Just the thought of someone asking to borrow your vulva...oh my goodness

That's so funny! My dh has a vulva!:lol:

Classy drives me nuts.

As does

pontificate

most unique, very unique...

plethora

EYE-talian.

My Eyetalian grandmother from Queens NY used to say warsh, so it's more than a southern/TX thing. She also said earl for oil.

Any words used by an over 30 mom trying to look hip and failing miserably.

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really dislike the misuse of the word "I" in a phrase. For example - 'That is my friend and I's favorite movie" And I hear it soooo much!!

I also dislike the misuse of weren't - example: It weren't the best movie I had ever seen. This may be a Southern thing, but really!!

And please don't end a sentence with a preposition. "Where is it at?" gets the response of 'behind the at' at our house.

My dad hates 'I've got.....' He always replies, "you either have it, or you got it, but not both!"

I dislike 'mirror' and 'rural' simply because I can't say them right and my dh picks on me! :glare:

You can let your husband know that the OED says:

"Orientate is commonly regarded as an incorrect usage in American English.

So, it's commonly regarded as incorrect usage. Does that mean that most people think it's incorrect and therefore it is (dictionaries being descriptive rather than prescriptive)? Or does it mean that it is regarded as incorrect despite being correct?

My Webster's American Family Dictionary includes the word without any qualification, so I'd chalk it up to being an opportunity for the veteran NCO to take the know-it-all newbie officer down a peg or two :tongue_smilie:

So, it's commonly regarded as incorrect usage. Does that mean that most people think it's incorrect and therefore it is (dictionaries being descriptive rather than prescriptive)? Or does it mean that it is regarded as incorrect despite being correct?

Laura

The editors of the OED appear to have left themselves some "wiggle-room" on this question (given the vague language).

It does sound "wrong" to my American ears, but perhaps I'm among those who commonly believe it is incorrect usage in American usage but are not correct about the matter. Not sure.

Bill

Back when my DH was a new 2nd Lt. fresh out of ROTC at Stanford, he went off on the soldiers in his platoon one time for using the word "orientate". Ranted and raved about how that wasn't a real word and how it made them sound ignorant, yadda, yadda, yadda. His master sergeant (who got a master's degree after retirement and became a college professor) quietly took him aside later that day to show DH the entry for orientate in the dictionary. :blushing: :lol:

Yes it is, and I misunderstood what my DH said. He knows it is a word but he hates it because he doesn't think it's necessary.

Some of these other responses are making me laugh. I would drive many of you mad because I use many of these words.

I also found y'all in the Merriam-Webster online dictionary. So does that mean it's a real word too?

It was very popular when we lived in southern New Hampshire years ago, and people we knew from the Boston suburbs used it, too. I'd never heard it in the midwest, though. Well, except dh and I say it, because we pick up weird sayings wherever we live.

Ways it was used on New Hampshire:

"Watch out, those fries are wicked hot!"

"Wow, that car's wicked pisser!" (That one still makes me laugh as one of the weirdest phrases ever.)

Having grown up just outside Boston and now living in NH, I can assure you that the proper spelling on that last word is "pissa" you really don't pronounce the r. :lol: having said that..I think I had blocked that word from my memory. I hate it more than any word I can think of! I don't usually say, "wicked" as in, "wicked neat!" or "ah, that was wicked cool!" but it does occasionally slip out.

Having grown up just outside Boston and now living in NH, I can assure you that the proper spelling on that last word is "pissa" you really don't pronounce the r. :lol: having said that..I think I had blocked that word from my memory. I hate it more than any word I can think of!

