Menu

"Youse" as the plural form of "you"

I'm not even sure how to spell it, but it's pronounced the same as "use" and means the same as "y'all." You plural. Where do people say this? I thought it was just used in the eastern US, but I recently heard someone from Michigan say it. Is it common in Michigan? Where else is it used? Where did it come from originally - some particular nationality of origin? Thanks for any info!

I'm not even sure how to spell it, but it's pronounced the same as "use" and means the same as "y'all." You plural. Where do people say this? I thought it was just used in the eastern US, but I recently heard someone from Michigan say it. Is it common in Michigan? Where else is it used? Where did it come from originally - some particular nationality of origin? Thanks for any info!

New York City. ;) I'm not sure, but I want to say it started in Brooklyn. :) At least is sounds to me like a Brooklyn word. :)

edit: I googled it and it says that it is used in New York and South Philly to mean plural "you". :)

Edited by Ibbygirl

My Grandma used to say "youse"...she was 100% German; her parents immigrated from Stuttgart in 1900 and went straight to Seattle after landing in New York City. Grandma was born in 1904 in Seattle. She was married to an 100% Irishman, so maybe she picked it up from him. The Seattle neighborhood they lived in was multi-ethnic: mainly Italian, but also Poles, Japanese and other Germans. Who knows where it came from!

Edited by BikeBookBread
just thought of more info...

I have always lived in the South and have never heard "youse" unless I was far, far away from home.:001_smile:

Here in Western North Carolina they say "You-uns" for the plural of you. I had never heard that growing up in Florida. I use proper english like Peggy and say ya'll.

I grew up in Texas, where the second person plural is most commonly "you all" (with contraction to "ya'll"), and the second most common form is "you guys" (the "se" fell off when people moved to Texas, I guess !) "You guys" must have been common in Houston, because it is part of my reflexive, everyday speech.

It's EXTREMELY common by natives here in South Central PA (Gettysburg/York area) - most of whom are of German descent. We've been here 13 years and I still haven't gotten used to it - even though we hear it practically daily.

I grew up in South Central PA and heard it all the time. Now that I live in the western half of the state, I tend to hear "yinz."

I grew up in South Central PA and heard it all the time. Now that I live in the western half of the state, I tend to hear "yinz."

"yinz" is quite similar to the southern "y'uns"

I like most of our colloquialisms.. the only one I can't stand is "yourn" (i.e. is them taters mine or yourn?)

New England?! Seriously? I have lived in New England my entire life (ok minus these last 2 years, but I still live very close) and I have NEVER heard anyone say that.

Where in New England?

I second my shock on that one - I've lived here in New England (well, MA) my whole life and I've never heard "youse" - here we use "you guys" for the plural of you. :001_smile:

I've always thought of "youse" as something from NY or NJ too.

English is most definitely in need of a real 2nd person plural. Grammar loves a vacuum! :tongue_smilie:

Of course we don't write these terms in "formal English." For normal use, however, (meaning everyday speech), the English language is deficient because it lacks a discernible second person plural. One simply must remedy the lack, and these are two common ways of so doing. I would call it "practical grammar" ! :)

Ugh! :scared: Am I the only one that is cringing? Please tell me you are just talking about slang, not true grammar? I mean, if someone is writing a formal letter or paper, they would use "you" or "they" to imply more than one, no?

It's EXTREMELY common by natives here in South Central PA (Gettysburg/York area) - most of whom are of German descent. We've been here 13 years and I still haven't gotten used to it - even though we hear it practically daily.

I'm in York, PA, and I hear it a lot. I also heard it a lot in central PA and in Philadelphia when we lived there. Even though I don't use the expression myself, I have to admit that I sort of like it... gives me the impression of a down to earth, friendly person. :001_smile:

Ugh! :scared: Am I the only one that is cringing? Please tell me you are just talking about slang, not true grammar? I mean, if someone is writing a formal letter or paper, they would use "you" or "they" to imply more than one, no?

Spoken English of a particular dialect. It is true grammar in the descriptive sense, but not the prescriptive sense. That is, "official" English grammar excludes it, but the grammar of that particular spoken dialect includes it. Every spoken dialect has its own grammar, which may or may not correspond to the standard grammar taught in textbooks. If you consider speech that doesn't conform to standard grammar "slang," then that's what it is. IMHO, though, slang is more along the lines of calling something "cool" when its temperature isn't being discussed or "sweet" when one isn't discussing flavor.

