Menu

I never used to drink much coffee. I found out, when I was young and in a job where there was free coffee always flowing, that coffee, ahhem, messed up my digestion, so to speak. So for years I only very rarely drank it. Then, a couple of years ago, I had a really bad case of jet lag and drank a lot of coffee to keep me awake during the day. Ever since then I've been really dependent on a cup of coffee when I first wake up in the morning. I don't often have coffee in the middle of the day, though, maybe once or twice a week I'll have it at lunch or in the afternoon.

So I guess the short answer is, I depend on it to wake up in the morning, but not to keep me going through the day.

I love the smell of coffee in the morning. It smells like ...victory.

Yep-- need that a.m. pot of coffee.

Oh my goodness, YES! It's like...somebody loves me. Somebody sympathizes that I have to get up. And it makes life a little better.

If dh isn't here to make the coffee, though, it's not as good, & I tend not to get around to making it until the afternoon, just because I'm busy w/ dc.

In fact, that's where I'm headed now. :001_smile:

Oh my goodness, YES! It's like...somebody loves me. Somebody sympathizes that I have to get up. And it makes life a little better.

I second this.

I love that it makes me feel loved.

I can drink decaf for weeks and never get a headache or ay caffeine withdrawel, but decaf doesn't make me feel loved.

Caffeine makes me feel like I am happy for a few minutes.

I do, and I'm ashamed of it :tongue_smilie: There have been a few weeks over the past few years where I've been very diligent about eating right and exercising a little bit and drinking lots of water - and I always have a lot of natural energy that way. But I just don't keep it up.....I really need to. It's not fair to everyone when I have low energy levels.

For me, it is not the caffeine that I need. I just like having a mug of something warm, sweet, and creamy!

It lends a truer sense of nonchalance when dd8 is having a meltdown over math. I just sip my coffee and gaze dreamily out of the window until she spends herself. Gripping the coffee mug keeps me from throwing things! ;)

Edited by Michele B

YES YES YES

A cup of coffee is the very first thing I do every morning and I look forward to it every day. It is my little morning ritual. My hubby is so awesome because he sets it up at night on a timer so it is ready right when I stumble out of bed.

If I didn't have my coffee in the morning I would be so discombobulated! I would probably put my pants on backwards and use hairspray for deoderant and try to curl my hair while it is still wet...my whole day would be thrown off! :tongue_smilie:

For me, it is not the caffeine that I need. I just like having a mug of something warm, sweet, and creamy!

It lend a truer sense of nonchalance when dd8 is having a meltdown over math. I just sip my coffee and gaze dreamily out of the window until she spends herself. Gripping the coffee mug keeps me from throwing things! ;)

:lol::lol::lol:

Don't get out of bed without it!

Li'l Ms. ADD is a lost sheep w/o caffeine...

asta

Yes. I had to skip my morning cup a few weeks ago and my day just wasn't the same.

I drink 2 (sometimes 3) cups a day. I have to cut myself off around 2 or I just don't sleep as well. Other than the coffee I only drink water so I don't feel too guilty.

I start looking forward to my morning cup around 7:00 or so at night. I get up early (4:45) to enjoy the peace and quiet, and coffee is part of the reason I can enjoy it.

Nope. Hate coffee. Think it is the second most vile food substance known to man. (Second only to grapefruit.) I do enjoy a hot cup of herbal or green tea on cold mornings though.

Ummm. I think I'm going to have to make you the first person on my ignore list.

Just kidding! :lol:

Ummm. I think I'm going to have to make you the first person on my ignore list.

Just kidding! :lol:

:lol: I knew it wouldn't be a popular opinion. But I had to speak up for all the rest of the coffee-hating freaks around here. :lol:

Sadly for me, caffeine has no effect on me whatsoever. I could drink a double espresso at midnight or at the 4pm doldrums, and still fall fast asleep minutes later. It's mostly at the 4pm time that I really wish it worked...

However, I do drink usually two big mugs a day... it's the warm and creamy that I like. :001_smile: But you could swap it for decaf and I'd never know...

All day, every day. And I felt guilty about that until I realized that I drink exactly 2 sips from each cup before I get pulled away and the coffee gets cold and I pour another cup, take 2 sips, get pulled away... I think I may actually consume less coffee than most people, but I spend all day chasing it.:lol:

Sadly for me, caffeine has no effect on me whatsoever. I could drink a double espresso at midnight or at the 4pm doldrums, and still fall fast asleep minutes later. It's mostly at the 4pm time that I really wish it worked...

However, I do drink usually two big mugs a day... it's the warm and creamy that I like. :001_smile: But you could swap it for decaf and I'd never know...

:iagree: Me, too! I understand some people just metabolize the caffeine quickly and it is of no effect.

Jennie

Nope. Hate coffee. Think it is the second most vile food substance known to man. (Second only to grapefruit.) I do enjoy a hot cup of herbal or green tea on cold mornings though.

