Menu

When do you take your baby out in public?

My DD will be 4weeks on Sunday and I am trying to decide if we should take her to the Christmas program on Sunday night or not. My ds is in it and I want to go. I could try to find a sitter or just keep her with me, but everyone will want to take a look. I don't sense that there are alot of people sick around here right now. I have never really worried about it before, but with H1N1, I am concerned.

A sling does help. You can also halt anyone before they get too close. I'd just say something like, "With it being cold and flu season, I'd prefer if you'd admire her from a distance."

If it helps any, our pediatrician told me yesterday that he thinks H1N1 peaked a month ago.

If I had a winter baby I probably wouldn't take her out any if I could help it...just to family's houses..not public places. But I understand the need / want to get out! Like the others said, I'd definitely use a sling & heavy caution as well.

My son was born in May though and we began going out in public the day we left the hospital. He was in Walmart at 4 days old, church at one week, and a restaurant at 1 week old. He's never had a cold or flu or ear problems. I'm much more cautious now b/c of H1n1 than I was when he was a baby!

So... I guess it varies as to the best time. :)

With DD#1 we stopped at WalMart on the way home from the hospital. So DD was about 48 hours old.

With DD#2, I begged to get out of the hospital within 24 hours (and they let me), and a few hours later we were sitting with my parents and sisters at a BBQ joint with my 24 hour old baby sleeping in the sling.

I do not do well with the whole "keeping baby in the house" thing for the first few weeks.

Six weeks outdoors, 12 weeks inside where she has to breathe everybody else's germs. Newborns' immune systems are not strong enough for that kind of assault. (By six weeks indoor, I mean public places. My kids have always gone outside every day for a bit of sun and fresh air.)

One of my children was born near T'giving and we did all our holiday gatherings as scheduled. I plopped the baby in a sling and he pretty much nursed the entire month of December away.

I personally like a nice baby moon, so if you want to stay put with a newborn, you should. There are not many opportunites to slow down in our culture, but having a new baby should be the perfect reason to do just that.

Edited by LibraryLover

We've also stopped at the store on the way home from the hospital with a couple of my kids. With my last one, he was born at home but was just 10 days old when we drove to the airport to pick up daddy. ;) Dad's plane got delayed so we also ended up going to Chick-Fil-A and to see his great-great aunt too while waiting 5 hours for the plane to arrive. It was too long of a drive to the airport to turn around and go home and come right back again.)

I'm also not one to sequester myself and the baby to the house. I'm certainly not going to visit a sick person but just going out in public has never made any problems.

6 weeks, except for the dr or a relative's house.

I personally like a nice baby moon, so if you want to stay put with a newborn, you should. There are not many opportunites to slow down in our culture, but having a new baby should be the perfect reason to do just that.

I am SO looking forward to that with this baby. I am definitely using the excuse and hibernating for a good while. :D

On the way home from hospital we stopped off in a baby accessories shop for clothes for dd2, who was tiny and needed preme clothes. ALL the pregnant ladies in the place cooed over her, but she was fine! :001_smile: I wasn't, one shouldn't overdo it after a c-section!:glare:

All 3 of ours went to church as soon as I could make it, but I liked people admiring them. If you're not so sure it might not be the best idea.

I took mine out at 2wks or sooner, BUT I kept them in a front carrier on my body at all times...covered their hands (why do people always want to touch babies' hands???:glare:

I kept a recieving blanket with me at all times too...carrying the baby...with a thin blanket over baby while you are walking through a crowd sends the message that baby is off limits. An added bonus is that my babies always slept soundly in a front carrier, so it means I could actually sit and watch what I wanted to see.

All 3 of ours went to church as soon as I could make it, but I liked people admiring them. If you're not so sure it might not be the best idea.

I, too, liked showing off baby and never minded handed them over to others to hold, snuggle, and coo over. Dd#2 was born on a Wednesday night and we had her in church on Sunday and in the nursery on the next Wednesday night.

Mine were Sept. and Oct. babies.

I might be more cautious if I had one now with H1N1 floating around, but then again, maybe not. We always were of the "have baby, will travel" philosophy.

People like to touch babies' heads because they are sweet and soft. I don't see the harm in that.

