Menu

Have you gotten one yet?

You know, one of those letters tucked into a Christmas card where the impressive accomplishments of all family members are listed, how everyone is beautiful, successful, healthy and had only good thoughts all year?

I just got one. Why does it always feel like a punch in the stomach??? :glare:

I've only received one letter and I honestly think the person writing it was drunk. How else would you explain writing details of potty accidents and bathing time (same story, unfortunately) in a Christmas letter? If that one makes you feel punched, this one would make you feel like the Einstein family!

I always get one that is written in third person and it's like a newspaper. It is soooo weird.

The blank couple traveled over the globe this year. The blank couple are expecting their first baby. The blank couple's wife lost 45lbs this year.

Theirs is the ONLY newsletter I get like that and yes, it makes me feel like their life is perfect. (eyes rolling).

I've only received one letter and I honestly think the person writing it was drunk. How else would you explain writing details of potty accidents and bathing time (same story, unfortunately) in a Christmas letter? If that one makes you feel punched, this one would make you feel like the Einstein family!

:lol: At least there were no potty incidents in the letter I received. :D

I may be the last person alive who enjoys getting holiday letters. :001_smile: We used to move a lot and I like staying in touch with people who were part of my life but I don't see as often any more.

That said. Some people just aren't good at it, ya know. Share a few highlights, few challenging times, ask how everyone else is doing, and keep it brief.

One friend always sends bad news, everything that went wrong all year. One friend does an extended travelogue about visiting people I don't know. One friend always writes her letter in free-verse. :tongue_smilie: I love 'em anyway.

I'm sorry you had a disappointing experience with one, maybe the next one will be better.

We have one letter that we look forward to each year...these people travel somewhere exotic every month, or at least they did til they had their first baby & then their letter changed a bit.

Until then, each paragraph read like this: February found us in the tropics again, but this time we savored the sandy beaches of Jamaica...blah blah blah. ;) The "found us" phrase is what cracks me up, as if they accidently landed there on a magic carpet without a clue how it all happened so wonderfully...

I don't begrudge them their hard earned vacation times, but honestly, do they know what they sound like??! Now, since having the most beautiful perfect baby EVER, their travels slowed down but their writing style did not. I expect to read of their unique potty training trials & fancy preschool waiting lists in this year's letter... or perhaps about how the baby has learned to read. :lol:

I never NEVER compare myself to these letters or feel badly. I wouldn't trade most of what I read in these letters for our chaotic & busy love-filled life. But...dh and I do have a fun time racing to the mailbox about now since there are only a few days left!!

I like the letters generally. I think they are fun to read and I stay away from comparing ourselves with those families.

However, last year, a good friend from college (who always sends a letter) sent copies of her father's obituary in her Christmas card and a letter detailing his last moments, the funeral and their grieving and how life would never be the same. I did not know her father died last year until I received the letter. While I sympathize with her (I did send her a sympathy card), it was a shock to received the information within a Christmas card. I would have rather she had just sent a letter without the card.

This year with beginning 2009 with unemployment and lots of illnesses with ourselves and my mother, we are not sending our annual photo card. My husband found a much better job in July, but I just didn't feel like sending cards out.

Louise

I like the Christmas letters we recieve. I think it's because the people I get them from are close friends I care about but don't always get to chat with throughout the year so to get caught up in that yearly letter is nice. I have a friend who is a school teacher so she writes her letter and sends a nice card with her family or just kids pictures usually in July.

I've recieved a few, and I have honestly enjoyed reading each one. There are a lot of exciting things happening for my family and friends, and I am glad they wanted to share the news with me. I already knew a lot of it, but some of the letters had more details.

When I am sharing about good things that are happening for my family and me, I do hope people aren't rolling their eyes when I turn my back.

I usually don't mind them, especially with family who live so far away. However we have one set of (local) acquaintences whos letters I do not care for....they just gush too much with praise for their beautiful, talented princess who is such a joy yada yada yada, etc. .

Now that I think about it....I we haven't gotten their letter yet this year....we may be off the list :o)

I always get one that is written in third person and it's like a newspaper. It is soooo weird.

The blank couple traveled over the globe this year. The blank couple are expecting their first baby. The blank couple's wife lost 45lbs this year.

Theirs is the ONLY newsletter I get like that and yes, it makes me feel like their life is perfect. (eyes rolling).

Oops - dh made an online newspaper for last year's family letter - just like that!:tongue_smilie: I wonder how many of our friends thought that was weird?!:001_smile:

I personally do not care for the letters, but I do not mean this in a rude way. I just find it silly to receive them from families or relatives that we are in contact with all thru the year.

