Menu

How does your DH aide you in HSing?

Capt_Uhura

I was just reading a hsing book which really advocated for getting DH involved. She stated that you can't go from doing what you do, then add HSing on top of that. I'm curious as to what your DH does to aide you in HSing? My DH works very long hours and I find it overwhelming at times to HS and do all the housework, run behind a toddler, do field trips etc.

thanks,

Capt_Uhura

DH aides me in homeschooling by helping with any discipline issues with the kids, being my cheerleader to encourage me when I feel overwhelmed, funding :001_smile:, and putting up with a messy house since I can't seem to find the time to clean...

He has also sometimes helped out with math when I have trouble explaining something. That is rare though. I do most of the actual schooling of the children.

He buys things. Whatever I need, he approves. That's the big thing.

He never makes me feel guilty for housework that may not get done. He asks me about our school schedule instead of assuming that I can run errands for him.

He doesn't question what I am doing and has faith in my abilities.

He has never once suggested that the boys go to school.

And when I am discouraged, he reminds me that homeschooling is best for our boys and tells me that I am doing the right thing.

At the end of the day, he plays with the boys. If he's home in time, he bathes them and tucks them into bed.

DH aides me in homeschooling by helping with any discipline issues with the kids, being my cheerleader to encourage me when I feel overwhelmed, funding :001_smile:, and putting up with a messy house since I can't seem to find the time to clean...

Same here... He works VERY long hours, I cannot remember the last time he had a whole day off. But-- he does not complain about any messes, clean (or dirty) laundry piled in baskets, or finding something interesting in the back of the fridge. It gets done-- eventually-- and as long as he has clean undies for the next day, he is happy.

He also asks the kids each day- "tell me one thing you learned today". Then he makes them explain it, which is really great, because then I know if they "got it" or not.

He has also sometimes helped out with math when I have trouble explaining something. That is rare though. I do most of the actual schooling of the children.

:iagree:That's what it looks like here too. My dh is really good at talking me down out of trees-lots of trees. "Come on down honey, you can combine 6 history programs if you want to." "Honestly, I don't think you're ruining the kids." "I'm confident you can teach yourself calculus before Dude needs it." "Who looks at the house anyway?" "Come on down and I'll give you a cookie...no?" "How about a big glass of wine...good girl." "Wow. You were pretty high up there that time.";)

Hmmm. That's a tough question. I don't think he really helps with the in-the-trenches homeschooling, but he helps with any unschooling that might be going on in our house.

We don't unschool (by any stretch) but dh is highly educated and also teaches as an adjunct at a community college. He loves teaching. So, whenever there's an opportunity (like--every hour or so) he will engage the kids in educational discussions. He's very knowledgeable about a number of subjects so he's constantly casually teaching the kids--passing on what he knows.

He also reads to them each night and lets me somewhat veg in the evenings. He and the kids tidy the living room each night and he does other simple chores around the house as he sees that they need doing (like he cleans the sink/toilet in the bathroom he uses and he loves to iron and does stuff like that.)

He provides a lot of moral support. He has full confidence in my capabilities and doesn't second guess my decisions.

Bottom line: as far as sitting down with a phonics program or overseeing math worksheets or doing a science experiement--no, he doesn't do that. But he does create an atmosphere of learning in the house and he supports me in taking care of the home.

Edited by Garga

Well, I think I'd disagree with the premise, but dh does do a few things. The big one is that when "school is in session," he gets our CSA pick-up on his way home. I know, it doesn't sound big, but it adds ~30 minutes to his commute, whereas it would take an hour away from our day. A hour a week adds up over the course of the year.

He also has taken over read-alouds. It was the one thing that consistently slid, so I turned it over to him; he was already in charge of bath/showers and the nighttime routine, so it was fairly simple for him to 'insert' read-aloud into the routine.

The final major thing is that we try to take 5-15 minutes most days (year round) to talk education/homeschooling. It might be a specific issue we're having (so he can 'back me up' with whichever kid), a specific success (so he can be sure to mention it to whichever kid), more general discussion about next year/future years, or even more theoretical about education/homeschooling in general. It's not a huge daily time investment but it's good to know that every day (more or less), I'll have a chance to 'bounce things off' him. :)

My hubby works from home, so he's always there if I need him! (Several days a month, he is away from home -- and often out-of-state -- on business, but for the most part, he's there). So he's able to take the kids to doctor's appointments, go grocery shopping, or help with the cooking, etc.

