Menu

Am I the only Christian parent that lets her child read Harry Potter?

I'm just curious. I haven't come across any of my Christian friends who let their child(ren) read HP books (or have read them to their child(ren). Am I the only mother that allows this?

Please tell me no, please tell me no, please tell me no...;)

Edited by mama2cntrykids

I'm currently reading it to my 9 and 7 year old. DH is against them due to what he has read other people saying about the books online. I finally decided to just read it for myself. I'm not one to find the time to pre-read though. I figure that if we run into anything I find offensive, we'll just discuss it and not continue with the series after the first book.

I'm the same way with movies. There are so many movies on which I've read terrible reviews of from Christians or on websites judging the content for Christians. I'd read the reviews and think, "Gosh, that movie sounds really bad, way too violent, has way too much overt sex, etc." Then, when we've watched them anyway, they were no where near as bad as the website seemed to suggest.

I have friends who censor anything objectionable, including things in G movies that I wouldn't even notice as being possibly objectionable, where I discuss anything objectionable. It just goes to show that we all have different ideas of what is ok and how to handle objectionable material.

Then she read the rest of them, around the time that the 7th one came out.

We bought a copy of the 7th one in advance, and participated in one of those 'wait until midnight' parties here in CA. I borrowed a Hermione costume for DD for that party. After the party, I read a little that night, and then unplugged the phone and read the whole 7th book the next day, without stopping or checking the news or anything. (Thankfully, DD had not finished the 6th book yet, so we were not fighting over the 7th one.) That's how much I liked those books!

I was thrilled to see the Biblical tie ins in the last book or two. That was the last thing that I expected, as I thought that all the books would be thoroughly secular, and it would have been fine with me if they had been. I liked the specific kind of hero that Harry was, and there were other heroics that I was delighted to bring to DD's attention and celebrate, such as when the squibb came out of the castle to duel with Voldemort, going to certain death simply because it was the right thing to do. I liked the complexity of all of the 'good' characters--lots to talk about there with DD.

I liked the way the books were written, and thought that each one pretty much broke new ground. I do not believe that the postulated 'magic' was bad enough or even dominant enough in the story to prevent a Christian from enjoying the books in good conscience.

I'm a pretty conservative Christian, and those are my views.

HI there,

I didn't like the idea at first. I felt the material would put a lot of thoughts into their little heads. They are now 12 and 14 and I know that they could read the material and have good judgement without going around casting spells on other girls who have crushes on the same boy. Ha Ha. I just didn't want them to get too engrossed in the idea of spells and the like. Next thing you know they are checking out books on Wicca. (yes I know there are some on here who would wonder why that would be a bad thing..........but no rudeness intended..........it just doesn't line up with what we believe. ) I think they are mature enough to just have fun with the story. Hope I don't upset anyone. Ruby

Next thing you know they are checking out books on Wicca. I think they are mature enough to just have fun with the story.

This would bother me beyond my ability to say, but I don't really think that these books would make that happen with my particular DD. Maybe the Bartimeous Trilogy, but not these.

My son read through each one and discussed them with dh and I. DD9 is reading the first one now. I have found that there are great discussions to be had about Harry's choices, the presence of evil and darkness in our world, etc. I think it depends on the child, too. My son is the first born - very black and white about right and wrong and always wanting to discuss and a very advanced reader. I do not regret allowing him to read them at all. Oh, and we are conservative Christians that try to prayerfully consider these things! I have good friends that are also Christians that disagree. I don't think it's a black and white issue. HTH

When the kids are a little older I'll read them to them, so we can discuss anything that might bring up questions. I've already read the series for myself twice.

But I don't tell any of my church friends. If the subject ever comes up (and it has about twice) I just fade into the wall for a few minutes and don't make any comments....

My conservative Christian friends let their children read the series. I think (as in I have not necessarily discussed the subject with them, this is just my assumption based on what else their kids read) they see it in the same light as Magic Tree House, Narnia and other fantasy type story lines. In other words, one alternate world is as good as another.