:iagree: Can't stand the smell or taste of it.

But sadly... I, too, am a caffeine junkie. Diet Pepsi, 2 every morning.

Two cups in the early morning for sure!! If the baby was up during the night (and what night ISN'T he up), I'll sometimes have another one or two in the early afternoon. Can't live without it!!!!!

Do you rely on it to get you through your day?

All day, every day. And I felt guilty about that until I realized that I drink exactly 2 sips from each cup before I get pulled away and the coffee gets cold and I pour another cup, take 2 sips, get pulled away... I think I may actually consume less coffee than most people, but I spend all day chasing it.:lol:

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

Now see, this is the problem. The thread title clearly said COFFEE, so people who don't like it shouldn't come and pollute this thread! COFFEE lovers only, no coffee haters allowed here! C.C. really means "coffee content." :D

I'm totally playing. I just couldn't resist. :lol:

I love coffee, but had to give up drinking it daily. One cup led to two, which led to three, which messed up my gi system (Crohn's disease...too much caffeine produces unpleasant results...). I quit and had a headache for a solid week. Now I drink a cup of hot tea each morning, but every now and then I buy a cup of coffee...aaahhhhh. :D

Ria

I don't rely on coffee, per se... I do drink about 1 1/2 to 2 pots a day... but that's because I LOVE it. I'm not addicted. Really. I can quit any time I want too. Of course, unless coffee stops tasting so yummy, I can't see any reason to quit in the forseeable future.

:D

I used to! But, like Ria - one cup led to two, which led to three . . . you get the picture. I could easily drink 5 - 6 cups/day. I can still fall asleep at night.

For Lent last year I switched to decaf. This year, I switched to green tea. I still love the occasional cup of coffee and would LOVE to go back to it daily. There's just something about it . . . yum. But, my heart palpatations are GONE! So, for now, I'll continue with 5 - 6 cups of green tea each day.

To wake me up, "yes". To get me through the day, "no." Pretty much, once I complete my stainless travel mug, I'm done. I switch to ice water which is refreshing in itself. Very rarely I will have a Diet Pepsi in the early afternoon, but mostly because I like the taste, not for the boost.

We love any of the bold Starbucks grinds like Sidamo, Verona, Italian, French, etc.

Always. I drink at 2 cups during the week and on the weekend I drink 2-3 cups with my hubby. Even though I know the cysts in by boobs would not bother me nearly as much that is just something I don't want to give up. My hubby makes coffee in the morning. My absolute favorite is cinnamon hazelnut, but occasionally drink french vanilla.

Yes! I start every day making coffee. I brew enough for about 2 6oz cups and a couple of hours later make the same amount 50/50 regular and decaf. I don't think that much is a big deal. Every time I try to cut back I just can't seem to do it (for long). I have every reason to suspect I have ADD, and this is my self medication.

Everyone is happier when I get my coffee. :D

I rely on it to get me through LIFE.

I have emotional ties to its flavor and smell. My grandparents introduced me to its smell and later its taste. I have fond memories of waking up to the smell of fresh-brewed coffee at my grandparents' house. Coffee has a magical quality about it that I just can't give up.

I have a good friend that is a smoker. I imagine that first sip in the morning is as enjoyable as her first puff. It's not just drinking a beverage, it's submitting yourself to a wonderful experience.

Gee, now I've got to go have another cup.

I don't rely on coffee, per se... I do drink about 1 1/2 to 2 pots a day... but that's because I LOVE it. I'm not addicted. Really. I can quit any time I want too. Of course, unless coffee stops tasting so yummy, I can't see any reason to quit in the forseeable future.

:D

Admitting you have a problem is the first step. :D I get ya, I totally LOVE coffee and coffee-flavored anything!

It's decaf for me mostly because the baby does not take to regular well. It's also mostly ritual. As long as I have a cup of something be it coffee, tea, or hot chocolate.

My DH simply cannot function before he has had 2 cups of joe.

One morning my ds started firing questions at DH at mock speed. DH just kind of stood there looking blankly in space. I reminded ds to leave daddy alone until he's had his coffee. My ds asked, "Why does Daddy always need alcohol in the morning to wake up his brain?" Had we been in public that could have been a very embarassing question. :tongue_smilie:I of course explained that it was caffeine daddy needed.

I used to! But, like Ria - one cup led to two, which led to three . . . you get the picture. I could easily drink 5 - 6 cups/day. I can still fall asleep at night.

For Lent last year I switched to decaf. This year, I switched to green tea. I still love the occasional cup of coffee and would LOVE to go back to it daily. There's just something about it . . . yum. But, my heart palpatations are GONE! So, for now, I'll continue with 5 - 6 cups of green tea each day.

Wild. Green tea has more caffeine in it than coffee does. It must be the other components of coffee which messes with your system.

(food for thought for me)

asta