Menu

Your preferred way of popping corn?

I use this to pop corn  

1. 1. I use this to pop corn

• Microwave popcorn bags
    • Microwave popcorn bowl (you supply kernels)
    • Regular pot
    • Popcorn kettle (has a stirrer thing in lid)
    • Air popper

Huh? Oh please do tell...

You put your kernels in a brown bag & pop them. Period.

Dh has been spraying his popcorn w/ olive oil spray & adding salt & pepper since he quit dairy. It's the first time I've *ever* liked popcorn, & he's so excited, he makes it almost every night. :lol:

I put a bit of oil in a pot, add kernels, shake. All done, tastes great, just add salt (with the bit of oil from the popping, I don't feel any need to add butter).

You know what's crazy? I can buy organic popcorn kernels at Whole Foods (in a bag -not even bulk stuff which is even cheaper but doesn't pop very well) for about half the price of Orville Redenbacher kernels at the regular grocery. All I can think is that OR must've waaay upped the price because it still seems cheap compared to the microwave bags.

I LOVE popcorn on the stove for flavor, but for pure ease, I love our microwave popper (Back to Basics) which cost me $9 new on eBay, so I voted microwave popper, add your own. In 2 minutes 30 seconds you get wonderful popcorn, dry popped or with oil or butter. I use about a TBSP or olive oil, then I add about 1/4 cup of organic kernels which I buy buy at our local "crunchy" grocery store (not Whole Foods, but a local chain) for crazy-cheap $1.49 a pound!

As a side note, I hadn't eaten popcorn in years (microwave bags, movie theater, etc.) as I thought it gave me, ahem, digestion difficulties. I had some popcorn prepared this way at a friend's home and surprise, had no issues. It was't the popcorn, it must have been some artificial ingredient in the processed popcorn that was causing the issues. :glare:

You left off brown paper bag. Someone here suggested it, & that's all we do now.

That might have been me. We just cover the bottom of a plain brown paper bag, fold shut the top of the bag, and pop in the micrwave, reuse paper bag a couple of times. That's how we do it most often. However, our **prefered** method is to pop it in the fire place!

Neither of those was a choice so I didn't vote.

This is what we do too - on the stove with coconut oil. Top with some sea salt and it's gone very quickly in these parts. :)

We've started using coconut oil too! My doctor told us years ago about this method and how delicious it was, but the first time I tried it was this summer when my mil made it. I think I asked for popcorn every night we were there. :D

She gave me a big jar of coconut oil and we've been using it ever since!

We have had three different kinds of popcorn poppers. However, we got sick and tired of heaving small appliances into the ever-growing garbage landfills of our nation and decided to try popping it in a pot. Holy cow! It was sooooo easy! And it makes superior popcorn. We have an old, cheap pot from the early days of marriage that is the dedicated popcorn pot. We whip it up in just a few minutes, and have been complimented by many for the tasty result.

Popcorn is so much tastier and crispier when done in a pot on the stove. Mmmmm!

Once you perfect the method with a little practice( I add 1/2 oil, 1/2 butter, use medium high heat, put my right hand on the handle of the pot, left hand on the pot lid w/ pot holder and shake continuously once kernels start popping) there is absolutely no substitute for the texture and flavor of popcorn popped on top of the stove. Yummmmo!

We use a stainless steel bowl on the stovetop. You just have to shake it so it doesn't burn.

My daughter couldn't find the foil so she thought that it would be OK to just pop the popcorn with no lid on top of the bowl. After it rained popcorn in the kitchen, she decided that she would make a better effort to find the foil next time.

There are serious health risks associated with commercial microwave popcorn, including a funny sounding (but serious) condition called "popcorn lung" that is strongly associated with breathing the vapors of a chemical used in commercial brands called "Diacetyl."

There are also concerns about plastic leaching (as gas) from the bags and being absorbed into the popcorn. And commercial microwave popcorn is foul tasting in any case.

Bill

That might have been me. We just cover the bottom of a plain brown paper bag, fold shut the top of the bag, and pop in the micrwave, reuse paper bag a couple of times. That's how we do it most often. However, our **prefered** method is to pop it in the fire place!

Neither of those was a choice so I didn't vote.

We have an old fireplace popcorn popper, too, which the kids LOVE.

My preferred method is for *DH* to make it! If we have a fire going, then we use that, if we don't, the stove top is the way to go!