He helps with choosing curriculum, if I can't make up my mind...which happens quite often! LOL! He's very good at weighing the pros and cons of each.

He's great at helping when the kids are stuck on a math or science problem (since those are my two weakest subject areas).

My husband is involved in homeschooling. He does the 2nd side of the math sheet 4x week in the evening. Takes piano lessons in a group class 1x week at my son's side and teaches piano practices 5 or 6x a week in the evening. Reads aloud to the kids a lot. He is on the 2nd round of Narnia series. Plays card games at night to help our younger son know his numbers. Takes our oldest to swimming lessons 1x week in the evening. Takes them to karate lessons on saturday morning. And, he reads the Well Trained Mind and gets a lot of the stuff I miss. He helps me calm down and slow down with how much I want to accomplish. And once in awhile he will take over a full day of lessons if he has a day off. He says he is jealous of what I am able to do with the kids all day. We've only been at it for a year!

My husband is almost completely uninvolved. He works long hours and travels on business a lot. He never asks to see our son's work. All he knows about our homeschooling is that I do it, he pays for it, and he doesn't want to deal with it when he's home.

He funds our homeschool and he pays for a full-time housekeeper -- that's pretty much his involvement. I'm not complaining -- having full time help is a huge help. And I have a wonderful co-op where I get all the adult feedback I need regarding homeschooling.

Since dh is the only one with a degree, he gives the standardized tests once a year. (That is a HUGE ordeal though, so I am in the midst of working on my degree so I can take over that job.)

If I am just totally confused about which curriculum I should use, he's a good sounding board.

He's not anti-homeschooling - that in and of itself is a huge help!

He tolerates a less than clean house and does help with chores.

Other than that he doesn't really do anything. He works very long hours. I do it all. I disagree with whatever it is you read (can't remember if it was a book, blog, article or what).

My dh also works long hours. His main contribution is funding whatever I feel I need. He never complains about what I feed him, what doesn't get done in the house, etc. He also picks up kids or takes kids to activities when I need him.

He also helps with discipline, but he is so busy that I hate to have him deal with something unless I am at the end of my rope.

He does engage the kids in interesting educational conversations about random things that come up. He is a very bright man.

My husband is almost completely uninvolved. He works long hours and travels on business a lot. He never asks to see our son's work. All he knows about our homeschooling is that I do it, he pays for it, and he doesn't want to deal with it when he's home.

this is how my dh feels about it too

My dh works long hours, is self-employed so the work never really leaves. :glare:He's always been supportive, providing the money, never questioning my choices.

In the last two years he has gotten more involved. Although he doesn't teach from a book he is really in ds' life as a guiding influence. He'd do that if we didn't homeschool, but a flexible schedule has allowed him to truly be there for ds. Ds has gone to work with dh, they run business errands together, he takes him when he goes to meet with clients. Ds is learning by example how to run a business. They listen to NPR in the car, so there a whole other subject.

As far as classroom activities I make sure dh sees what ds has been doing. We keep an open line of communication about ds' behavior, abilities, and I let dh know if he needs to provide some gentle prodding if necessary.

My dh is much the same as many above--he puts up with a messy house and an occasionally digruntled wife, he funds the whole enterprise and he will listen as I work through curricular and philosophical confusions. He has always been helpful at home--he firmly believes that Fathers do not Babysit their own kids, they play with them while Mommy goes to do whatever it is she needs to do. He also helps with dinner clean up. The rest of the house is generally mine to do, since he could walk by a disaster area and never notice anything out of place. (His idea of a clean room is one in which all the stuff has been pushed to the walls so that the center of the room is clear.:tongue_smilie:)

He is also the Head Toucher-of-Slimy-Things, giving impromptu Nature Study lessons on bullfrogs, crayfish, and various bugs, and dissections of fish he caught (including oh-so-informative hints like "Hey, let's look inside it's stomach to see what it ate last. That way we'll know what kind of lures/bait to use when we go fishing!":svengo:) Gak.

He finishes up with the kids, when we have had a rough day and STILL aren't done when he gets home, or if he gets home early.

He does art with them, even though it doesn't give him time to work on any of his own paintings.

He enourages them and me.

He reads to them at night WAY more than I do (I am usually very ready for them to be in bed at bedtime).

