Menu

American Girl's new doll is 'homeless'....

Tammy

I think that is a bit much.....if you ask me, LOL. Here is the article:

American Girl released an addition to its collection of sociologically accurate dolls this year -- and she's homeless.

The Wisconsin-based company, whose Web site declares that it celebrates girls and all they can be, is well-known for its tasteful, well-researched dolls reflecting certain periods in American history. Now, Gwen Thompson joins the company's line.

Gwen's story is told through another doll's biography, which, according to The New York Post, is decidedly modern: Her father ran out on the family and her mother lost her job. By winter, the fatherless family is living in their car. The doll sells for $95 and is available online or at American Girl retail locations.

We took a pause when we heard about a homeless doll.

American Girl released an addition to its collection of sociologically accurate dolls this year -- and she's homeless.

The Wisconsin-based company, whose Web site declares that it celebrates girls and all they can be, is well-known for its tasteful, well-researched dolls reflecting certain periods in American history. Now, Gwen Thompson joins the company's line.

Gwen's story is told through another doll's biography, which, according to The New York Post, is decidedly modern: Her father ran out on the family and her mother lost her job. By winter, the fatherless family is living in their car. The doll sells for $95 and is available online or at American Girl retail locations.

Why? I think it could really bring home the plight of the homeless to more advantaged children. The fact is there are homeless children out there...lots of them. And it's important for our kids to learn about them. This seems like a great way to me.

I sure hope that's only how the story begins and that by the time the usual-series-of-5-books runs its course, they will have earned much happier circumstances.

Sounds like a marketing scheme to me. You get to buy the original Gwen clothes, the out-on-the-streets Gwen clothes, then the we're-back-in-the-money Gwen clothes....

We actually have a Gwen doll, and 9 other American Girl Dolls. I consider my children to be very privileged. They live in a big house with parents who never fight.

My kids don't go to school, so they are unlikely to meet kids who are less privileged. It doesn't bother me for them to read about families that are different.

Of course, I'd much prefer it if we could go back in time and American Girls were made my Gott and not Mattel, and there were only books about historical girls instead of movies about modern girls but I'll just have to get over it.

Why can't play just be play - for fun. My children certainly know about homeless people. They are on almost every corner lately. We take donations to our church food bank and see the people there who are in need. But why a doll? Fantasy and play are good, too. There's a time for the harsh reality of our world, and there's a time for play. I do everything I can to make my girls have a lot of time to play and imagine - just for fun.

Janet

Why? I think it could really bring home the plight of the homeless to more advantaged children. The fact is there are homeless children out there...lots of them. And it's important for our kids to learn about them. This seems like a great way to me.

Yeah, it is important for my kids to learn about the problem of homelessness when they are adults and able to deal with these things and can actually do something about them. Can't my daughter just enjoy her pretty doll without having to be taught a 'lesson'?

It's really annoying that they don't--they have so many other groups represented, and the German heritage is the most populous in this country.

As for the homeless doll, to me it's a YMMV thing. I was really glad that they had the wheelchair available for their dolls. I imagined kids in wheelchairs being able to play with someone like themselves for the first time. I also imagined other kids developing some compassion from having this.

There are a LOT of homeless families around here. DD doesn't need a doll to teach her about that--we try to help with that problem with real, actual people. Every other characteristic that American Girl dolls have is pretty much lifelong, I think. Each girl would keep her ethnicity, her disability, her hobbies, her timeframe, into her adult life. But homelessness is not like that, hopefully. So for this doll the defining characteristic is one that is not permanent. It's hard for me to picture what to do with that.

I do think it's good for kids to have reason to develop compassion. I don't object to this doll, but it makes me uneasy. For what may be a better approach, there is a book from the Chicken Soup series called, "The Braids Girl" that I like a lot. This might be best for lower to upper grammar kids. In that book a family does volunteer work at a homeless shelter, and their daughter develops a friendship with one of the homeless kids. It's very well done.

While I'm not "offended" by this idea, it is a bit puzzling. On the whole, girls play with dolls to enact positive fantasies. Princesses, ballerinas, I'm a Mommy, and with AM, historical characters. I can't really think of any girl that wants to play "homeless."

Secondly, those dolls are $95. If I were AM I would be promoting some sort of "proceeds of this doll go to homeless children" angle. I just can't see anyone with $95 plopping that down for a character with a depressing story line without some sort of philanthropic incentive.

And thirdly, if I were a homeless Mom, whose husband ran out on the family and we were living in our car, I'd be pretty offended that my kids were some sort of toy idea. You don't see Darfur Barbie or Domestic Abuse Cabbage Patch dolls. This just seems a tad crude.

It's really annoying that they don't--they have so many other groups represented, and the German heritage is the most populous in this country.

They have a doll of a Swiss immigrant family. Many Swiss came through Germany before coming here. So if your issue is wanting a blonde, blue eyed European immigrant doll...they have it.

