Menu

Do you like homeschooling?

I'm not asking if you are glad that your kids are home with your or prefer that they get the education you are providing or anything about the kids. I am asking about YOU. Do you like the asking of homeschooling your kids? Not the planning. Not the being able to spend more time with them. Not the researching or reading or anything else. The actual teaching of your kids.

I am asking because I am facing a major change in my work and trying to reorganize and re-prioritize everything in the process. I know why I homeschool. I love spending time with my kids. I think they are getting a better education than they would receive at the local ps. But..... I am just not sure how I feel about the teaching. On the whole, I would probably rather just swing with them under the tree and read a book - mostly. Maybe I'm just tired.

Not particularly, no.

I don't mind the teaching, and my kids are easy personalities to teach (thus far, knock on wood). Much of our teaching is general life learning type of stuff that I'd likely be teaching even if they weren't homeschooled. But that's starting to change as they get older, you know? And I'm not particularly thrilled by the idea of teaching subjects I didn't care to learn about the first go 'round when I was the student. I'm not wild on the idea that so much of my free time is spent re-learning to the point of being able to teach it to my own kids; like you said, I'd rather spend that time just being Generic Mom. Or persuing my own interests - there's a thought!

But I know it's good for my kids, and I love having this time with them - in that sense, it's best for our family right now that we homeschool. By default, that means I have to do the teaching LOL. I don't love it, never had any desire to grow up to do it ... it's just something I do because it has to be done :)

Not particularly, no.

I don't mind the teaching, and my kids are easy personalities to teach (thus far, knock on wood). Much of our teaching is general life learning type of stuff that I'd likely be teaching even if they weren't homeschooled. But that's starting to change as they get older, you know? And I'm not particularly thrilled by the idea of teaching subjects I didn't care to learn about the first go 'round when I was the student. I'm not wild on the idea that so much of my free time is spent re-learning to the point of being able to teach it to my own kids; like you said, I'd rather spend that time just being Generic Mom. Or persuing my own interests - there's a thought!

But I know it's good for my kids, and I love having this time with them - in that sense, it's best for our family right now that we homeschool. By default, that means I have to do the teaching LOL. I don't love it, never had any desire to grow up to do it ... it's just something I do because it has to be done :)

:iagree:

Yes, it is actually a part of who I am and I do enjoy it, thoroughly. It isn't easy, but definitely worth giving up my job recently to finally homeschool with my whole heart. I was the kid who asked the teacher for all the extra dittos at the end of the school year so I could sit on my porch and teach whoever in the neighborhood wanted to do school in the summer :lol:

Somedays, not so much. :D I'll talk to a friend whose children are in ps, and they seem to have so much freedom and confidence as they hand the reins off to someone else. I feel such a huge responsibility for these kids. Somedays it seems like it would be such a relief to just send them off to school. Oh, but wouldn't I miss them!

Sometimes yes. Mostly when I am teaching something I am interested in. BUt I have been doing this for 15 years. I have 5.5 years more if my youngest doesn't do 9th grade next year and it really seems like she will. So yes, I am tired of it too. BUt the end is in sight and I think I can perservere 4.5 years more.

I am already thinking of what I will do when they both graduate and have decided that one thing I will do is judge. Judge debate and speech and maybe some other things too. The groups are always looking for judges and I would be happy to help homeschoolers once my kids are grown. I think I will also volunteer for CASA and probably become a museum or park guide of some kind. THen I will also have to go visit my kids.

Hmm. This is an interesting question! I think my answer is... I don't teach. I feel like we learn together, discussing and sharing, and I do quite enjoy that. I facilitate, in terms of helping them get access to things, and I like the 'work' I need to do to make that happen (like hang out here!), so yes, I enjoy that too. But I really never feel like a teacher in the sense of this being something separate from my role as mother.

I don't feel much pressure around what my kids should learn, which gives me a lot of freedom to do whatever we want to do, so I jump on things that are interesting to *me*. That, and my school age kid is so keen on just about anything that there's no conflict at all from her perspective. That combination means most things are met with excitement, or dropped without issue.

So, I wonder if it's about what you're teaching? Is it not a fit for your personal learning style, or not something that generally interests you?

I was a teacher (PS) for about 10 years before kids and I truly loved working with children (hated the system though, and what they asked Teachers to do - or not do in some cases).

But....... on some days, it's more challenging to enjoy it at home with my own kids. Yes, I treasure the moments I get to see that I otherwise would not (if they were in PS) but the actual *task* of teaching wears me down on many days. I also *occasionally* think maybe my life would be simpler if I didn't have to worry about all these details.

