Menu

Old WTM Board Poster's Who are you?

This is our 4th year of HSing, and I found the boards about the same time we started. I lurk quite a bit, but, as you can see from my number of posts, I don't post often (and not near as often as I did on the old boards). This is probably because I can find answers to my questions more efficiently now.

Have always been Maisy (well, except for a short time early on when we had an influx of Lisas from Texas--then I switched).

Still glad to have this resource--new or old.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Always as katalaska...even though we don't live in Alaska anymore...

I started lurking around the boards right after reading TWTM...so probably 2001?? I know we started "preschooling" that year with my oldest dd.

I've been off and on the boards depending on where I've been in my life. Sometimes I've been really "needy" and asked a lot of questions. Sometimes I've responded to a lot of posts. Lately I'm back to periodic lurking...

Hi Pam!

I've not kept up with things well, but I see you've gotten your RN! Congrats!

Are you working now? What area?

It seems just the other day that you were preparing to move to start school.

Time surely passes quickly!

Janie

I was "molly's mom" but a few months after the switchover, for some reason, my "molly's mom" account wouldn't work; kept getting that "server busy, try back later" message, so I changed it to my real name, which is "Astrid."

Still haven't been able to bring myself to change my siggy, though--- one of my giant hairy dogs died of breast cancer in June, and I just can't remove her name. Sob.

astrid

I was on the old boards, but I was taking more advice than I was dishing out ;)

I started homeschooling when we moved to NY in 2000 --oldest was finishing up his K year, and I heard Sabrina [from the old boards -Hi Sabrina!] talk about SOTW/ Activity Guide at a LEAH homeschool meeting in early 2001, so i found the boards before finding WTM :) I know it was before 9/11. i have since implemented a few WTM-ish things in our school, even tho I'm not a classical-kinda gal. I finally got my own copy of the book this past year, lol.

I had been posting at VegSource, found my way to TeachingMom, and then added WTM to my list. Originally i posted as Amy, NY [not Amy in NY], but since we were planning on coming back to TX anyway, i switched to something geographically neutral :)

i do miss the info-at-a-glance style of the old boards. Discussions i never would have clicked to open were staring me in the face with great answers in the subsequent subject lines. The State Roll Call feature just ain't the same ;)

This is what I went by on the old board but did not post much...same as now. I take long breaks then get back into it when other things are not pressing. Above is what I went by then.

mrsdrcook was my aol name. It also brings back humble memories of when students at my former place of employment didn't know my name until I got married and then became Mrs. Cook. :tongue_smilie:

I've been on the boards for a few years now, I came here around 2001, I think. I hardly ever posted, though, I was so intimidated by the erudition of all these classical moms!

But I've taken all my best ideas from the boards, and my family has benefitted enormously from the time I spend hanging out here. :D

I really miss CED, Ree, and MFS (who still posts, methinks?, just not as frequently as I would like).

Please chime in if you were a poster on the old board

I loved the advise from the old board.

When I first started homeschooling, the old board poster's were my "mentors"

I never posted back then but read everything they posted.

I know boards change, people move on, but I was just curious who was still hanging out here (that posted advise) not a lurker like myself

I'm me. :-) 3 yrs or so...

I know boards change, people move on, but I was just curious who was still hanging out here (that posted advise) not a lurker like myself

I'm from the old board, but was only on a year before it switched over to these.

This is my 10th year to home school oldest dd. Middle dd was home schooled from grades 1-5 and has recently come back home for 10-12. Youngest dd is in PS at the moment--subject to change next year depending on how the school/teacher thing works out (some VERY good teachers in 2nd grade but a few loose wires too...).

This is my eighth year on the WTM boards. I am and was, Lizzie in Ma

Hi Pam!

I've not kept up with things well, but I see you've gotten your RN! Congrats!

Are you working now? What area?

It seems just the other day that you were preparing to move to start school.

Time surely passes quickly!

Janie

Thanks! Yes, I'm working in ortho/neuro/trauma progressive care (step down from the ICU) at the medical center. I'm still orienting, but wow do I love it!

I only pop in every few months now. Facebook is down so, well, here I am! I have been here since early 2000 or late 1999. My kids are all in private school now but I find it hard not to peek in on this board here and there. I just need to know what everyone is reading! The thing I think of instantly when I think of the early days here are the "math curriculum wars." It was crazy. I still can't imagine getting so emotional about Saxon or Singapore! Tooooo funny! :D

Guest Lorna

I was on the old board too. I used 'Susie' as a name then. I can't remember if I simply changed it to Lorna (real name) with the board change or before.

I was on the old boards; I think I began around 2002

I found TWTM because David Albert used to trash TWTM methods on the TAGMAX Listserve. His criticisms (too structured, too linear, too much seatwork) really piqued my curiosity because until then I'd been highly influenced by the unschoolers on the gifted homeschoolers listserve, and unschooling wasn't fitting us well. So I trucked on over when Jenna was about 5 and I was starting to fold her into our educational endeavors. That was 9-10 years ago, so late 1999 I guess.

Just goes to prove there is no such thing as bad publicity.

We were living in a large, rambling rancher in Oklahoma at the time and we got a roll of paper and made a huge timeline all up and down the hallways. It was sooo cool. I was more fun back then, sigh. Jenna's story about "Snow" is listed (or used to be, I don't know if they are still up) on the homepage under homeschooling samples.

Barb

I *know* was on at least during 1999, because I remember the Y2K concerns, lol.

I don't post nearly as much as I did on the 'old' format, but I still read and post here, occasionally. It's too much fun and I feel too much of a connection to give it up, completely!

Ditto!

I switched from posting as hometoteach to Andie not long before the board switch, I think.

I was there - sing it with me! "Those were the days"! These are the days, too, though of course.

I've been Jenn in Mo for about 7 years now, except a brief stint as BigEdna....it was just fun to say. But it drove 4kids4me nutty, so I switched back.

I do believe you did time as BluePickle, too, didn'tcha? ;)

I rarely posted on the old boards - dial-up, doncha know - but have been lurking and posting since probably 1999??? I'm guessing, here. I used to be Heather in CT. . . . .little did I know I would need to change my boardname for geographical reasons!

I'm not crazy about my board name, but it's utilitarian. Should probably be 1bassoon. Oh, well!