Putting up with the mess and funding almost go without saying. He also listens to me go on and on about school "stuff" that he could care less about (ie, a new reading log or a new filing system, or how we should do spelling).

She stated that you can't go from doing what you do, then add HSing on top of that.

I think this is false. My dh's role bringing home the bacon, supporting me in my decission to homeschool the kids, and showing an interest in what the kids do when they come running or email him to tell him about what we did that day. Other than that it's all me. My dh is in the Navy so if I couldn't do it all then there would be large 6-9 month stretches of time where it would all go to pot! Today he takes over as the XO (executive officer, or for the civilian's who aren't sure what that is, he's 2nd in command) of his the ship he's on. This means he will be available to us even less when in port because he's responsible for a lot more onboard and I'm ok with this. Over the years I've learned to take the help when it's available, but I don't expect it. That way I'm not disappointed or overwhelmed when I have to do it all.

I am thankful that Sweet Preacher Man has an office at home! He is planning to teach Bible (surprising, huh?) and Art. Once a month I go away with my girlfriends for the day, and he has volunteered to teach dd on that day. :lol:

Paying for curriculum :lol:

Also a sounding board when I can't choose between a couple things. Other than that gives me free rein with it, which in itself is a help.

Does NOT care about the house/food, etc. And will jump in and do dishes if the sink is full!

My biggest cheerleader! Brags about what a great job I'm doing with

it! :001_smile:

My dh is my cheerleader and helps with discipline issues with the kids. He is much less tolerant of clutter than I am, so he usually is straightening up in the evenings after I collapse. :D

This year, he is teaching logic to our 6th and 7th grader. He is also asking them about their reading and acting as the school "bad cop" to my "good cop." I got tired of being the bad cop all the time when it came to the kids getting their work done in a timely manner without complaining, so he has offered to play bad cop for awhile. :D He is also really gifted in getting the kids to get their chores done in a timely fashion.

Dh works full-time Wed-Sun. I work 30hrs/wk from home. So, dh is in charge on Tuesday while I work 12hrs and does 1/2 science with ds and makes dinner.

If I were a full-time mom (in my dreams!) and dh were working long hours Mon-Fri, I wouldn't expect any homeschool help of dh. I would expect a night off where he would watch the kids so I could leave.

As it is, it helps to be more of a cooperative effort.

My husband works long hours and (here lately) is out of town most days of the week so our boys, our house, and our homeschool are mostly my responsibility.

He pays for our homeschool, supports the decisions I make regarding our homeschool, and listens to me prattle on and on about our homeschool. :D

I do everything else including the housework and meals, although if I plan for him to fix dinner when he is home, he'll do it.

That's about it though. I try to have all housework, laundry, and errands completed before he gets home so we can all spend time together as a family.

He will help me out if I get behind on housework or laundry and will do anything I ask him to. He doesn't expect a super clean house...and with four boys in the house, thank God for that! :lol:

He is also super supportive of me getting out of the house with my girlfriends at least once a month and often will suggest I take time for some myself when he is home.

We are another long hours family, with frequent overnight trips. When he IS home, he is always engaging with the kids when they are awake, doing educational games, phonics with my youngest, and most importantly he is the nighttime, familytime read aloud person. We all gather round and Daddy reads a chapter from our latest book. When he isn't home, I fill in, but this job is usually reserved for him.

Once the kids are in bed, he will help with some of the chores that didn't get accomplished during the day--just like how it was when we BOTH worked full time. We were both working all day and would come home and we both shared the housework because it needed to get done. He will help fold the laundry while we watch some TV or chat, help with the dishes, and more of those everyday type tasks. I still do the moping, sweeping, dusting, type things, but he is such a huge help with the everyday things that get backed up.

My dh works super-hard at 2 jobs so that I can stay home and home school our children. And for that I am very, very, very thankful.

If you are overwhelmed, cut the fluff. For instance, we do very few field trips because I find them overwhelming in our current stage (read: with a 2 year old.) We are usually at home, which allows me to keep up with the housework, my 2 year old to get regular naps, and the schoolwork to get done. Yes, I feel overwhelmed sometimes. But usually things run smoothly.

My DH is a wonderful man but when it comes to homeschooling he is really not involved. That has its pros and cons.

Pros: I am free to do what I want, choose curriculum freely and I have no alloted budget.

Cons: My son's education is solely in my hands and that is very daunting to me. It is a lot to be resting on one's shoulders.