I guess I may feel different if I received them from families at a distance, whom it would be nice to catch up with.

I may be the last person alive who enjoys getting holiday letters. :001_smile: We used to move a lot and I like staying in touch with people who were part of my life but I don't see as often any more.

That said. Some people just aren't good at it, ya know. Share a few highlights, few challenging times, ask how everyone else is doing, and keep it brief.

One friend always sends bad news, everything that went wrong all year. One friend does an extended travelogue about visiting people I don't know. One friend always writes her letter in free-verse. :tongue_smilie: I love 'em anyway.

I'm sorry you had a disappointing experience with one, maybe the next one will be better.

:iagree::iagree: I LOVE Christmas Letters in general and am just so sad to hear how many people don't like them. I don't get that at all. I used to love reading them when I was a teenager and couldn't wait till I was grown up and could share about my own family. I have written a letter every year for 25 years. I don't lie in it. I tell the truth about our family with general updates for those who don't see us too often. I share some sadness too, but not too detailed because that's how most people are in real life. You don't always air your dirty laundry in public. What's wrong with that? I'm not trying to decieve people and the existance of some bad news in our lives that we don't share doesn't make the news we do share untrue. I try not to sound "braggie" or pretentious in my letter. I don't think it comes across that way I really haven't ever read a Christmas letter that I thought sounded that way - and I get dozens.

I LOVE reading the Christmas letters that my family and friends send out each year. I am so happy to hear about their children's activites and the ways God has blessed them over the past year. I can't imagine someone else's success or good news making me feel bad about myself or jealous - a punch in the stomach?? How?? I just, to be completely honest, don't get the negativity about Christmas letters AT ALL.

I fall in between on this topic - I enjoy getting the letters as they are from people we generally hear from only once a year - and there are people I wish would send out letters as well! On the other hand, a letter detailing a too-perfect life can wreck my day until I get over it . . . and there is always one very perfect life in each year's letters - and I work very hard to refocus and praise God for His blessings in their lives. I always enjoy receiving photos!

Edited by eaglei

Oops - dh made an online newspaper for last year's family letter - just like that!:tongue_smilie: I wonder how many of our friends thought that was weird?!:001_smile:

Ha, I'm probably the weird one. They are really close friends and it just seems less intimate somehow. Like I'm reading about their life in the news or something. LOL.

You know, one of those letters tucked into a Christmas card where the impressive accomplishments of all family members are listed, how everyone is beautiful, successful, healthy and had only good thoughts all year?

I just got one. Why does it always feel like a punch in the stomach??? :glare:

???Not sure how a friend's (or relative's) card that's sharing happiness could evoke that response in you???

I can't imagine someone else's success or good news making me feel bad about myself or jealous - a punch in the stomach?? How?? I just, to be completely honest, don't get the negativity about Christmas letters AT ALL.

:iagree:

I don't know why you'd get so upset over a Christmas letter. It's not a reflection on you. :confused:

I got 2 letters this year. One from a cousin that reads just like every other letter they've sent for several years running now. If I'd kept the past ones, I could have done a check to see if maybe they hadn't recycled it over and over. I think that's kind of funny in a way. I can anticipate the paragraphs way before I read them.

The other one was a keeper -- and I don't keep many cards and such. This from an old roommie and her husband. They have multiple pets, no kids. Their letter was done with lolcat-like pictures of their pets (and them in a couple), done in a calendar format. 12 pictures, each one absolutely hysterical, yet so informative. I loved it!

i sent a simple one this year but not like oh look what we did here and there and now and then. it was more of a hey this is what's going on with us....dh was awarded sailor of the year for his boat (enlisted), but that's the only bragging point. and that i'm almost done with classes

Oh, I feel I need to clarify a little. It is true that we don't see this family very often. We used to be neighbors and now we live too far apart for frequent contact.

Their letters typically highlight all the positive achievements - understandably, nobody wants to revisit the failures of the past year, however, it makes it sound like they had nothing but wonderful things going on all year. Of course, I know this could not have been the case. At the moment, I'm reading it though, I catch myself rolling my eyes back and forth.

I never sent mass produced, generic letters to anyone but write individual Christmas cards in which I usually write a few things, specifically for this person. So all cards contain different text, because I share information with people we are close to that I would not share with a former colleague or neighbor.

I think, it's in part the "genericness" that makes it seem so fake.

Oh, I feel I need to clarify a little. It is true that we don't see this family very often. We used to be neighbors and now we live too far apart for frequent contact.

