Menu

The little things that make your day. Post here.

FaithManor

Today, I'm smiling because ds's graduation announcements are ready to be picked up at the Walmart photo center.

I love May. I really do. It gets kind of nice out here in Mid-Michigan, FINALLY, and then all of the graduation fun. I have friends whose kids are graduating from home schooling, public schooling, and private schooling, and we are all in the midst of this excitement, watching the year wind down for our students, and seeing their happiness at this long chapter of their young lives drawing to a close and planning for the new and exciting things in their futures.

So much glee!

What is brightening your day?

• Like 6

Hugging the kids whenever I want to.

Petting the cats.  We pet those cats all day long.  They are the most spoiled animals on the planet.  It makes me sooooo happy to pet their fluffy little bellies.  And to touch their little noses. 

Right now, I'm tickled pink that we're done grammar for the year.  (YES!)

• Like 8

I'm with you - May is wonderful!

I opened my window this morning and the first of the lilacs have bloomed.  They are my favorite.

Spent all morning mowing and I love to mow.

The sun is shining and the breeze is cool and the kids are going to nap soundly today because they've been outside ALL morning long.

The breeze is blowing just hard enough to make the birch leaves outside my window rustle.  It is THE most pleasant sound.

The DD cleaned the house while I mowed this morning WITHOUT being asked.  

My yard is dandelion yellow - - and dandelions are my second favorite flower to lilacs.

Headed to the nursery this afternoon for strawberry plants and a mother's day gift mil.

3 things I  adore:

Spending time with kiddos outside

Sunshine and gorgeous weather

Clean house

Awesome day.  Only wish DH would win the lottery and be home all day. :D

OH! And I can put all the laundry on the line today! :)

• Like 4

We've had some rain here so the days are fresh and cool.

Roses are blooming. My pink ones smell DIVINE.

Lambs. Oh my word. They are SO cute. I can't get enough of watching them.

Lots of fresh milk in the fridge. I start each morning with Millie my cow. I love that.

Almost done with school.

• Like 5

We put a deposit down on a little puppy who was just born on Friday!  The family has been posting pictures and videos and I'm super excited to get to watch her grow up!!  All the dogs I've ever had have come from the dog pound and we get them once they're grown.  I've never been able to experience puppy hood.  I keep stalking this poor man's FB page and blog every hour or so hoping to see more pictures.  

It's going to be a long eight weeks!!

Edited by BigMamaBird
  • Like 8

We've had some rain here so the days are fresh and cool.

Roses are blooming. My pink ones smell DIVINE.

Lambs. Oh my word. They are SO cute. I can't get enough of watching them.

Lots of fresh milk in the fridge. I start each morning with Millie my cow. I love that.

Almost done with school.

Lambs are the best! We used to bottle feed for a local farmer when she would have an occasional bum lamb. Oh my goodness! Lambs in my house. THE BEST!

• Like 3

Today is one of my favorite days of the year. I made my annual trip to my favorite nursery 40 minutes away and bought my Mother's Day gifts: a few more perennials to plant in my flower beds, and lots of wave petunias and impatiens to fill in between the perennials. Plus two baskets to put in the pots by my front door.

I am now sitting on my front porch, enjoying the flowers and the sunshine. The flowers will go in the ground tonight.

• Like 4

May is my favorite month as well - green grass, leaves and oodles of colorful flowers.

Great news from the lads.

And cats, esp "my" cat (the one who has adopted and takes care of me, reminding me of my chores and talents with door opening, etc).

• Like 4

The semester for me is over next week. 

I made it through Barnes and Noble with only buying what I went in for.

And the best thing happened today. We've been dealing with this ridiculous woman who wants to open a vocational school. She's been a PITA for months, trying to get her application materials together. She finally submitted it, then expected it would be processed within 2 months. I verbally told her, my boss verbally told her, I emailed her, my boss emailed her, we pointed her to the website where it very clearly states that it's a 6-9 month review period. No exceptions. None. At all. Well, she's special. She has a doctorate degree (Honey, our whole division is staffed with Ph.D's), she feels she deserves an expedited review. She was told no. She called her state representative and LIED her arse off, saying she worked for our agency and she KNOWS what can be done. She said she talked to someone in November and he told her she could be special. Except the name she gave is not the name of anyone in our agency. She insists he told her this. He doesn't exist! She's NEVER worked with our agency. She said she didn't understand why she can't be put at the top of the list (above the other 150 apps waiting for review). She finally DEMANDED our executive director contact her and explain to her why she's not special. So, he did. And he shut her down fast. Kindly, courteously, respectfully. But he shut her down. I LOVE it when a bully is put in their place. She has to wait, like everyone else. And the kind of school she wants to start is a dime a dozen. In fact, we have so many of these types of schools, I doubt she'll be very successful. But, by crackee, she's special and we need to treat her thus! NOT! Ha. Ha. and HA! 

• Like 1

We can't have pets because of DS severe allergies so when a little cottontail bunny kept showing up in our yard it just made me so dumbly happy.

He stopped showing up for about a week and I actually prayed that he'd come back. With all life's real problems and struggles that cute little fuzzy bunny munching on grass in our little yard really made my day. He did come back and has been around pretty much daily.

The kids named it Bun-Bun and we just enjoy watching him in our yard. It really is the little things sometimes.

• Like 6

Just the fact that kid rec soccer exists.  :)

Long drives in the country (that was Sunday though).

My kid suggesting that we move on and stay happy rather than revisit an unpleasant topic.

Hugs - always hugs!

Cute animal videos on YouTube are making bedrest not as miserable. I'm also in the middle of watching The Princess Bride all the way through for the first time ever. I also got a nice compliment today that made my heart lighter.

• Like 1

We are having a peachy May...literally. Our tree did very well, we picked about 400 peaches this weekend. Our 18month old learned to throw his diaper in the garbage...any help is always nice :) dh passed a test he's been studying for. April's weather was beautiful! Hoping May gets the hint :P

• Like 2

Beautiful weather, sunny with a slight breeze, I have the windows open and I love the fresh air.

Meghan finishing up her paper with IEW.

The awesome very low sodium BH turkey and smoked gouda whole wheat sandwich with fresh fruit salad for lunch.

Having two dogs and two cats that get along so well is a blessing.

Having a full fridge, freezer and pantry. (Just went shopping yesterday to four stores).

Cuddle time with the Megster! 

Crystal clear, blue skies with 80 degree weather. Hot tub time with my little man. Blowing off school today because the flowers are blooming and Mother Nature is screaming at us to spend the day outside. :)

Everyone woke up early and we got a good bit done. Went to an art show and *might* actually get dd to go to bed at a decent hour (her nap was disrupted earlier). One artist had made a Harry Potter sorting hat cookie jar. The bottom of the hat was a plate. So cool.

Edited by heartlikealion

I had a really bad day yesterday, but I found a funny video my now 13 year old made a few years ago, and it cheered me up.  He called the video the kitty cat song or something like that, and it involved some tiny stuffed cats.  Well, he's a big kid now, so it was  really fun for me to find this little touch of childhood, probably done around age 10 or 11, when he was caught between being a little kid and a big kid.  I don't think he would make kitty cat videos anymore.  More like videos with things blowing up.  :-)  Anyhow, it made me smile, and I'm still smiling about it today.

And just now I had another thing brighten my day.  My mother just sent me a video clip of hr backyard bluebirds eating some worms she leaves out for them.   Now, that might not sound like a big deal, but my mom is 78, and we gave her my old iPhone for Christmas, and she has struggled to learn how to use it.  I'm so proud of her because she has not given up. 

• Like 3

My son finished his first year of college today. This week he's been researching schools to transfer to and found one that is now bumped to the top of the list. To see him excited about his future warms my heart. 

For me, I got a 96 on one of my long history papers. I just got it back today. The professor is a tough grader and rarely gives As on research papers. 

• Like 3

My 2 year old woke up at 7:15 this morning. 

His normal wake-up time for almost all his life has been 5 - 5:30 am. It most certainly made my day. And I hope and pray this is his new normal. 

• Like 1

Hearing the cute little things that come out of my 3 year old's mouth. Tonight, when she got on my husband's lap for a bedtime story, she brushed against his face (5 o'clock shadow) and asked "Dad, did you forget to shear your face this morning?"

Like he is a sheep. ☺ï¸

• Like 1

My son came home from college yesterday and said that he has decided to add a minor- nuclear chemistry to his major- metallurgical engineering and part of the reason is that he would then be an alchemist.  He was so excited when he was telling me and I kept thinking that it is way over my head.

My birthday is Tuesday but youngest DD was literally bouncing with excitement after she finished wrapping the present she got me in her room. She begged me to "let" her show me the present early b/c she just couldn't wait any longer. She beamed when I said Sure and was over-the-moon at how happy I was with it. It's moments like that that make the sacrifices worthwhile.  :D

Also, older dd and little dd giggled maniacally when they play together always makes me thrilled with life. Yesterday little Dd made a picture for her grammar and ripped it out of her workbook as a present for older dd. Oldest was very sweetly thankful and taped it up in her room. :)

When the girls want to have a sleepover in each other's rooms. When they talk excitedly about sharing a room with a bunkbed when we move back to the States. 

Hubby does the dishes and cleans the whole kitchen without my saying a word.  :001_tt1:

What brightens my day, is that dd17 finally has really good friends.  Honest to goodness, real friends..Plural!

in 9 years...She moved from private school, to home school hybrid, to just home school, to secular private, to religious private, to public school but hanging out with her boyfriends friends, to now finally having a great group of girls who are Her friends.

Part of the reason she left religious private schools, was to find friends.  She wanted to meet people like her, who were good people, just for the sake of being good people.  She wanted friends who cared about school and were willing to put effort in to achieving goals.  She wanted friends who were active and liked to go hiking and to spend time at the lake or walking in the city.

She finally found them. She has a group of 6 girls who all hang out together, but also no one gets hurt if there are just one or two decide to hang out. They have similar interests (all are cheerleaders and athletes), all are honor students (or close to it), most have jobs (even the ones with wealthy parents), and are good teens.  

She is so happy! and that makes me happy!

ETA: removed something that could be offending, but wasn't meant to be.

Edited by Tap
  • Like 1

Five years ago I made the best house-related decision I have EVER made. We bought an indoor/outdoor rug for the most trafficked room in our house. It was half the price of regular rugs, and I thought, it's meant to be in rainstorms...I bet I can hose it down!

Every 6 months to 1 year, I haul it outside (it's large and heavy), throw it over the swingset, and powerwash it. It's freaking amazing. I bring it back in and it looks brand new again. I just discovered I could use a regular men's trimmer to get the pills off it and I'm just so thrilled that it looks so nice. Literally last week my mom was saying, "Looks like it's about time for a new rug..." Nope!! This one's all pretty again!

• Like 1