Menu

Do you mind if your children are given junk food by other people?

Does it bother you when other people give your children junk food?  

1. 1. Does it bother you when other people give your children junk food?

• No, because it doesn't happen that often.
    • No, it doesn't bother me AT ALL.
    • Yes, it does
    • Other

I get upset with my parents because they know that I don't want a junk food diet for my children while they are there. But only because my children are there semiregularly... For other families that we may be visiting and don't have such an intimate relationship with, I don't worry about it. I just teach my kids to be gracious recipients.

I get upset with my parents because they know that I don't want a junk food diet for my children while they are there. But only because my children are there semiregularly... For other families that we may be visiting and don't have such an intimate relationship with, I don't worry about it. I just teach my kids to be gracious recipients.

Hmm, I want my kids to be gracious recipients too BUT it seems like every time I turn around they are getting junk. :confused: My son, is a sugar crazy boy. He will stuff himself on candy until he throws up.

For example: Dance class, the kids come out with a bag of skittles :001_huh:

My neighbors, they get all kinds of junk and just today they came home with a bag of these... pasta chips? They had about 6 different food colorings in them (and they look like twisted pasta) and this was 15 minutes before dinner. :confused:

The bank = lollipops

Grandparents = Dunkin Donuts, cookies, ice cream, lindt chocolate truffles

Birthday parties = Goody Bags (sometimes filled with SO MUCH candy from a piĂƒÂ±ata.

Friends meeting at the park = bags of cookies or chips (Why do they bring enough for everyone??????)

I feel like I'm being bombarded with junk and I feel like the bad guy always saying no.

Hmm, I want my kids to be gracious recipients too BUT it seems like every time I turn around they are getting junk. :confused: My son, is a sugar crazy boy. He will stuff himself on candy until he throws up.

For example: Dance class, the kids come out with a bag of skittles :001_huh:

My neighbors, they get all kinds of junk and just today they came home with a bag of these... pasta chips? They had about 6 different food colorings in them (and they look like twisted pasta) and this was 15 minutes before dinner. :confused:

The bank = lollipops

Grandparents = Dunkin Donuts, cookies, ice cream, lindt chocolate truffles

Birthday parties = Goody Bags (sometimes filled with SO MUCH candy from a piĂƒÂ±ata.

Friends meeting at the park = bags of cookies or chips (Why do they bring enough for everyone??????)

I feel like I'm being bombarded with junk and I feel like the bad guy always saying no.

I think you are being bomarded with junk. My kids get lollipops at church every week but I think that's it. We have a lot of health nuts and vegetarians in my area. They share carrots. LOL

No, it doesn't bother me. I think as long as we are eating healthy food at home, which is the vast majority of the time, occasions when they get junky food from other people won't matter much. I know that it's their way of trying to do something nice for my kids, and since it won't hurt them, I try to appreciate it even if it wouldn't be my choice.

No, I try to keep their at home diets healthy. But special occasions or visiting other peoples homes will mean junk at times. I'm guilty of feeding visiting kids pizza, salad, chips, and cookies at my house. I think it's about moderation.

Oh, I AGREE! all about moderation! I love to bake cookies, make pudding etc. with my kids but I feel like it's not in moderation because it seems like every where I go someone wants to give my kids a treat.

If my kids went to your house and had cookies, after they came from dance class and had a bag of skittles, then came home and had dinner then wanted to have the homemade chocolate pudding that we made in the morning... I consider that too much. But arrrggghhh! I feel like I'm being unreasonable so I probably am! :P

Yes, it bothers me.

We aren't health nuts or anything, so I try to be gracious, but I'm so sick of people equating junk with friendliness.

I have to watch my kids like hawks when we visit one particular relative. She's been known to give my kids brownies, cookies, cake, cupcakes AND ice cream over the course of one visit. And she acts offended when they eat vegetables or fruit salad. :confused:

90% of candy, treats etc. are handed over to me by my kids. It goes on the snack shelf where it all the candy and really bad stuff mysteriously disappears and the kids never even notice (and no, it doesn't disappear in to me!) I will allow most cookies (I figure cookies have some nutritional value!) They can choose from the snack shelf at prearranged snack times.

Often at church etc. I will go out of my way to provide some more healthy choices to the snack spread - then I tell my kids to make the healthy choices.