I grew up in a suburb about an hour west of Boston and I can't recall hearing anybody ever using that word. :confused: I do remember being confused when I went to college out in California and everyone thought that's how folks in Massachusetts talk! :tongue_smilie:

I grew up in a suburb about an hour west of Boston and I can't recall hearing anybody ever using that word. :confused: I do remember being confused when I went to college out in California and everyone thought that's how folks in Massachusetts talk! :tongue_smilie:

I'm hoping that you are younger than I am and it just happily went out of fashion after the 1970's. :001_smile:

Love this thread! I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who hates panties. And we don't fart, we howdy. (A holdover from dh's military days.) More words that bug me:

jew-le-ry

real-a-tor

pasta (when mil pronounces it "pass-ta" with a short a)

The one that currently sends me over the edge is "di'int" for "didn't." Dd has been saying this because this is how the kids next door say it. :glare:

I have to say, I do like "ginormous." Probably because I love Kipper, and that's where I heard it first.

Cinder

Having grown up just outside Boston and now living in NH, I can assure you that the proper spelling on that last word is "pissa" you really don't pronounce the r. :lol:

Whoops, you're RIGHT! Then again, I haven't lived there since the 80s. These days I'm busy learning to say "warsh" and "fark" (the latter is a dining utensil with tines).

In a British setting I've also heard "wickedly" used instead of "wicked". It sounded classier.

I have list.

The word that most irritates me is "gifted". My mom did not "gift" me a new calendar. She "gave" it to me.

Then there are the words I never say out loud. The Rule is that these words should never be said by anyone in polite company. They include words that should never be typed. :D

Unhappily for me, these are words that ordinary people use all the time -- especially when those people find out about The Rule. (I usually tell them The Rule when they ask why my eyes are bugging out of my head when I hear them say those words.)

OOOOH! In our house, we say "emu" instead. :lol: No idea how that started, but it's been that way as long as we've had kids.

Maybe you were at the zoo when you discovered you needed a term for that??? You know, you're walking by the emu pen and somebody lets one and you think, "Emu! That's what we'll call it!" :lol: O.k., I'll stop.

What's the word that bugs your dh that I used in a post a few months ago? I've been trying to think of it all day!

By the way, I tried to PM you back, but your PM box is full!

Chelle

I am really bothered lately that my kids and DH leave the "g" off the end of verbs. I am constantly correcting them , and Dh jokes that I am trying to save the English language one "g" at a time. Examples - leavin', eatin'.

My husband says "alls" which drives me nuts. "Alls you have to do is...."

We never, ever say fart we say "pass gas"

I think, however, the thing that really bothers me is when people leave letters out of words. Seriously, it is ca-ra-mel, not car-muhl.

...of course, any obscenity, MOST especially the "F" word and "G_D_" and obscene slang terms for parts of the human anatomy or bodily functions.

A few more offenders -- although much more mildy offensive than the ones above:

"app" -- Just say "application"; it won't hurt you.

"gift" as a verb

"nucular" instead of "nuclear"

There are more, but I'll stop there.

Almost all of your pet -peeves are mine, too, and here are a few more:

Both "C" words (male and female) for privates.

"Disrespect" used as a verb.

Nouns used as verbs in general -- "I staplegunned it."

"I know, right," the way many teens use it now.

and, last but not least: "Huh?" instead of "Pardon me?" or "Excuse me?"

:lol:

The one that currently sends me over the edge is "di'int" for "didn't." Dd has been saying this because this is how the kids next door say it. :glare:

Cinder

OH, you reminded me how much I hate that, too! Along with "buh-in" instead of "button", "beh-room" instead of "bedroom", and "yous" instead of "you all". Heck, I'd take "y'all" over "yous" any day!

I think, however, the thing that really bothers me is when people leave letters out of words. Seriously, it is ca-ra-mel, not car-muhl.

car·a·mel   [kar-uh-muhl, -mel, kahr-muhl] Show IPA

–noun

1. a liquid made by cooking sugar until it changes color, used for coloring and flavoring food.

2. a kind of chewy candy, commonly in small blocks, made from sugar, butter, milk, etc.

3. a yellowish brown or tan color.

I looked this up when my dad use to say "Carmel".... :-) Either is proper :D

I can't beleive this one hasn't been posted yet....LIBERRY. As in, we need to get our books back to the liberry (or libary).

I think the word panties sounds creepy too. And another one that my girls have picked up from Grandma is buhtatuhs. As in mashed buhtatuhs. We actually have written it out for the girls to pronounce.

