Menu

What's the longest your dc haven't seen a dentist?

Ariel has never been. :blushing: She has a really strong fear of doctors, so since she has not had any complaints and I have not seen any problems, I haven't taken her because I know what that scene would entail. They would probably have to sedate her just to look in her mouth, and I'm not ready to go that route.

Luke, never, Andrew and Jo about 3 years ago(?)....

My parents never took me to a dentist. My sibs each went once (for toothaches), but I never had any problems. I got my teeth cleaned a few years ago (we had dental insurance, so why not). Jo had her teeth sealed at school. Andrew and Jo went with me when I went and the dentist checked them over, found no cavities, said they'd both need braces eventually and that was it.

I wouldn't worry about it ;)

I go every 6 months and take all my kids starting at 2 yr old every 6 months. Our insurance has changed 2 times in the last 6 months so they haven't gone yet. It will be a year for them when I take them in March. I am the type of person who can go every 6 months and still have cavities so I get my kids in too. My dh can go every 10 years and be fine. :glare:

Three years. My 8yo DS had to have 2 teeth removed and multiple cavities. He's going to need a space holder for one of those gaps. He has poor enamel, my others don't. We're also paying $1,000 for a palatal expander for him now to save him from needing 2 more teeth pulled now and 4 more adult teeth.

My second son had a crown (for a tiny cavity between his teeth, that's just how they repair those). My younger daughter had a cavity on her 1st trip to the dentist, she's 4. All received sealants.

We now go every 6mo but that's only because we have insurance right now. Dentistry is the killer for our large family.

Okay, I admit this is one area I've completely dropped the ball. Just curious how long some of you have gone between dentist appointments, assuming there are no visible issues?

My oldest has been to the dentist most often ~ three times in his 14+ years, I think. My second and third sons have been twice. My younger two have never been at all. None of mine have ever had x-rays or fluoride treatments and we're on well water, fwiw. I'll likely take the bunch in for a check-up some time this year, but in general the decent eating and cleaning habits have been sufficient for us.

Since we moved to Colorado, we haven't been to the dentist in over 3 years. DD has never been to the dentist, and her very first time was last week. She is 5. She had to get a filling.

Both my husband and I had to get crowns. Our old fillings were falling out. The dentist said fillings just wear out and it would've happened even if we went to the dentist every year. Does that sound right?

From now on, we are faithfully going to the dentist every 6 months. These checkups are free, and why not get a thorough cleaning to prevent future problems. Also, it's helpful getting those reminders to floss teeth more often!

The kids go every 6 months ever since DS was 2.5.

DD actually started going earlier but not for a cleaning until she was 2. First visit was to check her teeth out due to all the meds and antibiotics she was on in the NICU that was at 11 months when she finally got some teeth, lol.

Next two apts. were to check her badly chipped front teeth since she was falling and not stopping her face from hitting the floor.

She has since had one more emergency visit when she fell and chipped off the entire corner and front surface of a tooth, other than that it has just been for cleanings. Going regularly has definitely helped her to not be afraid of the dentist. We had one bad apt and it was when we tried a non pediatric dentist.

Me on the other hand, it's been a few years and I need to see a dentist as I'm pretty sure I have some work that needs to be done.

After 4yo, the longest any of my kids has gone between dentist appointments is 1 year, and that was when we were moved. I generally manage to get them in every 6 months, although a couple of time it was closer to 8 months because we had to reschedule.

My poor youngest has had more dentist visits than the rest of us and is the only one of my kids who has to have braces. She has already had 9 baby teeth pulled, could have one more baby tooth pulled, and will likely have 2 adult teeth pulled as well. She may also end up with orthognathic surgery to reset her jaw. She's not happy about being stuck with all that.

My record, on the other hand, is 7 years. My dh's is 6 years. He would have held out longer, but his teeth started to hurt. By the way, my 7 year record ended back in October when I started having pain. My dh and I are both dentist-office-weenies. I am going to try to keep up with every 6 months after this, but I don't make any promises about that. I really am a scaredy-cat.

I'd have an easier time if these dentists didn't keep informing me that their policy is that parents are banned from the exam room. Not only was I sure that that was a bad idea, but last week's 20/20 on kids being tortured at the dentists' office confirmed it.

Wow, I have never been told that I couldn't be in the exam room. I wouldn't let my child go if I was not welcome. I have heard stories about dentist that claim the patient has cavities and after a second opinion it turned out that they didn't.

We don't go that often because we don't have dental insurance. My son has been to the dentist 3 times in his 14 years. No cavities, perfect teeth. He did have his teeth sealed when he was 12. My daughter has been to the dentist twice in her 9 years. She will need her teeth sealed and possibly braces. I didn't go to the dentist to often growing up. In the last 18 years (my adult life) I've been once because a filling came out.

My kids have been every six months since they were 5. Dd has never been. She's got a HUGE fear of doctors. Our dentist knows that and he's already working on her. He lets her watch the boys get their teeth cleaned and offers her a ride in the chair. So far, she won't sit in the chair. Next time, maybe!!

We turn down all flouride and most xrays.

I brush her teeth regularly and haven't noticed any spots or anything. If I did, I would push the issue.

I, on the other hand, am like Remudamom! I hate the dentist!!! I put it off for 5 years once. No problems when I went, other than a LOT of scraping!! But, now I go in every six months - just because.

I'd have an easier time if these dentists didn't keep informing me that their policy is that parents are banned from the exam room. Not only was I sure that that was a bad idea, but last week's 20/20 on kids being tortured at the dentists' office confirmed it.

My dentist allows this. I would keep checking. It is odd to me and seems bad practice since in medicine and nursing we encourage and want the parents' presence.