I was thrilled to see the Biblical tie ins in the last book or two. That was the last thing that I expected, as I thought that all the books would be thoroughly secular, and it would have been fine with me if they had been. I liked the specific kind of hero that Harry was, and there were other heroics that I was delighted to bring to DD's attention and celebrate, such as when the squibb came out of the castle to duel with Voldemort, going to certain death simply because it was the right thing to do. I liked the complexity of all of the 'good' characters--lots to talk about there with DD.

I liked the way the books were written, and thought that each one pretty much broke new ground. I do not believe that the postulated 'magic' was bad enough or even dominant enough in the story to prevent a Christian from enjoying the books in good conscience.

I'm a pretty conservative Christian, and those are my views.

:iagree:

I read the first book and was hooked. Dh & I then read it together, and have since read all of the books together when they first came out. A couple of years ago, B read the whole series. (I think he's read it two more times since, as have I. ;)) T is slowly working his way through the books. We are fairly conservative Christians, but don't generally have issues with the fantasy genre. :)

Christians are leery of the fantasy genre and I understand why. There is a lot of fantasy out there that has demons as characters and talks about dark magic and incorporates symbols and such that are considered evil and seriously are used in things we consider satanic.

But you can't throw out the baby with the bathwater. Just because something is fantasy doesn't mean it has all that nonsense in it. I don't see tha the Harry Potter books are any different from the Narnia/Lord of the Rings type stuff. But I won't read books with demons (daemons), however it's spelled.

No you are not. At first I was on the no way frame of mind. Then I just did not see any harm in them. My son read through the series, he is not wearing black, casting spells, studying the occult etc. He read them as a fantasy story, enjoyed reading them, enjoyed the movies and is now onto other books of interest.

We love the books and the movies. When the seventh came out dd and I fought over it. I won, of course. I do ask the girls not to discuss them with certain friends that I know don't approve. They know we read them, but don't want their kids hearing about the stories. We love good fantasy here!

I'm just curious. I haven't come across any of my Christian friends who let their child(ren) read HP books (or have read them to their child(ren). Am I the only mother that allows this?

We are Bible believing Christians, dh is a pastor and we allow Harry Potter after age 10. Dd loves them!

we are pretty conservative, even went no t.v. for 6 years. We let our kids read them, once they are old enough, which was about 10. Dh and I actually were into them before we decided whether or not to let the kids read them. I got to about book 5 or 6 and knew we had to share them.

Not the only one. I am a very conservative Christian and I have enjoyed them. My dd's are reading slowly through them. I did not read them for a long time because I was told they were "bad." Last year it was on my 888 Reading List under my "Banned Books" category. I was surprised to find that I enjoyed them AND that they were no worse than my other favorite fantasy authors.

I just told my mom last week ... THAT did not go over well. She is in the "they are horribly bad" camp. But she has never approved of me liking the fantasy genre either.

You're not alone;)

I had them wait until they were about 9 or so to read them. I preread every book. I think the magic is primarily a literary device and don't have trouble with it. Good versus evil is very clearly defined. There is a lot of self-sacrifice throughout the books. I think they have an outstanding plot and enjoyed them very much myself.

I have a dear friend who says that she "looks for Christ" in every book she reads--that doesn't mean that the books need to be Christian--but she looks for the echo, the shadow of Christ.

Our theology is very conservative. I grew up in a home that was not a Christian home and there was real occult practice I tend to be very sensitive to anything that "goes there." I don't see that in HP.

There are many Christian families who read the "HP" books and enjoy them. Many.

There are many Christian families who don't.

We dipped into the first book shortly after it was published, and did not bother finishing it. Reading any of the others was a moot point.

I strongly dislike children's books which stereotype adults as evil nincompoops, and which stereotype children as vastly intelligent and superior to adults. This is a common trait of contemporary children's books. It sometimes masquerades as humour, but I don't fall for it.

My older boys (the only dc old enough at the time to consider the book) immediately -- and I mean immediately -- snorted with disdain at "HP". They already had read Lord of the Rings, and many other good books, so they had an innate sense of what constitutes "good writing." They dismissed Miss Rowling as a lame-brained copy-cat who did not know how to write. (I think those were among the boys' words.)

So our rejection of the book series was not for the reasons typically encountered.

No. I am a huge gigantic fan of Harry Potter. Not only do I allow them to read HP, I assign it! LOL!

I know more Christians that are fine with HP than who forbid it.

