Menu

S/O How Does Your DH Feel About Extended BF?

How Does Your DH Feel About Extended BF?  

1. 1. How Does Your DH Feel About Extended BF?

• Totally supportive
    • Somewhat supportive
    • Opposed
    • Other (please explain)

I nursed my first until her 3rd birthday. I had been tandem nursing for a year and dealing with severe depression, and my doctor asked me to consider weaning my oldest. I weaned my other two around the age of two because I go on 4 day retreats twice a year. I'm allowed to bring my baby until they are two, so the retreat that falls about a month before or the first one after their second birthday is a good time to wean since I'm already gone for 4 days. I just don't offer when I get back, and they never asked.

DH has always supported everything...natural birth (including home birth), extended breastfeeding, co-sleeping, not vaccinating, and home schooling. Actually, to say he supports it isn't accurate, he advocates these things.

Totally supportive from the get-go. He knew me well. lol

He's also really trusting of kid needs. He never thought that his little babies were anything less than perect. ;) Therefore he never considered that there was anything wrong with his kidlets wanting to nurse past infancy. He never raised an eyebrow ever. He's a geekola anyway.

Edited by LibraryLover

Mine didn't really care either way. He wasn't enthusiastic, but he never pressured me to wean either - even though nursing a 4+ year old meant limited visitation with her when he was living out of state (for 3 years). He's supportive in the sense that even if he disagrees with me, he trusts me as a parent to do what I feel is right by our kids. I raise my kids the way I was raised, and we both agree that of our two families mine is the preferred model.

It was sort of an extention of my pregnancy and labor (to him); it was just my show to run as I saw fit.

Actually, to say he supports it isn't accurate, he advocates these things.

:iagree:

Dh will initiate a conversation about birth and breastfeeding with just about anyone. I do remind him not to be too pushy, but I also think it's great. Most dads could use more support so they can support the mamas!

My DH was not supportive of breastfeeding before we had the baby. He was a quite weirded out by it and had never even known anyone who really breastfed (He was 24 when our first was born). It took a lot to get past the "sexual objectification" of the breast.

When the baby arrived, he warmed up to the idea over the first few days. He supported me in that he knew I wanted to do what I felt was best for the baby. He never questioned me on when I would stop or anything (weaned DS between 16 and 17 months), and never said anything negative about it.

Define extended bfing, lol...

To some it means past 6 months, or maybe a year.

My longest nursling weaned at 23 months, and compared to how long most of my friends nursed, that was really early!

Are you talking past a year or past two, or three or more?

My dh never batted an eye at my nursing my kids as long as I did, nor at all those friends who nursed even longer.

I voted somewhat supportive.

When Owen was about 17 months old he asked when we were going to stop. He was the only baby that I nursed beyond 1 year.

That was early winter, and I wanted to stick with it through cold and flu season. I'm glad I did too. That January, everyone in our family, except Owen, got the flu. And he even kissed, snuggled and slept me with me through the whole thing. My husband understood my reasoning and was supportive.

He continued to be supportive, occasionally asking when I was going to stop, up until we finally stopped.

My dh would never advocate early weaning (ie before 24 months), and even if he did I think he would understand that it is not up to him ;) So I'd say he is supportive if dd decides to breastfeed for 3 or 4 years. However I can imagine that if she is still breastfeeding at 7 or 8 years of age, he might start hinting that it's getting time to encourage other interests:lol:

My dh is 100% supportive of bfing and extended bfing. Weaning is completely up to me and baby, dh doesn't care how long. Once dh had some kind of eye infection and after several applications of breastmilk, his eye was all better by the next day. From red and swollen and sore to all better- he thinks breastmilk is quite miraculous and beneficial. So he's happy that the kids get it for a long time, as long as it's still working for me.

Dh has been 100% supportive of extended breastfeeding with all 4 of our children. It was a real struggle at the beginning to establish a good nursing relationship with my oldest, and I think I would have given up within the first couple of weeks without dh's encouragement. Instead, we made it 3 years!

I'm a retired LaLeche League Leader and my hubby is 100% supportive of breastfeeding, extended nursing, and child-led weaning.

It's funny.....I've heard him give nursing advice to friends and family members on numerous occasions (when asked, of course). Everyone's just tickled that he knows so much about it. He tells me that he listened to me give advice in person and over the phone for years...he just paid attention, too! :lol:

I said somewhat supportive. I nursed Miss Bossy for 30 months. I know that's not considered extended, but Dh did start asking if I was ever going to wean her.

I think he will be more supportive of my nursing the new baby longer, because he was just commenting this morning on how Miss Bossy never had an ear infection, and never gets sick at all.

