Menu

What word sends you over the edge?

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are plenty of words I can't stand, but what bugs me most is when someone adopts a NEW word.

I know it's irrational. ;) But new words on old people are worse than new foods. You get a particular set of words--the ones that you know/use when *I* meet you & maybe a related subset. That's it.

I don't do change. :D

Pimped. Or pimp'd...however the kids are spelling it these days. I'm guessing it doesn't completely mean the same thing anymore that it used to, but hearing it come out of anyone's mouth, especially preteens makes me angry.

And suckish. It is supposed to mean "that sucks", but for some reason it has morphed into that.

Grrr.:mad:

I have a few. I hate it when my mom says "warsh" instead of wash. I hate it when my husband says "expresso" instead of espresso. I hate the word irregardless (not a real word), and when people say "ax" instead of ask. I also hate it when people say "I could care less" when what they mean is "I could NOT care less."

I realize this post makes me sound like a petty, evil person, but none of this looms huge in my life, and I wouldn't dream of saying any of it out loud. :001_smile:

Ditto ALL the ones already mentioned!!! My latest pet peeve is when my husband says "somewheres" instead of "somewhere." I don't know why he only recently started doing that, but now he's got the older kids saying it, too! :banghead:

DH is immune to my attempts to correct him, but I call the boys on it every single time!

Per se.

Does anyone really know what this term means or how to use it properly???

For all of us who want to see if we are using it correctly:

per se (pər sā, -sē)

by (or in) itself; intrinsically

As in, that contract clause is unconscionable per se.

This made me think of an ongoing argument between me and my sister...

She hates it when I pronounce the "t" in the word "often". She says it rhymes with "soften" and I'm not supposed to pronounce the "t" in either of them.

:D

I have to agree with the PP who said something about people adopting a new word... my son has a new word at least once a week (he usually picks them up from my sister) and he drives everyone crazy with it until the next new word comes along...

This week's word is "fail", or "failure", used whenever someone makes a mistake... just incase they didn't feel badly enough about it. :glare: We all want to clobber him right now.

This is fun! I never knew there were so many words that irritated me. For the most part though, I think it's inappropriate word combinations that get me....

like "those ones" and "these ones" and "where are you at?". I realize that these are phrases, but they just drive me crazy.

My dh worked with a guy that would often say. "It is tantamount that we get this done". And dh always had to say "Tantamount to what?" It drove dh absolutely nuts.

I have a few. I hate it when my mom says "warsh" instead of wash. I hate it when my husband says "expresso" instead of espresso. I hate the word irregardless (not a real word), and when people say "ax" instead of ask. I also hate it when people say "I could care less" when what they mean is "I could NOT care less."

I realize this post makes me sound like a petty, evil person, but none of this looms huge in my life, and I wouldn't dream of saying any of it out loud. :001_smile:

I say warsh. :blushing: Sorry, can't help myself, I'm from TX. My ex-husband once asked me how many Rs were in warsh anyway. I, honest to God, answered, "One, why?"

When I first started reading this thread, I was thinking to myself that I wasn't terribly picky about words, ya' know. I try to use a variety and apparently I do a pretty good job because my hubby says that most people don't understand half the words I say (and he really means they don't know the words ;)) but you know, I use whichever one is handy. But then I came to irregardless and I realized YES, that word bugs me. What possessed someone to say this in the first place? Were they purposely trying to mess with people's heads? Was it George Carlin or maybe Steven Wright? Because then it would be funny but only in it's original context. :tongue_smilie:

Myriad.

There is no such thing as a myriad of anything. You can have myriad clothing styles, but that just means you're eclectic.

I'll second the vote for ending a sentence with a preposition. I don't care if I end up sounding as if I'm speaking Victorian English; I simply can't stand finishing sentences with "at", "with", etc.

a

(who sometimes screws up the preposition thing...)

I say warsh. :blushing: Sorry, can't help myself, I'm from TX. My ex-husband once asked me how many Rs were in warsh anyway. I, honest to God, answered, "One, why?"

When I first started reading this thread, I was thinking to myself that I wasn't terribly picky about words, ya' know. I try to use a variety and apparently I do a pretty good job because my hubby says that most people don't understand half the words I say (and he really means they don't know the words ;)) but you know, I use whichever one is handy. But then I came to irregardless and I realized YES, that word bugs me. What possessed someone to say this in the first place? Were they purposely trying to mess with people's heads? Was it George Carlin or maybe Steven Wright? Because then it would be funny but only in it's original context. :tongue_smilie:

Sorry if I made you feel bad. :blush: You seem like a tough woman, though, so I won't worry too much. :lol: My nana (Texas) always said warsh, and my mom's people are from Oklahoma, so it must be a southern thing.