Edited by klmama

I have always lived in the South and have never heard "youse" unless I was far, far away from home.:001_smile:

Here in Western North Carolina they say "You-uns" for the plural of you. I had never heard that growing up in Florida. I use proper english like Peggy and say ya'll.

hehehehe As a Florida native I have to agree. Ya'll is definitely the correct plural form of "you" ;) :D hehe

I heard it used in rural Ontario when I was dating a guy whose parents had a farm, and cringed every single time. *shudder* They simply laughed and referred to me as, "____'s City Girlfriend"

I went on a youth exchange visit when I was a teenager to Northern Ontario and by the end of the week I was using "Youse" without a thought. :D

New York City. ;) I'm not sure, but I want to say it started in Brooklyn. :) At least is sounds to me like a Brooklyn word. :)

edit: I googled it and it says that it is used in New York and South Philly to mean plural "you". :)

anywhere in the area of the verrazano bridge! LOL (brooklyn to staten island)

thanks for the smile- my dad would pull that one out ever now & then (maybe 3 times in 30 years). it;s typically used in the form of a threat "if you's don't clean up these toys there's no dessert" and he was a fairly educated man!

:001_smile: please note the spelling it is you pluralized you ' s

:lol:

anywhere in the area of the verrazano bridge! LOL (brooklyn to staten island)

thanks for the smile- my dad would pull that one out ever now & then (maybe 3 times in 30 years). it;s typically used in the form of a threat "if you's don't clean up these toys there's no dessert" and he was a fairly educated man!

:001_smile: please note the spelling it is you pluralized you ' s

:lol:

You want to hear something funny?? I've never even been to NYC!! Honest! I've lived in South Florida all of my life but we have so many New Yorkers down here that I've learned to distinguish the accents of the different boroughs just from talking with them so often over the years. How crazy is that?? hehehehe :tongue_smilie:

You want to hear something funny?? I've never even been to NYC!! Honest! I've lived in South Florida all of my life but we have so many New Yorkers down here that I've learned to distinguish the accents of the different boroughs just from talking with them so often over the years. How crazy is that?? hehehehe :tongue_smilie:

during a trip to florida a few years back we had the chance to visit dolly partons rodeo adventure (or whatever they call it...)

as we entered the hostess greeted us with 'welcome to the south y'all' i HAD to laugh- there are more new yorkers in florida than ny now-a-days!

during a trip to florida a few years back we had the chance to visit dolly partons rodeo adventure (or whatever they call it...)

as we entered the hostess greeted us with 'welcome to the south y'all' i HAD to laugh- there are more new yorkers in florida than ny now-a-days!

LOL It's true!! They're everywhere!! hehehehe Solid people though. You really learn to love 'em after you get past the inital gruffness. My brother's old roomate years ago was from LonG Island. His name was Vincenzo Marchese, one of the funniest people I've ever met and loyal as the day is long. He was a great guy! :) His accent used to crack me up all the time. Who knew "ya lazy b@stard" could be a term of endearment?? ;) :D :tongue_smilie: hehe

LOL It's true!! They're everywhere!! hehehehe Solid people though. You really learn to love 'em after you get past the inital gruffness. My brother's old roomate years ago was from LonG Island. His name was Vincenzo Marchese, one of the funniest people I've ever met and loyal as the day is long. He was a great guy! :) His accent used to crack me up all the time. Who knew "ya lazy b@stard" could be a term of endearment?? ;) :D :tongue_smilie: hehe

no i need to correct that Lawn Guyland

they certainly are gruff up there ( i am 100 miles east of the offending area- farm country)

no i need to correct that Lawn Guyland

they certainly are gruff up there ( i am 100 miles east of the offending area- farm country)

Thanks for the correction. I wasn't sure how to write it the way he said it. You wrote it perfectly! :) He was hilarious. Like I've said I've never been to NY, but how far apart are the various boroughs?? I've heard that NYC isn't as big as it seems and yet there are so many distinct accents in just that pocket of NY state that it always amazes me at the variety of culture and accent in such a relatively small area. I hope you know what I mean. I fear I'm not making any sense. I had a good friend from Schenectady years ago. Italian also. She was a great person too and lots of fun to hang around with. :) She taught me how to make Italian peppers and sausage sandwiches. I still make them all the time to this day. :)

I grew up in western PA and I think I was about 13 years old before I realized that "yins" wasn't a "real word". :D ETA: Even though I don't say it anymore, my exended family still uses it. It makes me smile when I go "back home" for visits and I hear it being used.

My college roomie was from south central PA, and she would always say "you'se".

Thats funny about yins, my mom still says it to this day and she has been out of Pitt for forty years. All the neighbors thought she was speaking a different language when she said, "Yins red up the room".

In our neck of the woods (NW PA) its "you guys". I can't imagine youse as being German. My mother's parents were German(Kaiser and Zurn can't get anymore German) and I never once heard them use the term youse.

When we go to Pittsburgh its "yins". So when we are there we have to switch gears. I'll be interested to hear those from Philly. We are going there Thursday for the next four days. I'm hoping we can go into NYC while we're there too.

I too have to tell my girls that "you guys" and" freakin" are not proper English either.

growing up in Cincinnati. I've always thought it was a German immigrant thing...

I remember walking into the office at school when I was 8 or 9 and the secretary said, "What do youse need?". I looked around, trying to figure out who all the 'youse' were, but I was the only one in the office. :001_smile:

Then I moved south after marriage and tried hard to avoid "ya'll", but it's just so easy to pick-up a southern accent!