But...... at the end of the day when I might be feeling kind of "low", I think "who am I kidding??" I would worry about the details no matter where they were and it would be worse if they were in PS. And my memories of the Teaching end of it all - OMG! Bad (again, the system, not the kids) So, I manage to snap back to reality and am suddenly refreshed and ready for tomorrow! Any "bad" (and it's really not *that* bad when it's bad) is truly worth it 1 million times over for me. I remind myself that it's important not to get bogged down in the daily details, and step back and appreciate the big picture.

That being said, I do NOT think it is for everyone, but those it IS for, will know it at the end of the day when they consider the alternatives!

So, I wonder if it's about what you're teaching? Is it not a fit for your personal learning style, or not something that generally interests you?

Right now. Long division and Grammar.

I don't know.

It is more of a philosophical question right now. It is winter. We are stuck inside too much. I've been homeschooling for 8 years and have a rising kindergartner. I work full-time. One of my IRL homeschool-mom friends put her kids in school this year because of financial reasons then saw the progress they made in school and decided that she must not have been doing a good job.

I love reading with my kids, teaching them to read, playing with them, discussing ideas with them. I know I can homeschool a kid happily into college. I just don't really like assigning work, correcting work, doing long division or precalculus or chemistry. I don't really want to hatch more butterflies and learn all about metamorphosis. I don't really need to learn my multiplication tables again or practice cursive anymore. I have two more to teach the quadratic equation to. I also need to teach them to not split infinitives. :)

But I love homeschooling my kids. I love that they are homeschooled.

I thought I did. Recently I started wondering why I couldn't wait to get through the day. At that point I realized that I like the idea of homeschooling, but I don't really enjoy teaching. For me it has a lot to do with the kids. They tend to "fight" me. They would rather do their own thing and not have assignments. They make it a discipline issue and then it's not as enjoyable as it could be.

Karen, how about trying a different approach to homeschooling for a while, like unschooling? You could do that while you decide if it's time to put the younger kids in school, or whatever you decide may be the next step in your life.

I'm a relaxed homeschooler myself. I mostly just wait until the kids are ready to teach themselves things, and then I provide the materials. I do help if they request it, and I teach dd Spanish, but mostly I try to respect them and stay out of their way, so to speak. I really love homeschooling this way. To be honest, I think it's probably the only way I can do it long term. Just my experience, of course!:)

I love it. I was born to teach. I started tutoring in 4th grade. I spent part of my day, every day, in the first grade class tutoring. I continued helping classmates through junior high and high school. I sometimes teach a workshop at a 12 step retreat I attend twice a year. And now I get to teach my kids every day. Sometimes I get excited about something and my kids think I'm weird.

I love it, too. I really do. There are frustrations at times, to be sure, but I am happiest when I am teaching/learning with my children. It's actually therapeutic for me. Like a previous poster, I was the type of kid who created worksheets during the summer and tried to make my brother and cousins complete them! I always wanted to teach, but I hated teaching at a public school. Now that I am homeschooling, I know that this was what I was born to do.

Now, I have only been homeschooling for two years. Perhaps I will experience more frustration when my children reach pre-calculus!

I think this is the time of year when EVERY homeschooling parent, especially moms, start questioning SOME aspect of their homeschooling journey: when will the sun shine again? are my kids learning what they need to be learning? how badly am I doing? do I need to change curriculum for next year? will I have money for books next year or should I order now? etc. etc.

I don't always enjoy the PLANNING but MOST of the time I enjoy the whole journey (just usually at a later date!)

I'll be stopping home educating at the end of August. I really don't know how I feel about that. I will certainly miss their presence and watching them learn. I will miss the intellectual challenge of it. Will I miss that actual teaching? I'm not sure. I like it fine but I don't know if I'll miss it.

Laura

There are parts I like teaching. I love teaching my kids how to read. I enjoy discussing books and even teaching writing is ok. I don't mind teaching basic math, and it can even be fun. But overall I am not fond of teaching. I would rather just spend time with them and be mom. My oldest is going to be 16 in 2 weeks and my youngest is 5. I will be honest and say that I wish there was an alternative. I'm tired of trying to teach them everything. There are so many things and so many levels that I never feel like I'm doing a good job.

If there was a free, or very low cost, good private school in town I would consider it, especially for highschool, maybe even middle school.

I enjoy the younger years better. I never thought I would. I always thought I would enjoy highschool more, and while I like the subjects better there is more to teach and do. I love that my younger kids have more free time and no busy work. I love that they are not at school watching "Sponge Bob" (I'm not kidding about that :glare:) I love that they are getting a solid foundation. And teaching the younger years is not that hard :001_smile:.

My commitment to my kids and their education is what keeps me going.