Gwen is Chrissa's friend, and Chrissa is the girl of the year this year. Her story is about how she moves to a new town and is targeted by the class' group of mean girls. She makes friends with Gwen, and at the very end of the book finds out that Gwen and her mom had been homeless for some months, but had gotten help and now have an apartment.

I can't say I see anything wrong with that storyline (my 9yo enjoyed the books). And they usually make a doll from the best friend. I don't see why it should be particularly weird, and anyway they'll have a new girl of the year in January. And Chrissa and Gwen will no longer be dolls.

ETA: looking at the AG website, I see that Chrissa's other good friend, Sonali, is also featured as a doll, and Gwen doesn't have any extra accessories. She comes with a headband, shoes, and undies, and nothing else is listed for her.

Edited by dangermom

Yeah, it is important for my kids to learn about the problem of homelessness when they are adults and able to deal with these things and can actually do something about them. Can't my daughter just enjoy her pretty doll without having to be taught a 'lesson'?

No, she can't. Why should children be allowed to just play and have fun once in a while? :blink:

I think the story line is important and its fine. Nellie (Samantha's friend) was an orphan.

The number of homeless kids in my city is up over 70%. I dont choose to hide poverty from my kids. Instead we are trying to get involved with Interfaith Hospitality Network which helps homeless families work towards getting a home.

Its amazing to me that people who are so invested in their child's education cant see the value of a doll which teaches thru a story and play.

Also, many MANY children have been abandoned by their fathers. Acknowledging that is NOT anti male.

This isn't exactly new. Here is a picture of the doll my father brought me when he was in training in Chicago in the late 60s. She was called Little Miss No Name and sold by Hasbro in 1965, not sure when she was discontinued.

Little-Miss-No-Name-1965-Hasbro-Doll-783161.jpg

The tear is removable. I was about 3 or 4 years old at the time. I have been told I kept crying because I couldn't make the doll be happy. She was around the house long enough for me to have very distinct memories of her.

This isn't exactly new. Here is a picture of the doll my father brought me when he was in training in Chicago in the late 60s. She was called Little Miss No Name and sold by Hasbro in 1965, not sure when she was discontinued.

The tear is removable. I was about 3 or 4 years old at the time. I have been told I kept crying because I couldn't make the doll be happy. She was around the house long enough for me to have very distinct memories of her.

Brought out in the 60's? Why am I not surprised?

Gwen is Chrissa's friend, and Chrissa is the girl of the year this year. Her story is about how she moves to a new town and is targeted by the class' group of mean girls. She makes friends with Gwen, and at the very end of the book finds out that Gwen and her mom had been homeless for some months, but had gotten help and now have an apartment.

This is what I was going to say. To say Gwen is "homeless" is slightly inaccurate. I don't think the storyline ever has her living on the streets -- she just lives with her mom in a shelter temporarily until they can get back on their feet financially. By the end of the story, she and her mom have moved into a place of their own. I don't see anything wrong with this part of Chrissa's storyline. (Although I was dissatisfied with the "pat" ending of the story which dealt with school bullying -- but that's a whole 'nother topic! :D)

I'm puzzled as to why this seems to be recent news. These dolls came out last January. It does seem ironic that a girl living in poverty is sold for $95, but I don't remember anyone making a ruckus about Nellie, Samantha's friend, who was poor, uneducated, worked in factories and as a maid, and was eventually orphaned.

if I were a homeless Mom, whose husband ran out on the family and we were living in our car, I'd be pretty offended that my kids were some sort of toy idea. You don't see Darfur Barbie or Domestic Abuse Cabbage Patch dolls. This just seems a tad crude.

Oh, good point. I hadn't considered that possibility.

This is what I was going to say. To say Gwen is "homeless" is slightly inaccurate. I don't think the storyline ever has her living on the streets -- she just lives with her mom in a shelter temporarily until they can get back on their feet financially. By the end of the story, she and her mom have moved into a place of their own. I don't see anything wrong with this part of Chrissa's storyline. (Although I was dissatisfied with the "pat" ending of the story which dealt with school bullying -- but that's a whole 'nother topic! :D)

I'm puzzled as to why this seems to be recent news. These dolls came out last January. It does seem ironic that a girl living in poverty is sold for $95, but I don't remember anyone making a ruckus about Nellie, Samantha's friend, who was poor, uneducated, worked in factories and as a maid, and was eventually orphaned.

You are a voice of reason :001_smile:

Facts are, we have families, single partner families struggling in this society. Living in shelters. Families abandoned my their men, and struggling to survive.

And sometimes it helps to feel "acknowledged", like your experience, and your plight isn't swept under the rug.

But a $95 doll? The clash of messages makes my brain hurt.

Bill

It's an overpriced doll company. The controversy (if there is one) is great for sales.

Who cares?

It is one thing that they want to sell the doll of the year for $95, and no wthey want you to buy 3 dolls of the year at $95 each. The doll has been out since January, why all the sudden publicity for it? Will it be 10 dolls at $95 they want people to buy next year? It appears to me since mattel took over the quality has declined, yet the price is not reflective of the quality. I find it difficult to comprehend how it is called American Girl and made in China. Makes me want to send them a piece of my mind.

They have a doll of a Swiss immigrant family. Many Swiss came through Germany before coming here. So if your issue is wanting a blonde, blue eyed European immigrant doll...they have it.

I didn't know about the Swiss one, but I have seen a Swedish one that looks like you describe.

It's the culture that I'm interested in. Each of the historical dolls reflects a culture and way of life in American--the immigrant dolls combine aspects of their 'old country' with their American situation. There should be a doll like that from Germany--it is a weird omission since German is the most common ethnic heritage in the United States.

Actually, my family is mostly German and we don't have any blondes at all. Brunettes and redheads dominate, with a few with very dark brown hair.

I didn't know about the Swiss one, but I have seen a Swedish one that looks like you describe.

It's the culture that I'm interested in. Each of the historical dolls reflects a culture and way of life in American--the immigrant dolls combine aspects of their 'old country' with their American situation. There should be a doll like that from Germany--it is a weird omission since German is the most common ethnic heritage in the United States.

I'm guessing you specifically want a first generation immigrant German doll? Kit and Ruthie are in Cincinnati, wouldn't be surprising if one or both of them was of German heritage. Agreed it's not a Palatine German doll :), which would interest me, but who knows, that might also come down the pike eventually like the Russian Jewish one. It would also be interesting to see Japanese (I'm already drooling over the possible accessories), Italian, Greek, etc.

It is one thing that they want to sell the doll of the year for $95, and no wthey want you to buy 3 dolls of the year at $95 each. The doll has been out since January, why all the sudden publicity for it? Will it be 10 dolls at $95 they want people to buy next year? It appears to me since mattel took over the quality has declined, yet the price is not reflective of the quality. I find it difficult to comprehend how it is called American Girl and made in China. Makes me want to send them a piece of my mind.

There are plenty of things called "American _____" that are made in China or other countries. Check the labels.

Of course they want you to buy as many dolls as possible each year. It's how their company makes money. No different than Nintendo wanting you to buy dozens of games, controllers, etc or Apple wanting you to buy the newest iPhone or apps.

From what I can tell, it was stirred by the fact that an opinion writer for the NY Post discovered American Girl dolls and was offended, not that the company started a media blitz to advertise this particular doll.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/national/homeless_doll_costs_hairstyling_4Ic0hC7Lacpfo8HQbczsQM

As for her comment: "Barbie, the feminists long complained, gave girls body issues. But she never attempted to politically indoctrinate me." Ms. Peyser is not terribly familiar with the history of Barbie. I don't recall her being listed as homeless, but she's been all sorts of other things.

The tear is removable. I was about 3 or 4 years old at the time. I have been told I kept crying because I couldn't make the doll be happy.

Little Miss No Name ~ complete with removable tear!:lol: Reminds me of this rag doll I had around that same age. One side of her displayed a happy face, the other side a sad face. I blame my mood swings on that #(&*$ doll...:tongue_smilie:

Little Miss No Name ~ complete with removable tear!:lol: Reminds me of this rag doll I had around that same age. One side of her displayed a happy face, the other side a sad face. I blame my mood swings on that #(&*$ doll...:tongue_smilie:

Maybe that's why Waldorf and Amish dolls often don't have faces :D

Rosie

:001_huh:

I was not being snarky. You mentioned all the other dolls and the "absence of" a Germanic doll. Kirsten is close enough to that considering the history of the Swiss immigrants. (or is she Scandinavian?) Either way, I'm sure there is plenty of time for them to add in dolls from various more backgrounds.

Edited by mommaduck

You can choose not to buy any of the books. The dolls themselves don't come with banners that say "Miss Homeless Doll," "Miss Escaped Slave," "Miss Tragic Orphan."

Then don't buy the doll...let your money talk. We do teach our kids about the problem of homelessness. We do teach our children about social injustices. Kids are very sensitive to these issues and often come up with neat (although sometimes not plausible) solutions. Kids can do something about problems now. There were lots of things we did as kids to help out. We crocheted scarves, collected recyclables, donated to charity out of our allowance, etc. Do you think kids are unable to help the world be a better place?

I know of kids who actually play games of being poor or homeless...not because they are unfeeling...but because they do feel. Whether we tell them about these types of things or not they do come across them.

We're the type of people who don't protect our kids from learning about the ills of the world. We want our kids to have a heart to fight for better. We also share the joy of the world too.

As I said before...if you don't like the doll...don't buy it. Money talks, better than anything else. If no one buys the doll, she'll go out of production.

I can't quite get past the irony of all the expensive outfits, furniture, etc. that can be bought for a doll that is "homeless". I don't see how a little girl can be brought to an awareness about poverty and homelessness when she is playing with a doll that is so expensive and has such an expensive niche in the market. I'm also not a huge fan of burdening young girls with knowledge of fathers that run out on their family, if this topic doesn't already exist in their lives.