Well, this is not really a word but it drives me bat sh*t crazy anyhow. My kids say thum when they actually mean them. It's not their fault, too much time in the south. I was worried that they were irreparably damaged but I have corrected them so many times that now they say the wrong word but then correct themselves so I have hope. :001_smile:

Edited by KidsHappen

When we were kids, my dad also hated the word fart. We weren't allowed to say it. So he invented the word "fluff" as a substitute.

Because "fluff" sounds so much better :confused::confused:

So now it's a family joke and fluff is on my most hated word list.

Barb

When we were kids, my dad also hated the word fart. We weren't allowed to say it. So he invented the word "fluff" as a substitute.

Because "fluff" sounds so much better :confused::confused:

So now it's a family joke and fluff is on my most hated word list.

Barb

Our family word is "toot," and now I'm wondering if 20 or 30 years from now my kids are going to have toot on their list of words that send them over the edge. :001_huh:

:lol:

This word is constantly being used incorrectly. Professors say, "When you are done with your test, give it to myself." I hear it used incorrectly on CNN. Even Data in Star Trek uses it incorrectly! :confused:

Oh, geeze has it gone that far? I knew it ran rampant in public service circles, but I had no idea that it was that bad.

My pet peeve word right now is "at" at the end of a sentence. And the way dh uses the word give. Yesterday he told me, "I give him my cell phone number." :glare:

"Pro-active" and "win-win."

I also despise those "cheerleading" words. Dialogue used as a PP described would drive me batty, also.

And the phrase "to own" as in owning an emotion or ideal. I had to totally stay out of that thread earlier in the week.

Edited by Parrothead

"Crap" ~ I hate that word and I don't know why. My dh will use it if we're having an argument and he wants me to laugh. He knows I hate it.:tongue_smilie:

Irregardless sucks. Both of them. :)

Friggin freaking effing made up words to take the place of words that people don't want to hear. Either say the word or don't. Don't make up one to hide your lack of vocabulary.

:iagree::iagree:

Kewl...in writing, at least. And rad also.

I used to get in trouble for using rad back in the 80s when everything was rad. Now he uses rad, kewl, and prolly in speech and writing. :angry:

Someone also mentioned the non-swear swear words. I hate them. I hate the swear words, too. They all make me cringe.

Sorry if I made you feel bad. :blush: You seem like a tough woman, though, so I won't worry too much. :lol: My nana (Texas) always said warsh, and my mom's people are from Oklahoma, so it must be a southern thing.

Well, I don't feel bad now but I did feel a little silly when I first figured out why he was laughing at me. It is a southern thang. Haven't you ever heard the joke about why isn't there any Rs in MA? Because they are all in the warsh in TX. :D

J-u-s-t is my least-liked word especially when my husband uses it:

This will *just* take a few minutes. (It always takes longer.)

You are *just* cooking a souffle. (Grrr.)

And so on.

He's learned to use the word carefully around me. :D

Guest Virginia Dawn
There are plenty of words I can't stand, but what bugs me most is when someone adopts a NEW word.

I know it's irrational. ;) But new words on old people are worse than new foods. You get a particular set of words--the ones that you know/use when *I* meet you & maybe a related subset. That's it.

I don't do change. :D

This is me. Words like "dude" and "peeps" and "hoop-dee" just sound ridiculous to me. Especially when I hear them come out of dh's mouth. :D

Edited by Virginia Dawn

Hisself sends me over the edge (as in, He bought hisself a new shirt). Thankfully I don't hear it often, but an old boss used it so much it was an embarrassment. Throwing random prepositions into sentences make me crazy too (Where are you going to? Who are you calling for?)

I also dislike it when people speak in text talk, if that makes any sense. The abbreviated, shortened, and misused words of texting that works for texting but not for general conversation.

All of the above! Especially panties. Nom and all variations is another, especially when used as a verb. Using the word gift as a verb drives me batty.

My mom's vocabulary is awful and she mispronounces words. Mirror = mirra, picture = pitcher, peninsula = peninshula. She uses set for both sit and set.

"Team player" = "Door mat" (depending on the context)

Back in my days before children, I was a social worker. I was a good one, IMO. But I used to cringe at "team" meetings whenever this phrase came up. It was always trotted out in the context working longer (unpaid/uncompensated) hours, working (unpaid/uncompensated) weekends, working (unpaid/uncompensated) projects, going on our own time to (unpaid/uncompensated) training seminars..... This was also always said, of course, by control-freak managers on salary, who would be paid and compensated, even though they were not required to do these things....

It was a way of saying, "No matter how hard you work, you're never doing enough. And we know that if you don't give us ALL your blood, you're not a team player."

:D Perky smile: "We all need to be team players." :banghead: