Menu

I hate April 1st

Night Elf

I love humor of all sorts, but I'll admit to not being too fond of April 1st.  In my younger years I went along with it and did some (mild) joking.  Now that I'm older I skip out as much as I can.  My classroom today will be as close to normal as I can make it, though I know I need to be wary when kids ask/say something.

• Like 1

I have the final line crossing:

Amazon switched up their website for the day.  Oh, seriously?  Sigh.

When I went on this morning, it showed a retro page, but when you click anywhere on the page, it takes me to the home page I'm used to seeing. Isn't that the normal page?

• Like 3

I'm not fond of it this year. My baby sister has been fighting infertility for years and unfortunately it seems like everyone's idea of funny is pregnancy announcements. :(

I worked with a woman who convinced her boyfriend she was pregnant all day on April Fools. She was in her 30's so old enough to know better. Unbelievable.

I have no real feeling about April's Fools. I haven't done a prank since I was a child and no one has done one on me so I usually go the entire day not realizing it's April 1st. When I opened amazon and saw the change I said oh it must be April fools day. Dh looked at me and said "I want a divorce" in the most monotone voice. I quickly replied "I'm pregnant." It was our reminder to ourselves why we dont plày jokes like that on each other. Sadly we know people who used both as jokes on this day and really ended up messing their marriage or at least being the last straw. I simply don't understand why some people think things like that would ever be a good idea to joke about.

• Like 4

I am also a non April Fool's Day participate.  Needless to say, when I hollered gigantic spider from in the kitchen, all my kids thought I was kidding except my spider phobic one.  He didn't care to see if I was joking, but the others got to see the half dollar sized black spider crawling across the floor before it met the bottom side of the bleach container.

So far I have found upside down dishes in the cupboard and the silverware drawer rearranged.  The kids all want to wear their taekwondo uniforms backwards today. :001_rolleyes:

For those that would rather have something better to celebrate today, it's my kitty's birthday.  He is 10 now.

I have the final line crossing:

Amazon switched up their website for the day.  Oh, seriously?  Sigh.

OMG! I remember when it looked like that!

For those that would rather have something better to celebrate today, it's my kitty's birthday.  He is 10 now.

Happy Birthday for cat, Happy birthday for cat....

I haven't even told the boys what April 1st is used for. Probably ought to.

I'm not a fan of practical jokes in general and completely understand if you're talking about mean pranks. However, I do agree with the suggestion of the PP's DH to lighten up. Some of the online pranks that Amazon, Google, and other entities come up with are clever and fun, so I don't get being really upset or feeling bullied by those.  I always check ThinkGeek's home page every year to see what creative fake products they've come up with. What's the harm in a little silliness one day a year, especially when everyone is in on the joke and knows what happens on April 1?

• Like 7

I'm not a fan of practical jokes in general and completely understand if you're talking about mean pranks. However, I do agree with the suggestion of the PP's DH to lighten up. Some of the online pranks that Amazon, Google, and other entities come up with are clever and fun, so I don't get being really upset or feeling bullied by those.  I always check ThinkGeek's home page every year to see what creative fake products they've come up with. What's the harm in a little silliness one day a year, especially when everyone is in on the joke and knows what happens on April 1?

Steam-powered gaming cabinet! Do It Yourselfie!!  :lol:

This is an elbarote prank by night elf to convince us she hates April 1, right?

:D

I'm right there with you. I hate surprises, hate even getting presents. The web today sucks. There are all those pages too where gross things leap out at you on the screen or weird noise making apps run etc. ugh. I'm hanging out on the dog training boards because those people are generally too nerdy to do pranks lol

• Like 1

Speaking of Amazon

This must be a prank  Dash Button  because the mayhem small children would cause would be disastrous.  It is a prank right?  I'm so confused, I hate April 1st.

I think it is real, but why?  I mean is it so hard to add things manually to your Amazon account that we need another wireless device (or many devices) in our house.  

