Menu

Looking for a really good all girls boarding school for DD12...

I am only half-kidding.

(Yes, it's one of those days.)

So, for fun, if budget was no issue, is there a fantastic boarding school you would consider for your dc?

Never. A cattery is what a girl's boarding school would be. It would be akin to throwing a goldfish in a shark tank.

This is personal experience talking although my boarding school was co-ed.

Never. A cattery is what a girl's boarding school would be. It would be akin to throwing a goldfish in a shark tank.

As another boarding school alum (I went from age 11 to 17), my answer would be never too.

I do understand the sentiment though!

Ugh, when I was in high school, my mother decided I was too difficult a child to continue having at home so she decided to get brochures on boarding schools and lay them around the house, in order to scare me into being her perfect Stepford child. Backfired on her, though. I hated being around her about as much as she hated being around me. I gathered up the brochures, read them, and found one that I liked. I went to her, handed her the brochure and said, "I like this one. When can I leave?" Boarding school was never mentioned again.

So, moral of the story: If you threaten it, you'd better mean it, because it might come back to bite you! LOL

(I realize you're venting frustration and 99.9% of mothers out there are NOT like mine.)

I'm from Connecticut and it actually is a very popular option with parents.

My niece went to visit several but ultimately landed at a private school (it was her idea, not her parents).

My family thinks boarding school is a better option than homeschool so they like to drop not so subtle hints to me.

I have mentioned it to my daughter just to see her reaction and she is horrified. It was never an idea that even occurred to me. I would miss the daily interactions and everything else (fighting with her brother, etc).

My dh and I met at boarding school. We attended a pretty elite one, with a great education. There were positives and negatives. We have decided to send our dc to boarding school for one year: a "PG" (post graduate) year. Many students go to boarding school after graduating another high school, because they want an extra year to bring their grades up or get recruited for sports. We think it will be an excellent opportunity for our kids to get ready for college life, adjust to living away from home, having teachers, roommates, freedom, while having a much bigger support system than they would at college.

My dh and I met at boarding school. We attended a pretty elite one, with a great education. There were positives and negatives. We have decided to send our dc to boarding school for one year: a "PG" (post graduate) year. Many students go to boarding school after graduating another high school, because they want an extra year to bring their grades up or get recruited for sports. We think it will be an excellent opportunity for our kids to get ready for college life, adjust to living away from home, having teachers, roommates, freedom, while having a much bigger support system than they would at college.

So, where will you send them?

Ugh, when I was in high school, my mother decided I was too difficult a child to continue having at home so she decided to get brochures on boarding schools and lay them around the house, in order to scare me into being her perfect Stepford child. Backfired on her, though. I hated being around her about as much as she hated being around me. I gathered up the brochures, read them, and found one that I liked. I went to her, handed her the brochure and said, "I like this one. When can I leave?" Boarding school was never mentioned again.

So, moral of the story: If you threaten it, you'd better mean it, because it might come back to bite you! LOL

(I realize you're venting frustration and 99.9% of mothers out there are NOT like mine.)

:lol: (but also :grouphug:)

I loved my parents, but I used to fantasize about boarding school when I was a kid. I wanted to go so badly! I loved living at college :D Of course, I mentioned sleepaway camp to DD7 not long ago and she was horrified at the concept. She said, "WHY would anyone want to do that?!" She's my little sidekick, that one :)

We do joke about boarding/military preschool for DD4, however :glare: Probably too often!

Not all girls, but if we could and the kids wanted to, I would choose Exeter. I would not send a child under 15 to boarding school, however.

And I know you're kidding about boarding school, but still. I'd consider it depending on the child/school/moola.

Interesting: my dh and I attended Phillips Andover, very closely related to Phillips Exeter and huge rivals:)

To answer a pp, we will send our kids where ever they choose of the schools they get accepted to, but will probably encourage them to apply to Choate Rosemary, Lawrenceville, P. Exeter, P. Andover, Hotchkiss, Episcopal, St. Andrew's, Cranbrook, Culver Academy, The Cate School, Taft, and St. George's. Just a few names from our nieces who went to boarding school and when we were around, but we would have to look a lot more closely later on--our oldest are 10.

For some, boarding schools are a terrific option. One of my brothers went to Cranbrook and I got in to St. Paul's, although I didn't go due to a family tragedy.

My eldest went to the Illinois Math and Science Academy (IMSA). He had mostly good experiences but some bad as well which, IMO, were largely the fault of the young, inexperienced principal. How he ever got the position is beyond me.

My youngest would pack his suitcase and leave immediately without even a good-bye if he could attend Hogwarts. LOL. Westminster in the UK (like Hogwarts but weirder) might be a good substitute.

As a sidenote, many boarding schools have good reading lists for the summer and school year.

I had a cousin who went to Milton, then Brown.

He wanted to play professional hockey but his interests changed at Brown. He did play hockey at both schools, though.

I know of a few boys around here who go to prep schools for hockey and I think my heart would break if my DS left.

