Menu

What subject excites YOU?

rafiki

Mostly I enjoy real life learning and "life skills". I enjoy teaching my daughter to cook and clean , to care for a garden and animals, to do handicrafts and such.

As far as the traditional subjects go, I like English. In school, I was very good at grammar and reading. Dd seems to take after me, so English is a subject I enjoy. I am not certain I can say that it "excites" me :lol:, but I do enjoy it. I even like diagramming sentences. :D

Phonics!

My remedial students are particularly rewarding, when they finally start to enjoy reading and be able to read a book. Also, they generally start to improve in other subjects in school as well, their self-confidence improves, it's just amazing to watch the change.

Of course, I'd rather the schools quit using sight words and just taught everyone to read with phonics so I'd have no more remedial students, but it is an amazing change and you get a great feeling of accomplishment that you've really impacted their life.

I've enjoyed teaching my daughter phonics too, but it was more of a gradual process, you don't get as much reward in as little time.

Overall, I enjoy learning new things, and I'm happy to learn things I didn't know before--so far that's just been history and science. My husband also likes to hear when I learn a new thing, and often he doesn't know them, either!

I was never a history fan, but I'm pretty excited about it now.

:iagree:

Textbooks killed history for me. I read widely, and read about every subject. But, I didn't read any history for years after being out of school. After finding some good narrative style history books and books that studied history from interesting, analytical viewpoints (Sowell's Culture series, Strauss and Howe's Gererations, Hobhouse's Seeds of Change and David Hackett Fisher's Albion's Seed), I have now learned to enjoy history and am enjoying looking for chronological connections and progressions.

Latin... Oh, but I enjoy History too.... Oh, and Science, I LOVE Science! Even Grammar has its own rewards, hearing him recite poetry is very satisfying... Oh, and Cursive, that's been great fun, it's like a 'coming of age' moment in our day, Andrew understands 'grown-up writing.'

But, mostly Latin :)

History (love it!) and grammar (grammar geek - this is the first year I've actually taught it as a subject - before this it's been pretty extemporaneous), and actually - I'm liking teaching math more and more!

Figures, just as I'm getting really comfy with Singapore and they way they teach, we'll soon be falling off the end of Primary math (we're in 5B) and into unknown territory with upper-level math...

I really, really love sharing awesome books with the kids. We're working our way through the Narnia books right now and it's awesome to see them loving them as much as I did growing up.

Math is the bane of my homeschooling existence and we are loving history using the d'aulaire books!

After art, I'd have to say I love to teach history, writing and read aloud literature. I am an art teacher by profession, but don't seem to fit it in at home as much as I should...still love it though. And its a natural fit to add history and literature to the visual arts.

Blessings,

Lucinda

History. It's always been my favorite thing, since I was a kid. I love history, my kids love history, and it's the central focus of our homeschool. In my opinion, if you don't understand/appreciate the story of humanity, very little else matters.

Also, and oddly, math. I always hated math and felt like it was a series of rules to follow. Using RightStart has shown me that that's not at all what math is about. I'm excited about the math discoveries I'm making, not to mention those of my kids!

Tara

History, Geography, Science and Latin. (actually ANY foreign language, but Latin is my favorite:D)

I DO love Math and Arts/Music as well. Unfortunately, ds does not share my excitement and enthusiasm for any of these!

Sonja

Homeschooling JUST ONE - ds 9