Menu

September 23rd, the Bible, and Preppers (CC, skepticism welcome)

Katy

Apparently a lot of people think that because the Bethlehem Star will coincide with a planetary alignment on 9/23 it will fulfill Revelation 12's description of a sign in the heavens.  Some people claim this is just a sign of change for Israel.  Others claim it will be the date of the rapture (dubious to me, but I'm doubtful of a pre-trib rapture generally).  Others claim it is the date of the birth of the antichrist.

If you look on YouTube there are so many interesting, crazy prepper videos about this date.  Apparently on 9/23/17 a planet will crash into the earth, the poles will shift, or the Eastern half of the USA will be flooded.  :lol:

I am Christian, so obviously I believe in the Bible and in prophecy.  But I also believe no man will know the date or the hour, and after all our interesting prepper threads in the past I thought this was too good of a topic to not bring up. So...  how are the crazy preppers in your life reacting to this? And to the plethora of recent natural disasters in general?

• Like 2

Well in that case I will call dh and tell him nm work and we will take the rest of the month off from school. I will forget the pregnancy weight and I will have candy for breakfast. Hey the worlds ending lets live it up. How often do people get bent out,of shape over something like this? Ugh so annoying. We wont see the end coming people. Well at least my due date is april not sept. 23rd, whew dodged that one.

• Like 4

I only just heard about this because of FB... there's some funny memes starting up.  But I don't know anyone IRL who talks about it.

Is it a 2nd Coming of Jesus prediction or is it a crazy prepper saying this stuff?  I ask because what I keep seeing is that it will be some kind of disaster.  So I'm wondering if someone else has gotten on the "End of the World is Here" bandwagon. 

Edited by PrincessMommy

Well in that case I will call dh and tell him nm work and we will take the rest of the month off from school. I will forget the pregnancy weight and I will have candy for breakfast. Hey the worlds ending lets live it up. How often do people get bent out,of shape over something like this? Ugh so annoying. We wont see the end coming people. Well at least my due date is april not sept. 23rd, whew dodged that one.

Well, you only have 2 days.   :laugh:

• Like 2

I have heard this and have a friend who is a little too into it.  I am avoiding her until Sept. 24th.

To me, this is just a "the stars are aligning" thing and makes me feel that the people into it are more astrological projectionists than Biblical in any way.  

We don't follow the stars or the planets and since no one can agree on what Revelation actually says......I take ZERO credence in any of it.

• Like 3

I must have been under my rock  :tongue_smilie: because this is the first I've heard of it. You people really need to give me more notice if you're going to be ending the world and stuff.  

But, seriously, not all preppers are conspiracy/end of the world people. I know a few who buy the food and store it for economic emergencies, hurricanes, temporary disasters etc. They occasionally buy us some stuff. My dd and dh have gotten hooked on the freeze dried fruits  :lol: . It's hard to save for the end of the world if they keep eating all the fruit now!

• Like 12

My brother and I went through a bad period in our childhoods of about three years when our father figure got involved with a prepper group known as "The Rough Times Group". They bought tons of prepper stuff, had cases of freeze dried foods and MRE's, guns and ammo, you name it. They paid big bucks to belong to the organization, more for all of the high priced supplies, and all of it money they really didn't have to blow. Due to this shelling out of thousands of dollars a year at a time when they were not particularly stable income wise, we didn't always have enough groceries in the house, and we were uninsured and since they spent all of the money that could have gone to office calls, prescriptions, and treatment, the two of us were neglected, probably enough that they could have gotten into legal trouble.

We came through because our paternal grandparents lived in town and started having us to their house every afternoon and evening, overnights on the weekends, etc. An aunt worked in our school and would bring things to us for lunch. Grandparents bought clothing, paid for my piano lessons and took me to them, etc. at close to the end of that three years and the group was telling women to have unattended home births to keep their babies off the radar and to even hide pregnancies, something inside my mom's head went ding ding ding after a young woman in the group got pregnant, did not get any prenatal care, had major symptoms of pre-eclampsia and her parents refused to get her medical treatment because it would "put the baby on government radar", and she died, mom went ballistic on father figure about having been sucked into a cult, and demanded they out instantly with no looking back, sell all the survivalist stuff except the logical stuff like the generator, and move on. She threatened to leave him if he didn't do it. The only time in my life she exercised a backbone with his nonsense.

I consider most of this prepper stuff to be actually quite cult like.

Edited by FaithManor
  • Like 2

It's bad theology.

I mean, even this idea that some people will be raptured and the rest will have to stick around and will need guns and freeze dried fruit - really?

Anyway, I haven't heard about this one, it doesn't seem to me that worries about this stuff are a common thing here.

I often wonder why some people are so attracted to these things.  I think some of the leaders are con men, but plenty of people find them compelling.

• Like 5

Scratching housecleaning from my "to do" list.   :hurray:

I saw a reference to this sometime in the recent past scrolling Fox News headlines, but never clicked on the article.  IRL no one has mentioned it nor do I see anyone prepping for it.  I'm grateful to my fellow Hive members for letting me know so I can avoid the boring chores.   :coolgleamA:

At least we're home that day.  I wouldn't want to be on a plane, driving, or at school.

• Like 10

I must have been under my rock  :tongue_smilie: because this is the first I've heard of it. You people really need to give me more notice if you're going to be ending the world and stuff.  

But, seriously, not all preppers are conspiracy/end of the world people. I know a few who buy the food and store it for economic emergencies, hurricanes, temporary disasters etc. They occasionally buy us some stuff. My dd and dh have gotten hooked on the freeze dried fruits  :lol: . It's hard to save for the end of the world if they keep eating all the fruit now!

My prepper friend just bought land and is starting to raise rabbits.  He says those will be best for food if there is a disaster or a government take over.....they breed quickly and are fresh meet.

I really like him as a person, but OY his ideas.....

My prepper friend just bought land and is starting to raise rabbits.  He says those will be best for food if there is a disaster or a government take over.....they breed quickly and are fresh meet.

I dunno.  My cats have agreed with him.  They love rabbit.  Personally I find them to taste ok, but have too many tendons and ligaments, etc to want to bother with.

I like chickens.  Or deer.

• Like 2

My dh told me that the media reached out to the guy/prophet for comment, but that he wasn't available for interview until next week. (LOL)

Now that interview could be fun to watch.  First question, "So, what happened - or didn't?"  

Or maybe he'll just say the Antichrist was born I suppose.

Apparently a lot of people think that because the Bethlehem Star will coincide with a planetary alignment on 9/23 it will fulfill Revelation 12's description of a sign in the heavens.  Some people claim this is just a sign of change for Israel.  Others claim it will be the date of the rapture (dubious to me, but I'm doubtful of a pre-trib rapture generally).  Others claim it is the date of the birth of the antichrist.  Or it could be all of the above! Regardless, if it is even ONE of these things, there's not a whole lot we can do about it. Bring on a sign in the Heavens!  :coolgleamA: 

If you look on YouTube there are so many interesting, crazy prepper videos about this date.  Apparently on 9/23/17 a planet will crash into the earth, the poles will shift, or the Eastern half of the USA will be flooded.  :lol: Considering all the hurricanes lately, this is the only part that might even be remotely true!

I am Christian, so obviously I believe in the Bible and in prophecy.  But I also believe no man will know the date or the hour,  I'm with you on this one and after all our interesting prepper threads in the past I thought this was too good of a topic to not bring up. So...  how are the crazy preppers in your life reacting to this? And to the plethora of recent natural disasters in general? My husband and I are both preppers, although moderate. We don't have months of food stored - no room to store it anyway!

• Like 3

My prepper friend just bought land and is starting to raise rabbits. He says those will be best for food if there is a disaster or a government take over.....they breed quickly and are fresh meet.

Well, I agree with him on the rabbit thing. They're a pain to butcher IMO, for the amount of meat you get, but they are a quick reproducing, low maintenance DIY protein source, more dependable than hunting.

But, I sold my land and moved to town where I can't raise rabbits or chickens anymore, but it's a heck of a lot easier for the teens to get to stuff.

Now we're screwed in case of disaster ;) but set up great for extracurriculars, lol

• Like 5

I hadn't heard about 9/23, so thanks for enlightening me! 

We buy as much as we can in bulk and try to stock up for convenience and when things are tight financially, but we don't have nearly enough ready for a power outage. Sure we have our wood stove (winter cooking and heat) and our grill (propane cooking in warmer months), and some flashlights and headlamps. We also have a generator. 

I really want to prepare 72 hour kits for us. Seems more important than anything else on my wish list. (Thinking Roomba, but we really need a lawn mower, so DH might disagree. When I see a snake in the grass that needs to be cut, I'm in total agreement with the lawn mower!) 

Off to read up on this 9/23!

ETA - There was a thread recently about prepping for winter. Some said, "I can't imagine NOT going out in winter!" but I thought the OP was very wise to plan ahead, not only for availability of seasonal items, but also regarding carrying large items in wet/snowy/icy conditions. Who wants to risk a fall, which is a big fear of mine now! 

Edited by Angie in VA

Saw this earlier in the week on a few tweets from news organizations.  Replied to all about No man knows the hour or the day.  Asked on facebook my Christian friends how to quickly locate Bible verses and got a few good suggestions.  

I don't know how many apocalypse days I have heard about.  I remember the comet passing where those people committed suicide and had purple sneakers.  I remember the one about Mayan calendar ending (I would surmise that they had felt that they had forecast the calendar far enough and could work on updates and furthering of the calendar at another time.  The entire idea that a calendar ends, therefore, the world ends is so idiotic.)  Then, of course, Jan. 2 2000.   And I think there was something else in the 2006-2008 timespan too.  Lastly, supermarket tabloids scream end times all the time.

To me, there is a huge difference between the end of times (no need to prep - it's over) and some sort of major disaster (prepping might be a good idea). We live in a very safe area so I am not overly concerned with the second part (basically just some sort of pandemic or maybe major nuclear war). And if the first happens there isn't much to be done (other than going on a trip and spending all our money if we could know for sure).

Either way, I am not worried about this Saturday or any time really. We all die eventually anyway.

• Like 3

It's bad theology.

I mean, even this idea that some people will be raptured and the rest will have to stick around and will need guns and freeze dried fruit - really?

Anyway, I haven't heard about this one, it doesn't seem to me that worries about this stuff are a common thing here.

I often wonder why some people are so attracted to these things.  I think some of the leaders are con men, but plenty of people find them compelling.

I haven't finished reading the thread yet, but I will tell you that the preppers in my life live for this because, I am certain, they feel like if this stuff happens, they will go from the bottom of the pile (economically, socially, etc) to the top of the pile.  And all of those "rich and successful" people will have to acknowledge their wisdom and skills. Not that they want to be weird power trip people, but it would give them a greater feeling of worth.  Does that make sense?  It of course doesn't speak for all preppers in any way, I am just talking about the end times/crazy preppers in my life.

• Like 10

Okay so the guy who created the theory was on Glenn Beck's radio show this morning.  I tuned in to part of it (missed part due to crying child).  He's not a numerologist, but he does believe this marks the beginning of the tribulation (hence people who believe in pre-trib rapture stating that)?  He says most of the events of revelation happen because a planet either crashes into earth or interferes with the course of tides or something?  It didn't seem quite coherent - he basically said there's a planet on an elliptical course around the sun that we only see every few thousand years.  He credited it for causing Noah's flood. He also said the same planet will crash into earth and poison the oceans, etc. He also said there's a conspiracy in the government to keep the news from people to prevent chaos & keep the economy going?

I don't know, the man seemed nice but to be lacking some sort of basic reasoning.

• Like 2

I was going to start a thread about this very thing, but didn't want to unintentionally invite some of the internet's crazies!

There's a gentleman who goes to our church that I have often thought of as someone with a sound head, until sometime last year.

Last fall at some point there was supposed to be some kind of "financial collapse".  I want to say that was in September sometime, but it might have been October.  He really went on about how it was going to happen and used some strange scriptures to back it up.  The day came and went and... nothing, of course.  Part of me really wanted to ask what practical things they had done to prepare for the collapse of the banking industry, but of course I didn't. 

So within the last month he's been posting on and off about September 23rd and the pregnant woman in the stars and, quite honestly, insisting that he is going to be correct on this one.  It's kind of disturbing.   I figure I'll wait and see what his response is when September 23rd comes and goes with nothing happening, and then I have to hide him.  

• Like 2

Okay so the guy who created the theory was on Glenn Beck's radio show this morning.  I tuned in to part of it (missed part due to crying child).  He's not a numerologist, but he does believe this marks the beginning of the tribulation (hence people who believe in pre-trib rapture stating that)?  He says most of the events of revelation happen because a planet either crashes into earth or interferes with the course of tides or something?  It didn't seem quite coherent - he basically said there's a planet on an elliptical course around the sun that we only see every few thousand years.  He credited it for causing Noah's flood. He also said the same planet will crash into earth and poison the oceans, etc. He also said there's a conspiracy in the government to keep the news from people to prevent chaos & keep the economy going?

I don't know, the man seemed nice but to be lacking some sort of basic reasoning.

Yes!  I believe it's the planet we all know and refer to as Planet X.  (Not "ten" but X.  Curse you apple and your new iphone that we now need to explain what an X is.)

• Like 1

Yes, it is Planet X.  We have gotten the concerned phone calls that this one is for real and we really need to make right with God.  At least a concerned local church member hasn't been sent to our house this time.  No preppers here.  I'm pretty sure they are planning on rapture.

Now that interview could be fun to watch.  First question, "So, what happened - or didn't?"  

Or maybe he'll just say the Antichrist was born I suppose.

I feel for the moms that give birth on the 23rd. I would be worried about the die-hard, indoctrinated, fools that might try to hunt down the "anti-christ" born according to their misled prophecy.  :sad:  I really really hope that doesn't become a thing. 

• Like 3

Oh good grief, ds met a rapture/doomsdayer on campus this morning. He tested me to let him know he had a tract in his hand that suggested Christian part owners ask unbelievers to take care of their fur babies after the rapture.

He took the tract and said he gently pointed the way to the health center suggesting that this person should avail herself of the free mental health services offered to students.

But here is a question, apart from the fact that apparently I should be looking for a home for my cocker spaniel and the cat, why is the girl continuing to attend classes if she is going to be raptured? Why did she even enroll this semester and end up paying tuition, books, etc.? I blame some of this on the lack of teaching formal logic before people get out of high school.

• Like 6

What is it about the month of September? All these prophecies - or many that I recall seem to be scheduled for September. :lol:

I don't know anybody who is taking this seriously.

I for one view September as the month of apple pies!!! :)

Prepping to me may mean something different than what the term has evolved to mean. I like to be prepared for potential winter storms, flooding, evacuations (we had all of those last winter) and I like to have food on hand because dh will freak out if there is a shortage of food.  :)

Edited by Liz CA
  • Like 3

Oh good grief, ds met a rapture/doomsdayer on campus this morning. He tested me to let him know he had a tract in his hand that suggested Christian part owners ask unbelievers to take care of their fur babies after the rapture.

I am taking my fur baby with me.

• Like 4

What is it about the month of September? All these prophecies - or many that I recall seem to be scheduled for September. :lol:

. :)

I am not an expert, but I believe it is September due to the timing of the Jewish feasts. Each one represents not only an event in the past, but a event that has happened since. While I am not a prepped or one who believes the end of the world will be here Saturday- I know today starts the Feast of the Trumpets- and that is me next Jewish feast to be fulfilled in modern times. So, that may be why September keeps being chosen. I'm on my way out so I hope that makes sense.

Edited to add a link for clarification: http://christinprophecy.org/articles/the-feasts-of-israel/

Edited by Free Indeed
  • Like 4

Must be the same folks that promote the flat earth conspiracy...

• Like 3

I haven't finished reading the thread yet, but I will tell you that the preppers in my life live for this because, I am certain, they feel like if this stuff happens, they will go from the bottom of the pile (economically, socially, etc) to the top of the pile.  And all of those "rich and successful" people will have to acknowledge their wisdom and skills. Not that they want to be weird power trip people, but it would give them a greater feeling of worth.  Does that make sense?  It of course doesn't speak for all preppers in any way, I am just talking about the end times/crazy preppers in my life.

Yes, that's very insightful, I think you are on to something.

I think that you see kind of the same thing with some people who you might broadly call back-to-the landers who are convinced that environmental disaster or a worldwide corporate take-over is coming.  

• Like 2