Usually 1 year in between appts. I try to wait until age 3 before they get seen the first time, and that is more to get used to the dentist than for anything else. DD opted to do that today, climbed up in the chair, put ont he head phones to listen to the tv and opened her mouth so they quickly checked her and she got a prize. I like doing these early visits to show them the dentist is not a scary place. Then they go annually for a cleaning/check up unless there is any problems. Like right now both big kids getting spacers due to several extractions (dd in preparation for braces, ds due to multiple abcesses).

As for myself, I go about once a decade, I am pertified of the dentist, so while I take my kids often I don't go. Plus their dental care is covered by insurance and mine is not.

Crazy! not only are parents welcome in the exam rooms at our dentist but the dentist takes the time to point everything out in the kids mouths to me, show what he is doing as he does it etc. The only way we could get the work done on them esp ds is with me there to help keep the kids calm. We did 3 extractions on ds without needing sedation(only injections to freeze it) ,because I was able to keep him calm and not struggling.

Our dentist does not have normal exam rooms, they are wall-less, door less areas, divided up by the shelving etc so it is very open concept but still giving privacy to patients, but makes it easy for parents to know what is going on with their kids even if they don't sit in the room with them.

My dentist allows this. I would keep checking. It is odd to me and seems bad practice since in medicine and nursing we encourage and want the parents' presence.

No kidding. I wouldn't (and don't! and have never been asked!) send my kid in to their doctor's office by themselves. How would they even know to enforce things like hygiene, gloves, and so forth?

I have just stopped further plans to go to any dentist with that policy. But I can't understand why ANY parent tolerates it.

MIne haven't been in 3 (?) years because of this policy. We can only go to one of those chain places, and this is the chain's policy.

We are very strict about every six months, and kind of obsessive about dental care. Daily tooth care makes a huge difference for long-term health. We are blessed to have the insurance that covers this for the girls. Both were seen beginning at age 3.

I hate to scare anyone, but a good friend of mine who is very diligent in the care of her children took her kiddo in for his first checkup at age 5. He had FIVE cavities and has to have a crown placed on one of his baby teeth. (I didn't even know that they would DO THAT!).

If you can't get your child to the dentist, make sure you are teaching dental floss usage, or buy those easy hand-held flossers.

I'm not asking for a fluoride battle (please no tomatoes!), but we do use ACT For Kids in our home. My Dad has worked in R&D in the dental care industry (for the original Sonicare - pre-Philips ownership - and now for a company that makes tools for endodontists and dental field kits for the military) for about 15 years now...undoubtedly he would let me know if he felt there was any risk...and he highly recommends using a mild fluoride rinse.

DD1 was four before we took her to the dentist. DD2 began going when she turned two. Since DD1 was already going, we figured we might as well make DD2 an appointment too. We waited until 4 years old with DD1 because she had a horrible fear of strangers being near her and I knew she would not do well at all before then.

We take them every 6 months.

DH goes every 6 months as well.

I used to go every 6 months. But I loathe the dentist, so I do not go as often as I should. I had a root canal and crown a year ago and have not been back. I really need to go back though....I know I have a filling I need to get, plus another crown on a tooth that has already been filled.

last week's 20/20 on kids being tortured at the dentists' office confirmed it.
Thanks for this link. My oldest had a similarly traumatizing experience. He was strapped into a papoose board, injected with Novocaine, then instantly drilled. He was just 13mo and needed his top 4 teeth repaired because they ground down as they grew in (I mentioned previously he has poor enamel).

His screams were bloodcurdling! I stopped them immediately and told them they needed to wait for him to numb up and the dentist was extremely rude telling me they used special children Novocain that numbs instantly...I later found that no such thing exists. She threatened to throw me out and do it without me. I let them continue since at the time I didn't know she was lying. My poor little guy was covered in sweat, just like the boy in the 20/20 article.

They didn't have any major issues that I was aware of and we didn't have dental insurance (so each visit was at least $150), so I decided to wait until they were five and they did fine. We've done every six months since then. And none of the dentists we've gone to has refused to let me stay in the exam room.

Thankfully now we have had dental insurance that covers preventive care 100% for two years now, and if one of us has a filling we've come out ahead even with the premiums. Last year we had three fillings, four the previous year.

I didn't go to the dentist at all when I was in college. I put myself through and was dirt poor, and my parents refused to pay to add me to their policy when they could have. So that first visit when I started working and could afford it was quite memorable...

Edited by GVA

My 6 (almost 7yo) has been to the dentist three times, twice for checkups at 3 and 5 yo and then once to have a hole filled...The 2 1/2yo hasn't been yet but we'll be taking him in the next month or two just to get him adapted...I went in after 15yrs and had a "cavity" that wasn't a really a cavity...I probably won't go back for awhile...

None of my kids have ever been to the dentist. Just never happened and we don't have any issues. I didn't plan it, we simply never had dental coverage and suddenly there were six of them!! lol We're going to go soon because I believe 14yo dd needs braces, but it's a big expense for our family. They've never had any tooth complaints and so we'll see how bad of a mom I've been when we go. Can't wait to tell the dentist that there ARE no records... LOL

Mr6 and Ms4 have each been a few times for checkups. Ms 1.5 was meant to have her first visit soon, only she has chicken pox so I'm going to have to phone and postpone it. The recommendation here is to begin at age one and have checkups every 6 months. I figure the dentists probably do a bit of an ambit claim strategy, so I aim for every 12 months. My husband is a big chicken and only goes every 3 or 4 years.

Our old fillings were falling out. The dentist said fillings just wear out and it would've happened even if we went to the dentist every year. Does that sound right?

Yes, fillings do age and start to leak. My childhood fillings have started to need replacement.

My kids go every 6 months, starting at age 2. We have okay dental insurance and a great dentist.