Menu

I hate April 1st

Night Elf

Yeah, I'm not a fan of pranks in general, but I do think they can be harmless and not hurtful. I mean, is telling your kids that it's a "grilled cheese" when it's actually cake harmful? I'm pretty sure the kids like cake. Is sticking googly eyes on things harmful? Meh, I say.

When I was teaching school, the kids LOVED to pull pranks on April Fools. I was never that into it, but I did always appreciate that we'd lay down the rules that no one could be hurt or humiliated, it couldn't cause damage, anything they moved or did had to be undone. One year, they hid all the furniture in the school. They moved it back just in time for class. It was sort of funny to come in first thing and find all the tables and chairs gone. Another year a kid lightly glued all my board markers down. I went to grab one to write the agenda up and it wouldn't come and they all cracked up. But then it popped right off a moment later. I wasn't hurt. It was just funny for a moment.