My pet peeve is soda - we do not have it at home. It used to be allowed only once or twice a year - at family Christmas and Thanksgiving celebrations. Now the fridge at church is stocked with the stuff, neighbor moms hand out sodas, etc. I've had to specifically ban my kids from drinking the stuff.

No, it doesn't bother me. I think as long as we are eating healthy food at home, which is the vast majority of the time, occasions when they get junky food from other people won't matter much. I know that it's their way of trying to do something nice for my kids, and since it won't hurt them, I try to appreciate it even if it wouldn't be my choice.

This is the way I want to feel :) But my kids are getting stuff *more* than just occasionally. sigh. I need to have a talk with the neighbors. I know I'm going to come off as a loon who is too strict and doesn't know about moderation. :glare:

I would say my kids are offered junk food (and I DON"T MEAN HOMEMADE COOKIES etc. I mean stuff with food coloring, preservatives and MSG etc).

If someone baked cookies and offered one to my kids, I think that's wonderful! Why doesn't anyone I know seem to bake anymore???????

You should see what my kids are offered (not directed at you Erica, in general!) literally, it is junk food and it is EVERY day.

Suddenly I feel like I'm arguing and trying to justify why I feel so crazy about this tonight. I think I need a good nights sleep. :) It all started with the camp fire this afternoon (marshmallows/chocolate, then the bag of fake MSG chips) then my kids not eating dinner and still wanting the pudding we made this morning...

Yes, it bothers me.

We aren't health nuts or anything, so I try to be gracious, but I'm so sick of people equating junk with friendliness.

I have to watch my kids like hawks when we visit one particular relative. She's been known to give my kids brownies, cookies, cake, cupcakes AND ice cream over the course of one visit. And she acts offended when they eat vegetables or fruit salad. :confused:

Thank you for your response, for some reason I feel better that someone else feels this way. :)

I feel like it's just me (and maybe it is). :(

Well, there are at least 2 of us. YES! I mind a lot. For our son a very little bit can put him over. He is not a fun person to be around then AT ALL!

Everyone knows by now that it is a no,no to even offer.

Yes, it bothers me. And it's not just the junk food. We're vegans who avoid refined sugar for ethical reasons. And I've lost count of the number of times people have tried to give my kids food they shouldn't eat, and to do so without even asking me.

But, yes, even the junk food annoys me. I mean, we eat our share of junk food, but I'd like to be the one to decide when it's appropriate for my kids to do so.

It drives me insane! Granted, the only place my kids are really given junk is my parents house. My DD does get two animal crackers each Monday night when leaving dance. But I'm fine with animal crackers. But at my parents house, they are always giving candy, cookies, snack cakes, etc. I've started instructing my daughter (she just turned five) not to eat any junk when over there. And she's excellent about it. Actually, just today my mom offered her a cookie and my daughter called me and aske me if she could have it. It was a rather large cookie, so I agreed to half of it. But yes, it does drive me crazy LOL.

I voted the first option, because it doesn't happen all that often. If once and a while they're at a friend's house and have an Oreo, I'm not going to have a conniption.

BUT, if it were happening regularly with people they frequently see (i.e. if grandparents were constantly feeding them junk) then yes, it would bother me a great deal.

Ok, I voted "no, because it just doesn't happen that often". Yes, it would absolutely bother me if my kids were given junk food regularly by relatives, friends and neighbors. (And, yes, I find it really irritating when my mother does it)

But, in our world, most of our friends and family who would give my kids something eat as well as we do, and are at least as mindful of offering goodies as we are.

So if the lady at the haircut place asks me if they are allowed to have sugar, and pulls out a jar of lollipops, I don't begrudge them the treat. (And I am most appreciative that she asked discreetly before offering.)

My head would fly off if they came out of a regular lesson with Skittles every time, though.

Everyone that we know knows that they have to ask before offering the dc food. We have a variety of allergies and one dd with type 1 diabetes...gotta' count those carbs and stick to a schedule! No cheating allowed on the carbs or the allergies and the dc know it too.:) I checked "other" since I am not offended if people offer them food, we are just really good at politely declining it.

Yes, it bothers me a lot, especially because my ds has several serious allergies. My kids know how to say "no thank you" or accept graciously and hand over the stuff to me. I think it could be a real problem if my kids responded differently, though. Even if my ds didn't have allergies I wouldn't want my kids eating the stuff people hand out. There's just no reason to eat that kind of fake food.

It's unfortunate that happiness and generosity, a community spirit, has to be translated into eating, and eating junk.

My older children are old enough and know how to read labels well enough to know what they can eat. They also know what I'd like them to eat, but they are old enough that they should practice making their own choices away from home. Additionally, when I know my dc are going to be at someone's home long enough to eat they take snacks because they have allergies and celiac. Just about everyone my dc visit know our food issues.

That said, I don't understand people who give food to younger children without knowing what the parent would want. Whenever a child has approached me for food (at a church gathering, impromptu popsicles on the sidewalk, etc), I always say they must ask their mom if this is ok.

My dd was 4 when she was diagnosed with multiple food allergies and celiac. I taught her to always ask me about food before she learned to read. When she attended kid events she always brought a lunchbox full of desirable food. I was appalled when she attended a party with her lunchbox and another mom (not the host, but someone well aware of our health issues) insisted dd eat some of the party food. dd was well acquainted with this mom and knew I was acquainted with her so she thought if this other mom was insisting it was ok then it must be ok. I was livid when I found what my dd was eating--the mom's knew dd had her own food.

It doesn't bother me at all but I always thought it was impolite not to ask the *parent* first if the child could have a cookie or other treat. It does not seem like that is the norm though.

I am always thankful when someone informs me of their child's dietary restrictions or preferences. I am also very impressed with the vast majority of parents I know who, for various reasons, don't eat certain foods - and I am even more impressed with their children. The kids read the labels on food and politely decline it if they feel they should.

What does annoy me, though is if the parent *doesn't* inform me of the dietary stuff, and then gets all huffy puffy because I gave a kid a typical kid food like a fruit roll up. I mean I'm not a mind reader here, ya know!

I also get a little annoyed when people bring their kids to a party and don't notify me he can't have the normal party stuff. If I knew, I would have had something special there for the kid.

I haven't run into this much, but I hate when people feel the need to give me a lecture about how superior their food choices are. I mean I love to hear about their choice, interesting facts, that kind of thing. I just don't like it when a lecture comes with it. I'm sure they wouldn't like it if I started telling them how wonderful it would be to take their vegetarian kid out for a steak. :tongue_smilie:

Edited by Academy of Jedi Arts

Eh, I think this bothered me more when I was younger. Now that I have grown and almost-grown budding foodies I realize the junk food at the houses of friends and relatives in the long run only served to underscore the difference between garbage food and the good stuff. I think it depends on how much time your kids spend at others' houses vs. your own. Once the balance tips to greater than 50% you have a potential problem.

Barb

No, I try to keep their at home diets healthy. But special occasions or visiting other peoples homes will mean junk at times. I'm guilty of feeding visiting kids pizza, salad, chips, and cookies at my house. I think it's about moderation.

:iagree:

I'm of the school of thought that it's almost a grandparent's right to feed the kids junk they know their parents won't let them have at home, but I don't think that "right" should be exercised until the kids have already discovered the junk. Don't feed my kid ice cream while she still thinks mangoes and strawberries are the greatest things in the world! Miss 2's grandmother gave her a lolly the other week and she carried it around for about half an hour, licked it a few times and eventually left it on the ground in the dirt. I was very happy. I'd told MIL not to give it to her. I hate it when I'm told "a little bit won't do any harm." My dad is big on that. I'm not really sure how many little bits it takes to create harm, and I'm sure I'll be teaching them enough bad habits. I don't need support in teaching them more!

I mean, we eat our share of junk food, but I'd like to be the one to decide when it's appropriate for my kids to do so.

Mm. We're mostly vegan too and while I don't object to the kids having a bit of meat or cheese on occasion, I think I have the right to say when and how much. I'm the one who knows what they've been eating recently.

Rosie

Edited by Rosie_0801

I answered "Yes," because it does bother me.

But the whole notion of "We have to feed the kids!" bothers me. I see Sunday School teachers who bring donuts, quickbreads, and juice to class. I see 4-H groups and scouts who serve snacks. Even sports teams! I don't understand the need to feed children at every event, healthy foods or not.