Their letters typically highlight all the positive achievements - understandably, nobody wants to revisit the failures of the past year, however, it makes it sound like they had nothing but wonderful things going on all year. Of course, I know this could not have been the case. At the moment, I'm reading it though, I catch myself rolling my eyes back and forth.

I never sent mass produced, generic letters to anyone but write individual Christmas cards in which I usually write a few things, specifically for this person. So all cards contain different text, because I share information with people we are close to that I would not share with a former colleague or neighbor.

i understand that. i guess the way i look at it is that the people we want to share a lot with we talk to on a regular basis (at least weekly if not more frequently) so the generic letter is great for the more extended and distant friends and relatives

I also love getting letters. I am so disappointed when I open a Christmas card just to find a signature...what a waste of a stamp! But when there is a photo and/or a letter...I love it.

Yes, we have a few friends whose letters always make us laugh...or groan a little...or something. It's just that they act as though we are all a part of this huge competition for having the best kid...and theirs is the winner. You know, like little "Julie is in the gifted program again, working up two grade levels, is first chair violin, won the state track meet, serves in the soup kitchen each week, is the top student in her Chinese class", etc. What I love is to hear a bit about the kids: "Julie works hard in school and loves learning new things. She is still playing the violin and running track, and decided to add in Chinese this year. She is such a sweet girl and loves to make new friends with everyone she meets. We love her sense of humor and appreciate her happy attitude."

Maybe it's just me...but those kind of letters are fun to read & I love them. I also enjoy the kind that tell about funny things that happened over the year or funny things the kids say.

I love family Christmas letters as well. I love to receive them and I love to read them.

Myself, I send 80 cards out each year. We have moved 9 times in the last 27 years, and have made many friends in many different places. That, along with a large extended family on both mine and dh's side, makes for a lot of people we love to keep in touch with. And I love to hear from each of them.

I would absolutely not be able to write a note in each card to each person. I have friends and relatives that do this, and I love reading them, but I know they do not have as many friend/family that they send cards to, so they are able to write those personalized notes. I'm sure sometimes they wonder why I send a mass letter, but then I realize that they have no clue how many people we keep in touch with at Christmas.

And as I send out our family letter each year, I pray that each person who receives it will feel the love that we have for them in keeping them part of our family life. I always hope to receive letters so that I can feel a part of their lives as well. I love the regular old letters, the creative ones, ones with pictures, bragging ones, perfect-life ones; whatever type I can get to be closer once each year to loved ones that are far apart.

I only got one, and the sender formatted it like it was multiple choice quiz. It was cute!

The only letter we received this year was in Mad Libs format and I thought it was super cute.

Someone else mentioned a wasted stamp- we just moved into this house in Feb and both our next door neighbor and our across the street neighbor gave us photo cards, which I found weird. I see their kids every day! The across the street neighbor MAILED hers. As in attached a stamp. It's a five second walk.

I agree with you, here. If I'm going to bother to send out Christmas cards, I'll write a short note in each one of them, specifically to the person I'm sending it to. Otherwise, it just seems kind of...disingenuous. Here's what newsletters are missing: "Dear Aunt So-and-so. Hope you are doing well. How is your sister doing? I hope you're enjoying you're new house." etc, etc. There's no interaction with generic newsletters: you're just talking "at" everyone.

Miss Manners sums it up better than I ever could:

"Far be it from Miss Manners to look down on anyone so fortunate as to have more than a hundred friends so close as to be awaiting the news about your son's teeth. You will forgive her if she suggests that so high a degree of intimacy is not often maintained on the basis of a mass mailing once a year.

Friends and relatives who have a genuine interest in the details of your family life deserve some personal attention."

What a blessing it must be to have so many people sending Christmas cards to you. You must be getting cards from people that aren't even your friends if reading their letters can actually make you sick.

I guess I am fortunate that I am happy for each card I get, each letter someone took the time to write, and I'm not picky about whether it has my name at the top. I'm happy they thought of our family at all. And I'm happy they had a good year, and that they love their children, and each other. At least enough to say nice things about each other at Christmas.

Too bad that tidings of good cheer at Christmas can make some people sick.

It might be "poor manners" to send a mass letter, but manners were never meant to give people ammunition to be ugly to each other. I am sure if the people who are sending these letters knew you were personally offended by their grammar or because they did not write a letter specifically to you they would not send it. Maybe if you tell them they are making you sick they will take you off their list next year. Save them a stamp.

I'm going to go read some of the Christmas letters I got this year so I can wipe off the ugly feeling I get hearing people make fun of their supposed friends.

I love reading Christmas letters and was disappointed this year when a friend from afar either decided not to write one or forgot to put it in. I hope they aren't getting ideas from people that don't like them and deciding not to write one. I really enjoy catching up with people I don't see often.