The older they get, the more I enjoy the teaching aspect of it. Probably because there's less OF it than there is in the early elem. years. Teaching 2+2, or C-A-T is not my idea of fun. But, with the older girls, we go over the subject, they read the information themselves, we discuss the information, and they do their work. It's less hand-holding and more discussion, which is right up my alley. I now have time to clean the house while they're doing their school work, since I don't have to sit.right.next.to.them.answering.dozens.of.questions anymore.

I wasn't sure we'd continue hs'ing through high school, but now that my oldest is jr high age, I'm pretty confident that we'll continue all the way through. I'm thoroughly enjoying myself now, on most days. :D

Edited by orangearrow

I LOVE the teaching aspect of it. Love it. Except when my son is being obstinate. I love reading SOTW to them, I love looking things up online when we don't know the answer to something, I love it when they "get it" with math, I love seeing them grow as readers.

I also love researching and selecting curriculum. I even sort of like correcting their work.

The part I don't love is trying to juggle everyone's schedules, dealing with bad attitudes, keeping up on the housework, the constant reminders to DD6 to correct her pencil grip, etc. I think I would make an excellent governess. :)

I enjoy teaching DS. There is nothing better than working on something with him and watching the light go on. Or having him teach me something new.

I also teach at a comm. college so I have the best of both worlds. I get to work on multiple subjects one-on-one with DS and then go teach one subject in a group setting, which satisfies that desire to lecture and use powerpoints.

I totally love every aspect about it. I only have one five year old daughter that is super easy to work with, and we're just getting into our second year of homeschooling, but I imagine things can only get more fun and interesting.

The teaching - check!

The learning right along with her - check!

The researching curriculums - check

Correcting her pencil grip 10x a day, and then having it all pay off - check

Etc...

Yes!!! But I don't teach much anymore as my dd wants to learn things on her own. I miss teaching her as I was able to learn so much too. I must admit I also miss the freedom of the elementary years. We got through school so much quicker and had most of the day free for field trips and all the other great learning experiences.

At this point yes. I'm started to feel challenged in the teaching because I'm having to learn more things ahead of ds. I also know that if we weren't homeschooling I'd be stuck at some insipid job that I wouldn't want. I remember playing school as a child and "teaching" from all these antique books we had. While I wouldn't want to be a classroom teacher I do enjoy teaching my own. Grading things, not so much.

I don't particularly - however I think it's mainly because of my ds. He is my extremely contrary, challenging child and thinks school is a complete waste of time. He can be easily frustrated by his assignments (he's used to things coming easily to him, so when he actually has to work, or gets things wrong, he doesn't respond well). It's very wearing and tiring and difficult for me some days, and I don't enjoy it.

My dd, on the other hand, may not particularly like some things she's assigned, but her bad moods about it are few and far between usually. I think if it was just her, I might enjoy teaching most days.

I really do love it, even after all these years. That said, I went through a period of not loving it when we were new to AZ and still trying to get our bearings, I was pregnant and then distracted by a newborn, and the boy wasn't yet attending preschool. Teaching was just one more chore. So I love it when I can focus for at least 3 full hours each day, but I hate it when I have to do it in broken snatches of time throughout the day.

So I suppose you should ask yourself whether you've always felt this way, or if this is temporary burnout because of other life circumstances.

Barb

I enjoy it most of the time. I have been experiencing some jealousy over my quilting friend who dutifully carts her children off to school, then gets to sew all morning. I can't remember the last time I got to spend all morning sewing. So I try to imagine what life would be like if I signed up all three for school next year, would I quilt all day? Would it be best? Is it selfish? I don't know. Today it is cold and raining and the kids have been separated because they were at each other, so probably not the best day to consider alternatives :).

I do love teaching. Up until very recently, I was busy working part time, and our homeschool life was more chaotic. That was difficult. Now that I have the time to focus on what we're doing, I'm enjoying it a lot more. I find that I'm doing more w/them as they get older b/c I have the time. So, now we spend most of our day snuggled up on the couch w/me teaching them a variety of subjects. This I love. The grading-not so much. The nightly or last minute preparation-not so much. And my kids are much happier this way as well.

Laura

Honestly...not really. All that other stuff you mentioned, yes to it all, but actually sitting with a 5yo and sounding out three letter words, actually sitting with a 10yo while he struggles with Latin declensions, actually checking the 12yo's Apologia answers to make sure she's getting it - no, not really. I do aim to keep up a positive outlook, you know, not to scream, "Can we just get on with this before I die of old age!" :tongue_smilie:, but it's not really satisfying or fulfilling or any of those other positive things, if we're talking about the actual teaching part.

I don't like teaching them when they don't understand something. I lose my patience and get frustrated. :glare: It's something I need to really work on.

There are times when I do think it would be nice to just be mom and not mom/teacher. There are times when I fantasize about not even being mom. :tongue_smilie: