Menu

Ramen Noodles - convenience and unhealthy?

Let me preface this by saying that we do eat Ramen Noodles occassionally too. They can't be beat on a busy day!

But...I would probably guess that they are very unhealthy. The noodles are basically empty calories and the seasoning pack seems to have alot of salt. You are making it better by adding veggies though :)

My DH loves ramen noodles -- some sort of bachelor days memories, I suppose. I cringe at the thought of what is in those seasoning packets, so I will cook the noodles in my homemade chicken broth, instead. I usually use two packets of noodles, half a bag of frozen veggies, and one egg mixed into the boiling broth at the very end. He adds soy sauce and red pepper flakes to make up for that seasoning packet..... I'm sure the oil used on the noodles still makes it unhealthy, but this way is very fast and satisfies his cravings.

I'm the ramen noodle fan in my family. I love them! I do serve them once a week for lunch. I cook one pack according to package directions but use 4 cups of water rather than just 2, then stir in the seasoning packet and drain off all of the water. Most of the seasoning just drains away so there isn't much actual salt (or msg) left. Or so I tell myself.

I always serve them up with a large spread of fresh fruit and veggies so they kind of cancel each other out. Or so I tell myself.

We love 'em here. But I do limit how often. I grew up eating them ... they were a treat, LOL, an ethnic food from my mother's childhood in Hawaii. I had no idea they were 'cheap convenience' foods till college, when many of my friends lived on them!

I have to avoid them on certain days, as sodium is a migraine trigger for me, but I do like them.

My kids love Ramen, but I don't like the MSG in the seasoning, as ds has sensitivities to additives in food. What I do is just cook the noodles and then add a bit of chicken stock. I buy Minor's Chicken Base at BJ's (like Sams Club). It's all natural, so no MSG. One container costs about $5 and lasts forever. Still easy, still cheap, but healthier.

Ok, I will be the dissenting voice here. I think they are unhealthy and we never eat them.

Healthy doesn't have to mean difficult or time consuming.

Some easy lunches my dd makes are:

Healthy Choice, Pacific Natural Foods or Amy's Organic soup with whole wheat toast

Deli turkey on wheat with apple slices

Whole wheat crackers and (premade such as "Sabro")hummus dip with baby carrots, a few almonds

Amy's Organics macaroni and cheese, fresh fruit such as banana

Tuna sandwich with apple slices

Black bean tacos made with canned black (or vegetarian refried) beans heated in the microwave, wheat tortillas, salsa, cheese, and a dollop of plain yogurt - plus any other topping desired such as onion, tomato, black olives, etc

I hope this gives you ideas. These can be made in 5 minutes or less, and by an older child.

Blame it on the fat, the chemicals, or my personal choice, the salt, but one full bowl of chicken noodle Ramen can kick a headcold on its fanny.

That's just about the only time I use 'em around here, unless dh talks me into making an Asian cole slaw he loves (but that's even less healthy than the straight Ramen, so I rarely consent!).

I'm going to go with unhealthy, too. . .although I used to eat them a lot and really like them (I still might enjoy them, but haven't had them in years). I'm pretty sure the main reason we stopped buying them was the hydrogenated fat.

eh...They're not a garden salad with chickpeas and cheddar cheese shreds, but they aren't poisonous either. ;)

dd12 loves to eat them dry as a snack - she crushes the package and sprinkles on some seasoning, crunch crunch crunch. Heh, this is restricted to the kitchen or outside though, because those crushed noodle bits tend to get away and make a mess. :tongue_smilie:

The History of Ramen Noodles

Ramen noodles originated in China, where all noodles seem to have come from, and are called "Lo-Mein" in Chinese, which means boiled noodles.

"Ra-men" is the Japanese pronunciation of the Chinese Characters for Lo-Mein.

This Chinese-style noodle became such a great favorite in Sapporo, the capital of Japan's northernmost island of Hokkaido, that it is now considered to be their regional dish. Ramen is to Sapporo what baked beans are to Boston. In other countries, the word for Ramen may be different, too. For example, they are called “Maggi Mee†in Singapore.

The process for turning the traditional Ramen noodles into the now familiar instant, packaged noodles was pioneered by Momofuku Ando, the founder of Nissin Foods in Japan. In 1970, Nissin Foods introduced “Top Ramen†to the United States and, as the saying goes, the rest is history.

Many other companies introduced Top Ramen clones and even such industry giants such as Lipton and Campbell's began to experiment with Ramen-like products. Fierce competition notwithstanding, Nissin still controls slightly less than half of the U.S. Ramen market and fifteen percent of the world Ramen market of about ten billion dollars annually. At this writing, the average wholesale price for a package of Ramen in the U.S. is only twelve and a half cents.

Because of their enthusiastic acceptance in the market place, it wasn't long before instant Ramen skipped over national boundaries and became an international phenomena. Factories that make Ramen noodles can now be found not only in Japan and the U.S., but in Europe, Korea, China, Singapore, Thailand, Malaysia and Indonesia.

Each country's Ramen noodles reflect their own particular flavor preferences. Korean Ramen is highly spiced and often contains packets of black bean sauce. China makes Ramen in Szechuan flavors. Thailand makes very thin, delicate noodles with very hotly spiced packets. Japan prefers the flavor of seafood and mild spices. In the U.S. they are usually available with meat flavors, mushroom flavors or mild spices often referred to as “Oriental flavorâ€.

From The Book of Ramen Copyright © 1995 by Ron Konzak -- All Rights Reserved

The kids love them but i only buy a pack or two a year. I think that they are probably less nutritious than just eating potato chips for lunch...hence we call them potato chip soup. In fact since plain lays are just potatoes, salt and oil....chips are probably much healthier :001_smile:

My kids love them, they're easy, and they're inexpensive filler-up food for teenage boys. My kids eat them probably 1-2 times per week. They usually discard the seasoning packet and use broth base (as others have said).

Recently I started buying a different kind of ramen--I wish I could remember the brand. It has *way* less fat than the regular kind, and if they use the broth base and the healthier ramen I feel ok about the kids eating it.

I don't eat it very often, but every 6 months or so, it tastes pretty good to me.

Unhealthy, high in fat and salt, but my son loves them. I make them the way someone else said; add the seasoning to the water then drain it off. I'll mix it with tuna and peas, or other steamed veggies.

We don't eat it often, as we're trying to lose weight here, but in a pinch or for a treat, we'll have them.

My daughter begs for them occasionally and we all like them. I cook up enough for everyone eating (less than a package per person) and crack an egg per person directly into the cooking water. Then I scramble the egg while it is cooking. We like to add frozen peas, as well.

I guess it is a perspective thing. If you are against letting the kids eat 'kid food' then the ramen is not on your to serve list, but if you eat out then a serving or two of ramen during the month is not that bad. It's kind of like hot dogs, mac and cheese from a box, that sort of thing. My kids eat some of those things, but we try to prepare mostly (as in 70% of the time) healthy meals and snacks. If you are ok with serving it then do so.

Have you guys seen this?

Top Ramen

Chicken Flavor 3oz

Nutrition Facts

Serving Size: 1

Amount per Serving

Calories 14 Calories from Fat 60

% Daily Value *

Total Fat 6.3g 10%

Saturated Fat 0g 0%

Cholesterol 0mg 0%

Sodium 1433.6mg 60%

Total Carbohydrate 36.8g 12%

Dietary Fiber 0g 0%

Protein 0 0%

Vitamin A 8

Iron 12.1

Est. Percent of Calories from:

Fat 405.0% Carbs 1051.4%

Protein 0.0%

Have you guys seen this?

Top Ramen

Chicken Flavor 3oz

Nutrition Facts

Serving Size: 1

Amount per Serving

Calories 14 Calories from Fat 60

% Daily Value *

Total Fat 6.3g 10%

Saturated Fat 0g 0%

Cholesterol 0mg 0%

Sodium 1433.6mg 60%

Total Carbohydrate 36.8g 12%

Dietary Fiber 0g 0%

Protein 0 0%

Vitamin A 8

Iron 12.1

Est. Percent of Calories from:

Fat 405.0% Carbs 1051.4%

Protein 0.0%

It's got iron and Vitamin A, what's not to love. :tongue_smilie:

Nobody is talking about eating them everyday. We can't be perfect all the time. Sometimes our kids will be healthier eating a quick convenience meal than having an overloaded momma.

Kelly

I think they're disgusting and unhealthy - no nutritional value to speak of, and incredibly high in sodium. On the disgusting front, my husband and eldest daughter went through a ramen noodle phase which kicked off a battle with weevils that was waged for the next 8 years, until we literally gutted the kitchen to the studs and subfloor.

So no, not a fan.

Ramen noodles is the *one* unhealthy thing that I serve in my home. The only one. Really. So I just don't feel that bad about serving it. It's no worse than ordering take-out once a week (which we don't do), or using a can of "Cream of ___" soup in the crock pot once in a while (which we don't do). Heck, I don't even own a crock pot anymore since I have yet to find a lead-free replacement :lol:

:lol:

I hear ya. Not trying to contribute to "ramen snobbery" (very funny tag btw) Just can't stand the stuff.