A frequent poster here has a DD that goes to Mary Baldwin...can't remmeber who it is though...

I almost mentioned that in my post. One of my kis would be perfect for a PG year.

Edited by LibraryLover

however . . . . because we were unable to get one of our sibs to be the designated guardian in our will for "just in case." We had to ask friends of our who have 6 kids of their own and my elderly parents. We've told them both that a good boarding school is totally acceptable if they can just be the family to call for help and come home to for the holidays.

I'd forgotten that's in our will. I hope it never becomes a reality but it was the best arrangement we could make for our kids because no one else wanted the job.

what were the downsides that would keep you from sending your own dc? Were they inherintly boarding school issues or things that dc would encounter in PS as well? Is there an age/grade that would be best for entering? How could you have been better prepared?

I am only half-kidding.

So, for fun, if budget was no issue, is there a fantastic boarding school you would consider for your dc?

I think it would be very hard for to squeeze as much hands-on parenting as I feel responsible to provide my kids even if they were only gone 8 hours per day at a traditional school. Boarding school could never be an option for our family.

When I was nine, I discovered the concept of boarding schools. (Thank you Southern Living!) I thought that THIS was the answer to all my problems. (My relationship with my parents was.......contentious.)

I lobbied to be sent there, but sadly, they would not. To this day, I still think it would have been good for me.

my cousin goes to Presbyterian ladies collage, in Melbourne. it is the elite of the elite. It costs my uncle $40,000 per year for the basics, with music, rowing etc. extra.

you have to be booked in as soon as you are born to get a place. ( not meaning that you go to school then, just the waiting list is so long)

My husband went to boarding school here:

http://www.ashevilleschool.org/

He would LOVE to send them. I'm not so sure.....

My dh taught there for 4 years (I think you and I met at the WTM conference...). The have a great humanities department. Overall the faculty is quite good.

DH taught at Westminster School in CT for 5 years. With 9 years of boarding school under our belts, we saw the good and bad. Just like almost any other school, I would not send a girl unless she was particularly strong natured.

what were the downsides that would keep you from sending your own dc? Were they inherintly boarding school issues or things that dc would encounter in PS as well? Is there an age/grade that would be best for entering? How could you have been better prepared?

The thing with boarding school is that there are no adults advocating for you. It's always the group status quo that must be maintained at all cost. And the cost is usually individuals.

The Lord of the Flies mentality was a current running just below the surface at all times.

Important firsts were influenced by peers and never by absent parents.

I started in 6th grade. My older sisters were in 7th and 9th grades. Our boarding school started at 2nd grade. K-1st were homeschooled.

Yes, it was alot of ps issues. But in a 24/7 kind of way, relentless.

We live only a couple of miles from a military academy, which we drive by almost daily. There have been a few times that I have casually mentioned to the kids that if they didn't fix their bad attitudes and behavior, the military school was always an option.

They don't know what to think, is mom kidding or serious? And I guess it would depend on the day!

The thing with boarding school is that there are no adults advocating for you. It's always the group status quo that must be maintained at all cost. And the cost is usually individuals.

The Lord of the Flies mentality was a current running just below the surface at all times.

Important firsts were influenced by peers and never by absent parents.

I started in 6th grade. My older sisters were in 7th and 9th grades. Our boarding school started at 2nd grade. K-1st were homeschooled.

Yes, it was alot of ps issues. But in a 24/7 kind of way, relentless.

Yes! From my own personal experience of going to boarding school from 7th - 12th grade, I agree with this 100%.

Actually the school part of boarding school for me was pretty good. The boarding part was pretty bad.

My dh taught there for 4 years (I think you and I met at the WTM conference...). The have a great humanities department. Overall the faculty is quite good.

DH taught at Westminster School in CT for 5 years. With 9 years of boarding school under our belts, we saw the good and bad. Just like almost any other school, I would not send a girl unless she was particularly strong natured.

I've never been to a WTM conference so I'm guessing not but that is neat that there are at least 3 of us :tongue_smilie: My husband graduated in 1992. We met at UNC-CH. Seems like he is still good friends with most of his Asheville buddies. That part I admire.

When did your husband teach there? I've been a few times to see the campus and it is beautiful. I'm always amazed given that I went to a very poor public high school - such a HUGE difference. I believe my husband still holds the discus throwing record at Asheville and that place in the gym where they have all the names was particularly impressive to me. That and the labs and art and just general STUFF that is available. That said, we did both get into the same college :tongue_smilie:

My oldest and youngest are girls (11 and 2). The three in the middle are boys. Why would you not send a girl unless she was particularly strong natured? Just general peer pressure? Or something else? Feel free to PM me :001_smile:

I am only half-kidding.

No.... not a boarding school.

We have been given the opportunity to enroll Ds#1 to a boarding school about hour from where we live (10-12th grades only). It is a state school (Illinois Math and Science Academy https://www3.imsa.edu/). But we just really don't like the idea of our kids attending a boarding school.

Although there are some days it sure is tempting to ship them off!!!!