire. You know, the brown, orange, and yellow Mountain Fever t-shirt, red, white, and blue plaid flannel shirt, holey jeans, rag wool socks and Birkenstocks. The first time I saw him in a suit, I think I tripped on my tongue.

Somewhat sadly, those years are gone and it's all my fault. I have never oppressed him but I do routinely buy his subscription to Esquire magazine. I told him that the writing in it was excellent.;)

:lol:Where in the world did the man find a lace-up shirt?

I confess. I do my best to control how DH dresses. I completely and unashamedly oppress him when I notice the following:

1) He sometimes forgets he is a middle-aged Scot and tries to wear rocker-skinny jeans. It looks like a barrel balanced on short toothpicks. We are not going to discuss the mid-region.

2) Now that we are going to a Greek church he thinks it is cute to unbutton his shirt half way and tell people he is Greek. It is not cute. At all.

3) He really dislikes advertising for companies, so if I buy him a "label" item (from a discount store, of course) he will mark it out with a sharpie. We have many dress shirts with marked out polo ponies on them... on the *front*.

I love this man, and even though he would honestly and truly dress like Steven Tyler or Andre Benjamin for every occasion I will keep him around.

I always *did* have a crush on Steven Tyler...

EDITED TO ADD: Please forgive the typo in the title :)

:lol::lol:

:smilielol5::smilielol5::smilielol5:Thank you for the tears running down my face laugh. I can so "see" this without even having met your husband. And since you know where I live and went to college, you'll understand my husband's original "Country Fair" - not to be confused with a county fair-attire. You know, the brown, orange, and yellow Mountain Fever t-shirt, red, white, and blue plaid flannel shirt, holey jeans, rag wool socks and Birkenstocks. The first time I saw him in a suit, I think I tripped on my tongue.

Somewhat sadly, those years are gone and it's all my fault. I have never oppressed him but I do routinely buy his subscription to Esquire magazine. I told him that the writing in it was excellent.;)

:lol:Where in the world did the man find a lace-up shirt?

Believe it or not, my flight was delayed and he went shopping at the Red Light on H. street. I spent many delusional weeks hoping he was being ironic.

...and you mentioning country fair made me snort my wine, so we're even. :)

Edited by happygrrl

Demin jacket.

It mysteriously disappeared after a move.... ;) But I plead the 5th...

Finally, after about six years, I pulled girlfriend rank and threw away dh's grey tracksuit pants. Think grey, stained and the elastic so stretched he had to keep an almost constant hold to keep them up. It was not just a fashion issue, it was a modesty issue!!

There is a horrible jacket to match and I'm just dying for the zip to give out so I can throw that away too.

Heheh,

Rosie

Dh has a Utillikilt! Gotta agree with you there, stumble material for sure!

I wish my (also Scottish) husband would get one. I guess it might clash with the Glock, though. I wonder if Utilikilts come with hidden gun pockets like 5.11s. I got DH some really nice dress khaki 5.11s with all manner of hidden compartments.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

This thread is hysterical! I'm so glad to come here and read it after JUST informing my carpenter husband AGAIN that we MUST go shopping for graduation because he will NEITHER wear his tool belt, NOR show his hiney while walking his salutatorian daughter across the stage!

The man owns nothing but jeans.

My husband is German and French. There is some kind of war of cultures going on inside him that manifests in Scottish-type fashion sins.

Once at work, out of the corner of my eye I saw the flash-flash-flash of white ankles as a man in highwaters, black shoes and white socks strode across the quad. My first thought was, what the H-E-Double-Toothpicks was his wife / girlfriend thinking, letting him out of the house in that get up? And then, of course, the awful truth dawned on me.

But then, this is a man that still has a Nehru shirt in his closet. The kind with embroidery and ruffles.

My husband is German and French. There is some kind of war of cultures going on inside him that manifests in Scottish-type fashion sins.

Once at work, out of the corner of my eye I saw the flash-flash-flash of white ankles as a man in highwaters, black shoes and white socks strode across the quad. My first thought was, what the H-E-Double-Toothpicks was his wife / girlfriend thinking, letting him out of the house in that get up? And then, of course, the awful truth dawned on me.

But then, this is a man that still has a Nehru shirt in his closet. The kind with embroidery and ruffles.

Brilliant! :lol:

I am not getting the Scottish thing but if you mean knee high socks with sandals and holey frayed shorts while working around the house,thats my DH

He usually is a tee shirt/jean guy. But I hate his tee shirts they all have Harley this or that. Yeah he has a Harley and the leather chaps the whole bad boy thing and looks good but the d#mn tee shirts all the time get on my nerves

I wish I could oppress his dress but after getting rid of his parachute pants when we first got together, the battle is just not worth it:tongue_smilier:

I guess my dh is not so modest about the house. ;)

My dh works around the house without a shirt. He'll work in the yard without a shirt. He's a carpenter, he's my hunky carpenter. Add the tool belt to the ensemble of denim shorts and whoa! :D I told him he could charge more if he went to work that way. He didn't take my suggestion. :lol:

(just being silly too)

Yep. Love that look. I also love, love, love a flannel shirt on my man. Today I noticed that he was mending fence in an old favourite but it was all unbuttoned. Very nice look, but I wondered why (because I've never seen him go unbuttoned before). So I asked him why and he glared at me at said, "well it's my favourite old blue-y and the last time I wore it you ripped all the buttons off!"