Now, I don't make a big deal about it either. I'm not going to get upset when any of my dc emerge from a class with suckers, or whatever. But I do try to remind them that just because a food is offered doesn't mean they have to eat it.

I feel like it's just me (and maybe it is). :(

ETA: I'm talking JUNK food, not freshly baked muffins or cookies but store bought, loaded with preservatives, food coloring and HFCS.

No, it isn't just you! If that kind of garbage was being pushed on my kid regularly I'd be fuming. Fortunately, most people who know us know to ask the parents before offering ds any snacks. The people who have been most unreasonable about respecting our choices have been certain members of my family. :confused:

I feel like I'm being unreasonable so I probably am! :P

You are not being unreasonable. People who push garbage on other people's children and then get offended are being unreasonable! :D

Nope, doesn't bother me at all. I give my kids stuff like that too, though.

ETA: I should probably point out that I do watch carefully because I have one child with a severe soy allergy and lactose intolerance...between those two products he can barely eat any pre-packaged foods. And I do ask other parents what types of foods their kids can have and if the children have allergies. But we eat chips, cookies, jelly beans, ice cream, etc. at home, so I haven't got a problem with other people feeding it to my kids.

Edited by chaik76

I think it depends on how much time your kids spend at others' houses vs. your own. Once the balance tips to greater than 50% you have a potential problem.

Barb

My kids have friends in 3 houses plus ours on our block and the kids go from house to house (not for snacks, just to play) so they could theoretically be getting 3 snacks before coming back to our house in just a matter of 15 minutes! Plus, we do go out to the bank, sometimes stopping at the park, grandma's so you add that on top of the neighbor thing and it is too much. The other kids do spend time at our house but they do like to hit each yard and now that it's nice out I don't want them IN their friends house, just their yard. I was thinking that would help but one of the neighbor's had a camp fire this afternoon in their yard, so that didn't help. We had a campfire last night, and just as I was telling dh that we don't ALWAYS need marshmallow's when we make a fire --- one neighbor comes over with a bag of them and another neighbor comes over with chocolate!

My son craves sugar and snacks and while all the other neighbor kids will come over and say "no thanks" to a snack, my son would NEVER turn down a snack and I know he asks for snacks. I went out to lunch with a friend last week and our kids ordered milkshakes, my ds ... well, let's just say it was embarrassing! He looked like he had not had any thing to eat or drink in a week. :confused:

I think you have two missions: feed your kids well at home, and refuse to accept sweets.

I have had shopkeepers, the doctor's office, and whoever offer candy, and many times, I distract the kids and/or say no. But I figure a lollipop once in a while really is okay. My kids eat a small amount of treats (greasy and sugary, and otherwise...) that I make at home, but I don't like sugar-only type things like candy or soda. Plus, after accompanying me to the dentist recently, they are not eager to get their own dental work done!

I think parents who instill good eating habits see the benefit in the long term. Eating a bunch of candy doesn't make you feel as good as healthy food, and most of the time, kids realize that. Dr Sears has a book on diet, but I haven't gotten around to reading it yet....

Edited to add: it seems like you have an inordinate number of people offering your children sweets or other things you don't want them to eat. You should just be direct with those people, and tell them it's gotten out of control, please don't give your kids sweets/snacks. Some of them will listen.

No, it wouldn't bother me. It actually never happens, so I cannot imagine it going from never happening to always happening. Always would be a problem. If my boys have dessert at Grandma's, they tell me, and they don't get any at home.

There are times the neighborhood boys are over, and I want to offer them peanut butter cookies or a popsicle, but then I remember things I've learned on this site -- food allergies, lawsuits, parents being upset that their children have junk food, so I don't. I think it would be fun to do this every once in a while, but I guess I just have to play it safe.

I think you have two missions: feed your kids well at home, and refuse to accept sweets.

Yes! Those are my new missions.

Edited to add: it seems like you have an inordinate number of people offering your children sweets or other things you don't want them to eat.

I know, it is weird, right? wow, I need to stop thinking about it and try to train my kids to say no and have a talk with my neighbors without coming off as a crazy woman.

My kids have friends in 3 houses plus ours on our block and the kids go from house to house (not for snacks, just to play) so they could theoretically be getting 3 snacks before coming back to our house in just a matter of 15 minutes! Plus, we do go out to the bank, sometimes stopping at the park, grandma's so you add that on top of the neighbor thing and it is too much.