My husband dislikes the word "poop." Makes him crazy. For my mother-in-law, it's "snot." Me? I don't like so-called words that aren't really words: irregardless, strategory, musicality... to name a few.

musicality |ˌmyoōziˈkalətē|

noun

tastefulness and accomplishment in music : she sings with unfailing musicality.

• the quality of being melodious and tuneful : his speaking voice hinted at musicality.

• awareness of music and rhythm, esp. in dance : the audition panel was looking for coordination, musicality, and flexibility.

Edited by Suzanne in ABQ

Myriad.

There is no such thing as a myriad of anything. You can have myriad clothing styles, but that just means you're eclectic.

I'll second the vote for ending a sentence with a preposition. I don't care if I end up sounding as if I'm speaking Victorian English; I simply can't stand finishing sentences with "at", "with", etc.

a

(who sometimes screws up the preposition thing...)

myriad |ˈmirēəd| poetic/literary

noun

1 a countless or extremely great number : networks connecting a myriad of computers.

2 (chiefly in classical history) a unit of ten thousand.

adjective

countless or extremely great in number : the myriad lights of the city.

• having countless or very many elements or aspects : the myriad political scene.

ORIGIN mid 16th cent. (sense 2 of the noun) : via late Latin from Greek murias, muriad-, from murioi ‘10,000.’

USAGE Myriad is derived from a Greek noun and adjective meaning ‘ten thousand’. It was first used in English as a noun in reference to a great but indefinite number. The adjectival sense of ‘countless, innumerable’ appeared much later. In modern English, use of myriad as a noun and adjective are equally standard and correct, despite the fact that some traditionalists consider the adjective as the only acceptable use of the word.

Edited by Suzanne in ABQ

The whole dropping the first syllable in "pizza" thing. I don't know who started it but an appropriate punishment for him (it's got to be a him) in h*** would be to write "there are two syllables in pizza" on a blackboard for all eternity...

I've honestly never heard anyone drop the first syllable in pizza. Do they just say "tsa"? (Let's go get a tsa?)

-"Chester drawers" instead of "chest of drawers"

-

Yes! I was shopping for a used chest of drawers a couple of months ago, and came across many listings in Craigslist advertising Chester Drawers. I refused to even look at them! I just couldn't get myself to do business with the person who placed the ad.

Snobby? Probably. I honestly hope they sold their chester drawers. I just didn't want to buy them. :)

Yes! I was shopping for a used chest of drawers a couple of months ago, and came across many listings in Craigslist advertising Chester Drawers. I refused to even look at them! I just couldn't get myself to do business with the person who placed the ad.

Snobby? Probably. I honestly hope they sold their chester drawers. I just didn't want to buy them. :)

:lol: That sounds funny to me. Maybe it was a typing error.

"Cookie" sounds like "Kooky" when I say it, so my family makes fun of me. Just try saying "cookie" while your nose is completely pinched shut and you'll see it's a bit awkward to say. I am usually plugged up from allergies. I have to put some effort into saying "cookie" so it's one of my least favorite words. :banghead: :blushing:

Oh, I agree!!! This drives myself nuts :D Seriously, though, some people we know quite well who serve in a public speaking capacity, do this all.the.time. And every time I hear it, I have to dissect the sentence to assure myself that it is indeed incorrect. :tongue_smilie:

This drives myself nuts :D That is so funny. Doesn't that just make you want to get ran over. :auto::lol: :lol::lol:

I will never admit any words that bother me because my dh would be sure to use them as frequently as possible. Around here, toilet humour is considered the highest form of humour. Farting is comedy.

My dh is dyslexic and often messes up the beautiful English language by saying words back to front. But if I correct him- and I just can't help it sometimes- he will be sure to do it on purpose next time :) I think he was put on the earth to humble me :)

I can't believe that no one has brought up the substitution of resemble for resent ie I resemble his attitude. That does not make any sense. How could anyone mistake a word of three syllables for a word of two? And they end with a different sound?