• Like 1

I'm not fond of it this year. My baby sister has been fighting infertility for years and unfortunately it seems like everyone's idea of funny is pregnancy announcements. :(

I've always thought the fake pregnancy announcements on fb were ridiculous.  It's attention seeking and really annoying.

I don't think I've ever done an April Fool's joke, I totally fail to see the appeal. Hubby is the same. I do recall being slightly annoyed in having some played on me as a kid, however.

I'm not a fan of practical jokes in general and completely understand if you're talking about mean pranks. However, I do agree with the suggestion of the PP's DH to lighten up. Some of the online pranks that Amazon, Google, and other entities come up with are clever and fun, so I don't get being really upset or feeling bullied by those. I always check ThinkGeek's home page every year to see what creative fake products they've come up with. What's the harm in a little silliness one day a year, especially when everyone is in on the joke and knows what happens on April 1?

In my defense-the web jokes don't bother me. But I don't like things being done to me. Like one time DH told me he joined the Army. Not funny. That's the kind of stuff I am talking about. He also likes to jump out at me in the dark or stuff like that.

I thought the Tom Brady gag was funny. But if I was Tom Brady's wife & wasn't in on the joke then I wouldn't think it was funny AT ALL.

This is an elbarote prank by night elf to convince us she hates April 1, right?

:D

Me? I'd have to be clever to come up with this. No really, I'm not a clever chicklet at all! Honestly!

Oh, my first husband loved to pull pranks all the time. It was the cause of many fights. And now he does it to his second wife. She gets ticked off too.

I am so not into it this year---I'm staying off the internet and enjoying a new shape pattern in Saxon Math 1 and counting down the days to Easter.

• Like 1

A lot of it is pretty harmless these days, it seems. Like, Google turning the maps into Pac-Man boards is just cute. And people making cupcakes that look like lo mein is just sweet, I guess... though it does sort of fall into the category of Leprechaun traps.*

But the whole I'm pregnant/engaged/moving to Timbuku/quitting my job thing on Facebook and other social media is just plain obnoxious. And news outlets with their fake stories feels like it's gone too far in recent years. And actual pranks... ack. Lowest, cruelest form of "humor."

* Leprechaun traps - n. 1. A stupid thing that modern parents are expected to do because it's a "tradition." Except it's not a tradition, it's some crazy thing someone made up a decade ago to give us all extra work and then try to shame us when we don't do it. 2. Parenting wars nonsense.

• Like 1

A relative posted on FB this morning that she was going to be married soon.  Her divorce from husband # 4 will be final before the "new" wedding date, and can I say how NOT funny this was.  I don't think she ever recanted it either publically although a phone conversation made in alarm after seeing the post  (because with her it COULD have been true) confirmed that it wasn't.  

I confess.  I do love a good harmless

prank.  I do one silly one each year to my kidlet.  I gave her a fake "chore camp" brochure one year that featured "mopping and sweeping lessons".  She was unamused.

Today, I swiped a prank off the internet and sent her to school with a paper bag of "brownies".  (Brown paper "E's" with an apple for weight.)  I'm sure she's plotting revenge.  Atta girl. 

Okay, I don't agree with you because April Fools can be sweet.

I told my boys today to pack up their curricula and a snack because I had a long doctor's appointment. And then I drove them to see Cinderella. When they got out of the car I yelled, "April Fools!"

They loved it.

But I do agree that I don't like the mixing salt for sugar or making the kitchen sink spray -- or worse -- saran wrap on the toilet. I don't why anyone thinks these things are funny. I'd rather make it sweet and fun.

Alley

• Like 4

So I don't mind this April fools so much anymore. Dh got a package in the mail from amazon today. I didnt open it since I wasn't sure what it was. But I thought it might be for his work so I called to see if he wanted me to bring it to him since I was on my way out the door. He was not aware of any packages coming to him so I opened it. It was a PlayStation 4 box with no note or invoice. I didnt open the box to see if there was actually a playstation4 in it because i didnt want to in case it was sent by accident. We thought surely this is some sort of joke. But how would someone fake amazon shipping like that. Dh thought it was one of his online friends who recently got a ps4 sending him something else in the box as a joke.

I then went to my mail box and found another package in it. Opened it up and there are 2 ps4 games inside with an amazon note saying "a gift from so and so. April fools! Or is it?" The name on the note was not the person we thought but another online friend who knows the first guy too.

We haven't gotten to the bottom on it all but it appears 2 guys we've never met in real life bought my dh a ps4 and some games just because.

• Like 2

I did get sort of pranked by my drama kids this afternoon. They came out for rehearsal with all their roles mixed up. All the guys were girls and all the girls were guys. It ended up being VERY funny.

That's my idea of a good prank. Everyone was laughing, and everyone enjoyed it.

• Like 4

Our police department posted a news thing introducing their new cat squad. Stuff like that is fun and I like it. I don't mind when people who like practical jokes play them on other people who like practical jokes. As long as they know it will go over well. Probably a lot of it comes down to having the social skills to figure out who will appreciate it and what kind of things they will find funny and not boundary crossing. I can't imagine anyone not being hurt by their spouse joking about a divorce or a baby.

I would hate to be a teacher on April 1 though. It would be tempting to have the day off!

• Like 1

I think pranks are fun as long as they don't upset people. Just zany things like putting little eyeballs on everything so the kids are surprised when they open the fridge, or the Pacman option on Google maps. All of those gentle and mildly amusing things are good imho. Unfortunately it always gets wrecked by people who confuse or humiliate others. (And obviously the really tasteless way beyond the pale ones. A FB acquaintance was subjected to a fake account of a drug overdose death - how anyone could possibly think that is OK is beyond me!)

• Like 1

I've never witnessed or read about a practical joke that I thought was actually funny.  They all just upset or humiliate people.  Stop. doing. it.

It's not funny announcing you're pregnant and then saying you're not. I don't think it's offensive or hurtful, but it certainly isn't funny. If you announce you're pregnant I'll say, “Congratulations!† If you think it's funny to then respond with, “April, fools!" You're just wrong. It's not funny.  I just shrug my shoulders and wonder if you've ever hear anything that's actually funny before because it doesn't seem like you have.

If you post something actually funny, good for you. I'll laugh.

I've never witnessed or read about a practical joke that I thought was actually funny. They all just upset or humiliate people. Stop. doing. it.

It's not funny announcing you're pregnant and then saying you're not. I don't think it's offensive or hurtful, but it certainly isn't funny. If you announce you're pregnant I'll say, “Congratulations!†If you think it's funny to then respond with, “April, fools!" You're just wrong. It's not funny. I just shrug my shoulders and wonder if you've ever hear anything that's actually funny before because it doesn't seem like you have.

If you post something actually funny, good for you. I'll laugh.

I totally agree with this. Except I do think some things are funny, like the food that looks like something else (mashed potato cupcakes) But I don't get the whole offended/upset thing. It's not funny, but it's not worth getting offended or upset. I would get mad if my dh jumped out and scared me though. I hate that. I get startled on accident often enough- he better not do it on purpose!

Thank you!!!

I *loathe* this day. I just do NOT understand the appeal of spending the day trying to make people look like asses, nor do I appreciate having to spend all day defending the fact that I'm not a fool.

Luckily, my dh and kids know how I feel about it and don't try any of that nonsense with me. But I just don't get it. I find it so strange that people think it's fun to target someone and humiliate them for their own entertainment. It's akin to bullying, in my opinion. And to have a day set aside for it??? Makes no sense!

While I don't loathe it, I also don't get the appeal.

The only thing I enjoy about April Fool's day is NPR's annual AF gag on "All Things Considered".   They've gotten me a couple of times (the belly button reversal got me one year).   I missed it this year.