Danielle, who cannot wait for Half-Bloood Prince to come out this summer and go to see it with my neices, daughter and son!

My older boys (the only dc old enough at the time to consider the book) immediately -- and I mean immediately -- snorted with disdain at "HP". They already had read Lord of the Rings, and many other good books, so they had an innate sense of what constitutes "good writing." They dismissed Miss Rowling as a lame-brained copy-cat who did not know how to write. (I think those were among the boys' words.)

Yes, the ds8 who has finished the 1st HP book is almost done with The Hobbit. He wants to get the second HP book from the library, but I asked him to finish The Hobbit first. He agreed to it. After he finishes the second HP book, he will read the first book from Lord of the Rings series and then the next HP book and back and forth like that.

Like some of the PP have said, I see A LOT of good vs. evil clearly defined in the books. I have read all seven to myself and have read the first six to my same ds8 who is reading them for himself now.

Thank you for responding. I don't feel so :glare: now, lol!

I can tell that you didn't read the series. :)

FWIW, the first book was not the best written, as is typically the case with first-time authors.

Who me? Why do you say that? I've proudly read all seven of them:D. Not being snarky, just curious.

Edited by mama2cntrykids
Don't want to appear snarky when I'm not!

You are not alone. I have been homeschooling 10 years, used tons of curriculum and books... reading the whole series with my now 20 year old ds was and is my absolute favorite thing we have ever done.

We love Harry Potter! You are not alone :)

We have had odd conversation with Christians that opposed HP. I guess the weirdest conversation was what if reading Harry Potter makes them kill cats? This person never did tell us where she got this idea but was thoroughly convinced that children that read HP would end up doing such things. The other conversation was other kids telling ds he was going to hell for reading HP. Obviously, the people in both of these situations never bothered to read HP and find out what it was all about...

I am Christian and I LOVE Harry Potter. I do let my kids read them...up until book 5. I personally think the the whole story turns dark once Voldemort returns in the flesh and kills Cedric. The last few chapters of book 5 were hard for *me* to read. Book 6 made me sad and by the time I got to book 7, I wasn't sure what I was reading anymore. The fun days at Hogwarts were over and it got to be "serious." Also, the killing off of main, beloved characters, including freaking Hedwig would just be too much for my kids right now (ages soon to be 6 and 10).

We are a non-denominational Fellowship Bible Church attenders, conservative born again family. Our whole family loves Harry Potter. We own all the books, movies and audio tapes. One of my best friends back home ( WI) also has a family who loves Harry Potter, including her DH, an elder at thier Southern Baptist Convention Church! I know lots of Christians who have no problem with Harry Potter. I also know a lot who do, but most of them have never read the books!

All three of my children have read the entire series. I have read none of it but then I am not a fan of fantasy. My oldest read The Hobbit and THe lord of the Rings before he read HP. They are in fact less interested in witches and witchcraft then I was at their ages. (I didn't want to be a witch but was interested in a sociological sort of way). The HP series really helped my youngest improve in reading. The stories were a great incentive for her to read and she devoured the books.

Like another poster, I just quietky refrain from making comments when I hear the anti-HP crowd chirp up just the same way as I generally don't broadcast our old age creationist views either. We are reformed CHristians and are quite active in any church we belong to at the time.

My girls are a little young to read them yet, IMO, but they've listened to the audio books with me. We've discussed things that come up, and they've been OK with it. I have not let them see the movies, as my younger dd would FREAK OUT. Listening to the books has been fine, though.

I love books about fantasy and magic. I don't have a problem with my kids reading them, either. Most of what they read, I've already read. I agree with being careful, but I also think you can pay attention to what your kids are reading and thinking and guide them, as you do as a parent in all areas of life.

I read all kinds of that stuff as a child, and am still a Christian. You're not the only one who lets their children read about magic. Sorry, I didn't have time to read all the responses, but I wanted to chime in. I mentioned to some friends over the weekend that I loved Harry Potter and they didn't say anything but I could tell they probably thought it wasn't a "good Christian" thing to do. :) I will say that I have not seen my kids doing any weird stuff as a result of HP, though. Well, other than trying to stupefy each other with Blendy Pens.:lol:

Edited by 3lilreds in NC