I totally get where this could be a bigger deal to you than it would be to me. My parents live 2500 miles away and the kids are only at the neighbors' houses sporadically. I leave my kids at home with the oldest when I run errands. Your circumstances are different. I can afford to be a little more laid back than you.

Barb

Ha! Try having a friend slip your 4 yo a hand full of jelly beans moments before bedtime!

Actually, I didn't care, gave her permission in fact, because I was leaving with said friend, and it was Daddy that was doing bedtime. :lol:

Its honestly no big whoop here. Special Mama is the only one that slips my kids the occasional treat, and except for now having a 4 yo jelly bean addict, all is well.

Unfortunately, I was probably the parent giving other people's children junk food. Other parents knew that was the hazard of allowing their children to hang out at our house -- which they did, freely and often.

I think offering a child snacks while they are at your house is entirely different - - if they are there while your kids have a snack, it's hardly your job to keep track of what their moms want them to have, or to offer them something different!

Grandparents offering treats wouldn't bother me that much, if my parents didn't think it was funny to see how much junk food and television they can shovel into my kids at a go. They want to serve pizza for lunch, with soda to drink, snack cakes for dessert, and candy to go - every. single. time. Why?

Personally, I'm much more irritated by the whole lessons/activity scenario. As others have posted, why on earth does food have to be part of every event, even ones that last less than an hour?? I don't think the music teacher should have a huge bag of lollies to 'reward' kids with. I don't think Sunday School lessons should include donuts. I do think the relentless pushing of food is a definite factor in the childhood obesity epidemic.

There are times the neighborhood boys are over, and I want to offer them peanut butter cookies or a popsicle, but then I remember things I've learned on this site -- food allergies, lawsuits, parents being upset that their children have junk food, so I don't. I think it would be fun to do this every once in a while, but I guess I just have to play it safe.

First of all, you are lucky! I seem to have a really junk-food-type neighborhood and my kids have very, very good friends that all live on our block.

I feel like I'm talking about something totally different that just having a popsicle at a friends house every once in while, kwim? Because that sounds really nice!

Dawn,

this is what my son came home with in his hand today 15 minutes before dinner!:

FRITOS_FLAVOR_TWISTS_Honey_BBQ_Flavored_Corn_Chips.gif

and these are the ingredients:

Ingredients: Whole Corn, Corn Oil, Honey Bbq Seasoning (Salt, Maltodextrin, Sugar, Brown Sugar, Onion Powder, MonoSodium Glutamate, Dextrose, Honey Solids, Spices, Tomato Powder, Molasses Solids, Autolyzed Yeast, Artificial Color [including Yellow 5 Lake, Yellow 6 Lake, Blue 2Lake, Red 40, Yellow 5, Blue 1], Natural and Artificial Flavors, Garlic Powder, Corn Starch, Citric Acid, Disodium Inosinate and Disodium Guanylate)

My son's exact words: "MOM... guess what A's mom gave me because I was sooooo hungry at her house?" me: what is that? him: "PASTA! IN A BAG! GREAT!"

Edited by Jumping In Puddles

Personally, I'm much more irritated by the whole lessons/activity scenario. As others have posted, why on earth does food have to be part of every event, even ones that last less than an hour?? I don't think the music teacher should have a huge bag of lollies to 'reward' kids with. I don't think Sunday School lessons should include donuts. I do think the relentless pushing of food is a definite factor in the childhood obesity epidemic.

:iagree: I remember it starting when my oldest were littles. All my friends brought goldfish, cheerios, cookies, fruit, baby food...whatever for a 90 minute park trip. I remember thinking even a toddler can go 90 minutes without food.

Barb

I have a friend that is doing the anti cancer diet due to family history of cancer. She doesn't buy her kids many toys, so toys are a treat. Her children have a big jar that they fill with sugary snacks that they get from birthday parties, bank tellers, etc. When it is full, they each get to buy a toy (if they've given a fair share. If they ate all theirs, they don't get a toy.)

I answered "Yes," because it does bother me.