If I wanted to put him back in private school or even try public school my DH would have no issue. School, although he says it is, is not on the top of his priority list. He does drive him to different events, PE coop, music lessons, etc., but the teaching and all the homeschooling encompasses is up to me.

My husband is fairly uninvolved, like it sounds several of yours are. He even asked me IN MAY what we had been doing for the last school year and if they were on track!!! :glare: I told him May was a little late to start wondering that.

On the plus side, he works all day so I can be home with the kids, he never (well, rarely) complains about the state of the house, he gives me free rein with whatever schooling I want to do, and he does the dishes. :001_smile:

My dh does a morning "electives" class from 8-9 before he leaves for work. Last year he did:

Monday-Music Theory

Tuesday-Boy Scouts Skills

Wednesday-Chess

Thursday-Stewardship

He is still setting up his schedule and finding curriculum for this year's classes (with my help). He really enjoys his classes, and the kids are wild about them :)

We also teach a Chess class together at our Friday Co-op and on off-Fridays we do field trips together, since that is his day off of work (he is a music minister at church and works on Sundays).

I am so grateful for my dh! He is my biggest fan and supporter :)

Edited by babysparkler

I was going to say that my dh aids me by doing nothing. Truth be told, he does quite a bit around here to help me out.

My dh:

cleans the dishes after dinner

helps fold the laundry

once in a while he will run the vaccuum around the downstairs

When he can, he'll drive over to the farm to pick-up our milk.

Pick-up our girls from ballet class

The most important thing my dh does is work very hard so we can afford to homeschool. He is also very supportive with my HS purchases. He basically lets me do the choosing. I would like to have his input on somethings.

He has only asked me to teach our girls one thing. He wants them to memorize the Gettysburg Address.:001_huh::lol:

My husband is by biggest cheerleader as well; he assures me almost daily that he couldn't do it. He works 12 hour day/night shifts and overtime to allow me to stay home with our children. He gets the kids up on days he's worked nights and gets them started so I can sleep in a little.:lol: He listens to their reading when he's home. He helps with whatever is needed regarding housework, and assured me the mess isn't my fault. (love 'm) Most importantly, when I've had a really bad day...he hands me the keys to the Jeep and tells me to put the top (skyslider) back.:001_wub:

This sounds just like my dh. He would like to get more involved and take over a subject or something, but w/ his work schedule it's just not feesible right now. He also helps out w/ cooking dinner sometimes if he gets home early and I'm busy/worn out/stressed out (this one I really appreciate!).

Well, I'm the DH, so i have to say that I'm plenty supportive :tongue_smilie:.

In our family, you'd never see my wife on here. She is busy doing the things she does, and doesn't have the time to research new curriculums, ideas, ed philosophies, programs, etc. So, I do it all, and bring home things that I know we'll both think are good. Then we work on the planning together, and I purchase the books etc. that we need.

I also want to be involved directly as much as I can in our kids lives and education. I convinced my boss to let me work 7-4 so that I can come home earlier and do some things with the kids.

Let me just say I bow my head to those of you with 4 or more kids. I only have 3 and I find 3 hard enough. :001_smile: I'm sure the author didn't mean it absolutely can't be done, but at least in my case, if I did have some emotional/physical support, it would make life less stressful...I'm not the most relaxed person on the planet ;). I think my main issue is noise...I may have to institute an hour of quiet time in the afternoons for me to recharge.

I see I"m in good company here w/ DHs who work 12-15hrs/day. My DH recently complained he needs to work more on weekends from home. This summer I have taken over cutting the grass (2x/week) and the hedge (2x/month or more often b/c of the rain - the hedge is a foot over my head lol and very long so it's no easy task). I'm dealing with health issues right now (chronic fatigue, chronic anemia, and other undiagnosed issues) taking forever to get a diagnosis after test after test...normally I can cut the hedge all in one go w/ no rests. Last weekend when I cut it, it took me over 4 HOURS with a break every hour for about 15min just to recover - I was so exhausted. I still had to clean the van, 2 loads of laundry, clean up after dinner, read to the kids, etc.

