Menu

Are You a Curriculum Junkie?

TKDmom

Are You a Curriculum Junkie?  

1. 1. Are You a Curriculum Junkie?

• Yes, I'm always looking for the newest, best program.
    • No, I've picked my programs and I only look around if something is obviously not working for us.
    • Obligatory Other

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Other: I do make purchases for evaluation purposes (just how many first year Latin programs should one person own? :tongue_smilie:), but once started we tend to stick with programs as long as they're working.

Edited by nmoira

Nope. I do research with extreme care before making any purchases. We have far less curriculum flops this way. I'd rather find a way to make an ill-fitting curriculum work for us than replace it if the going gets tough. There have been a few exceptions to this along the way, of course. :)

Other: I've do make purchases for evaluation purposes (just how many first year Latin programs should one person own? :tongue_smilie:), but once started we tend to stick with programs as long as they're working.

All of them, of course :D.

I am a junkie, but I tend to stick with what works as well. I'm not a big hopper once we start something unless it's obviously not working.

Other: I do make purchases for evaluation purposes... but once started we tend to stick with programs as long as they're working.

:iagree: Describes me to a T. I call it "catch and release" -- and sometimes I do a lot of fishing before I find what I need. Fortunately, my DH is rather understanding.

Edited by Mama2Three

I'm a junkie in that I research curriculum, but actually I have not made any changes in quite a while, because I have found just what I want. There are only two holes in the curricula that I have--one is that I don't know of an engaging US history program that is not too biased one way or another, and the other is that I would like a more complete version of RS4K Chemistry Level II, sold complete with all the lab supplies. Barring those turning up, though, I can't imagine ever needed to change curricula again.

I voted Other, because

(1.) I used to be a junkie when I was a newer homeschooler, and

(2.) I still look/listen all the time, but I don't buy anything except at the beginning of the year when we need new stuff for next year.

Now I might be a "how to" junkie. I scarf up books and tapes for me on teaching methods, specific subject areas, and classical education.

Other, I guess. I love to look, but after a rather large bomb in the fall, I am no longer BUYING curriculum to change what we are doing. At least big stuff. Books don't count, right? ;)

I do pretty well with the real basics, but history is another story entirely. Oh, nuts. I should probably change my vote ...

I voted other...I am a curriculum junkie, but I'm not necessarily looking for the "newest, best programs"...I just collect curriculum, sort of like other people collect figurines. I've been collecting nineteenth century textbooks since I was 11...so this is just sort of an extension of that.

I voted *other* because I am a junkie, but not because I'm looking for the newest program. Sometimes the things I buy are very old...books/curricula. I'm a junkie because I buy more than I could ever possibly use, and then I still want to find the perfect program for each subject for each child. :tongue_smilie:

There you have it.

Edited by MicheleinMN

Other. I had to pick that because I'm only a junkie for science curriculum/books, and mostly because my son breezes through it so quickly that I basically *have* to have a ton of stuff available so he doesn't get bored. Everything else, I pretty much stick to what I already have and what works.

I voted other. I'm not looking for "new and improved", I'm looking for something that's what I had in mind.

Unfortunately, you really need to buy things in order to really SEE them. If I'd kept track of (and subtracted) how many purchases I did not feel were accurately represented by their samples, I'd be firmly in the "no" category. I no longer feel guilty about not using something that wasn't what I thought it was or hoped it would be (usually in terms of user friendliness).

Just to clarify, I'm not saying companies intentionally misrepresent their product. More like I sometimes get the wrong impression.

I can admit it - I am a curriculum junkie - my only saving grace is that we have a very limitted HS budget so I can't actually purchase (and force upon my innocent children:tongue_smilie:) every single curric that catches my eye.

Don't ask me how many maths a 1st grader needs. I'm still in the denial stage when it comes to math!:lol:

Does it count if I haven't actually started homeschooling yet? First grade starts in the fall, and while I did K with my oldest this year, I don't really count it as home schooling officially. I research and research and research. (I drive myself crazy) Fall in love, then out of love, with curriculum. I buy USED (Thank goodness for http://www.homeschoolclassifieds.com/ and this forum!) so I can look at it, then turn around and sell it, sometimes. Then maybe buy it again, or not. I'm trying to figure it all out now so I won't have to be a junkie later (hopefully), when it counts a little more. However, it so much fun to buy curriculum and get it in the mail. It's like Christmas. And then the satisfaction of selling it and getting money to buy more. Who am I kidding? This is a vicious cycle that will only end when I throw my computer out of the house! :glare:

Does it count if I haven't actually started homeschooling yet? First grade starts in the fall, and while I did K with my oldest this year, I don't really count it as home schooling officially. I research and research and research. (I drive myself crazy) Fall in love, then out of love, with curriculum. I buy USED (Thank goodness for http://www.homeschoolclassifieds.com/ and this forum!) so I can look at it, then turn around and sell it, sometimes. Then maybe buy it again, or not. I'm trying to figure it all out now so I won't have to be a junkie later (hopefully), when it counts a little more. However, it so much fun to buy curriculum and get it in the mail. It's like Christmas. And then the satisfaction of selling it and getting money to buy more. Who am I kidding? This is a vicious cycle that will only end when I throw my computer out of the house! :glare:

Ditto, to everything she said! :iagree:

:lol::lol::lol:

I'm a junkie but I'm not always searching for the newest or best....just what works!!

:iagree:

I'm a reformed junkie. :) So I chose other. I like to look (and drool) at some of the new stuff, but I won't change unless what we're using isn't working.

Me, too!

I'm a junkie because I buy more than I could ever possibly use, and then I still want to find the perfect program for each subject for each child. :tongue_smilie:

:iagree: Is the perfect program out there????

I voted yes, but I also wanted to put other. I often am not looking for new curriculum, but then I come to these boards and I hear about some wonderful program that I hadn't heard of before. Then I research it and then my head is completely turned around.....And also, I am a curriculum junkie.:D

Wooly

This year after a major expensive flop, I got 5 friends to be my accountability partners - no more purchases, and I must finish what we started. It's going great. There is a wonderful feeling if having a stack of books 2/3 done, the kids are learning step by step, and there is a rhythm here.

I already made my purchase for next year and I finally feel I understand my kids and myself!!!

I like some textbooks, or open and go easy to teach programs such as older levels of LLATL...I like workbooks for math, spelling, handwriting...and mostly self teaching. I am basically eclectic and I'm finally fine with that.

For fun I am using the library more and getting more read alouds even if that means occcasional Amazon purchaes for books instead of curriculum.

:)

I voted yes--I am a junkie. A theoretical junkie. I make a plan, choose my materials and stop. Then I peek just a bit more, and change a few things, reshuffle the topics, tweak a program with just a few changes, re-plan and stop. The I do the whole thing all over again. I do this for three or four months (or five). Then I finally order exactly what I first chose. So, although I don't actually buy all the stuff I plan, I am a junkie!

I am always looking. But I don't buy unless it just really jumps out and grabs my heart :-)

:iagree: I am, however, a go-along junkie! I'm a sucker for stuff (books, manipulatives, helps, etc.) that will go along with what we're doing, even though we're probably not using half of what lives in our bookshelves right now! DH is going to ban me from used book sales soon for that reason :tongue_smilie:

Other: I do make purchases for evaluation purposes (just how many first year Latin programs should one person own? :tongue_smilie:), but once started we tend to stick with programs as long as they're working.

I have 5, including 1 from the 1800's, an actual book I bought years before I had children or considered homeschooling any future children I might have!