That said, people we see on a weekly basis don't get one from us - nor do we receive any from them. When you keep up with people, who needs letters? For that matter, why send cards to people you can wish "Merry Christmas" to in person? I HATE getting cards that are just signed. What's the value? Saving the post office or the Chinese economy (who usually makes the cards)?

I think it is a character flaw to feel jealus instead of happy for people when they share good news. I used to be that way. Now, I avoid hanging around gossipy people who get excited when others go through an ordeal. I also avoid mean spirited gossip media, like magazines with "Guess which celebrity looks fat in a bikini?" on the covers. Also, it helps to think about things I am grateful for.

I think it is a character flaw to feel jealus instead of happy for people when they share good news. I used to be that way. Now, I avoid hanging around gossipy people who get excited when others go through an ordeal. I also avoid mean spirited gossip media, like magazines with "Guess which celebrity looks fat in a bikini?" on the covers. Also, it helps to think about things I am grateful for.

:iagree: You sound like a great friend!

I may be the last person alive who enjoys getting holiday letters. :001_smile:

You're not alone!! I love getting them and love sending ours.

Perhaps I'm lame, but I love Christmas letters! ;)

Same here. I work very hard on our letter. It makes me sad to think that someone may think it bragging, or a sock in the stomach.

:iagree: You sound like a great friend!

I agree. Please send me your address. I'll send you one of our letters.

Put me in the really like the letters camp. I only actually get one per year and it is the most exciting card we get. I have been doing a letter for 21 years now. Sometimes they are short and sweet. Other times, like this year, they are longer. Depends on what it on my heart. I have only heard from people that are looking forward to my letter, so I don't know otherwise. I figure it is like when somebody fwds you an email. You have the option of deleting or in this case throwing it away. I write from my heart. It is not all good. This year's letter spoke of being absolutely depressed when my ds left for Alaska and very soon to Iraq. Then I spoke of how I prayed for activity and friends to lift me from my lows. How God is amazing and answers prayers. I also spoke of many other day to day stuff. Somebody will love my letter and then there will be my brother's wacky girlfriend that will pick it apart like crazy. There really is no winning, so I just do what I love and that is write about what is on my heart.

Well, I love getting Christmas letters. I don't mind at all when people tell me about the things their kids are doing and their accomplishments. Many kids - especially homeschooled kids - get very little recognition for the things they work hard on and accomplish, so I don't begrudge a few "'at-a-boys" in Christmas letters.

Most of the ones we get are from friends and relatives who live far away, and we may never actually meet their children, but this is a small way that we can keep in touch and remember the many blessings that God has given.

Utilizing proper WTM methods, I group all letters and photos of each year, put them into a page protector, and store them in a big binder. It's my long-term modern history project. :D

I always send a short, boring letter because I'm one of those unfortunately ungifted writers. (See what I mean?)

Edited by Susan in TN

This is a little different from a letter, but every year I put together a photo album of the kids for the grandparents, their only gift usually. This year was extremely difficult for us financially, time-wise, a lot of stress and worry and issues with my 4yo. But when I looked through the album my kids look like the most privileged kids on the planet with all sorts of outings, sports teams, group family camping, etc. I mean, I'm a little worried about sending it to the inlaws that live across the country that they will get the idea that we are wealthy! I guess my point is that in a one page letter you are going to get the highlights, and most people would think it weird to have a big discussion of challenges etc. in a letter to people you aren't that close to. Also bragging is somewhat acceptable in these letters.

That said I don't do a Christmas letter myself - I'm usually lucky to send cards with pictures out before Christmas at all...

I also love getting letters. I am so disappointed when I open a Christmas card just to find a signature...what a waste of a stamp! But when there is a photo and/or a letter...I love it.

Yes, we have a few friends whose letters always make us laugh...or groan a little...or something. It's just that they act as though we are all a part of this huge competition for having the best kid...and theirs is the winner. You know, like little "Julie is in the gifted program again, working up two grade levels, is first chair violin, won the state track meet, serves in the soup kitchen each week, is the top student in her Chinese class", etc. What I love is to hear a bit about the kids: "Julie works hard in school and loves learning new things. She is still playing the violin and running track, and decided to add in Chinese this year. She is such a sweet girl and loves to make new friends with everyone she meets. We love her sense of humor and appreciate her happy attitude."

Maybe it's just me...but those kind of letters are fun to read & I love them. I also enjoy the kind that tell about funny things that happened over the year or funny things the kids say.

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

You stated this just the way I wish I had been able to!!!