My DH is definitely very supportive in that he works hard to support us so I don't have to work...he doesn't question all my many curricula purchases. He definitely doesn't complain about the house which is definitely less clean than it used to be. I'm more concerned w/ the house than he is. Basically, if he can walk inside in the evenings w/out stepping on toys, he's OK! :001_smile: SO when he calls and says he's on his way home, that gives me 40min to get the living room picked up for his arrival. He's also very relaxed about what I make for dinner and if I'm pooped, he's fine w/ Chinese food takeout once/week. 8-)

So I'm definitely not complaining. Just in a perfect world, I'd love to have DH home for dinner w/ us. I miss him! he's so knowledgeable about history, world affairs, physics etc that he'd be a wonderful asset to the conversations. But when he gets home, it's give the kids a kiss before they go to bed and that's it. He used to have time to read to the kids and it was such a HUGE help. It gave me some quiet time. It's the one area that is really lacking in our homeschool especially for my 6yr old.

My other thoughts were I read that generally when women leave the home and go to work full-time, they still do the same housework as if they were home whereas the DH's role doesn't change. Dh recently apologized for not helping out more around the house. When we both worked, we equally did laundry, cleaning, cooking etc. But with my HSing, I feel like I should take care of all of the housework and don't expect him to do anything. Usually on the weekend I try to take an hour or so for myself (and often that's the grocery store) but other than that, I've not been out much w/out the kids in ughhh 9yrs?

Dh definitely trusts me in the education dept and feels like that is my area. As someone else noted, my DH does do unschooling things as they come up.

Last year was my 1st year HSing. My 3rd grader had a LOT of baggage from school and was very difficult. He'd rather die than go back to public school but still wasn't cooperative at home. It was a huge battle. This year I'm adding my 1st grader and frankly, it seems overwhelming. I'll spend the next month (August) writing the IHIPs for the year for both boys.

We're also working very hard to get all 3 kids sleeping through the night :lol: I seldom get more than 3hours straight at night which doesn't help my mood or temper. :001_huh:

Anyhow, I was just curious as to what other DHs do to help out!

"Come on down honey, you can combine 6 history programs if you want to." "Honestly, I don't think you're ruining the kids." "I'm confident you can teach yourself calculus before Dude needs it." "Who looks at the house anyway?" "Come on down and I'll give you a cookie...no?" "How about a big glass of wine...good girl." "Wow. You were pretty high up there that time.";)

:smilielol5:

Dh provides the money, and emotionally supports me 100% to homeschool. He provides a lifestyle that makes it work. He also does his own washing and disciplines the kids. He has always been good with giving me space from the kids when I need it (I usually go away on retreat for a week each year and occasional weekends).

He does NO academic schooling with the kids and I barely talk to him about it, but he does have lots of conversations with them about issues such as drugs, or things he reads in the newspaper. He tries to ready them for the world. He got dd15 a job with a friend doing his accounts.

Well, dh gives me free rein in deciding what to purchase for our children's education. I do not need to go to him for "approval" of my purchases. I have no outside income of my own; dh provides all the funding.

He also is home much of the week, and sometimes lends a hand by keeping our 5 yo busy while I work with my two older children.

And, the biggest thing (next to allowing me to purchase whatever I feel necessary), is he doesn't flip out (usually :)) when the house becomes a total mess.

It was my dh's idea for me to homeschool. I didn't think I would be any good at it, but he talked me into trying. He is very supportive of whatever I want to try and offers suggestions whenever I ask for them. He also (usually) does any chores I ask him to, although I try not to ask for a lot since he works about 60 hours a week, and I only work 20 hours a week. He provides transportation to karate when he can, and occasionally gives me a night off by taking over the night time routine. On the whole, I'd say that's pretty involved.

There are still days when I feel overwhelmed, but I get through it with his help.

:iagree:That's what it looks like here too. My dh is really good at talking me down out of trees-lots of trees. "Come on down honey, you can combine 6 history programs if you want to." "Honestly, I don't think you're ruining the kids." "I'm confident you can teach yourself calculus before Dude needs it." "Who looks at the house anyway?" "Come on down and I'll give you a cookie...no?" "How about a big glass of wine...good girl." "Wow. You were pretty high up there that time.";)

I love this. Sounds exactly like our house. :tongue_smilie:

:lol::lol::lol:

So funny...

:smilielol5:This is so something my husband would say to me!

As to the question, besides helping me by paying all the bills and buying what ever I need so I can actually stay home and educate the kids, he does help by doing study time with them in the evenings, family Bible time, and if we run into a big snag he is always there to help get the child through it. Really, he does a lot to help me.