You know I have never really cared WHERE people touch my babies--but this one puts her hands in her mouth alot. I am beginning to really like the sling idea when with people:)

I let my toddlers touch her hands and feet, but not head and face-I do try to make sure they wash their hands often though.

I was pretty casual about it with the last 3. Under 2 weeks. I needed to get things from the store.

With it being winter, and with H1N1 supposedly running rampant, I would be more hesitant.

I suppose in a sling, with no one touching the baby it might not be so bad, but I would want to avoid places that lots of children frequent. Germs are air born and children are notorious for not covering their mouths when they cough and sneeze.

I'm normally not overly paranoid about these things, but I would rather not take any chances with H1N1, and a newborn. I am also slightly paranoid right now because I am pregnant and for some reason I get paranoid every time I'm pregnant.

I've had all my babies out everywhere by two weeks.

First two... never an illness until they were well over the age of one and nothing major ever.

Baby number three (fully breastfed, ALWAYS in a sling) caught meningitis at five weeks and was hospitalized.

We will stay in with any future babies until they are two months old. Period. It's not worth the risk.

I do NOT like being home and it is really hard for me not to get out. I figured breastfeeding, baby wearing, we'd be fine. Watching my newborn get a spinal tap changed my mind.

The day she was released from hospital I was out visiting people so 5 days old, She was with me at bible study by 8 days old. My other kids were much the same. I didn't drive with my oldest so at 2 weeks we were taking buses and the LRT(like a subway but above ground). I did not let others hold them however or touch them without using handsantizer first and I carried it with me everywhere. With the younger ones there was no choice to hibernate, the older kids have activities and such I still had to take them to, so away we all went.

Six weeks outdoors, 12 weeks inside where she has to breathe everybody else's germs. Newborns' immune systems are not strong enough for that kind of assault. (By six weeks indoor, I mean public places. My kids have always gone outside every day for a bit of sun and fresh air.)

apparently that's not a 100% accurate statement ;)

In a sling, or a babe in arms, or in a Baby Bjorn after the first month or two, is just fine.

When DD was a week old we walked up to a Chinese restaurant with her. The waitresses all went crazy! No one bothered us or got too close.

She attended church at no more than 10 days old. I thought it was most important that she be at church right away--much more so than anything else.

At 2 weeks we flew 2/3 of the way across the country. The ped. questioned this, and we got specific instructions from her about that, but it worked out fine.

Just don't let anyone touch her, and don't keep her down low in child sneezing range.

apparently that's not a 100% accurate statement ;)

Well, most babies won't get sick... but if they DO get sick, it will potentially be much worse than with an older child. Viruses that cause common ailments in older children and adults cause severe illness in infants.

People like to touch babies' heads because they are sweet and soft. I don't see the harm in that.

Not sure if this was in reference to my post, ...there is no harm in touching babies heads...it's the HANDS that irk me to no end. People cough/sneeze/shake hands with 20 people and then go and play with my infant's hands...that WILL make it to babies' mouth. :glare:

I'm generally not a germaphobe...but ...

It's my understanding that bf'd babies have more immunities in the first six weeks than later on. I always took mine out early--not because I had planned to, but that's just the way life happened. My middle child was out on day 2 to buy a business license so we wouldn't have to pay some big fine! The youngest was born at home but had to go to the hospital on the evening of day 1. Day 4 we were at WalMart getting meds. I never really worried about it too much, but then I don't let strangers hover over or hold my little ones.

Honestly, about 2 days. I am not a hibernator. My babies are just folded into my routine. They are incredibly resilient. My kids have incredible immune systems. I do not believe in sequestering babies.

Same here. At 6 days we took J out for dinner. At 3 days I took C to a picnic. At 2 days I took M out shopping because I was expecting another boy and I just HAD to have pink stuff :lol:

I took my last out for a big meal at a restaurant when he was less than 24 hours old. The poor waiter. He was shocked to see such a small newborn at one of his tables and inquired if he was only a week or two old. He was left speechless, literally :D when I told him how old the baby actually was. :) Needless to say, he doted and fretted over us for the entire meal. Atleast he didn't balk at how many of us were at the table. ;)

I think we stayed home for a good portion of the following weeks however, since it was the height of flu season, and well, poor mama really needed her rest. :D

Well, my exclusively breastfed son was hospitalized for a week, given every test under the sun (including a spinal tap) at six weeks of age. I wish I had kept him home. We still don't know how/where he got it. I was totally of the "oh, breastfed babies have excellent immune systems" school of thought. And maybe he did have a good immune system- but it wasn't good enough.

It's great that so many babies are out so early with no problems....but I'm with the PP that said watching her child undergo a spinal tap changed her perspective.

I took my twins on a one way trip to Canada when they were 10-14 days. Nobody could touch them, but we certainly got attention!!

Other than that, in general I am not too happy about bringing babies around in cold season, indoor were germs can easily be spread. Ds got pertussis at 4 weeks of age -at a playground where a kid coughed directly onto him, so even outside you can't be safe. We almost lost him then, but he has since then barely been ill.

Honestly, about 2 days. I am not a hibernator. My babies are just folded into my routine. They are incredibly resilient. My kids have incredible immune systems. I do not believe in sequestering babies.

I had my oldest on a Saturday and we went to the outlet mall on Monday with a friend of mine. I never even heard of sequestering a baby. He's only been on one round of antibiotics during his whole 13 years, his 12yo brother's only been on them twice and that was many years ago with a mild ear infection a very mild case of strep.

My oldest ate a piece of a discarded pretzel, covered with dust-bunnies, off the floor of a shopping mall when he was a toddler. He credits that magic pretzel with his good health.

With my first three, we were out immediately, let people hold the babies at church, etc. With B & T all was well. Not so with D, who ended up spending a night in the hospital at less than a week old. She didn't have a spinal tap, but did end up with a chest x-ray, an IV, and steroidal breathing treatments. :glare: She was exclusively breastfed, and based on past experience I thought it was fine to take her to church right away. I really, really wished I hadn't, though, after the hospital experience.

L was born 7 weeks premature. His first two weeks of life were spent in the NICU. Upon his release, we were advised to keep him home (except for Dr. visits) until he was 3 months old. We did; it wasn't always easy (dh and I took turns going to church) but we did NOT want to end up in the hospital again.

I'm debating what I'll do with this new one once he arrives. I'm leaning toward bringing him to church right away, but in a Moby wrap or sling. I may also ask people to use hand sanitizer if they want to touch him (or invite them to come visit our house if they want to hold him.) That was what my friend from church who had a baby shortly after D was born did. I think some of the older ladies were a bit put out, but her little guy didn't get sick, so it was worth it. :)

My DD will be 4weeks on Sunday and I am trying to decide if we should take her to the Christmas program on Sunday night or not. My ds is in it and I want to go. I could try to find a sitter or just keep her with me, but everyone will want to take a look. I don't sense that there are alot of people sick around here right now. I have never really worried about it before, but with H1N1, I am concerned.

I used to not worry about it. Then my 3rd born got a slight fever at 7 days old. Before they are a month old, the protocal with a fever included chest xray, spinal tap, and high powered antibiotics before they even know what's wrong. They can't afford to wait for the results because if the child has something, they can lose the child before the results come back. They have almost no immune system---even if you are breastfeeding. My son had a virus--no big deal--but we went through all that.

At 2 weeks, I wouldn't risk it.

It's my understanding that bf'd babies have more immunities in the first six weeks than later on. I always took mine out early--not because I had planned to, but that's just the way life happened. My middle child was out on day 2 to buy a business license so we wouldn't have to pay some big fine! The youngest was born at home but had to go to the hospital on the evening of day 1. Day 4 we were at WalMart getting meds. I never really worried about it too much, but then I don't let strangers hover over or hold my little ones.

I found out that that is not true the hard way. One of my ds's got something from his brother in his first week, and the doctor (and a friend who was a pediatrician as well) told me that they have a very, very immature immune system and breastfeeding doesn't make all that much difference. Ds had to have chest x-ray, IV antibiotics, spinal tap because if they cannot fight things well at all. I protested and argued and the doctor told me about babies he had lost before this protocal became universal. He said he would see one in his office, and things would look pretty mild and 3 hours later, the infant could be dead.