Ramen snobbery. I love it! I supposed we can all be snobs about something. I am a blue pen snob. I don't like to use anything but blue ink, medium point :)

Back on the topic of ramen though, maybe the OP could cook up some whole wheat noodles with some chicken broth and add veggies. It would probably take about the same amount of time.

On a day when there is time put a chicken in the crock pot or oven and freeze the meat and broth for busy days. We do this and it works great. The meat can be thrown into lots of stuff. I love to make chicken and biscuits. Yummy! I'm getting hungry.

Kelly

Momofuku Ando, the inventor of instant ramen, died in 2007 at the age of 96. He ate Chikin Ramen, the original flavor, nearly every day until he died.

I love ramen, but I know they're junk so I rarely indulge. What I love more than ramen, though, are the quirky obituaries and tributes to the man and his noodles:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/09/opinion/09tue3.html?ex=1325998800&en=5e351e668da0b093&ei=5090

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=93954544

"I invented instant ramen when I was 48 and Cup Noodles at 61. In life, there is no such thing as too late."

I cannot stand ramen noodles - ick, ick, ick. All 4 of my dc love them. It is one of the biggest treat foods in their minds. It certainly isn't a weekly treat or even every month, but it is a big deal when they are served. And they eat a package a piece. (ick, ick, ick) We use the entire seasoning packet, but don't actually serve the broth. (don't tell the dc that some people eat the broth)

So, we fall into the camp of - its a kid food, not denied at our house, just used as a yummy treat.

If it was just me, I would be a ramen snob, can't stand the taste. Okay, for the really gross, my dc also like to eat the noodles uncooked, like a potato chip kind of thing. (my dc do not like potato chips) ugh!

I love Ramen noodles, but I have not indulged in at least a decade. And here you all are, putting this thought into my head on my grocery shopping day!

I'm going to be strong and avoid the temptation. I already stepped outside of my comfort zone last week, when I brought fruit snacks into the house. My oldest child is 10, and there has never been a fruit snack in our home. That's enough excitement for us, lol.

They are convenient and unhealthy. We still eat them occasionally, though - with the seasoning packet. :tongue_smilie: I like the spicy korean ones, topped with kimchee.

Okay, the dc insist I ask about this. We just love kimchee. We have never seen spicy korean ramen noodles. Do you have a name of the brand, do you buy them at a general grocery store or a specialty mart? Thanks so much.

Let me preface this by saying that we do eat Ramen Noodles occassionally too. They can't be beat on a busy day!

But...I would probably guess that they are very unhealthy. The noodles are basically empty calories and the seasoning pack seems to have alot of salt. You are making it better by adding veggies though :)

:iagree:

I grew up on Ramen noodles and have a fondness for them. However the ingredients are terribly unhealthy and the noodles are empty. I eat them once in a blue moon as a treat but wouldn't consider them a good choice for a regular meal.

This thread is cracking me up! I'm in the "ugh, no way!" camp, but DH likes them. In fact, he makes the seasoning packet and some of the noodles into a salad mix that even I think is yummy (but still won't eat--MSG and I have a very adversarial relationship). If any of you ramen hounds wants the recipe, I'll post it here.

We love them, but limit them. We ate them A LOT when it was just hubby and I (and before we knew all the bad stuff). There is a ton of MSG in them. However, I'm not against the occasional eating of. Once brought to a boil and about done, crack an egg into it and beat...the water cooks the egg. Egg Drop soup LOL!

Maruchan Ramen:

oriental flavor, 3oz

serving size per container: 2

so just double the numbers below --i usually eat a whole package :)

calories: 190

total fat: 7g --11%

sat fat: 3.5 g --18%

trans fat --0g

cholesterol --0%

sodium: 880 mg --37%

carbs- 26g [9%]

dietary fiber- 1g [4%]

sugars- 0%

protein- 5g

vit A --** less than @% of the RDA

vit C- 0%

calcium -**

iron: 8%

so at least this brand has protein in it :D

Guest janainaz

No offense, but i call it horrible. My mother bought them all the time instead of real food because the rest of her money went to happy hour! My kids beg for them and I can't bring myself to buy them unless I'm making broccoli slaw (you use the seasoning packet in the recipe).

Okay, the dc insist I ask about this. We just love kimchee. We have never seen spicy korean ramen noodles. Do you have a name of the brand, do you buy them at a general grocery store or a specialty mart? Thanks so much.

Do you use Costco? I see Kimchee instant bowl noodles at my Costco all the time. I also see them in "Asian Isle" of major supermarkets here.