Dh is in the mildly creeped out, but as long as it's private and not for the wrong reasons, fine catergory (iow, other).

It would make him terribly uncomfortable to see anyone nursing an older child and part of him thinks there's something wierd about it, but at the same time, he figures it's none of his business.

My DH was definately not on board with breastfeeding our first. But he had also known NO ONE who had not used formula. He envisioned holding his children and feeding them with a bottle.

However, he did come around and was completely supportive with our second and third. He never put any limits on the nursing - but I know he was more supportive knowing that I was discreet - at least when he was around us in public. ;) We just didn't tell his family that the kids were nursing past a year, and kept the peace that way, too. My family didn't seem to care, and my mom learned a lot through me.

Dh was on the same journey as me. We both were a little weirded out by the though of bf-ing into toddlerhood. However, our views evolved with our children's needs. He is totally supportive. He has even extolled the virtues to his secretary and other women at work.

I was almost scared to admit that. I know how strongly you support bfing, thank you for making it okay to be a little wierded out :grouphug:

My DH was an extended bfer. He bf until almost 5yo. He was shamed by other people who knew about it. He remembers bfing and liking it, but also feeling ashamed because people said he was a big boy etc and should not be bfing.

He is ok with somewhat extended bfing...to like age 3 at max. He encourages me to bf until age 2. But after they get to an age where they will remember and other people will make comments, he is no longer comfortable with it. He doesnt want our kids to feel like he did about it. In general he is VERY supportive of bfing and does everything he can do to help me in that area. Getting water for me to drink, giving me quiet time, encouraging me to relax and eat well etc.

(I never was never BF and my family all think it is weird, so his support is very important to me!)

100%... And he put up with all those years I was a LLLL, now that's dedication. Nothing like receiving a call at 2am from a frantic dad, crying wife and screaming baby.

:iagree:

Dh is in the mildly creeped out, but as long as it's private and not for the wrong reasons, fine catergory (iow, other).

What could that even possibly mean? I don't think I even want to know what that's supposed to mean.

Dh was on the same journey as me. We both were a little weirded out by the though of bf-ing into toddlerhood. However, our views evolved with our children's needs. He is totally supportive. He has even extolled the virtues to his secretary and other women at work.

Same here, except for the work part. People at dh's work already say nasty things to him about us having 5 children, so he doesn't share anything as "out there" ;) as extended nursing.

At first he said no way in public after age 2, and at home if I wanted to but it would be weeeeeird.

Now that dd IS 2, it's not even an issue. She bfs wherever she is with zero complaints (and some vocal support) from dh. Because now it's not some imaginary 2-year-old. It's just wee little dd who loves nursing :D

Scoff? I am seriously shocked that anyone would imply a mom would breastfeed for her own personal gratification.

That is a very common misconception. I regularly hear "Oh, breastfeeding is definitely best, but after [insert magical arbitrary age, anywhere from 3 months to 3 years] it's only for the mother, and probably damages the child emotionally". When I think of the sheer amount of pain I have gone through to breastfeed my children (even when I am not having any problems the best I ever get is mildly uncomfortable instead of actually painful) I feel like slapping these people :glare:

Btw, anyone who is not 110% in favor of mothers and children breastfeeding for as long as they like should consider reading of The Politics of Breastfeeding by Gabrielle Palmer. Parts of it were eye opening for me, even though I'm a breastfeeding counselor and educator. I used to think that some people were over the top with breastfeeding advocacy, but now I'm not so sure.

Edited by Hotdrink

The reason I posted this was because my DH feels that by the time the child is old enough to ask for it, then he/she is too old to receive it. He wants our kids weaned by their 1st birthday. His own mom weaned his brother at 4 mos when she returned to her FT teaching position. My mom, by contrast, nursed my youngest brother until he was 2. So I grew up thinking that nursing a toddler is normal, while he grew up with the norm of nursing only infants.

The reason I posted this was because my DH feels that by the time the child is old enough to ask for it, then he/she is too old to receive it. He wants our kids weaned by their 1st birthday. His own mom weaned his brother at 4 mos when she returned to her FT teaching position. My mom, by contrast, nursed my youngest brother until he was 2. So I grew up thinking that nursing a toddler is normal, while he grew up with the norm of nursing only infants.

Does he know that the World Health Organization recommends babies nurse for 2 years (they really need all the help in the myelination of their brains as they come up to age two). Baby's IQ goes up more the longer they breastfeed. First decent link I found: http://www.enotalone.com/article/3603.html

A mini-class in college I took talked about how the myelination explodes right before age two as they develop a bunch of new pathways. And breastmilk helps with that a lot.