Oops. :D

I am not getting the Scottish thing but if you mean knee high socks with sandals and holey frayed shorts while working around the house,thats my DH

He usually is a tee shirt/jean guy. But I hate his tee shirts they all have Harley this or that. Yeah he has a Harley and the leather chaps the whole bad boy thing and looks good but the d#mn tee shirts all the time get on my nerves

I wish I could oppress his dress but after getting rid of his parachute pants when we first got together, the battle is just not worth it:tongue_smilier:

I think the socks and sandals is a German thing.

My father was career Navy and used to uniforms. When he retired, he had my mom code his clothes as far as what went with what, because he had no clue. (Think Garanimals.)

My grandfather, also career Navy, wore tan uniforms until the day he died.

Now my husband is a different matter. We have differences of opinion as to what he should wear, and lately he's taken to wearing a type of shirt that I HATE which is worse than the previous shirts that he wore that I hated too. Oh, and the man won't accept that an ugly black and dark gray bowling shirt (what he chose as a uniform shirt for his company) does not match the tan or navy chinos that he wears them with.

Well, but knowing him, I'll bet he looks good in it.:D Ruffles? Wow!

(he was in the Navy at one point), but the real reason was because he was color blind. He actually REALLY welcomed my helping him so he wouldn't go around totally mismatched.

Jean,

My dh was raised by his mom and stepdad. His stepdad was a big-shot business man. When my dh was a teen his stepdad took him into his closet and taught him what color shoes match which colors of suits, how to match your belt, the proper way to tell if your socks match, etc. So, despite going to military school and being a career military guy, he can dress himself in civilian clothes.

He has great fashion sense, and is often accused of being "metro." ;) He gets downright offended when people ask him if his wife dressed him. :lol:

I'm glad to hear that dressing issues are a common problem with middle-aged Scotsmen, and that mine is not unique in this area. (He actually took to reading GQ once in a while a few years ago, and his fashion sense did improve.)

My hubby was in the Navy and is now retired. He is also red/green color blind so we use the Garanimal approach as well. :tongue_smilie:

My DH prefers black. I don't think he ever entirely grew out of his mod teen stage. You can't get him in jeans, though. Black slacks, polos or dress shirts (preferably with Asian-style collars). He recently branched out and got a few different color shirts, including some t-shirts with button collars. Until recently, the only non-black in his wardrobe were Dbacks jerseys, and those were still grey and/or mostly black. He doesn't own any jeans, and only wears shorts or workout pants and a Tshirt to go to the gym or sit around the house.

He would totally wear a utilikilt if I got him one. At least, he's said so in the past.:tongue_smilie:

If anything, DH if he was going to control my wardrobe would probably get me to wear things that weren't so modest. He definitely has better fashion sense than me and DW#2 put together (she owns multiple Faded Glory T-shirts of two different cuts and several different colors, and khaki shorts/jeans, and that's most all of her wardrobe.) I vaccilate between jeans-and-a long sleeved FG shirt under a T-shirt and long skirts with blouses or long sleeved Tshirts and, yes, I own a denim jumper.:lol:

My dad is the boots-and-jeans sort. In his old age he's finally taken to wearing sneakers for more than just working out. If they bury him in a tie it'd just be wrong, he doesn't even own a suit, just a sport coat to accompany his jeans with MAYBE a bolo is as dressed up as he's ever willingly gotten. He didn't even wear a suit and tie for either of his weddings. In high school he dressed like the Fonz, including hairstyle, I've seen his senior yearbook photo.:D

DH hates to think about clothes. So he travels with a stack of black shirts, light pants, a lightweight v-neck sweater, and a classic blazer. Every other thing he owns is for backpacking, working in the yard, or is a uniform.

His closet looks hilarious.

a

I wish my (also Scottish) husband would get one. I guess it might clash with the Glock, though. I wonder if Utilikilts come with hidden gun pockets like 5.11s. I got DH some really nice dress khaki 5.11s with all manner of hidden compartments.

I believe they will make a completely custom one if you ask.

5.11s are the only pants my son will wear - that's funny.

a

Am I the only one whose husband has a better fashion sense than I do? (He doesn't have even a touch of Scottish blood. But I do!)

No Scottish blood in either of us, but my hubby has two double wardrobes full of his clothes- I have one kid's wardrobe. He collects clothes big time, and he wears them well. I sometimes give an opinion on colour combinations or something like that if asked, but I have never felt the need to dress my husband at all.