But the whole notion of "We have to feed the kids!" bothers me. I see Sunday School teachers who bring donuts, quickbreads, and juice to class. I see 4-H groups and scouts who serve snacks. Even sports teams! I don't understand the need to feed children at every event, healthy foods or not.

yes! that's my opinion too and I'm so glad not be the first to have it for once!

what is the deal with those folks?

it's like they think people can't function without food in hand or go without food of some sort for more than an hour?

don't get me wrong, we love food. all food! LOL

and any one of my bean pole kids can eat a marine under the table it seems - but good grief enough of the constant food already.

okay

end of rant

and I'm still going to put cookie out on playdates:lol:

Oh good grief, I just typed up a huge response -- a nice one letting you know I can feel your pain and describing more about our life and such. ugh I just don't have the energy to type up 5 more paragraphs again. This has been happening a lot to me lately.

BTW -- that snack looks nasty. LOL

It doesn't bother me for a few reasons:

Generally, it evens out w/ (much) more healthy food being eaten.

Not all snacks/treats they are offered are bad (some friends/family offer healthy snacks, some don't).

Even when things are offered, my kids don't always eat them or will eat only a small amount anyway, regardless of the amount offered. Part is that is because natural inclination (for example, dd rarely chooses to eat candy), and part is because the kids know to ask me first before accepting a snack or to take only a small/reasonable/polite amount.

Overall, for us, it has not been a problem.

Oh good grief, I just typed up a huge response -- a nice one letting you know I can feel your pain and describing more about our life and such. ugh I just don't have the energy to type up 5 more paragraphs again. This has been happening a lot to me lately.

BTW -- that snack looks nasty. LOL

:lol: I hate it when that happens!

That snack is nasty. BTW, my son cried at dinner, because my dinner was so disgusting. I'm guessing he was just no longer hungry. :glare:

I'm one of those parents who will ask first. Last fall, when a neighbor's boy introduced himself to my son (and subsequently went to play video games and laugh like Beavis and Butthead and whatever it is 14 year old boys do), I went to his mother and asked if it was okay that he had pizza with us. She seemed shocked that I would ask about that, but said "I used to pay a lot of attention to that but I don't much anymore...thank you though for asking." I told her about my food allergies, and that if my son were allergic to something I wouldn't like someone just randomly shoving food down his throat, even if he wanted it.

Along that same vein, a Korean friend of mine and I discussed whether I would be able to meet her son's needs/her preferences while I was babysitting him. She graciously agreed to pack his lunch for him, and it was fine with me!

I don't LIKE the junk food, but I accept that it exists, especially at other people's houses. If we were meeting every day, then maybe I'd lay down some rules. But a buddy that DS visits once or twice a week and gets toaster streudel or fruit by the foot, I'm not worried. At home, he eats fairly well and healthy - lots of fruits, veggies, nuts, etc. - nonprocessed food. As long as a good 80 or 90% of his foods are coming from our home and our ideas of healthful, then I'm OK w/ that 10% being something "other" (within reason of course!)

It drives me crazy. Especially b/c I have banned anything that has corn syrup or preservatives, additives, etc..

So, I am ALWAYS the bad guy saying "No, I'm sorry you can't have that."

It sounds stuck up to say, "I'm sorry, we don't eat that." I still have not perfected how to put it nicely.

Lately I have just been saying "Thank you, that is so nice." Then I throw it away.

How horrible am I??

(BTW, the barber, bankers & farmers market always do this)

The bank likes to give out candy. We really try to limit candy. My husband had the most horrible habit of bringing it home. He never listened when I told him it could damage teeth. My youngest had excessive cavities last year. We are not talking one or two, it seemed every tooth either had a cavitity or was touching one. We spent a lot of money, making weekly visits because they could not fill a whole mouth at once. One tooth is now gone with a spacer. We spent close to $2000. They explained because her teeth were so close together, and the lack of flossing it is not unusual. We are extremely careful about sugar. No new cavities after that. Everyone please FLOSS!!! I am so embarassed to admit we did not take proper care of her teeth. On the other hand, the other child was cavity free without flossing. Now they both floss.

I have a child with food allergies. I hate it when people offer food of any kind, but junk is the worst! Our society is way too food centered. You can't blink without people thinking they need to feed kids. Fresh fruits and veggies aren't going to be an allergy issue and will be healthy too, but no one ever offers those :confused: